AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 02:07 am
@ican711nm,
Federal specified health care - or in this case, much tighter regulations on the insurance industries - is 'providing for the general welfare' of the United States.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 03:08 pm
@wandeljw,
Sorry, I meant to reply to you earlier but got caught up in something here at home and just remembered your question:
Quote:
I think that primary elections in Florida are not until late August. Crist v. Rubio in the Republican primary sounds interesting but a lot can happen between now and August. Are Tea Party conservatives expressing any preference?

Indeed, that a lot can happen in a short period of time RE politics is quite true. Tea Partiers love Rubio because he espouses their main goal: To decrease the size of government. This would, in turn, automatically address T-Partiers' Main concerns of the nation's escalating debt and the federal government's increased intrusion into private lives which they feel leads to decreased individual rights. Smaller government also allows for the opportunity to decrease taxes, allowing more capital to stay in the private sector where its allocation is more efficient. Here is Rubio
Quote:
:"The tea party is about the anger over Washington's excesses that began under a Republican administration and Congress. Republicans have been guilty of expanding government," Mr. Rubio told The Washington Times in an interview. "But in the last 12 months, government has expanded at an even more alarming pace.

"And that expansion is what propels the massive pushback, which has become known as the tea party movement," said Mr. Rubio, who will give the keynote address Thursday at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), a three-day event at which the tea party phenomenon will be a primary topic.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/feb/18/rubio-takes-tea-but-says-its-no-party/

Hi, wandeljw.
Rubio has been called the "first Tea Party Candidate". This more in spirit than fact for it is more likely that the Tea Party will be more of a conservative faction of the GOP then a stand alone party. This is as it should be, for a system with more than two political parties tends to divide up elections and prolong thru run offs. The American two party system tends to solve factional differences thru primaries, party conventions and or caucuses. Perhaps this is a distinction sans difference but it works well for us. I, as a fiscal conservative, see the Tea Party as a force to move the GOP to the right, that is, back to its traditional fiscal principles.
For us conservatives Rubio is a bright light for the GOP because he is young and truly conservative. If we, as conservatives, are to effect lasting change our candidates must have principled beliefs which guide their legislative efforts (or lack of). Also,long term, we need young people like Rubio rather than those 'Moderates' such as McCain, Graham, and Romney The MSM have started to anoint Romney as the next Repub Candidate for president (he recently published the requisite book). Hopefully, he is just a place keeper. But at least he can take the liberal MSM heat of Sarah for a little while. Alternatively, this does not mean that Palin will be tapped by the GOP for Pres candidate. Her biggest value presently might be as liason between the Tea Party conservatives and the GOP establishment. Personally I like Rep. Paul Ryan (who is doing an excellent job putting forth the GOP congressional position on Obamacare) but he has denied any such interest. But stranger things have happened. Smile

JM

wandeljw

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 03:44 pm
@JamesMorrison,
Thanks for the analysis, JM. I think Tea Party leaders now realize that they must stay within the Republican party.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 04:00 pm
@wandeljw,
I am not sure Marco Rubio wants to be identified as a "Teaparty" guy. He is intriguing as young, emerging conservative voice.
JamesMorrison

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 06:35 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
I wonder why you think it's inappropriate for the government to warn people that Toyotas have been accelerating without control and killing people; maybe you think they should just keep their mouths shut about it, so that no right-wingers such as yourself could intimate that there is corruption going on in order to sell Chevys?
Which targets my own statement:
Quote:
Given the present Administration’s efforts against (non-government owned) Toyota why not investigate Al Gore's cottage industry of AGW? Oh, that's right...

I might ask: Exactly where in my statement did I say (or even imply) that it is inappropriate for government to warn people of dangerous situations and issue valid and responsible statements towards their safety? Is this another thinly veiled progressive standard Alinskian invective to portray conservatives as "selfish and uncaring?

My post was obviously directed at the present Obama Administration and not government per say. In 2009 there were 16.9 million vehicle recalls, these usually handled by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. As far as I know this was the first and only one that warranted this Sec. of Transportation's voluntary injection of himself into the fray. This action, although unusual, is not necessarily damning. But as a member of an Administration that decries conservative's criticisms about some of Obamacare's more unsavory parts as "fear mongering" LaHood's comments ("This is a big deal, this is a big safety issue", his further shocking "advice is, if anybody owns one of these vehicles, stop driving it.”) are certainly questionable if only from the Administration’s own point of view about such cries of "Wolf!”. The proof that all this is pure hyperbole is provided by LaHood himself who, when later asked about these comments, admitted he “misspoke”.

