okie wrote:

Everyone is full of compliments today!

Seems that way.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 11:17 am
Even the snowmen are pissed off!

http://freep.com/article/20100223/NEWS15/100223021/1318/Anti-tax-snowmen-greet-lawmakers

Wink

JM
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 01:36 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
On the contrary I was making a very serious point. You merely dismissed James Morrison's comments about critics Al Gore and others as lacking knowledge of science. In fact in many cases the opposite is true, Moreover recent revelations and some butt covering statements from the principal "scientific" protagonists in the UK and the IAEA reveal a pattern of lies and distortions on their part all involving the previous assertion that things they regard now as either flat wrong or merely possible were undoubtedly true. THAT is not science.

Moreover I seriously doubt your competence as a judge of scientific or even engineering proficiency - though in your dismissive rejoinder you certainly imply that you do have such competence.

Who of us is functioning "at a fifth grade level"?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 01:43 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

On the contrary I was making a very serious point. You merely dismissed James Morrison's comments about critics Al Gore and others as lacking knowledge of science. In fact in many cases the opposite is true, Moreover recent revelations and some butt covering statements from the principal "scientific" protagonists in the UK and the IAEA reveal a pattern of lies and distortions on their part all involving the previous assertion that things they regard now as either flat wrong or merely possible were undoubtedly true. THAT is not science.

Moreover I seriously doubt your competence as a judge of scientific or even engineering proficiency - though in your dismissive rejoinder you certainly imply that you do have such competence.

Who of us is functioning "at a fifth grade level"?

The one who resorts to inane one-liners, George, which has become your m.o. lately, it seems.

The whole 'anti-global warming' movement, the skeptics movement, isn't based on sound science but instead on a fundamental misunderstanding of what sound science means. There is a reason that the vast majority of scientists agree with the theories which are currently being put forth, and it isn't a conspiracy to run the world's economies, or a religion. It is because the vast body of evidence out there showing that our climate is changing, and that we may be causing those changes.

While I don't claim to be a climate scientist myself (or an engineer), I do understand the body of work and the current arguments out there, as well as anyone who doesn't work in those fields - including yourself, I dare say. If there was an actual scientific case being built on the other side of the equation, I would give it more weight; but the objections aren't based on science, they are based on politics. It is akin to Okie and Ican claiming that cutting taxes leads to rise in revenues: something you hear politicians say all the time but not actual economists. It's very difficult to find scientists who support the anti-climate change position, but the right-wing likes to take their few cherry-picked examples and attempt to damn the whole theory based on those, for political and financial reasons: it always boils down to the innate driver of Conservatism, Greed. This isn't how science works and it's why your side is constantly frustrated that more scientists dismiss you so readily.

My initial position stands: Inhofe, Coburn and the Republican mouth-breathers in Congress know nothing whatsoever of climate change science. They are engaged in a political struggle. They deserve to be laughed at when they raise such objections. And that is exactly what Obama and the Democrats can and should do.

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 02:00 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I'll just say that I have a graduate degree in Fluid Mechanics; did a dissertation at Caltech on the numerical simulation of turbulent fluid flows; am a graduate nuclear engineer; and have directed the project activities of engineers, geologists, biologists and chemists for the past twenty years.

You have just yourself demonstrated the close minded prejudices and intolerance of which you so liberally accuse others.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 02:14 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I'll just say that I have a graduate degree in Fluid Mechanics; did a dissertation at Caltech on the numerical simulation of turbulent fluid flows; am a graduate nuclear engineer; and have directed the project activities of engineers, geologists, biologists and chemists for the past twenty years.

Really? It's shocking to me, then, that you could act so willfully ignorant, re: the paucity of evidence behind the anti-global warming 'science.' Surely someone as learned as yourself can see that nitpicking at a theory is not the same thing as building an actual and well-supported counter-case - something which has not been done, and certainly isn't done by attacking Al Gore and engaging in politics.

Quote:
You have just yourself demonstrated the close minded prejudices and intolerance of which you so liberally accuse others.

I don't believe this is true, but you are of course welcome to hold whatever opinion you like. Which prejudices did I demonstrate, by the way?

