AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

parados

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:24 pm
@ican711nm,
Quote:
Section 2
The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority

You sure like to ignore parts of the constitution ican.

If there is a legal dispute about the meaning of the constitution, that would be a case arising under the constitution and the judge's powers clearly extend to that case.

Now, would you like to argue the meaning of the word "all" in that sentence ican?
ican711nm

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:07 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Article III
Section 2
The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority

Obama legislated that human caused emissions of CO2 are pollution. That legislating by President Obama is not a power the President can constitutionally exercise.
Quote:
Article II
Section 1. The executive power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America.

Quote:
Article I
Section 1. All legislative powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States, which shall consist of a Senate and House of Representatives.
parados

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:46 pm
@ican711nm,
Quote:

Obama legislated that human caused emissions of CO2 are pollution. That legislating by President Obama is not a power the President can constitutionally exercise.

When did Obama "legislate" this?

It was already pointed out to you but you don't seem to understand, the EPA was given this power in 2007 when the USSC ruled they had the power to do so.

Obama wasn't president then and he certainly didn't legislate this power since the EPA has the power under a law that was passed prior to Obama being elected to the Senate.

I have to give you credit ican. You don't let ignorance get in your way. In fact you seem to relish your ignorance.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:52 pm
@ican711nm,
So..
Here is the timeline ican

The Clean Air Act was passed in 1970
The last major change to the Clean Air Act was in 1990

In 2007, the USSC ruled in Mass vs EPA that under the Clean Air Act, the EPA has the power to regulate CO2 emissions.

Obama was elected to the Senate in 2004.
Obama was elected President in 2008

What part of Obama had nothing to do with giving that power to the EPA, don't you get?
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 03:57 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
As an aside, I see that Senator Scott Brown (R-MA) voted FOR the so-called jobs bill today that the Senate passed 70-28. Did that leave some here disappointed
Nope. It was well known Brown was not the strict conservative that I, and others would like to see. But given a Brown Yay for a 'jobs' program and Nay for Obama care Vs. a Coakley Yay for both, I'll gladly chose the former. I think the MA unemployment situation is a little worse than average and a Senator Brown working for the locals in this hard time is to be expected. Conservative disdain for so called RINOs must be tempered in such liberal areas. Bob Bennet's Seat in conservative Utah, however, is ripe for the plucking for conservatives who are now making a run at him on March 23rd.

In a related RINO vein, in Florida in the upcoming events in the Crist v Rubio Senate race we might see a vindication of the conservative's preference for true conservative candidates over RINOs.

The RINO Crist has been falling in the polls and some of his staff, seeing the handwriting on the wall, are leaving. Crist is doing some nasty stuff against Rubio and has returned to embracing the Obama stimulus. The question, since he was recently seen having a private meal with Biden in Miami, is whether he will now run as an Indepenent or do an Arlen Specter.

In any case I would not be surprised if Crist does a Dede Scozzafava and throws 'fellow' party member Rubio under the bus and swing his support to the Dem. This, of course, is the exact opposite of the original Republican establishment's fear that staunch conservatives would divide the GOP and all the more reason for the GOP to favor real conservatives over RINOs.

JM
wandeljw

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 04:27 pm
@JamesMorrison,
I think that primary elections in Florida are not until late August. Crist v. Rubio in the Republican primary sounds interesting but a lot can happen between now and August. Are Tea Party conservatives expressing any preference?
Irishk

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 04:35 pm
@wandeljw,
Earlier today, I read that Crist is thinking of dropping out of the Republican primary and will run as an Independent. I'm not sure why he doesn't just run as a Democrat.

Oops...just saw that JM covered that little rumor lol.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 04:47 pm
@JamesMorrison,
Thanks, JM, for a thoughtful take on Brown and Rubio/Crist.
I started a thread called "Oh, No! Election Day Is November 2nd, 2010!"

