AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 11:26 am
@Foxfyre,
good grief... get a grip. are you guys faking, or have you really forgotten about this. and from our younger days to boot, so it shouldn't be that hard to understand.

http://www.mauiready.org/images/CivilDefenseLogo.jpg

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 11:30 am
@ican711nm,
ican711nm wrote:

Those talking , listening, and non-screaming 35 to 55 year old people are visible on the videos I've seen, as well as from attending town hall and tea party meetings myself. Perhaps you watch videos from which such people are edited.

Should you care to provide videos that show otherwise, then post them. Alternatively, tune in Fox News videos of those meetings, or examine the photos of those meetings published in the WSJ.

that's what i thought. as usual you got nothing but b.s. i and others have already posted vids. for weeks and weeks.

so, show us yours. you say you've seen 'em. so post 'em.
ican711nm

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:05 pm
@Diest TKO,
TKO, We are debating HOW the Constitution should be interpreted. I say the Constitution should be interpreted according to the common definitions of words in which it is written. You say, or I think you say, the Constitution should be interpreted according to what federal judges presume to be the current expedients.

The Constitution says what it says, whether I love it or hate it. I think it should be interpreted according to its plain language statements and not according to current political desires. If the Constitution does not grant the federal government a particular power, the federal government cannot legally exercise that power.

The Constitution is a grant of powers by the people to the federal government. Therefore, I think all Americans possess the right to debate what powers the Constitution grants and does not grant to the federal government. The USSC has not been granted a monoply to debate these powers.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:06 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
What is that?
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:10 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

I've seen that video several times, mostly posted by okie. But here's what I asked:
FreeDuck wrote:

Other than a single, out of context, and misinterpreted line from a speech (to civilian security forces -- police) what evidence do you and our good wacky congressman have that this will happen?

We can play "interpret the meaning" all we want to but what evidence do you have that he's planning some sort of Obama Revolutionary Guard?

To date I only have perception and observation of behavior that gives me zero confidence that the U.S. Constitution or individual freedom and rights are a priority for this administration. I have observed eloquent oratory that masks and obscures (at least to the most gullible) broken promise after broken promise or disingenuous rhetoric along with increased pressure to assume more control over commerce and industry, and pressure to acquire more influence or control over mass communications, all which places more power in the Presidency itself.

That perception is somewhat reinforced, at least in part, by the article posted. I am not even sure, as the American Thinker writer is, that Obama didn't in fact mean a national civilian police force under the direct authority of the President. He may have backed off that due to the immediate negative response to such an idea. Or, he may in fact have meant a large federalized volunteer force, but if he in fact meant that, he sure had a strange way of wording it don't you think?

Those of you who are totally enamored with our President of course want to believe he is indeed our messiah and God's gift to humanity. That seems to be even more true of those of you who so loathe and despise our previous President. Such hatred tends to distort and muddle accuracy of one's perceptions.

For now, I think it wise that there remain at least some skeptics who will need a lot more assurance before promoting or authorizing programs, policy, methods, etc. that won't easily be unwound or rolled back should they turn out to be something different than advertised.
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:12 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
I have absolutely no idea what that symbol is. I don't recall anything like that from my younger days.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:15 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

What is that?

it's the logo of the old Civil Defense force back in the 40's, 50's and 60's.

http://www.civildefensemuseum.com/artgal/cdweek1956sm.jpg

this is a pretty good site about it.

http://www.civildefensemuseum.com/

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:15 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

I have absolutely no idea what that symbol is. I don't recall anything like that from my younger days.

It's the old United States civil defense logo.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:16 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

then you should look it up. especially before you go all panicville about obama's private army.

ican711nm

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:19 pm
@parados,
No, I am not saying it would be OK if the TARP funds were simply a loan to the President and then he did whatever he wanted with them such as giving the money to banks and auto companies.

I am saying that the Constitution grants to the Congress the power to do that and other stupid things. I do not think it an OK way "to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and the general welfare of the United States." I am opposed to Congress doing that and other stupid things.

I expect that if Congress were to do that stupid thing, the American people would be so enraged that they would remove the Congressmen--as well as Obama--one way or another who voted for that.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:23 pm
@joefromchicago,
The Supreme Court has itself reversed its past decisions. Those decisions are not God's. They are human decisions and are just as likely as they were in the past to be reversed again!

Also all 27 Amendments to the Constitution were approved by state legislators not by the Supreme Court.
FreeDuck

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:27 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

To date I only have perception and observation of behavior that gives me zero confidence that the U.S. Constitution or individual freedom and rights are a priority for this administration.

Ok, fair enough. You have "a bad feeling" about the president. That about sum it up?

Quote:
I have observed eloquent oratory that masks and obscures (at least to the most gullible) broken promise after broken promise or disingenuous rhetoric along with increased pressure to assume more control over commerce and industry, mass communications, and place more power in the Presidency itself.

Which of his promises were you hoping he would keep? How has he attempted to assume more control over the areas you mention? I know only of your somewhat embellished fears about the cybersecurity act. Control over commerce and industry I believe began with the TARP program, which you were not so concerned about at the time.

Quote:
That perception is somewhat reinforced, at least in part, by the article posted.

Your perception is reinforced by another person's perception, you mean. Because that's what that article was about -- the good representative's perception.