Well, thank God, but then there is this sequential news:

**UAW lobbyist Alan Reuther demanded Toyota make amends by keeping open a unionized factory in California, currently scheduled for closure.

**Chrysler, GM and Ford started offering cash incentives for car buyers to trade in recalled Toyotas for domestic wares.

**The angry phone calls to Washington only increased last week when four governors"three Republicans and Kentucky Democrat Steve Beshear"sent a sharp letter to Congress, accusing the administration of a "conflict of interest." They unsubtly noted that many recent recalls were "as serious as or more serious" than Toyota's.

Indeed for these and many more reasons LaHood has back peddled.

Toyota had, in previous internal e-mails, sensed an anti-corporate mindset with this Administration. Little did they suspect that they would be targeted specifically. This is just what a nation with an under/unemployment figure approaching 1/5 of total workers needs: an executive branch in partnership with the legislative majority that hates entities (large corporations- you know those non union organizations that the left says don ‘t deserve free political speech) that provide thousands of well paying industrial jobs, unless, of course, they can get a piece of that through union dues.
Because of this dust-up (and the resultant threat to personal careers) many Dems, hoping it dies quietly, have gone silent and now have left this issue to the NHTSA where it belongs,.

RE your
Quote:
The EPA isn't doing anything by 'fiat.' The SC - a Conservative-dominated SC - ruled that they are within their rights to regulate our economy based on emissions of CO2. Or perhaps you forgot that ruling?

Perhaps you meant to say something else here? But I do not believe this is true. Please show, via EPA's Congressional mandate creating same, where the EPA is charged with regulating the U.S. economy (SCOTUS or no SCOTUS rulings) in any way. Also a very, very, very important note to those unfamiliar with both the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution: The EPA has no rights only individuals (American in this case) do.
The Administration's intent is perfectly clear here. When Congress refused to pass the Cap and Tax legislation the Obama Admin (via the EPA) admonished it and then threatened to extort American citizens (in the form of the congress via its regulations procedure) with fiats so draconian that it (Congress/Americans) would be sorry. This just another example of a Marxist, elitist Obama Admin that has zero tolerance for democratic institutions, scoffs at normal parliamentary procedures (except reconciliation to pass major legislation loathed by majorities) and a total disdain for individual Americans and their opinions.

JM
JamesMorrison

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:42 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
I am not sure Marco Rubio wants to be identified as a "Teaparty" guy. He is intriguing as young, emerging conservative voice.

Yes, but this seems wise. The GOP tent is larger then that of the Tea 'Party'. The Tea Partier's have passion and drive. Further, although lately the T-Partiers are becomed organized it is tough to beat the GOP's organization. This is something the T-party must earn by convincing the GOP establishment that they have viable candidates.

Also, there have been those (MSNBC's Olbermann jumps to mind) that have actively tried to link fringe groups like the Troofers and Birther's to the Tea Partiers. Keith, if I am not mistaken, was one of the first to use the term Tea Baggers to describe the members of Tea Party groups. This term has also been used to describe the act of lowering one's testicles into another's mouth or conversely raising one's mouth to envelope another's testicles. Keith used this to be funny, well I hope that all he was trying to be, but for some reason many took offense. Pointedly, Olbermann's use of the term gave more information about him then it did about his intended target.

Rubio must be careful to avoid appearing to accept such fringe group endorsments. Neither Troofers or Birthers have hard and fast evidence to support their claim. If the Olbermanns of the world have no problem inventing and using false invective what would they do to a Rubio who associates with those whose beliefs seem questionable to even mainstream conservatives.

A personal note :Troofers are nuts. Birthers may have a point but the proof that would vindicate their position has not been forthcoming, this is maddening to them, of course, but this then reduces their argument to: see, the proof that this is such a conspiracy is that there is little evidence of the conspiracy. That's how I see it now. But, perhaps, I am wrong. If so, maybe others will enlighten me, seriously. None of us should reject a well documented argument.

JM
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:20 pm
@JamesMorrison,
Quote:

I might ask: Exactly where in my statement did I say (or even imply) that it is inappropriate for government to warn people of dangerous situations and issue valid and responsible statements towards their safety? Is this another thinly veiled progressive standard Alinskian invective to portray conservatives as "selfish and uncaring?

Well, I don't know the first thing about this Alinsky fellow that you Conservatives have such a hard-on for. But I assure you, if my suggestion that Conservatives are 'selfish and uncaring' was thinly veiled, that was entirely an error on my part. There is no need to veil anything whatsoever: Conservatives are selfish and uncaring. It's a fundamental part of Conservatism.

