AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 01:34 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
What can't be justified is an action by government that appears at least questionable that benefits a particular person or group for political purposes and smells very much like payola.

well when you have some hard proof that this Brazilian thing is a simple construct brought about for the sole financial benefit of the nefarious George Soros, lemme know.

but somehow, i don't think that you'll be able to;

Quote:
Fact: The Bank’s bipartisan Board unanimously approved the preliminary commitment to Petrobras on April 14, 2009, before any Obama appointees joined the Bank. In fact, at the time the Bank’s Board consisted of three Republicans and two Democrats, all of whom were appointed by George W. Bush.

http://www.exim.gov/brazil/pressrelease_082009.cfm

i think freeduck may have posted this already, but incase you didn't notice...

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 01:36 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Quote:
Fact: The Bank’s bipartisan Board unanimously approved the preliminary commitment to Petrobras on April 14, 2009, before any Obama appointees joined the Bank. In fact, at the time the Bank’s Board consisted of three Republicans and two Democrats, all of whom were appointed by George W. Bush.

http://www.exim.gov/brazil/pressrelease_082009.cfm

i think freeduck may have posted this already, but incase you didn't notice...

Yeah, that would make the third time it was posted (I posted it twice). Here's hoping it sinks in this time.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 01:39 pm
@FreeDuck,
"oh, Lord... why does it have to be so hard ??" Laughing
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 01:41 pm
@FreeDuck,
He didn't dump any Petrobas stock. He switched from common to preferred

Quote:
Soros reports 73.5% increase in Petrobras stake - MarketWatch
Feb 17, 2009 ... Soros, through his Soros Fund Management LLC, reported holding 36.8 million American ... Soros reports 73.5% increase in Petrobras stake ...
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/soros-reports-735-increase-petrobras-stake

He reduced the stake by reducing shares. I haven't seen anybody really put the pencil to it, but I would be really surprised if his hedge fund reduced the dollar amount of its investment.

Quote:
Aug. 14 (Bloomberg) -- Billionaire George Soros cut his stake in his biggest holding, Petroleo Brasileiro SA, in the second quarter while buying more shares of other energy producers.

His New York-based hedge-fund firm, Soros Fund Management LLC, sold 22 million U.S.-listed common shares of Petrobras, as the Brazilian oil company is known, according to a filing today with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Soros bought 5.8 million of the company’s U.S.-traded preferred shares.

Soros is taking advantage of the spread between the two types of U.S.-listed Petrobras shares, said Luis Maizel, president of LM Capital Group LLC, which manages about $4 billion. The common shares were 21 percent more expensive than preferred today, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

“He knows he held a voting right in the common shares that would never translate to actual power,” Maizel said in an interview from San Francisco. “He’s just playing the spread.”

Petrobras preferred shares have also a 10 percent additional dividend, said William Landers, a senior portfolio manager for Latin America at Blackrock Inc.

“Given that there will most likely never be a change in control in the company, I see no reason to pay a higher price for the common shares.” Brazil’s government controls Petrobras and has a majority stake of voting shares.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a.V5sgGzdsQY

And this is the second or third time I've pointed out that your source is the government entity being questioned here. How many government entities do you know who will admit that what they are doing isn't absolutely wonderful for God, country, mother, and apple pie? And since when does any of our government entities have their own money that does not belong to the American people?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 01:45 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

The problem is that some of the mentally ill and the more chronic addicts won't accept the help, especially if it comes with any kind of requirement or expectation. And the law is prohibited from forcing them to accept help.

If someone is mentally ill here and doesn't accept help, he's send by court to the psychiatric hospital (mentally health law). The court is informed by the local "code enforcement office" (kind of 'public order civil servants', at all town/city councils).

Charities help here, of course as well, towns/cities/counties just provide the basic as ordered by our constitution (that's home, and a small amount for food, cloth etc).

I fully understand that some mental ill persons don't accept help - that's exactly the reason why they go in a hospital by juridical order 8and get a legal guardian after 48 hours).
What chronic addicts do is more or less their business .... as long as they can decide about that, and they aren't caught doing something illegal.

My point, however, was more that we generally don't combine 'homeless' and 'mentally ill'. [Well that some consider the homeless as mentally ill, others the town councillors and again others both of these groups - that's a different kettle of fish.]
FreeDuck

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 01:52 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

He didn't dump any Petrobas stock. He switched from common to preferred

He sold 22 million of one kind and bought 5.8 million of another. Regardless of the dollar amount, he doesn't show up as a top ten stake holder under any calculation for either stock.

