AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 01:29 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:
Did the Conservatives in Canada win recent elections by stating that the would reduce the size, power, and scope of government, reduce or eliminate government contracts, and scale back or eliminate the Canadian welfare and healthcare system? If so, then you have a point.

The Conservatives' consistent position is reduction of size/power/scope of government, reduction/elimination of government contracts, and significant changes to welfare/healthcare (insofar as there are federal components - most of that is dealt with provincially and locally, not federally).

and yes, the Conservatives keep talking privatization
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 01:30 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

so here's what Steyn "actually" said

Foxfyre wrote:
Quote:
The end-game is very obvious. If you expand the bureaucratic class and you expand the dependent class, you can put together a permanent electoral majority.

the problem is - no evidence

Okay, to return to the previous questions.

So again. Do you say that those conservatives ran on a platform of intending to reduce the size and power of government, reduce or eliminate some or a lot of the benefits or programs or projects that many Canadians depend on? Or did they simply promise more efficiency and effectiveness but didn't presume to privatize much?

yes, I've answered this twice now

you need to find an example that works. Canada is not that example.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 01:32 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:
Tell me how it hasn't happened in Canada.

What party/group has a permanent electoral majority in Canada?

You seriously need to look elsewhere. You're not going to make the point you're hoping to make using Canada as an example.

Quote:

Foxfyre wrote:
The issue is whether increasing the bureaucracy and the dependency of the peole on government programs, salaries, benefits, or contracts is the best way to ensure the future and security of those in power.

Please address that and then we can discuss it.

Quote:
Can you provide examples of where this has happened?

Again he was not referring to a party or group. He was referring to a principle of how a party or group keeps itself in power. The people may change over time, but the principle remains. Those who would stay in power dare not violate it and those who would increase their own power and influence use it to that advantage.
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 01:35 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Again he was not referring to a party or group. He was referring to a principle of how a party or group keeps itself in power. The people may change over time, but the principle remains. Those who would stay in power dare not violate it and those who would increase their own power and influence use it to that advantage.

What does "permanent majority" mean if not in context of a party or group?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 01:35 pm
@Foxfyre,
Does this not indicate, then, that the people of a country approve the expansion of programs, if those who oppose them cannot get elected? And what the hell is wrong with this, exactly?

I think that's the problem that you guys have - most people disagree with your positions on major issues.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 01:38 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:
The issue is whether increasing the bureaucracy and the dependency of the peole on government programs, salaries, benefits, or contracts is the best way to ensure the future and security of those in power.

Please address that and then we can discuss it.

Can you provide examples of where this has happened?

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 01:39 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
Did the Conservatives in Canada win recent elections by stating that the would reduce the size, power, and scope of government, reduce or eliminate government contracts, and scale back or eliminate the Canadian welfare and healthcare system? If so, then you have a point.

Not about parties eh.

You're not even convincing yourself at this point.

~~~

Any more MACs raise their hands yet?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 01:45 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
Even though I continue to believe that George W. Bush is an honest, compassionate, and good man,

How low does a soul have to sink to believe that a man, willing to spread lies far and wide simply to ensure that a hundred thousand or so innocents die, is, in any fashion whatsoever, honest, compassionate or good?

It boggles the mind, it truly does.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 01:46 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

No, because he's talking about an electoral majority within a competitive model. Here our competitive model is the two party system. There's no current competition on overthrowing entitlement programs within our two party system. Those of us who would like to do so can bitch and moan all we want but until the writing on the wall gets filled in with bright red lipstick (so as to be obvious) it's not going to happen. Change comes slow. Slower than I would like in this case, but it's only a matter of time before the next generation says, "What a minute, all you folks taking from and no longer putting into the system..." Then, and probably only then, will we see the major overhaul that I think is necessary.

I've yet to hear anyone with any plan or explanation as to how a smaller workforce can support the needs of an aging demographic with an increased life expectancy.

Okay you sent me back to the complete essay and made me put the paragraph back into its full context to consider your point of view re the 'competetive model'. Interesting perspective. Smile

But I think he isn't considering a 'competitive model' outside the concept of who is more effective at creating the greatest dependency among the electorate. Yes, he refers specifically to the Obama administration throwing spaghetti at the wall and the GOP (futilely at this point) plucking away strands that stick, but I suspect that he would note that if it was the GOP in power, they would be the ones throwing the spaghetti.

The point he makes is that the ones who can convince the people they will be better off if they vote "A" into power, then "A" wins. And the more dependency "A" can create among the people, the more power "A" acquires. Those that the government can make dependent may or may not come to hate their loss of independence, liberties, and opportunities, but they can become afraid to give up what they have in order to take a chance on a different concept or idea.

Once the people are sufficiently dependent, then whatever those in power call themselves doesn't matter so long as they can convince the people that they are "A" and not "B".

Rockhead

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 01:52 pm
"Once the people are sufficiently dependent, then whatever those in power call themselves doesn't matter so long as they can convince the people that they are "A" and not "B"."

this is the big republican fear.

(hence, stop healthcare)
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 02:00 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

"Once the people are sufficiently dependent, then whatever those in power call themselves doesn't matter so long as they can convince the people that they are "A" and not "B"."

(hence, stop healthcare)

You still haven't named a single Republican, in or out of power, who opposes healthcare. When you can post a verifiable statement to support your opinion about that we might have something to discuss . Until you do, I will continue to believe that all Repbublicans in or out of power that I know or have ever heard of are 100% in favor of healthcare.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 02:01 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Rockhead wrote:

(hence, stop healthcare)

You still haven't named a single Republican, in or out of power, who opposes healthcare. When you can post a verifiable statement to support your opinion about that we might have something to discuss . Until you do, I will continue to believe that all Repbublicans in or out of power that I know or have ever heard of are 100% in favor of healthcare.

How tendentious; you know he meant 'health care reform.'

Cycloptichorn
Rockhead

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 02:01 pm
@Foxfyre,
which is why we can't (won't) debate it...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 02:03 pm
winning is more important than message for her, cyclo.

(very Cheney)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 02:08 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
And the more dependency "A" can create among the people, the more power "A" acquires.

Example please.
Debra Law

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 02:10 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Rockhead wrote:

(hence, stop healthcare)

Of course they're not against health care in and of itself; they're against health care reform that includes a public option.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 02:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

How tendentious; you know he meant 'health care reform.'

Cycloptichorn

I don't know a single Republican who opposes health care reform either.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 02:15 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:
And the more dependency "A" can create among the people, the more power "A" acquires.

Example please.

I'll refer to the examples Steyn used and add the examples in the USA already stated. And if you would grace us with courtesy to answer the questions I have asked of you, you might not need to keep asking for examples.

You said the conservatives talk about privatization. But have they seriously threatened to take away any government salaries, programs, benefits, or contracts upon which large numbers of people have become dependent? Lip service in generalities is not the same thing as laying out a specific agenda of what they specifically intend to do. That's why Obama was so popular during the campaign. Great lip service in great sounding generalities. Nothing like promising reform of everything while providing Utopia.

The devil in the details is looking a lot less palatable to those who value their freedoms, liberties, choices, and opportunities though. Those already dependent are hanging in there with him on most of it.
parados

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 02:20 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
Great lip service in great sounding generalities.

That sounds like you Foxfyre.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 02:23 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

I'll refer to the examples Steyn used and add the examples in the USA already stated.

In this case, could you please explain why Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are mentioned?
0 Replies