There, we (actually mostly me) are looking at - to start with - interesting Senate races. The Rubio/Crist/Kendrick Meek(D) primary and general elections in FL got covered there by me yesterday.
I don't believe that the Repub wins for Gov in VA and NJ, or even Brown's win in MA for the Senate were that significant as any kind of an indicator re the rise of American Conservatism.
But Marco Rubio in FL vs Charlie Crist in the Repub primary is a whole different story. What Crist does, and for that matter what Meek does, should be interesting.
Please check out my election thread, realizing that a lot of it is based on polls.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 05:38 pm
Parados, December 7, 2009 was another kind of Pearl Harbor Day when the Obama administration declared CO2 a pollutant.
Quote:

http://mises.org/Community/blogs/tokyotom/archive/2009/08/31/a-little-light-on-political-games-and-the-epa-s-unavoidable-endangerment-finding.aspx
In April, under a regulatory process that the Bush EPA was compelled to commence by a Supreme Court decision (pursuant to the April 2, 2007 decison in Massachusetts v. EPA, 549 U.S. 497 (2007), in which the Supreme Court determined that greenhouse gases are air pollutants covered under Section 202 of the Clean Air Act, which applies to motor vehicles), the EPA issued a proposed finding that (i) current and projected atmospheric concentrations of CO2 and five other greenhouse gases (methane (CH4), nitrous oxide (N2O), hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), perfluorocarbons (PFCs), and sulfur hexafluoride (SF6) threaten the public health and welfare of current and future generations (due to their contribution to climate change), and that (ii) emissions of such gases from motor vehicles contribute to atmospheric concentrations of key greenhouse gases and thus to the threat of climate change.

The EPA commenced a 60-day public comment period that ended on June 23, but which it has subsequently determined to keep open while it develops its final findings. If the findings are issued, they will compel the EPA to develop regulatory standards for new motor vehicles under Section 202 of the CAA, and probably as well to develop regulatory standards for utilities, industry and other parts of the economy under other parts of the CAA, which have essentially identical endangerment finding triggers (but which were not the subject of the Supreme Court decision).

Quote:

http://www.nma.org/publications/coal/co2_pollutant.asp
Fredrick D. Palmer
Chairman, Legal Affairs Committee
October 12, 1998

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

Soon after the negotiators returned from Kyoto last December with a protocol that mandates sharp reductions in greenhouse gas emissions by the United States and other developed nations, the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) informed Congress that the agency already possessed authority to begin meeting the targets for emission cuts. Specifically, the Administrator claimed that carbon dioxide (CO2) could be characterized as a pollutant and regulated by EPA pursuant to the Clean Air Act (CAA). At the request of the National Mining Association's Board of Directors, its Legal Affairs Committee evaluated this claim. After a comprehensive review of the language and structure of the CAA, its legislative history and other related laws, the analysis concludes that, contrary to EPA's claim, Congress did not provide EPA with such authority. Instead, Congress deliberately limited EPA's endeavors in this area to non-regulatory activities.
n sum, the language of the CAA, its structure, its legislative history, and other related statutes all lead to the same conclusion: Congress has not delegated authority under the Clean Air Act for EPA to regulate carbon dioxide emissions.

Quote:

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2008/10/16/obama-to-declare-carbon-dioxide-dangerous-pollutant/
Obama to Declare Carbon Dioxide Dangerous Pollutant (Update1)

By Jim Efstathiou Jr. Last Updated: October 16, 2008 09:50 EDT

Oct. 16 (Bloomberg) " Barack Obama will classify carbon dioxide as a dangerous pollutant that can be regulated should he win the presidential election on Nov. 4, opening the way for new rules on greenhouse gas emissions.

The Democratic senator from Illinois will tell the Environmental Protection Agency that it may use the 1990 Clean Air Act to set emissions limits on power plants and manufacturers, his energy adviser, Jason Grumet, said in an interview. President George W. Bush declined to curb CO2 emissions under the law even after the Supreme Court ruled in 2007 that the government may do so.

