AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:33 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:

McGentrix wrote:
I believe that you probably go though life with your mind reeling.

Wow! McGentrix can use a computer! The mind reels!

Whew! Quite a zinger you got there joefromchicago. Did you find the copy and paste commands by yourself or did you have to call cycloptichorn first?

You're not improving your batting average.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:39 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

You are precious.

keep up the good work, and christian values...

Thank you. You're very kind.

What do you think of Steyn's opinion expressed in the highlighted (red) paragraph above?
Rockhead

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:39 am
@Foxfyre,
i don't care about it.

it is not material to my argument.

(and i don't read red)

see my argument here:
http://able2know.org/topic/136034-5
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:40 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre, quoting Mark Steyn in red, so you know it must be important, wrote:
If you expand the bureaucratic class and you expand the dependent class, you can put together a permanent electoral majority.

This is a major point, and so it's a good thing that Steyn provided several historical examples of permanent electoral majorities being formed in this manner. Well, he provided at least one example. Oh wait ... never mind.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:41 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

i don't care about it.

it is not material to my argument.

(and i don't read red)

Ah okay. Fair enough.

I would appreciate your impression of the accuracy of the statement however. Here it is in black type:

Quote:
The end-game is very obvious. If you expand the bureaucratic class and you expand the dependent class, you can put together a permanent electoral majority. By “dependent”, I don’t mean merely welfare, although that’s a good illustration of the general principle. In political terms, a welfare check is a twofer: you’re assuring the votes both of the welfare recipient and of the vast bureaucracy required to process his welfare. But extend that principle further, to the point where government intrudes into everything: a vast population is receiving more from government (in the form of health care or education subventions) than it thinks it contributes, while another vast population is managing the ever expanding regulatory regime (a federal energy-efficiency code, a government health bureaucracy) and another vast population remains, nominally, in the private sector but, de facto, dependent on government patronage of one form or another " say, the privately owned franchisee of a government automobile company, or the designated “community assistance” organization for helping poor families understand what programs they’re eligible for. Either way, what you get from government " whether in the form of a government paycheck, a government benefit or a government contract " is a central fact of your life.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:42 am
@Foxfyre,
I don't think you are about appreciation.

just my opinion.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:42 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

If you expand the bureaucratic class and you expand the dependent class, you can put together a permanent electoral majority.

This is a major point, and so it's a good thing that Steyn provided several historical examples of permanent electoral majorities being formed in this manner. Well, he provided at least one example. Oh wait ... never mind.

Actually I believe he did provide some actual examples that of course are a result of their various histories.

Do you disagree with the statement? Please elaborate on why if you do.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:43 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

I don't think you are about appreciation.

just my opinion.

That's okay. I accept people just as they are.

Would you comment on that paragraph I posted for you again? Do you agree or disagree with it? Why?
Rockhead

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:44 am
@Foxfyre,
no.

gotta go take my medicine.

(you should too)

good day
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:45 am
@Rockhead,
Okay, Rockhead has pretty well confirmed my previous opinion about the majority of Leftists' inability or unwillingness to focus on ideas and concepts instead of attacking those who express opinions they disagree with. Let's see who else will. I'm hoping some will prove me wrong. Smile

Here's the statement. Agree or disagree but please provide your rationale for your opinion.

I would appreciate a vote from the MACs and others who don't consider themselves Leftists too:

Quote:
The end-game is very obvious. If you expand the bureaucratic class and you expand the dependent class, you can put together a permanent electoral majority. By “dependent”, I don’t mean merely welfare, although that’s a good illustration of the general principle. In political terms, a welfare check is a twofer: you’re assuring the votes both of the welfare recipient and of the vast bureaucracy required to process his welfare. But extend that principle further, to the point where government intrudes into everything: a vast population is receiving more from government (in the form of health care or education subventions) than it thinks it contributes, while another vast population is managing the ever expanding regulatory regime (a federal energy-efficiency code, a government health bureaucracy) and another vast population remains, nominally, in the private sector but, de facto, dependent on government patronage of one form or another " say, the privately owned franchisee of a government automobile company, or the designated “community assistance” organization for helping poor families understand what programs they’re eligible for. Either way, what you get from government " whether in the form of a government paycheck, a government benefit or a government contract " is a central fact of your life.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:47 am
@Foxfyre,
how am I the model for "leftist"?
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:49 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
Actually I believe he did provide some actual examples that of course are a result of the their various histories.

No, he didn't provide any examples of permanent electoral majorities being formed as the result of the expansion of the "dependent" and bureaucratic classes.

Foxfyre wrote:

Of course not. It's absurd. Steyn didn't provide any examples of such permanent electoral majorities because none have ever been created -- not even in Canada, where the notion of a permanent Liberal electoral majority would certainly come as a surprise to Prime Minister Harper.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:50 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:

Actually I believe he did provide some actual examples that of course are a result of their various histories.

