AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 10:05 am
Guys, you can't argue against Fox's fantasies. There's no way to win, as neither logic nor evidence count at all.

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 10:07 am
@Foxfyre,
Oh, come on, fox. GWB was a puppet President much in the way Reagan was a puppet during his second term. In George's case he was a puppet to his faith and his elders, in Ron's case he was a puppet to his handlers as the signs of dementia had already become obvious (and were notably present towards the end of his career).

I'm probably the most anti-Clinton person here, but at least he wasn't a puppet. Neither was George Ist and I admired him for it. I didn't agree with everything he stood for but at least he was standing on his own two feet. You said that George 2 surprised you -- that's because he was a phantom from the beginning.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 10:17 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo, You finally caught on? LOL That's all I've been saying about Foxie's posts for the past six months or so.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 10:45 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Oh, come on, fox. GWB was a puppet President much in the way Reagan was a puppet during his second term. In George's case he was a puppet to his faith and his elders, in Ron's case he was a puppet to his handlers as the signs of dementia had already become obvious (and were notably present towards the end of his career).

I'm probably the most anti-Clinton person here, but at least he wasn't a puppet. Neither was George Ist and I admired him for it. I didn't agree with everything he stood for but at least he was standing on his own two feet. You said that George 2 surprised you -- that's because he was a phantom from the beginning.

Again I accept that as your opinion, JPB but I respectfully disagree. (The peanut gallery of numbnuts and others should be ready to vote up your post and snarky responses per usual. You guys are so reinforcing my previous opinion as to how most leftwingers debate as well as the pack mentality. Smile Please observe how JPB, no less hostile toward me than anybody else, at least can articulate an argument. Take notes. You might learn something.)

George W. Bush made it quite clear in the campaign his views on morality and right and wrong. Those who voted for him, if they were paying attention, knew his views on government funded embrionic stemcell research, his views on right to life, etc. We got exactly what he promised in the campaign on those issues. He was not a puppet to his faith any more than I am. He was guided by it though as I am. The non-religious and/or anti- Christian types probably can't understand or appreciate that.

His father by contrast, had to switch from a pro choice position to a prolife one in order to run with Reagan. His father caved in to pressure from Congress and violated his own stated pledge to not allow any new taxes in order to get promises from Congress (which they of course did not keep.) He was competent and accomplished in many ways and was also a good man, but possessed of feet of clay like all mortals are.

George W. Bush never made that kind of compromise, nor was he ever swayed or adopted a position based on the polls as Bill Clinton (and now Barack Obama) did and do. A 'puppet' president George W. Bush was not, and I think my opinion has already been validated by Bill Sammons and others who have written about him and will be further validated by future histories. The motivation that drove him was a real desire to make a positive difference, however incompetent he turned out to be to accomplish that.

As for Reagan, his contribution was vision and ability to inspire, encourage, and convince. He truly was the great communicator. I agree that he was becoming ill toward the last of his presidency and, because of the slowly advancing dementia was almost certainly protected by his staff. But a puppet? No, I don't think history has or will come to that conclusion at all. The motivation that drove him was a belief in the greatness and virtue of this country and the principles that made it that way, and it came across as genuine. (And no, I didn't and don't agree on everything Reagan did or tried to do.)

You say Bill Clinton was not a puppet, but he was driven by the polls. Bill Clinton governed according to the polls or what he feared the polls might reveal related to his personal life. I don't think the man holds a single conviction that he would defend against the popular point of view. The motivation that drove him was a desire to be loved, appreciated, and admired.

I haven't zeroed in on what drives Obama yet, but I have an extremely uneasy impression that it is not a motivation that intends the best for America or the American people. I hope I am proved very wrong about that.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 10:45 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
I do believe, however, that a Kerry presidency would have been even more disastrous.

The mind reels.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 10:56 am
@joefromchicago,
joe, Do you notice how conservatives always use general terms without providing detail for the fear-mongering?

Foxie wrote:
Quote:
a Kerry presidency would have been even more disastrous.