If elected, Obama would be the first president to group emissions blamed for global warming into a category of pollutants that includes lead and carbon monoxide. Obama’s rival in the presidential race, Republican Senator John McCain of Arizona, has not said how he would treat CO2 under the act.

Quote:

http://blog.heritage.org/2009/12/07/epa-formally-declares-co2-a-dangerous-pollutant/
EPA Formally Declares CO2 a Dangerous Pollutant
Posted December 7th, 2009 at 2:04pm in Energy and Environment
The Environmental Protection Agency will move in with massively complex and costly regulations that would micromanage just about every aspect of the economy. They announced today that carbon dioxide and five other greenhouse gases (GHGs) threaten[s] public health and the environment.
JamesMorrison

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:52 pm
@realjohnboy,
Actually I think AGW (Anthropogenic global warming) is quite germain to this thread because conservatives believe:
1. There is no preponderence of the evidence that points to a clear scientific weight in favor of a conclusion that would favor a drastic restructing of global economics that would actually and successfully change the direction of global temps ONE WAY OR THE OTHER.

2. There is a growing feeling among conservatives that the AGW crowd may have an (social) angenda quite apart from those such as those careerists Michael Mann (of Hockey Stick Infamey), Al Gore, and Phil Jones (CRU of U.of E. Anglia).

Phil Jones admits in a BBC online interview that from 1995 to the present there has been no statistically significant global warming (interesting here is his caveat to his answer at http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8511670.stm which is "Yes, but only just." Uh, Really? This is Math, it either is significant or it isn't and if it seems close (but no cigar) to someone this may point to a subjective opinion. This is telling when examining his answer to the next question:Do you agree that from January 2002 to the present there has been statistically significant global cooling? Despite the same absolute figures "this trend is not statistically significant. " period.

3. Superimposed on this is the present U.S.'s Obama Adminstration that seemingly cannot find enough ways to extricate wealth from its citizens via more taxes which when viewed with such "green jobs" from government subsidies such as ethanol then gives concern with an Obama proposed Cap and Trade system that makes this a concern writ large. Indeed this is georgeob1's "misallocation of capital" ,itself, writ super huge.

JM
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 11:05 pm
@ican711nm,
Quote:
under a regulatory process that the Bush EPA was compelled to commence

You might want to read the damn things you post ican.

You do realize that BUSH is NOT Obama, don't you? The comment period only comes after the regulations are created. When were those regulations created? Read your sources, you F***ng idiot.

Quote:
Fredrick D. Palmer
Chairman, Legal Affairs Committee
October 12, 1998

I hate to tell you this ican, but the US Supreme Court said in 2007 that Congress DID delegate that authority to the EPA. I'll take the word of the Supreme court over Fredrick Palmer any day of the week.

Quote:
President George W. Bush declined to curb CO2 emissions under the law even after the Supreme Court ruled in 2007 that the government may do so.
Funny how that contradicts your first source. The EPA didn't write the regulations in 3 months time after Obama took office. They were started long before then.

It's quite funny how your timelines contradict themselves ican. You might want to look for sources that aren't so biased such as the Heritage foundation who don't seem to know what the EPA did in April when they wrote it was done in December.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 11:57 am
@ican711nm,
Quote:

http://mises.org/Community/blogs/tokyotom/archive/2009/08/31/a-little-light-on-political-games-and-the-epa-s-unavoidable-endangerment-finding.aspx
In April, under a regulatory process that the Bush EPA was compelled to commence by a Supreme Court decision (pursuant to the April 2, 2007 decison in Massachusetts v. EPA, 549 U.S. 497 (2007), in which the Supreme Court determined that greenhouse gases are air pollutants covered under Section 202 of the Clean Air Act.

The US Supreme Court has not been granted the power by the Constitution to determine what is and what is not a pollutant. Only Congress has been granted that power by the Constitution. Congress has not decided CO2 is a pollutant.