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 02:47 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Really? It's shocking to me, then, that you could act so willfully ignorant, re: the paucity of evidence behind the anti-global warming 'science.' Surely someone as learned as yourself can see that nitpicking at a theory is not the same thing as building an actual and well-supported counter-case - something which has not been done, and certainly isn't done by attacking Al Gore and engaging in politics.
Cycloptichorn

I think you confuse "building a case" with thinking for yourself and actually understanding the principals involved. Moreover I doubt you have the ability to understand - or the intellectual curiosity to discover - the limitations of the pseudo science that is too often put forward by folks interested in advancing their careers, riding the gravy train and benefitting from a popular but highly exaggerated & distorted enthusiasm.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 02:55 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:

I think you confuse "building a case" with thinking for yourself and actually understanding the principals involved.

No, I don't. 'Thinking for yourself' is what the guys on your side of the argument are doing. 'Building a case' is what you are not doing. If those who suggest that the body of current science is wrong want to be taken more seriously, I suggest that they attempt to focus on the second and not the first.

Nobody gives a **** what your ideas or opinions on GW are - that is why 'thinking for yourself' doesn't get your side of the argument very far. Instead, building a case - many, multiple and independent sources all arriving at similar conclusions - is much stronger. But, as a learned man, you already knew that, didn't you?

Quote:
Moreover I doubt you have the ability to understand - or the intellectual curiosity to discover - the limitations of the pseudo science that is too often put forward by folks interested in advancing their careers, riding the gravy train and benefitting from a popular but highly exaggerated & distorted enthusiasm.

Oh yes, the 'corrupt scientist' theory. And you wonder why nobody takes your side seriously on this. The current theories are supported by dozens of thousands of scientists who have worked on them; do you suggest that they are all merely looking to advance their careers?

I could just as easily turn around and accuse you and those who are against the current theories of being equally corrupt; that is to say, your motivation for denying the consensus theory isn't born out of a sober look at the underlying science, but instead political and personal motivations. Do you claim that I am incorrect in this? That Inhofe and Coburn and yourself have nothing to gain or lose from your position? I think perhaps you, like they, are merely looking to advance your career (or personal wealth) through your position. Correct? Am I correct in thinking that a cap-and-trade program would negatively impact your company? If the answer is yes, why, you can hardly expect to be taken as anything but an extreme partisan on this issue, in the same way that you accuse others of doing so.

You didn't answer what prejudices you think I am displaying; I'd love to know. Because I think you are talking out your ass with that accusation.

Cycloptichorn
ican711nm

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 02:59 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Which prejudices did I demonstrate, by the way?

Cycloptichorn wrote:
My initial position stands: Inhofe, Coburn and the Republican mouth-breathers in Congress know nothing whatsoever of climate change science. They are engaged in a political struggle. They deserve to be laughed at when they raise such objections. And that is exactly what Obama and the Democrats can and should do.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Nobody gives a **** what your ideas or opinions on GW are - that is why 'thinking for yourself' doesn't get your side of the argument very far. Instead, building a case - many, multiple and independent sources all arriving at similar conclusions - is much stronger. But, as a learned man, you already knew that, didn't you?

QED!

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 03:02 pm
@ican711nm,
ican711nm wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

QED!

Which prejudices did I display there? That is an accurate description of the situation, based on an examination of their words and actions. Perhaps you could be more specific?

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 03:17 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

You didn't answer what prejudices you think I am displaying; I'd love to know. Because I think you are talking out your ass with that accusation.

Cycloptichorn

It isn't necessary, since you so readily display them so vividly.

QED indeed !
ican711nm

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 03:20 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Which prejudices did I display there? That is an accurate description of the situation, based on an examination of their words and actions. Perhaps you could be more specific?

QED!
Your prejudices, Cycloptichorn are self-evident for all but you and those who share your prejudices.

There isn't any conclusive collection of evidence to support the claim that human caused emissions of CO2 caused the global warming that occurred 1910 to 2010. In fact, there is evidence of a slight global cooling trend since 1998, despite the continuing increase since 1998 of CO2 in the atmosphere..
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 03:22 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

It isn't necessary, since you so readily display them so vividly.

There's a non-answer if I ever saw one. If you can be more specific, let us know. I doubt you can.

You also chose not to answer my question regarding whether or not cap-and-trade, or stricter emissions regulations of any type, harm your company or your financial position. I would guess the answer is yes, but you realize that stating so out loud is harmful to your position. How do you reconcile the fact that, in your opinion, scientists who have a stake in the GW argument are acting in a corrupt fashion, but businessmen who argue against it are not doing so? This seems rather contradictory.

Quote:

QED indeed !

Think for a second about the company you are lumping yourself in with here, George. It hardly bolsters your case.