Re: the topic at hand, you really are a conspiracy theorist/nutjob, you know that? I was posting mostly in jest when I responded to you; but you really do believe that the Obama administration targeted Toyota to sell more Chevys.

Your constant use of the term 'Marxist' to describe Democrats and the Obama administration is antiquated, misplaced and without merit. It is as if every gardener in the country referred to his work as Mountain climbing.

Cycloptichorn
wandeljw

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 12:04 pm
Here is a recent essay about mis-information from circulated e-mails:

Quote:
All I want is the truth in our public political discourse
(Steve Blow, The Dallas Morning News, February 28, 2010)

Max in Richardson probably wishes he had never e-mailed me. I had the gall to ask a question.

A few days ago Max forwarded me and 39 others an item about how President Barack Obama was irked with U.S. military veterans.

It said Obama wanted veterans to carry private health insurance to cover service-related injuries, but that opposition forced him to scrap the idea.

The e-mail said:
The President admitted that he was puzzled by the magnitude of the opposition to his proposal. "Look, it's an all-volunteer force," Obama complained. "Nobody made these guys go to war. They had to have known and accepted the risks. Now they whine about bearing the costs of their choice? It doesn't compute. ... "I thought these were people who were proud to sacrifice for their country," Obama continued. "I guess I underestimated the selfishness of some of my fellow Americans."

The e-mail cites the quotes as proof that Obama is "the worst president in American history" and urges readers to "pass this on to everyone."

I wrote back to Max and asked for the source of the quotes.

"I wish I could," he replied. "This was an e-mail that came to me, and I forwarded it. I have heard or read these comments before, but I don't know the source."

A few minutes later he e-mailed me again. "My memory is not infallible," he wrote, "but I seem to remember hearing these quotes on Channel 8 or Channel 4 news."

No, he didn't.

It took me about 60 seconds on the Internet to discover that the president never said those outrageous things.

Of course not.

The made-up quotes come from a satirical column written to ridicule the president.

But now they get passed around as fact. And I sigh once again over our low regard for truth these days.

A few days before Max's e-mail, I got a similar one. Seems like this guy's name was Pete.

He forwarded a popular e-mail making the rounds and asked why the media never reports such things.

That was easy.

"Because it's not true," I replied.

This one had to do with Michelle Obama supposedly ordering Champagne and caviar from room service at the Waldorf-Astoria. It even includes a copy of the signed bill.

But it's all bogus. Ms. Obama wasn't even in New York at the time.

I attached a link to a Web site with more information about the hoax. Pete wrote back: "No, not that. The other."

I scrolled further down his original e-mail and found the one about Ms. Obama supposedly having a far larger staff than any previous first lady.

Not true either. Her staff may be slightly larger, but it's right in line with that of Laura Bush and other predecessors.

The Internet is a wonderful thing. It spreads information like never before. But it spreads lies just as quickly.

Do we care? Or do we care more about smearing our political enemies?

Neither Pete nor Max showed any hint of regret about spreading false information.

This isn't partisan concern. I'd say the same if this was circulating about a Republican in the White House. And, no, the jabs at former President George W. Bush never reached this level.

It's so easy to determine if a circulating e-mail is true or false. Go to www.snopes.com or www.factcheck.org. Or just type a few key words into Google. Please resolve to do that before forwarding anything. If you can't confirm it, don't send it.

Our editorial pages embarked on a campaign last week to bring more civility into public discourse.

That's nice. But right now I'd settle for more truth.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 02:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Conservatives are selfish and uncaring. It's a fundamental part of Conservatism.

FALSE!
Conservatives are more unselfish and caring than those who accuse them of being selfish and uncaring.

Conservatives prefer deciding for themselves how much they will donate to which charities, and how much care they will provide which people.

Conservatives oppose those who advocate government steal money from those who earn it and give it to those who do not earn it.

Conservatives oppose those who advocate government violate the law in general and violate the Constitution of the USA in particular.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:29 pm
Quote:
Sen. Jim Bunning is taking a beating today.

He is being lambasted, mocked and ridiculed as a crazy old man
who has lost his bearings.

Why? Because Bunning is insisting that Congress pay for its
lastest spending spree -- $10 billion in an emergency
Transportation and unemployment funding measure that
Congress has not funded.

Bunning doesn't oppose the bill -- just the fact that Congress
once again is spending money without funding the spending.
They are just adding another $10 billion to the deficit!

Plus, as Bunning points out, just a few weeks ago Congress
passed the "PayGo" law that requires Congress to fully
fund any new discretionary spending! Bunning is simply
holding their feet to the fire.