Never mind how or why, just "more disastrous."
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 10:58 am
@Foxfyre,
no peanuts in Kansas.

the fact that JPB has more patience with your dishonest, thoroughly opinionated arguments is not lost on me either foxy.

(edit: i think i like joe's foxie better. do you mind if i switch?)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:00 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:
I do believe, however, that a Kerry presidency would have been even more disastrous.

The mind reels.

I believe that you probably go though life with your mind reeling.

joefromchicago wrote:
Wow! A lollipop! The mind reels!

joefromchicago wrote:
Wow! Tires are round! The mind reels!

joefromchicago wrote:
Wow! Ice cream is cold! The mind reels!
Rockhead

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:00 am
@McGentrix,
hey, McG.

are you a MAC too?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:01 am
@McGentrix,
Lame, a five-year old could come up with better material than that

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:08 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Wow! McGentrix can use a computer! The mind reels!
McGentrix

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:14 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

Whew! Quite a zinger you got there joefromchicago. Did you find the copy and paste commands by yourself or did you have to call cycloptichorn first?
Rockhead

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:16 am
@McGentrix,
even if you are not being serious, I am.

(i won't label what you are being just yet)

are you one of Foxie's MACs?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:18 am
Quote:
George W. Bush made it quite clear in the campaign his views on morality and right and wrong. Those who voted for him, if they were paying attention, knew his views on government funded embrionic stemcell research, his views on right to life, etc. We got exactly what he promised in the campaign on those issues. He was not a puppet to his faith any more than I am. He was guided by it though as I am. The non-religious and/or anti- Christian types probably can't understand or appreciate that.

Which is why the issue of the dems not coming up with a viable alternative candidate was so disconcerting. And, I would say that you are also a puppet to your faith -- but I have no objection to that because you aren't the President of the United States and how you live your daily life has no influence on how I live mine whatsoever. All Presidents are "guided" by their faith. But, most of them aren't puppets the way George was/is.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:21 am
Here is a thought provoking essay from one conservative Canadian that will probably ring true with most MACs, might inspire some critical thinking among intelligent non-MACs, and will probably be totally over the head of the peanut gallery and numbnuts who don't even understand what a MAC is, much less are bright enough to discuss ideas, issues and/or concepts.

I have highlighted what I think is the "money paragraph" supported by illustrations in the rest of the essay.

Quote:
UNTANGLING THE SPAGHETTI
Steyn on America
Tuesday, 11 August 2009
from National Review

What’s the end-game here? I suppose it’s conceivable that there are a few remaining suckers out there who still believe Barack Obama is the great post-partisan, fiscally responsible, pragmatic centrist he played so beguilingly just a year ago. The New York Times’ David Brooks stuck it out longer than most:

Only a few backs, he was giddy with excitement over the President’s “education” “reforms” (whatever they were). But now he says we’re in “the early stages of the liberal suicide march”. For a famously moderate moderate, Mr Brooks seems to have gone from irrational optimism over the Democrats’ victory to irrational optimism over the Democrats’ impending downfall without the intervening stage of rational pessimism.

The end-game is very obvious. If you expand the bureaucratic class and you expand the dependent class, you can put together a permanent electoral majority. By “dependent”, I don’t mean merely welfare, although that’s a good illustration of the general principle. In political terms, a welfare check is a twofer: you’re assuring the votes both of the welfare recipient and of the vast bureaucracy required to process his welfare. But extend that principle further, to the point where government intrudes into everything: a vast population is receiving more from government (in the form of health care or education subventions) than it thinks it contributes, while another vast population is managing the ever expanding regulatory regime (a federal energy-efficiency code, a government health bureaucracy) and another vast population remains, nominally, in the private sector but, de facto, dependent on government patronage of one form or another " say, the privately owned franchisee of a government automobile company, or the designated “community assistance” organization for helping poor families understand what programs they’re eligible for. Either way, what you get from government " whether in the form of a government paycheck, a government benefit or a government contract " is a central fact of your life.