Quote:

http://www.nma.org/publications/coal/co2_pollutant.asp
the language of the CAA, its structure, its legislative history, and other related statutes all lead to the same conclusion: Congress has not delegated authority under the Clean Air Act for EPA to regulate carbon dioxide emissions.

Quote:

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2008/10/16/obama-to-declare-carbon-dioxide-dangerous-pollutant/
The Democratic senator from Illinois [Barach Obama] will tell the Environmental Protection Agency that it may use the 1990 Clean Air Act to set emissions limits on power plants and manufacturers, his energy adviser, Jason Grumet, said in an interview. President George W. Bush declined to curb CO2 emissions under the law even after the Supreme Court ruled in 2007 that the government may do so.

Quote:
ican711nm

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 04:30 pm
Obama is a Saul Alinsky disciple and according to Saul Alinsky:
Quote:
The radical organizer does not have a fixed truth"truth to him is relative and changing; everything to him is relative and changing. He is a political relativist;

BUT:
Quote:
Judicial Watch is spearheading a comprehensive investigation into President Obama's appointment of unconstitutional "czars," individuals charged with executing Obama's policy agenda in secret and without congressional oversight.

Our first major "czar" lawsuit is over the role of controversial "Climate Czar" Carol Browner.

In February, Judicial Watch filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit against the Obama Department of Energy and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to obtain documents related to Ms. Browner (who holds the official title of Special Assistant on Energy and Climate) and her role in crafting official U.S. climate policy. Ms. Browner, who was never subjected to Senate confirmation, reportedly served as the Obama administration's point person in secret negotiations to establish automobile emission standards in California and also participated in negotiations involving cap and trade legislation.

Through our FOIA request filed on December 28, 2009, we're specifically seeking all records of communications, contacts, or correspondence between Browner and the Energy Department or the EPA concerning:
A. Negotiations and/or discussions among the auto industry, the State of California, and agencies of the United States with respect to fuel-standards/auto emissions for the time period between January 20, 2009, and June 1, 2009; and
B. Negotiations/discussions with respect to cap and trade legislation for the time period between June 1, 2009, and October 1, 2009.

The EPA has failed to respond to these requests in any manner. Subsequent to filing its lawsuit on February 18, Judicial Watch received a letter from the Energy Department (dated February 17) in which the agency denied that it even had any documents responsive to Judicial Watch's FOIA requests. (I'm not sure I believe that!)

According to press reports, Ms. Browner instructed individuals involved in auto emissions negotiations to "put nothing in writing, ever." The New York Times reported that Browner made every effort to "keep their discussions as quiet as possible."
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 05:24 pm
@ican711nm,
Quote:

The US Supreme Court has not been granted the power by the Constitution to determine what is and what is not a pollutant. Only Congress has been granted that power by the Constitution. Congress has not decided CO2 is a pollutant.

Since you are such a great constitutional scholar ican, could you point us to where Congress was granted this power?
ican711nm

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 06:04 pm
@parados,
Congress has been granted that power by the Constitution to determine what is and what is not a pollutant. Only Congress has been granted that power by the Constitution. Congress has not decided CO2 is a pollutant.
Quote:

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/constitution_transcript.html
Article I
Section 8
The Congress shall have power
To ... provide for the general welfare of the United States
To make Rules for the Government ...
To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof.
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 07:28 pm
Ican, a number of pages back gave us some insight into some of Saul Alinsky's thoughts about how we should... or how best to, well, make life better for...anywho here are some of my thoughts on the subject Smile

Quote:
According to Alinsky, we are not virtuous by not wanting power. We are really cowards for not wanting power, because power is good and powerlessness is evil.