And for this, Bunning is the bad guy! He's being blamed
for causing 2,000 Transportation workers to be furloughed...
for the suffering of thousands of unemployed who will miss
their unemployment checks...

CNN went so far as to put on its broadcast, "Thousands hurt
by one Senator." G.O.P. strategists are worried that
Bunning's stand will give the Democrats the advantage.

I say, hogwash! It seems Bunning may be the last man standing
in the Senate.

Someone... somewhere... must draw a line and say NO to
the endless spending spree that is pushing our nation
to the brink of bankruptcy!

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:33 pm
@ican711nm,
You forgot to report that Bunning voted against the PAYGO legislation! And that he has never had a problem adding to the debt in the past, at all.

In other words, he's a complete ******* hypocrite who is posturing for political reasons. And he's going to continue taking a beating. Not a single goddamn Republican gave a **** about the debt until the Dems were in charge. Not once did any Republican holler about 'paygo' when they were passing massive tax cuts. In fact, I'm pretty sure Bunning voted to REPEAL the old Paygo laws back in 2002!

Really, it's a favor for the Democrats.

Cycloptichorn
ican711nm

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:40 pm
@ican711nm,
Quote:

http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=19051&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=DPD
ECONOMIC FREEDOM, DEMOCRACY AND THE QUALITY OF LIFE
A capitalistic, or economically free, society is one in which institutions are characterized by personal choice, voluntary exchange, freedom to compete, and protection of person and property. It requires public policies that promote open markets, limited government, stable monetary growth, free trade and a strong rule of law, says Michael D. Stroup, a professor of economics and interim dean of the Nelson Rusche College of Business at Stephen F. Austin State University.

The Fraser Institute's Economic Freedom Index (EFI) evaluates these public institutions and policies for more than 120 countries from 1975 to the present, based on objective, measurable data, says Stroup.

In countries with relatively low levels of both economic and political freedom, adopting greater economic freedom is more likely to enhance society's well-being than increasing political rights through expanded democracy, says Stroup. Consider:

A one-unit increase in a country's EFI score is associated with a 1.3 year rise in life expectancy at birth and reduces child mortality by 16 deaths per 1,000.

However, a one-unit increase in a country's PRI [Political Rights Index] score reduces life expectancy at birth by three months and reduces child mortality rates by only one-fourth as much (four deaths per 1,000) as a similar increase in the EFI score.
Furthermore, a one-unit increase in the EFI score is associated with a 10.3 percent increase of two-year-olds with adequate vaccinations (diphtheria, pertussis and tetanus), whereas a one-point increase in PRI produces less than a 0.1 percent increase in vaccinations.
Among countries with relatively high levels of both types of freedom, enhanced political rights improve the well-being of society less than economic freedom, says Stroup. Indeed:

A one-unit increase in EFI increases life expectancy by one-and-a-half years and reduces child mortality by 14.6 deaths per 1,000.
However, a one-unit increase in PRI decreases life expectancy by four months and reduces child mortality rates by only 1.6 deaths per 1,000.
Moreover, a one-unit increase in EFI is associated with a nine-point rise in the percentage of two-year-olds with adequate vaccinations, while a one-unit increase in PRI has no significant effect.
Source: Michael D. Stroup, "Economic Freedom, Democracy and the Quality of Life," National Center for Policy Analysis, Brief Analysis No. 695, March 2, 2010.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:52 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You forgot to report that Bunning voted against the PAYGO legislation! And that he has never had a problem adding to the debt in the past, at all.

In other words, he's a complete ******* hypocrite who is posturing for political reasons. And he's going to continue taking a beating. Not a single goddamn Republican gave a **** about the debt until the Dems were in charge. Not once did any Republican holler about 'paygo' when they were passing massive tax cuts. In fact, I'm pretty sure Bunning voted to REPEAL the old Paygo laws back in 2002!

I did not forget to report "that Bunning voted against the PAYGO legislation!" I do not think that relevant. What is relevant is Bunning finally voted against a bill which violated the PAYGO legislation. AND, the PAYGO legislation should be obeyed by each and every member of the Senate, regardless of their past voting history.

PAYGO legislation is excellent legislation. It would be outstanding legislation if paying for new expenditures were to be funded by decreasing or ending some current expenditures.

Better late than never!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:09 pm
@ican711nm,
A convenient position for you to take, but the hypocrisy is simply too much to stand. It is transparently fake and the ramifications of it are harming your party.