Quote:
I am not even sure, as the American Thinker writer is, that Obama didn't in fact mean a national civilian police force under the direct authority of the President. He may have backed off that due to the immediate negative response to such an idea. Or, he may in fact have meant a large federalized volunteer force, but if he in fact meant that, he sure had a strange way of wording it don't you think?

I don't know but I think any would-be dictator so easily influenced by public pressure should not be difficult to keep in check.

Quote:
Those of you who are totally enamored with our President of course want to believe he is indeed our messiah and God's gift to humanity.

Right. If we don't buy into the hysteria it must be because we are enamored with the President and think he's the messiah. Why when you put it like that it makes it easy to hold your position, doesn't it. Caricature those you disagree with so that it becomes easy to think yourself superior.

Quote:
That seems to be even more true of those of you who so loathe and despise our previous President. Such hatred tends to distort and muddle accuracy of one's perceptions.

True, such hatred does tend to distort the accuracy of one's perceptions. I don't hate our previous President, though (love the sinner and all that). I hate what he did and what he allowed his vice president to do. There is a difference. Dismissing criticisms of the previous president as coming from haters leaves you with dangerously narrow opinions to consider, as does dismissing the facts in favor of your "perception" and "zero confidence".

Quote:
For now, I think it wise that there remain at least some skeptics who are interested in not promoting or authorizing programs, policy, methods, etc. that won't easily be unwound or rolled back should they turn out to be something different than advertised.

Skeptics are always in demand. Might I suggest that there are many things to be skeptical about -- your inbox being one of them.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:28 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
You alleged that the attendees of town hall and tea party meetings were all old people.

Provide some evidence to support your allegation.
FreeDuck

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:28 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
I see. His trench coat is hiding his brown shirt. ; )
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:32 pm
@ican711nm,
been done, fella. by myself and others. btw, i said "mostly".

you say different. so post 'em or drop it.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:33 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

then you should look it up. especially before you go all panicville about obama's private army.

I just did. The purpose of that initiative was to construct and stock fallout shelters and provide emergency rescue in event of nuclear attack which was perceived as a very real threat during that era. Not that much different from civilians who train with police and fire fighters in disaster drills now. I still vividly remember the 'duck and cover' drills in every school. In highschool I was also a member of the Junior Civil Air Patrol. Once a week I spent a couple of hours in the tower of the State Capital in Santa Fe armed with a pair of strong binoculars and a chart of various kinds of aircraft. My job was to immediately call in ANY aircraft, other than small private planes, spotted in the area. Los Alamos, a short distance away, was still a closed city requiring permit and search for anybody entering.

Now, tell me again why Obama would have said that we can no longer rely on the military to meet our security objectives? Why we need a national civilian security force that is just as well funded and just as powerful? Why would Rahm Emmanuel follow up Obama's comments with the suggestion that they would like for such a force to be mandatory for all persons from Age 18 to I think 25?

What does this sound like to you?

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:33 pm
@FreeDuck,
and i'm the one that's supposed to be the dumb liberal... cheese und crackers...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:40 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Now, tell me again why Obama would have said that we can no longer rely on the military to meet our security objectives?

You don't think there's more to achieving our security objectives than just bombing the **** out of other countries?

Quote:
Why we need a national civilian security force that is just as well funded and just as powerful?

Who responded on 9/11? Was it the military?

Quote:
Why would Rahm Emmanuel follow up Obama's comments with the suggestion that they would like for such a force to be mandatory for all persons from Age 18 to I think 25?

No idea, maybe if you quoted him we could have a guess.

Quote:

It sounds like he's trying to approach our security from more than one angle and like he wants people to be involved in their government and like he sees the value of civilian police, fire and rescue, and local volunteers. What does it sound like to you?
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:42 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

I just did. The purpose of that initiative was to construct and stock fallout shelters and provide emergency rescue in event of nuclear attack which was perceived as a very real threat during that era. Not that much different from civilians who train with police and fire fighters in disaster drills now. I still vividly remember the 'duck and cover' drills in every school. In highschool I was also a member of the Junior Civil Air Patrol. Once a week I spent a couple of hours in the tower of the State Capital in Santa Fe armed with a pair of strong binoculars and a chart of various kinds of aircraft. My job was to immediately call in ANY aircraft, other than small private planes, spotted in the area. Los Alamos, a short distance away, was still a closed city requiring permit and search for anybody entering.

Now, tell me again why Obama would have said that we can no longer rely on the military to meet our security objectives? Why we need a national civilian security force that is just as well funded and just as powerful? Why would Rahm Emmanuel follow up Obama's comments with the suggestion that they would like for such a force to be mandatory for all persons from Age 18 to I think 25?

it sounds to me like someone is thinking, that's what. of course rahm said that. he's israeli. they have mandatory service. many countries do. civil defense did more than just stock bomb shelters. during world war II, they also did things like make sure people were following blackout procedures, etc. back in the day, my dad was in CD, CAP and was still Navy Reserve. gee, over achieve much? so was he a closet brown shirt for Truman, Ike and Kennedy?

i suspect that if a republican had suggested it, you guys would be going after anyone who wasn't into it and calling them unpatriotic.
djjd62

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:44 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

good grief... get a grip. are you guys faking, or have you really forgotten about this. and from our younger days to boot, so it shouldn't be that hard to understand.

http://www.mauiready.org/images/CivilDefenseLogo.jpg

it's all mp3 now Razz
0 Replies