Saul Alinsky is correct on this. I, as a conservative, want the power to make my own personal decisions and the power to direct my efforts to effect a better life for me and my own. However, Alinsky wants not only his own personal power but that of everyone else. Unlike Alinsky, and his ilk, Conservatives do not see this as a zero sum game. With a correctly constructed legal system and a strictly followed U.S. Constitution it doesn’t have to be. Alinsky’s view here is, at best, one of the patrician. Under his view a central authority knows what is best for everyone. Ideally, of course, that authority is, well, Saul Alinsky. Conservatives reject this idea. Freedom to conservatives is an individual thing because we recognize that individuals differ and will pursue their goals differently. To the Alinskys of the world those like myself who want to keep what they have earned and improve our and our families’ lives are then labeled selfish (Yes, I know one must pay a minimum of taxes for obligatory services). But this is a false moral judgment of those that have traditional American conservative views. It is a perversion that misrepresents our founders’ principle of the “pursuit of happiness”. This progressive corruption of conservative values is an attempt to convince the uninitiated that a man so involved in his personal “pursuit” is immoral and therefore is to be condemned and that all who so act are evil. This is a tactic that is used, similar to racism, as a weapon against those, who will have none of statism, to put them off balance, on the defense, and, generally, to change the course of the conversation if not just an effort to invalidate the conservative without addressing his arguments head on.

This progressive tactic, of course, is to be carried out under the guise of the philosopher king or the beneficent tyrant, the end being for the benefit of all, the "General Welfare", as it were. But, as Alinsky himself espouses, it is not about the “General Welfare” but more towards increasing the power of the Alinskys of the world. It is they who aspire to the throne of the Philosopher King. But this reign they seek will always devolve downward towards that of the malevolent dictator or a select few members of the politburo who feel they know better than those general masses. (Even this ruse will be happily abandoned at the point where there is no longer a choice for individuals) This to hide the conceit of those such as Alinsky, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and those newer models such as the Obama Administration and Congressional progressives who feel that those 'below' them are not intelligent enough to set their own goals and make their own decisions.

This disrespect for their fellow Americans’ opinion has been voiced by liberals in both soft and hard terms. Softly Obama blamed 'himself' for the failure of Obamacare by claiming (after delivering 29 speeches beseeching the public to accept it) that he hadn’t “explained it thoroughly enough”. But Bill Maher is more personally honest in his assessment of Americans in general. Regarding the Obama Administration’s KSM/Civilian court in Manhattan problem Maher says:
Quote:
” What the Democrats never understand is that Americans don't really care what position you take. Just stick with one. Just be strong. They are not bright enough to really understand the issues, but like an animal they can sort of sense strength. “
http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/36563/
So Maher is a proponent of staying the course. But, perhaps, Maher’s findings better explain the mentality of those who enjoy his ‘jokes’ better then the generic mental acuity of American voters.

The result of Obama’s, Jackson’s, Sharpton’s, (But not Bill Cosby’s, Clarence Thomas’, nor Thomas Sowell’s) and well meaning old white guys like LBJ and Teddy of Chappaquiddick’s ‘good intentions' has been an ever growing list of Americans more dependent upon these false prophets and ‘government’ largess. Despite these progressive efforts, large groups in America now see the American dream receding further and further from their grasp. With Alinsky's minion’s ever tightening grip on their future these Americans find themselves ever dependent on the empty progressive promises of a statist utopia. But it still remains only that, a promise.

The question is: For how long? The figure of the amount of workers that actually pay taxes is now less than 50% (thru the EIC these Americans, along with those on welfare, actually get extra money from the American Taxpayer). Those in the lower rungs of the American financial classes now find themselves stewing in a welfare system that tends to promote unwedded births, unemployment fostered by liberal efforts that lead to minimum wage laws and proposals for tax increases (of all sorts) and a public education system, especially shameful in the inner cities, whose main claim to prosperity remains with the pay scale enjoyed by members of the teacher’s unions. This while legions of these sorely neglected American students “Axe” the question: Where is my promised education?

Michelle Rhee, Chancellor of Education in Washington DC, has had some successes, but liberals have been a constant obstruction to her efforts to reform by constantly backing the teacher’s union over the students. Further and recently, Obama, his Secretary of Education, and Democratic Sen. Durbin killed the successful scholarship voucher program for poor kids in D.C. schools. When will these Americans realize that liberals do not have their best interests at heart? They have Alinskian morals. So they practice deceit.
Quote:
” Alinsky's most basic principle for radicals is: lie to opponents and disarm them by pretending to be moderates and liberals.”