But, by all means, I encourage him to keep it up. The optics of it are fantastic for the Democrats and horrible for the Republicans, and frankly my side needs more of that these days.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:12 pm
Quote:
There have been many emails circulating about resolutions that individuals would like you to consider. [These] Resolutions are potential additions or changes to the Texas Republican party platform in this case. [These resolutions are being provided] so that if you agree with any of the resolutions below you can ... use them as a starter for any resolution that you would like to write yourself.

1. Sherriff - 10th Amendment -
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AaIxZzppMuwLZGZ0NXZ4Z2hfMTkyZzR2M2N3aHA&hl=en

2. Cap and Trade -
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AaIxZzppMuwLZGZ0NXZ4Z2hfMTkza3h6OXA2M3o&hl=en

3. Card Check -
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AaIxZzppMuwLZGZ0NXZ4Z2hfMTk0Y3JjdjdkY2M&hl=en

4. Christian Nation -
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AaIxZzppMuwLZGZ0NXZ4Z2hfMTk1ZHAzZzc4Zjk&hl=en

5. Defense (Self defense, defense of property) - https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AaIxZzppMuwLZGZ0NXZ4Z2hfMTk2ZDczcWtuZzU&hl=en

6. Health Care Reform -
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AaIxZzppMuwLZGZ0NXZ4Z2hfMTk3cHFtemZmZ3M&hl=en

7. Interpol -
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AaIxZzppMuwLZGZ0NXZ4Z2hfMTk4d2Y3N3M2ZHg&hl=en
JamesMorrison

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:19 pm
President Obama's position that we should make our political decisions on good science seemed a hopeful note to many, such as I, that feel that the scientific method ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method ) is the only way mankind can find usable truth.

The NYT has just published an opinion piece by Al Gore ( http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/28/opinion/28gore.html ). Puzzling is his misquoting Winston Churchill given Mr. Gore’s self confessed "there at the conception" intimations and a helpful Google software. But, more importnantly, his first sentence:
Quote:
It would be an enormous relief if the recent attacks on the science of global warming actually indicated that we do not face an unimaginable calamity requiring large-scale, preventive measures to protect human civilization as we know it.
has recently met with resistance by some more science guys who have been doing this since 1874, the British Institute of Physics (IOP). The IOP, in response to a House of Commons request has produced a report on the CRU (Climatic Research Unit) of the UEA (University of East Anglia) e-mail scandal (this has since ensnared other institutions with connections to the CRU like Penn State and the UN by way of its IPPC conclusions). Here the IOP report questions whether Gore’s “science of global warming” is really science. But don’t expect Katie, Brian, or Diane to utter a syllable about this, at least not in the next few weeks. The first two paragraphs are absolutely damning of those being scrutinized. From the Memorandum submitted by the Institute of Physics (CRU 39):
Quote:
1. The Institute is concerned that, unless the disclosed e-mails are proved to be forgeries or adaptations, worrying implications arise for the integrity of scientific research in this field and for the credibility of the scientific method as practised in this context.

2. The CRU e-mails as published on the internet provide prima facie evidence of determined and co-ordinated refusals to comply with honourable scientific traditions and freedom of information law. The principle that scientists should be willing to expose their ideas and results to independent testing and replication by others, which requires the open exchange of data, procedures and materials, is vital. The lack of compliance has been confirmed by the findings of the Information Commissioner. This extends well beyond the CRU itself - most of the e-mails were exchanged with researchers in a number of other international institutions who are also involved in the formulation of the IPCC's conclusions on climate change.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmselect/cmsctech/memo/climatedata/uc3902.htm
WOW! These AGW guys not only break scientific tradition they break the nation's laws! For bureaucratic language this is scathing and this is just the tip of a very damning iceberg. It is a short report that answers some pointed questions, I urge you to read it. It is important to note that this IOP report neither declares nor denies global warming itself. What this does do is reject what these institutions and individuals have done in the name of ‘Science’ and, essentially, excoriates those, whose actions are under scrutiny, for presenting conclusions formed outside the accepted procedure globally known as the scientific method. This puts much of the “evidence”, presented by AGW (Anthropogenic Global Warming) promoting scientists and Al Gore’s homilies, in the classification of “Fruit from the poisoned tree”.

JM

0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:28 pm
@ican711nm,
Quote:
1. Sherriff - 10th Amendment -
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AaIxZzppMuwLZGZ0NXZ4Z2hfMTkyZzR2M2N3aHA&hl=en
James Madison, the’ Father of the Constitution’ wrote:

“The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The [federal powers] will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce… The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State.”