Which examples did he, in fact, provide? I just re-read the piece, and I sure couldn't see them. He did discuss Ireland and Canada, but not in relation to 'permanent electoral majorities.'

As for Steyn's piece, it's no worse than his usual crap; neither facts nor logic get in the way of his ideology. I wonder how he squares the fact, that England has instituted many of the things he says would lead to a 'permanent electoral majority,' yet we don't seem to see that there. Why is this?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:55 am
if you really want to keep your party in power, keep cutting taxes on big corporations and wealthy citizens while providing opportunities for them to make even more cash.

keep doing this until the country is on it's knees. then let the other party fix, or try to fix, the broken moneymaker while you simultaneously do not one thing to help. pointing out that the opposition is coming for their daughters and is going to dig up that coffee can full of greenbacks buried in the back yard is most helpful in preparing the ground for a return to real values.

like $100s, $1000s, $100,000,000s, and even $100,000,000,000s !

you don't have to fool all of the people all of the time. you only need to fool most of the people some of the time.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:56 am
@Foxfyre,
you certainly go back and reword and add to your posts like a pro.

your statement as it was written the first of three times...

"Okay, Rockhead has pretty well confirmed my previous opinion about Leftists." <insert little smiley face here>

CYA is a grand motto.

(Cheney's I believe)

thank jeebus for the time limit...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 12:01 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
Quote:
The end-game is very obvious. If you expand the bureaucratic class and you expand the dependent class, you can put together a permanent electoral majority..

if that's the case, the Republicans shoulda definitely won big last time round

Job Growth Where Bush Didn’t Want It

Quote:
Under the current president, federal job growth has averaged 0.73 percent per year, but employment rolls at state and local governments have grown even more rapidly, at rates of 0.88 percent for state governments and 1.21 percent for local governments.
(curent president in this case'd be Bush II)

http://www.aier.org/research/commentaries/750-big-government-under-the-bush-administration

Quote:
Source: The 2008 Statistical Abstract, U.S. Census Bureau

Since 2000, government spending has increased by more than 55 percent. Even when adjusted for inflation in constant (2000) dollars, federal expenditures have risen by just short of 29 percent. During this same period, real Gross Domestic Product (GDP) has only increased by 17.3 percent. Thus, over the last eight years real government spending has gone up nearly twice as fast as the actual U.S. economy.

When the Clinton Administration left the White House, federal spending was 18.4 percent of GDP. In 2008, at the close of the Bush Administration, federal expenditure is 20.5 percent of GDP, for an 11.4 percent increase over the last eight years.

Quote:
By any measure, there has been an explosion in government spending in both the defense and non-defense categories. Not surprisingly with the two wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, defense spending has risen during the Bush Administration by 61 percent in constant dollars.

But “big government” domestic expenditures also have gotten a lot bigger during the presidency of George W. Bush. Welfare state spending has increased by 32 percent in constant dollars from what it was at the end of the Clinton Administration.

Medical Care expenditures by the federal government (which includes Medicare, Medicaid, hospital and medical care for veterans, substance abuse and mental health services) has gone up by 54 percent in constant dollars under the current Republican administration.

Not far behind, Food and Nutrition Assistance (which includes food stamps, child nutrition, and special milk programs, supplemental food programs) has increased 43 percent since 2000.

Social Security and related payments have risen by 19 percent. Public Assistance (which includes family support payments to states, low income home energy assistance, earned income tax credits, legal services, payments to states for daycare assistance, payments to states for foster care/adoption assistance, and other related services) have gone up 17 percent. Housing assistance has increased by 12 percent. Federal student loans and related programs have increased by 129 percent.

The incoming Obama administration will have to work very hard if it wants to exceed the Bush administration in growing the welfare state during its term in office.

appears Mr. Steyn needs to re-think his garble
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 12:01 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

how am I the model for "leftist"?

I didn't say you were a model for 'leftist'. I said that so far you have totally confirmed my opinion about how most leftist's are unable or unwilling to defend their point of view or discuss ideas or concepts, but instead attack, criticize, ridicule or otherwise negatively focus on the messenger of opinions they oppose.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 12:03 pm
@Foxfyre,
how am i a "leftist"?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 12:03 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
I would appreciate a vote from the MACs

I'm kinda curious who those folks are.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 12:04 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:
Actually I believe he did provide some actual examples that of course are a result of the their various histories.

No, he didn't provide any examples of permanent electoral majorities being formed as the result of the expansion of the "dependent" and bureaucratic classes.

Foxfyre wrote:

Of course not. It's absurd. Steyn didn't provide any examples of such permanent electoral majorities because none have ever been created -- not even in Canada, where the notion of a permanent Liberal electoral majority would certainly come as a surprise to Prime Minister Harper.

So you think the illustrations he provided re Wales, Scotland, and Canada are irrelevent to the point he was making? Do you think any one of those countries would vote into office people who would campaign on intent to privatize a lot of their respective government social service networks or does only a party who will keep them intact stand a chance of being elected?