This is right from the Communist's and Iran’s Islamic Republican negotiating handbook.

Quote:
Alinsky stated, " the issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution." The stated cause is never the real cause, but only an occasion to advance the real cause which is accumulation of power to make the revolution.

For an example of such good faith progressive negotiating see P. Noonan’s thoughtful take on the Feb 25th “Health Care Summit” @ http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704479404575087902935784456.html

But, what about Capitalism? Is this whipping boy of do good socialists the enemy of “The Revolution”? Capitalism, never experienced in its pure form in historical memory, is less a ‘system’ and more a ‘fact of life’. We do not choose capitalism; it is forced upon us because we live in a world of finite resources (supply and demand). None can escape this fact, not even the mighty U.S.S.R. At the height of their industrial power the soviets could not escape their choice of more rockets and armored divisions resulting in less toilet paper and only a few auto windshield wipers. In soviet Russia outlawed capitalism showed up anyway in the form of a black market for toilet paper and wipers.

So, if the whole Alinskian point is to advance the revolution we must ask: Against what? It doesn’t seem to matter, you see, because the revolution is what’s important because it’s what keeps Alinsky and his perverts gainfully employed, that is, empowered. But Alinsky’s “gains” or power does not come from himself nor from his efforts (Alinskians consider themselves the “elite” so they have little time for actual productive work). Those gains are not only the fruits of productive individuals and institutions of our society they are also Alinsky’s and progressives’ meal ticket. This is the reason why socialist systems must always exist within the context of a capitalistic system (even if this system is distorted by government regulation and subsidies like that of Western Europe and even ours).

Simply put, Alinsky is a parasite. He and his kind are the tapeworms in the gut of productive society. But they steal more than physical sustenance from their victims. They also visit upon society the permanent mental and moral infestation of the Trichinotic cysts of mental sloth and physical dependence on the American spirit through their encouraging a government whose main core attribute is that whatever it giveth it may also take away (remember the Liberal Dem/Obama proposal to cut half a trillion dollars from Medicare?).

Further the parasitic “share the wealth” Alinskian society, at best, promotes mediocrity (Cue the progressive cries of selfishness here). Left to such progressive designs we would see an America where the biggest incentive to become a Thoracic Surgeon rather than a General Practioner would be a larger apartment in a 40 year old run down government building, but then again that would be capitalism too, and/or the pursuit of (a little) happiness. But if this happened in America, where in the world would you go to learn how to be the best surgeon possible? Well, at least we wouldn’t be bothered by those pesky Canadians coming here for the best care or, for that matter, urgently needed timely care. An example: http://blogs.ajc.com/bob-barr-blog/2010/02/10/canadian-premier-comes-to-us-for-heart-surgery/

Let’s face it, the Left has been thoroughly delegitimized, at least to those paying attention. Through the fall of Marxism, Environmentalism and now its efforts to rule our lives manifest in Cap and Trade, Healthcare ‘Reform’ and, even, Card Check (The left covets the revenue stream of Union Dues) the Left’s true motives are exposed. What Obama’s and Rahm Emanuel’s efforts to use the financial crisis has harvested is everyday citizens like the dreaded Tea Partiers attending study groups examining the likes of The Federalist, Ayn Rand, and ‘Gasp’ the U.S. Constitution itself. Now those students are beginning to realize how far America has strayed from its essence. All that’s left for the Left is to attack such people and try to discredit anyone with any conservative ideas…and they will. Look for it below the fold.

JM

JamesMorrison

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 08:42 pm
The conceit of the Obama Administration in trying to tax CO2 emissions via EPA fiat is typical of progressive parasitism. No where in the EPA's Congressional (and therefore Constitutional) mandate is it explicitly stated that it can regulate the other side of the chemical equation of life where CO2 is a by product in the energy process that sustains life for the overwhelming number of organisms here on this planet. The rationale of its (CO2) regulation for the benefit of all is a typical leftist ruse. The purpose is purely and plainly to separate all citizens from even more of their wealth. That wealth is to be used to further the power of Leftist such as this Chicago crowd now masquerading as the U.S. Administration.