In support of the 10th Amendment

WHEREAS, Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution of the United States specifically enumerates limited authority of the federal government in the wealth, Natural Rights, and affairs of America’s citizenry,

WHEREAS, the Governor of Texas, Rick Perry, has recently indicated that the Tenth Amendment must be protected and defended from destructive federal actions,

WHEREAS, the Constitution of the United States specifically instructs the States to oversee all areas of governance inside state lines, except for the limited, enumerated powers of the Federal government,

WHEREAS, it is the sole prerogative of the States to grant un-enumerated governing privileges to the Federal government, outside the limited, enumerated powers granted in the Constitution,

WHEREAS, even though past unconstitutional Federal legislative actions or court rulings have transpired, it is the sole prerogative of the citizenry of each State to choose to reverse that course and begin to restore genuine Constitutional governance,

WHEREAS, as a truly free people, it is the sworn duty and responsibility of the State’s elected and appointed officials, and citizenry of each State, to reject and refuse compliance with unconstitutional federal assertions and/or federal court rulings, as each State sees fit,

WHEREAS, a wide diversity of State governing practices which reflect the unique morals, values, and beliefs of each State’s citizenry, provides the best defense for a nation at peace, and the best opportunity to maintain national sovereignty,

WHEREAS, in order to restore our Constitutional Republic, Texas must be the national leader and require the special interests in Washington D.C. to physically come to Texas in order to petition the Texas Legislature for all un-enumerated taxes and favors. If every state legislature adopted this requirement, governing authority would soon be returned to each state, and citizens’ wealth and freedom would be protected, and our Constitutional Republic genuinely restored.

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED: that the state Republican Party of Texas will support a state constitutional amendment that will require the Texas state legislature to approve by a 2/3rd majority all un-enumerated federal laws and regulations, wherein “enumerated” is strictly defined by Article 1, Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution. If said laws and regulations are not addressed, the federal law and/or regulations will not be complied with by the State of Texas.

Approved this __________ day of _________, 2010, at the Precinct Convention of

Precinct #__________ of the ______________ County, Republican Party of Texas.

Audit the Fed

WHEREAS, just as the Texas Declaration of Independence was written, literally, overnight, as Dictator Santa Anna boldly advanced across Texas to quell freedom and liberty, so also today Texas citizens, once again, feel compelled to act under similar, urgent circumstances,

WHEREAS, it has become self-evident that the government ‘of the people, by the people, for the people’ in Washington D.C., has deteriorated into an unquestionable, unredeemable, and hopeless condition of corruption and thievery, whose intent is discernable to even the simplest of minds; that is to confiscate citizen wealth and deprive the citizenry of their private property rights, and the most basic tenants of their Natural Rights,

WHEREAS, a Den of Corruption has been carved out in that distant city that has designed, constructed and empowered the grandest money-laundering scheme known thus far to mankind - that being the devices of the U.S. Tax Code and the Federal Reserve. So embolden have the Washington elected representatives become, that vote-buying and corruption is no longer hidden, and in fact, is thrust upon us with the expectation that it is our civic duty to support and appreciate the fraud and lawlessness that emanates from that city,

WHEREAS, the Washington D.C. elected representatives have skewered and perverted the honorable concept of ‘Taxation by Representation’. They have destroyed and disfigured it into an ugly, greedy, scandalous and shameless process, wherein the stolen wealth of our children and grandchildren is bartered out to the highest bidder,

WHEREAS, the Governor of Texas, Rick Perry, has recently indicated that the Tenth Amendment must be protected and defended from destructive federal actions,

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED: that in order to establish the legitimacy of enumerated federal spending, the state Republican Party of Texas will proposed and support a state constitutional amendment that requires the State of Texas to conduct a transparent, complete and comprehensive annual financial audit of the Federal Government, including the Federal Reserve, in order to clearly demonstrate to the citizens of Texas that their taxes are being Constitutionally procured and spent. Should the Federal Government (including Federal Courts) and Federal Reserve refuse to fully cooperate, it is the sole prerogative of the State of Texas to deny payments, in full or in part, to the Federal Government until satisfaction has been achieved.

Sherriff Resolution

Whereas, Founding Father, Thomas Jefferson stated, “When all government shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated.”,

Whereas, in the U.S. Supreme Court case ruling, Mack/Printz vs U.S. (1997), the majority stated at least three times that, “state legislatures are not subject to federal direction”,

Whereas, it is a requirement for each state to “erect barriers” to federal over-reach and intrusion in order to preserve the Constitutional “check and balance” of powers,

Whereas, the “checks and balances” have been in a state of deterioration over the past several decades, and this trend must be reversed,

Whereas, the Governor of Texas, Rick Perry, has recently indicated that the Tenth Amendment must be protected and defended from destructive federal actions,

now, therefore, be it:

Resolved, that in order to begin to restore our Constitutional Republic, and hence, restore a meaningful and reliable system of “checks and balances”, the state Republican Party of Texas will propose and support “Sheriff’s First” legislation. This legislation is an act regulating arrests, searches, and seizures, and seizures by federal employees; providing that federal employees shall obtain the county sheriff’s permission to arrest, search, and seize, providing for prosecution of federal employees violating this act; rejecting federal laws purporting to give federal employees the authority of a county sheriff in this state, and providing an immediate effective date.