Cycloptichorn
ican711nm

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 03:36 pm
Quote:

http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=19029&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=DPD
PRICE CONTROLS BY ANY OTHER NAME
This week President Obama proposed giving the federal government the power to regulate insurance premiums. Undoubtedly, this will be politically popular -- at least, in the short term. However, attempts to control prices by government fiat ignore basic economic laws -- and the result could be disastrous for the American health care system, says Michael Tanner, a Senior Fellow with the Cato Institute.

Insurers unable to charge more for an increasingly expensive product can be expected to trim costs in one of two ways, says Tanner:

They can drop their most expensive customers -- in this case, the sickest, who consume the most health care.
Many companies are already doing this, a major source of dissatisfaction with the health care system.
In fact, the president wants to prohibit companies from doing this.
Or:

They can cut back on their reimbursement rates to hospitals and physicians.
But neither doctors nor hospitals, any more than insurance companies, are willing to operate at a loss.
If payments fall below their costs, they'll simply stop taking patients.
One only has to look at government programs like Medicare and Medicaid to see how this works, says Tanner:

Medicare already reimburses at roughly 80 cents on every dollar of actual costs; Medicaid pays even less.
As a result, more than a third of physicians have closed their practices to Medicaid patients; 12 percent no longer accept Medicare patients.
If private insurers begin similarly to cut back their reimbursements, some hospitals may go out of business, and some doctors may close their practices. Retirement in Florida may begin to look a lot better than another snowy New York winter. Others will stop accepting insurance or set up "concierge" practices in which they see only a small number of privately paying patients. Thus, price controls on insurers will ultimately lead to rationing (the lack of available health care goods and services), says Tanner.

Source: Michael D. Tanner, "Price Controls by Any Other Name," Cato Institute, February 23, 2010.

For text:
http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=11241
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 03:39 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

You also chose not to answer my question regarding whether or not cap-and-trade, or stricter emissions regulations of any type, harm your company or your financial position. I would guess the answer is yes, but you realize that stating so out loud is harmful to your position. How do you reconcile the fact that, in your opinion, scientists who have a stake in the GW argument are acting in a corrupt fashion, but businessmen who argue against it are not doing so? This seems rather contradictory.[Cycloptichorn

OK. Here goes.
Cap & Trade would hurt everyone; raising the prices of everything we consume due to higher energy costs. Business growth would be hurt due to the legal sanctions that would misallocate capital to relatively non productive economic activities.

However, my company would likely benefit greatly. We do a good deal of environmental consulting & remediation, a large part of it in helping local governments, businesses and property owners comply with often nonsensical environmental regulations and the even worse brueaucratic muddle that usually attends their enforcement. There is, to be sure, a good deal of this stuff that is good and beneficial. However, the fact remains that more regulation, particularly foolish regulation means much more business for us.

If EPA ever gets around to issuing its threatened (but endlessly delayed) administrative rules limiting CO2 emissions, we will have a bonanza of work.
ican711nm

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 03:41 pm
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/img/climate/research/global-jan-dec-error-bar-pg.gif

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/img/climate/research/global-jan-dec-error-bar-pg.gif
Jan-Dec Global Mean Temperature over Land & Ocean
During the 100 year period, 1910 to 2010,
THE MEAN ANNUAL GLOBAL TEMPERATURE INCREASED LESS THAN 1°C (1.8°F).

http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperature/nhshgl.gif
Average Annual Global Temperature 1850-2009
http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperature/nhshgl.gif
Average Annual Global Temperature 1850-2009
During the 100 year period, 1910 to 2010,
THE AVERAGE ANNUAL GLOBAL TEMPERATURE INCREASED LESS THAN 1°C (1.8°F).

……………………………………………………………
http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_id=f80a6386-802a-23ad-40c8-3c63dc2d02cb
As of December 20, 2007, more than 400 prominent scientists from more than two dozen countries have voiced significant objections to major aspects of the alleged UN IPCC "consensus" on man-made global warming.

Quote:

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.SenateReport#report
Aeronautical engineer Bob Edleman, former Chief Engineer of Boeing's Electronic Systems Division who also worked as a software engineer in data reduction and flight simulation, expressed skepticism about man-made climate fears promoted in former Vice President Al Gore's film. "My conclusion is that the movie is mostly misleading and, yes, we'd better stop the ideological wrangling and consider the facts," Edelman wrote on October 4, 2007. "There is no consensus. Even if there were it would have no value in science. Proof leads to consensus, not the other way around," he added. (LINK)

Quote:

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 04:10 pm
@georgeob1,
Thanks for answering. It seems my suspicions regarding your professional interest in cap-and-trade were misplaced and I withdraw them.