This EPA "finding" would subject each and every individual (and this population is not limited to humans) that takes a breath or farts to a tax so broad that it rivals the very "Stamp Act" that set the American Revolution in motion. Remember, the most distasteful aspect of that act was in the authorities' right to enforce it by such acts of entering into businesses and private homes and staying "as long as is deemed necessary" to investigate.

Preposterous, the left says! Oh? The IRS can confiscate, the DEA (and local Police in some locales) can take all assets of those only accused and not convicted. Those recently arguing in the SCOTUS for parts of the recently struck down McCain Feingold campaign finance law were forced to admit that the law could limit the publishing of certain books according to arbitrary timing considerations, that judgment made by 'the government'. The left says this is an extreme view and says such actions would surely be limited. To this geogeob1 has pointed out that even with limitations one must still worry about governmental selection of the politically favored or disfavored: Lehman Bros or AIG, Political contributing Unions or undereducated poor children, tax all those not from OK, tax all those on Cadillac Plans except for... it boggles and frightens the mind.

The solution is simple: make government smaller. Put it out of its ever increasing attack on citizens' wealth misery. Nov is coming for the Feds. The handwriting is on the wall here in NJ. Christy is trying to balance the budget and his promise not to raise taxes is making the teacher's union (and many others) squeal like a bunch of pigs. The progressive threats, lies, and emoting spews forth. It is a good time to be a conservative. Cool

JM

0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 09:55 pm
@JamesMorrison,
JamesMorrison wrote:
Alinsky wants not only his own personal power but that of everyone else.

This is also how Obama thinks. He is a dictator wannabe. All of his hours spent during his younger days wallowing in the injustices of the world with like minded, he has not changed from that. He views the world and the United States as an unjust place, and that was what his mantra of change was all about, he wants to remake the country and the world into something that he believes would be more just and more utopian, and of course it would be according to his ideas on the matter.

The sooner we stop Obama from having his way and voting him out of office, the better off liberty and freedom loving peoples will be. It all starts with stonewalling as best we can any initiative of his in Congress, and to vote the liberals out of Congress in the next election.
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 02:33 pm
The "Health Care Summit" is over for what good it did. So now the liberals can begin their final push. But for those following the progress of Obamacare and its handicapping here is the jist of the situation as it stands at the beginning of this weekend. Democratic options are all painfully sad, especially in view of the new CNN poll that 73% of Americans don't want this beast:

Quote:
The Charge of the Democratic Health-Care Brigade
Posted By John Podhoretz On February 26, 2010 @ 11:49 AM In Contentions | Comments Disabled

“Where are we now?” This seems to be the question in the wake of yesterday’s health-care summit. The scenarios going forward indicate the amazing political condundra facing the president and his party.

1) Pass the health-care bill without Republican support. Well, OK, but which bill and how? The House has already passed a bill. In order to secure passage, which came with just a margin of five votes, House leaders agreed to remove abortion coverage from it (the so-called Stupak amendment). Now, try to follow this. The bill that has been voted out of the Senate committee for consideration of the full Senate features abortion coverage. Republicans have enough votes to filibuster this bill. That’s why there’s talk of passing it through the process called “reconciliation,” which needs only 51 votes, which Democrats have.

2) Make the House vote for the Senate bill. The way to muscle this legislation into law is for the House to give up its bill, bring the Senate bill (after it’s passed with 51 votes) up for a vote, pass it, and have Obama sign it. But here’s the thing. The Senate bill doesn’t have the Stupak amendment, so the dozen or so House Democrats who insisted on taking abortion out of the bill so that they could vote for it face a terrible choice. They will either have to vote for it and betray their principles and their voters and the fight they waged before. Or they can say no and risk torpedoing the bill.