[see attached example legislative wording circulating in other states. The State of Wyoming has passed this as law.]

[Sheriff’s First Sample Legislation]

HOUSE BILL NO.

INTRODUCED BY _______________________________________________________________________________

A BILL FOR AN ACT ENTITLED: "AN ACT REGULATING ARRESTS, SEARCHES, AND SEIZURES BY FEDERAL EMPLOYEES; PROVIDING THAT FEDERAL EMPLOYEES SHALL OBTAIN THE COUNTY SHERIFF'S PERMISSION TO ARREST, SEARCH, AND SEIZE; PROVIDING FOR PROSECUTION OF FEDERAL EMPLOYEES VIOLATING THIS ACT; REJECTING FEDERAL LAWS PURPORTING TO GIVE FEDERAL EMPLOYEES THE AUTHORITY OF A COUNTY SHERIFF IN THIS STATE; AND PROVIDING AN IMMEDIATE EFFECTIVE DATE."

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF Texas:

1. Purpose. It is the intent of the legislature to ensure maximum cooperation between federal employees and local law enforcement authorities; to ensure that federal employees who carry out arrests, searches, and seizures in this state receive the best local knowledge and expertise available; and to prevent misadventure affecting Texas’ citizens and their rights that results from lack of cooperation or communication between federal employees operating in Montana and properly constituted local law enforcement authorities.

2. Declaration. The elected sheriff of each county is the senior law enforcement officer of that county and is the most authoritative law enforcement official in the county. The primary duties of the sheriff are to keep the peace in the county and to secure and protect the liberties and security of the residents of the county.

3. County sheriff's permission for federal arrests, searches, and seizures -- exceptions. (1) A federal employee who is not designated by Texas law as a Texas peace officer may not make an arrest, search, or seizure in this state without the written permission of the sheriff or designee of the sheriff of the county in which the arrest, search, or seizure will occur unless:

(a) the arrest, search, or seizure will take place on a federal enclave for which jurisdiction has been actively ceded to the United States of America by a Texas statute;

(b) the federal employee witnesses the commission of a crime the nature of which requires an immediate arrest;

(c) the arrest, search, or seizure is under the provisions of 46-6-411 (close pursuit) or 46-6-412 (customs and immigration);

(d) the intended subject of the arrest, search, or seizure is an employee of the sheriff's office or is an elected county or state officer; or

(e) the federal employee has probable cause to believe that the subject of the arrest, search, or seizure has close connections with the sheriff, which connections are likely to result in the subject being informed of the impending arrest, search, or seizure.

(2) The county sheriff or designee of the sheriff may refuse permission for any reason that the sheriff or designee considers sufficient.

(3) A federal employee who desires to exercise a subsection (1)(d) exception shall obtain the written permission of the Texas attorney general for the arrest, search, or seizure unless the resulting delay in obtaining the permission would probably cause serious harm to one or more individuals or to a community or would probably cause flight of the subject of the arrest, search, or seizure in order to avoid prosecution. The attorney general may refuse the permission for any reason that the attorney general considers sufficient.

(4) A federal employee who desires to exercise a subsection (1)(e) exception shall obtain the written permission of the Texas attorney general. The request for permission must include a written statement, under oath, describing the federal employee's probable cause. The attorney general may refuse the request for any reason that the attorney general considers sufficient.

(5) (a) A permission request to the county sheriff or Texas attorney general must contain:

(i) the name of the subject of the arrest, search, or seizure;

(ii) a clear statement of probable cause for the arrest, search, or seizure or a federal arrest, search, or seizure warrant that contains a clear statement of probable cause;

(iii) a description of specific assets, if any, to be searched for or seized;

(iv) a statement of the date and time that the arrest, search, or seizure is to occur; and

(v) the address or location where the intended arrest, search, or seizure will be attempted.

(b) The request may be in letter form, either typed or handwritten, but must be countersigned with the original signature of the county sheriff or designee of the sheriff or by the Texas attorney general, to constitute valid permission. The permission is valid for 48 hours after it is signed. The sheriff or attorney general shall keep a copy of the permission request on file.