A lot of the developed world has already gone quite a long way down this road. If you want to know what Obama’s pledge to “save or create” four million jobs would look like if the stimulus weren’t a total bust, consider what “good news” means in an Obama-sized state: A couple of years back, I happened to catch an intriguing headline up north. “The Canadian economy is picking up steam,” reported the CBC. Statistics Canada had just announced that “the economy added 56,100 new jobs, two-thirds of them full time.” That’s great news, isn’t it? Why, the old economy’s going gangbusters, stand well back.

But I was interested to know just what sectors these jobs had been created in. And, upon investigation, it emerged that, of those 56,100 new jobs, 4,200 were self-employed, 8,900 were in private businesses, and the remaining 43,000 were on the public payroll. “The economy” hadn’t added those jobs; the government had: that's why they call it “creating” jobs. Seventy-seven per cent of the new jobs were government jobs, or “jobs”, paid for by the poor schlubs working away in the remaining 23 per cent. So the “good news” was just more bad news, just a further transfer from the vital dynamic sector to the state.

In Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, government spending accounts for between 72 and 78 per cent of the economy, and, as I wrote here earlier this year, that’s “about the best a ‘free’ society can hope to attain this side of complete Sovietization.” But, if you’re not on welfare, working in the welfare office or working for a “green solutions” company that’s landed the government contract for printing the recycled envelopes in which the welfare checks are mailed out, it’s not an attractive society to be in. It’s not a place to run a small business " a feed store or a plumbing company or anything innovative, all of which will be taxed and regulated into supporting that seventysomething per cent. After all, what does it matter if your business goes under? Either you’ll join the government workforce, or you’ll go on the dole. So you too will become part of the dependent class, or the class that’s dependent upon the dependent class. Either way, Big Government wins (as we already see in California).

In the normal course of events, the process takes a while. But Obama believes in “the fierce urgency of now”, and fierce it is. That’s where all the poor befuddled sober centrists who can’t understand why the Democrats keep passing incoherent 1,200-page bills every week are missing the point. If “health care” were about health care, the devil would be in the details. But it’s not about health or costs or coverage; it’s about getting over the river and burning the bridge. It doesn’t matter what form of governmentalized health care gets passed as long as it passes. Once it’s in place, it will be “reformed”, endlessly, but it will never be undone. Same with a lot of the other stuff: Keep throwing the spaghetti at the wall. The Republicans may pick off the odd strand but, if you keep it coming fast enough, by the end of Obama’s first year the wall will be a great writhing mass of pasta entwined like copulating anacondas in some jungle simulacrum of Hef’s grotto. And that’s a good image of how government will slither into every corner of your life: You can try and pull one of those spaghetti strings out but it’ll be all tied up with a hundred others and you’ll never untangle them.

from National Review
http://www.steynonline.com/content/view/2341/26/
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:25 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Quote:

Which is why the issue of the dems not coming up with a viable alternative candidate was so disconcerting. And, I would say that you are also a puppet to your faith -- but I have no objection to that because you aren't the President of the United States and how you live your daily life has no influence on how I live mine whatsoever. All Presidents are "guided" by their faith. But, most of them aren't puppets the way George was/is.

We can always agree to disagree if we chose not to presume to judge others based on nothing more than our own prejudices. Would you agree with that?

What do you think of Steyn's opinion expressed in the highlighted (red) paragraph above?
Rockhead

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:26 am
@Foxfyre,
that floridly flies in the face of your previous snarky post, dear.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:30 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

Whew! Quite a zinger you got there joefromchicago.

Do you often feel the need to comment on other men's zingers?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:31 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

that floridly flies in the face of your previous snarky post, dear.

Keep working at it Rockhead, and you might actually have something to contribute that is not ad hominem or personally insulting in ways that graphically illustrate your own indefensible prejudices. (Let me know if you need me to translate the big words since you seem to have so much trouble understanding what MAC is or what it stands for.)

What do you think of Steyn's opinion expressed in the highlighted (red) paragraph above?
Rockhead

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:33 am
@Foxfyre,
You are precious.

keep up the good work, and christian values...