It’s even more interesting than that, because three votes for the bill will not be recorded for it the next time it comes up " one due to death (John Murtha), two due to resignations (Neil Abercrombie and Robert Wexler). So what will House Democratic leaders do? They can try to put the arm on leftist Democrats who resisted voting for the original bill on the grounds it didn’t go far enough. In which case, they can win this.

Ah, but here’s the rub. They can’t possibly believe that the political situation last fall, when the House voted for its version of the bill, is the same today. Every House member is up for re-election, and polling suggests a catastrophe in the making for Democrats, in part due to the meltdown in support for health-care legislation (now 25 percent, according to CNN this week). Pelosi and Co. surely know they will not get every single one of the 215 votes they scored last time (absent the Stupak dozen). They may be grasping at straws, but simple survival instinct will cause a major panic at the prospect of having to cast this vote. And there’s no knowing what people will do in a panic except that they will try at all cost to save their own skins.

3) Let it die in committee. Even if the Senate does pass the bill through the 51-vote reconciliation process " a big “if,” because it will ignite a major populist revolt that could have terrible consequences for Democrats in shaky Senate seats up for re-election in November " the combination of bad poll numbers and the Stupak problem probably mean that the “pass the Senate bill” option is off the table, and so the normal Washington process will go forward. House and Senate negotiators will have to meet to harmonize their two bills. They will then agree on a single unitary piece of legislation. That unitary piece of legislation must then go back to the full House and the full Senate for final passage, at which point it is sent to the president, who can sign it into law.

The chances this will happen are increasingly remote. The attempt to pass the harmonized bill would reignite every firestorm over health care, at a time when support is only likely to decline still further. Tea Parties would erupt. Republicans will build forts with the 2,000-page bills and stack them to the inside of the Capitol Dome. Avoiding this horror show is the reason for the “pass the Senate bill” strategy. Democrats cannot allow it to happen. It would be best, at that point, to let the bill die in committee, with serious claims that the differences between the bills just couldn’t be breached. That will look terrible, but it’s the better of the two options.

4) The suicide mission. If the health-care bill collapses, the Obama presidency will be dealt a staggering blow from which it could recover, I would guess, only with a really extraordinary economic turnaround. The political calamity for Democrats in November will still take place; the president will lose the entirety of his capital with elected officials in his party; the media, sniffing a loser, will turn slowly but surely on him; and the conviction inside his own camp that he can work wonders with his silver-tongued patter will dissipate, causing a complete crisis of confidence inside the White House.

It would be better for him, unquestionably, for the legislation to pass, as a practical political matter. One could argue that the fate of his party really does rest on Obama’s shoulders, so it would be better for Democrats as well. But not for individual Democrats. So what happens if the Obama-Pelosi-Reid strategy for health-care passage is an order to House Democrats to carry out a suicide mission? That is hard to say. ObamaCare is the Democratic object of desire. One imagines that even those Democrats who don’t want to vote for it support it in their heart of hearts. So perhaps they can be appealed to on the grounds of liberal principle.

I don’t think there’s ever been a situation like this in American political history. Every way you look at it, Democrats are boxed in, forced to choose between extraordinarily unattractive options. What makes it especially noteworthy is that this was a calamity they summoned entirely upon themselves.
http://www.commentarymagazine.com/blogs/index.php/jpodhoretz/247021

JM
ican711nm

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 05:03 pm
@JamesMorrison,
John Podhoretz On February 26, 2010 @ 11:49 AM, wrote:
I don’t think there’s ever been a situation like this in American political history. Every way you look at it, Democrats are boxed in, forced to choose between extraordinarily unattractive options. What makes it especially noteworthy is that this was a calamity they summoned entirely upon themselves.

While it may not matter to any DINOS and RINOS, how will federal specified health care for Americans constitute--per the Constitution of the USA, Article I, Section 8--"pay for the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States" OR
regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes ?"