4. Remedies. (1) An arrest, search, or seizure or attempted arrest, search, or seizure in violation of [section 2] is unlawful, and individuals involved must be prosecuted by the county attorney for kidnapping if an arrest or attempted arrest occurred, for trespass if a search or attempted search occurred, for theft if a seizure or attempted seizure occurred, and for any applicable homicide offense if loss of life occurred. The individuals involved must also be charged with any other applicable criminal offenses in Title 45.

(2) To the extent possible, the victims' rights provisions of Title 46 must be extended to the victim or victims by the justice system persons and entities involved in the prosecution.

(3) The county attorney has no discretion not to prosecute once a claim of violation of [section 2] has been made by the county sheriff or designee of the sheriff, and failure to abide by this mandate subjects the county attorney to recall by the voters and to prosecution by the attorney general for official misconduct.

5. Invalid federal laws. Pursuant to the 10th amendment to the United States constitution and this state's compact with the other states, the legislature declares that any federal law purporting to give federal employees the authority of a county sheriff in this state is not recognized by and is specifically rejected by this state and is declared to be invalid in this state.

6. Effective date. [This act] is effective on passage and approval.

7. Severability. If a part of [this act] is invalid, all valid parts that are severable from the invalid part remain in effect. If a part of [this act] is invalid in one or more of its applications, the part remains in effect in all valid applications that are severable from the invalid applications.

-END-

ican711nm

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:34 pm
@ican711nm,
Quote:
2. Cap and Trade -
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AaIxZzppMuwLZGZ0NXZ4Z2hfMTkza3h6OXA2M3o&hl=en
CAP AND TRADE

WHEREAS, the “cap-and-trade” bill, which passed the House in June and is currently in the Senate, whose purpose is reducing greenhouse gas emissions and global warming by creating a system of pollution permits that energy companies must buy before releasing carbon dioxide into the atmosphere; and

WHEREAS, the whole reason for existence of the expensive cap and trade scheme in H.R. 2454 is based on the junk science theory of the global warming myth that man’s activities are producing significant temperature increases, rather than natural weather and solar cycles; and

WHEREAS, this bill would establish a whole new unconstitutional activity of the federal government and give it yet another regulatory tool for increasing the cost of doing business, which would translate into higher costs for taxpayers in an already unstable economy; and

WHEREAS, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has announced that they will enforce the same activities that the bill proposes under their current congressional authority without further congressional approval;

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, we urge the Senate to defeat this unconstitutional grab for power, that Congress block the EPA enforcement of “green house gas” emissions and open up America’s vast natural resources for energy independence and economic growth, thereby eliminating the dependence on China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, and other foreign countries for our energy needs.

0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:40 pm
@ican711nm,
Quote:

6. Health Care Reform -
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AaIxZzppMuwLZGZ0NXZ4Z2hfMTk3cHFtemZmZ3M&hl=en

HEALTH CARE REFORM

WHEREAS, the healthcare bill put forth by President Barack Obama and the Democrat members of Congress is unconstitutional and will create a complicated bureaucracy of government offices and programs that come between patients and healthcare providers; and,

WHEREAS, the bill would lead to a government-controlled healthcare system similar to the ones found in England and Canada, where patients must wait months for care that currently is routine in the United States; and

WHEREAS most citizens agree that the U.S. healthcare system is the best in the world,

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that we, the people, oppose any legislation that imposes any government control over our health care, government mandates of any kind or price controls, new government programs or the expansion of existing programs; we also urge passage of healthcare reform which results in more affordable healthcare through a competitive, open across state lines, and transparent health care system including TORT reform where America’s families choose their own doctor and health care plans.

Be it further resolved that a copy of this resolution be sent to the ERATH County Convention Resolutions Committee from Precinct #34 of the ERATH County Republican Party, with the recommendation that it be passed and sent to the State Convention Platform Committee of the Republican Party of Texas.

0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 06:12 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:

Really, it's a favor for the Democrats.

Really? So your position here is that an American Senator that did not favor passing a law is now a hypocrit for following it once it is the law of the land? The rest of your post seems to imply that the Dems are responsible for passing this very law. Is that really true? If so can you see the Democrats being hoisted upon their own petard here? (here I must post the emoticon of a Cycloptichornic like joke) Rolling Eyes

However your condemnation of Republicans passing tax cuts is well taken. This is why true (meanie/selfish) conservatives want to elect true paygo legislators who would have cut back on many government programs concurrently with those tax cuts. Wink

JM