Now, on to the personal -

georgeob1 wrote:

OK. Here goes.
Cap & Trade would hurt everyone; raising the prices of everything we consume due to higher energy costs. Business growth would be hurt due to the legal sanctions that would misallocate capital to relatively non productive economic activities.

This is merely a repetition of a boilerplate argument against ALL regulations. It could easily be said that every regulation raises the price of every product; should we take that to mean that all regulations should be fought against, as they raise the price of doing business?

Clearly the answer is no, and the reasoning is easy: because society has a vested interest in many things besides low prices of consumer goods. In this case, the interest of society greatly outweighs the desire for lower production costs on the part of industry, because citizens of all countries are given no choice whatsoever in their participation in the ecosystem, as opposed to the consumer decision whether or not to purchase a particular product.

It is categorically wrong to force citizens to deal with problems created by the emissions of industry with no recourse whatsoever. This is why regulations exist in the first place. And as we have a great deal of scientific evidence suggesting that unrestrained CO2 emissions could cause major problems with our climate patterns and overall Earth temperature (especially in the face of an ever-growing population), it is once again clear that the correct course of action is to take a Conservative approach to managing the environment - in a more classical sense of the word then the one you guys use to describe yourself.

Is there any other persuasive argument for the Anti-GW crowd, other then 'it will make goods more expensive?' I certainly would love to hear it, for that is not a compelling reason to allow unrestricted CO2 emissions. And fortunately for my position, the Supreme Court seems to agree with this.

Cycloptichorn
ican711nm

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 04:31 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
we have a great deal of scientific evidence suggesting that unrestrained CO2 emissions could cause major problems with our climate patterns and overall Earth temperature (especially in the face of an ever-growing population), it is once again clear that the correct course of action is to take a Conservative approach to managing the environment - in a more classical sense of the word then the one you guys use to describe yourself.

I have provided a great deal of evidence that we do not have "a great deal of scientific evidence suggesting that unrestrained [human caused] CO2 emissions could cause major problems with our climate patterns and overall Earth temperature (especially in the face of an ever-growing population)."

Perhaps you have "a great deal of scientific evidence suggesting that unrestrained [human caused] CO2 emissions could cause major problems with our climate patterns and overall Earth temperature (especially in the face of an ever-growing population), "

If you do have such evidence, then provide it here, or identify a link or links that reveal that evidence.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 04:36 pm
@ican711nm,
Quote:

I have provided a great deal of evidence that we do not have "a great deal of scientific evidence suggesting that unrestrained [human caused] CO2 emissions could cause major problems with our climate patterns and overall Earth temperature (especially in the face of an ever-growing population)."

No, you haven't. Instead, you have provided a great deal of OPINION that this is not true, mostly from scientists who are not Climatologists.

Quote:

Perhaps you have "a great deal of scientific evidence suggesting that unrestrained [human caused] CO2 emissions could cause major problems with our climate patterns and overall Earth temperature (especially in the face of an ever-growing population), "

If you do have such evidence, then provide it here, or identify a link or links that reveal that evidence.

http://www.ipcc.ch/

Educate yourself.

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 04:41 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You are ignoring several important issues with respect to the global warming matter.
=> The effects of it have been greatly exaggerated by advocates using numerical models and forecasts already known to be incapable of the accuracy they claim and in many cases unable to produce anything better than a random guess.
=> Evidence of the greater effect of variations in solar radiance (the known cause of the mini ice age of the 17th & 18th centuries) is routinely ignored by AGW cultists - the famous hockey stick curve used by many (including the esteemed Al Gore) even left this event out entirely (as we recently learned through the highly selective use of conflicting data from several sources).
=> The earth's climate has never been stable during its known geological history.
=> Serious economic analysis indicates that the costs of fixing the (known unreliable) pessimistic forecasts of warming are far greater than the harm caused itself.

In a more fundamental way, you are arguing that any argument opposing some government regulation is necessarily an argument against all of them. This is simply nonsense.

You also make other important errors. The current demographic projections strongly suggest that the earth's population will peak in about a century. It turns out that modern economic development is an excellent form of birth control. In any event, we aren't faced with "an ever-growing population".

I think you read to many products of political advocacy and too little of basic science and mathematics.
0 Replies