Quote:
And this is the second or third time I've pointed out that your source is the government entity being questioned here. How many government entities do you know who will admit that what they are doing isn't absolutely wonderful for God, country, mother, and apple pie? And since when does any of our government entities have their own money that does not belong to the American people?

Are you suggesting that the Ex-Im bank is violating its charter? They were established by legislation that should be easy to look up, so if they are lending money that will not be used to purchase US exports that would be a violation of the law. Theirs is the official explanation and they are the only source that has been cited yet who could actually be held responsible for lying. Your op-eders, one of them nameless, have no responsibility to be factual. And where do you suppose they get their information from? From the official sources, of course.

Whether the money belongs to the people and whether it is "taxpayer dollars" are two separate questions. I imagine that, like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the Ex-Im bank is self-sufficient by making money off of its loans. Its initial capital may have been US taxpayer dollars, but this money going to Petrobras is not coming out of the federal budget.
old europe

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 01:53 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
He didn't dump any Petrobas stock.

Foxfyre wrote:
He reduced the stake by reducing shares.

Sounds like a bit of a contradiction.

Foxfyre wrote:
I haven't seen anybody really put the pencil to it, but I would be really surprised if his hedge fund reduced the dollar amount of its investment.

From the article you quoted:

• Soros Fund Management LLC sold 22 million U.S.-listed common shares of Petrobras
  • Soros bought 5.8 million of the company’s U.S.-traded preferred shares
  • The common shares were 21 percent more expensive than preferred today

Sounds like his hedge fund reduced the dollar amount of its investment.
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 01:53 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

The problem is that some of the mentally ill and the more chronic addicts won't accept the help, especially if it comes with any kind of requirement or expectation. And the law is prohibited from forcing them to accept help.

If someone is mentally ill here and doesn't accept help, he's send by court to the psychiatric hospital (mentally health law). The court is informed by the local "code enforcement office" (kind of 'public order civil servants', at all town/city councils).

Charities help here, of course as well, towns/cities/counties just provide the basic as ordered by our constitution (that's home, and a small amount for food, cloth etc).

I fully understand that some mental ill persons don't accept help - that's exactly the reason why they go in a hospital by juridical order 8and get a legal guardian after 48 hours).
What chronic addicts do is more or less their business .... as long as they can decide about that, and they aren't caught doing something illegal.

My point, however, was more that we generally don't combine 'homeless' and 'mentally ill'. [Well that some consider the homeless as mentally ill, others the town councillors and again others both of these groups - that's a different kettle of fish.]

Americans view civil liberties somewhat differently Walter. We used to have the same kind of system until those advocacy groups previously mentioned got the ACLU to help them change the system. They thought it wrong to deny liberty to people who were able to dress and feed themselves whether or not such people could support themselves. So they convinced the state legislatures and the federal government to change the law so that people could not be arrested and incarcerated purely for being indigent, vagrant, or homeless.

And no matter how much DTOM wants to blame Reagan for all of it, it was certainly was not his initiative and his only 'crime' was signing legislation the state legislature passed and advocating states rights once he was President, something a lot of us wish with all our hearts that President Bush had advocated and that President Obama would advocate.

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 01:58 pm
@old europe,
What you wanna bet Fox conveniently chooses to respond to other posts instead of this?

T
K
O
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 01:59 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Every winter on unusually cold nights, the police and others comb the streets looking for those without shelter. They provide transport to the shelter for any who will accept it. There are always a few who will not, and therefore there are always a few who succumb to the elements. This is not because of neglect or uncaring.

I didn't mean such at all.
It's quite similar here, too.
And again: I didn't reall refer to 'neglect' and/or 'uncaring' but to connect this group(these groups with "mentally ill" and especially with "psychiatric hospital".

I've been quite often in the wards for mentally (psychiatric) ill who are mentally disabled - that are departments (or just wards) in our psychiatric hospitals as well ... (As well as in any other department/ward .... over 30 years by now.)
ican711nm

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 02:01 pm
@Foxfyre,
Obama is far worse than Clinton ever was. Clinton was primarily interested in getting re-elected. Obama is primarily interested is nserving his sponsors.

Impeachment and removal of a president does not involve the Supreme Court--or any other federal court. It only involves the Congress and the Chief Justice who presides over the Senate's impeachment trial proceedings. Therefore impeachment and removal of Obama are, respectively, strictly House and Senate proceedings.

Quote:

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/constitution_transcript.html
Article I.
Section 2. ...
The House of Representatives shall choose their speaker and other officers; and shall have the sole power of impeachment.

Section 3. ...
The Senate shall have the sole power to try all impeachments. When sitting for that purpose, they shall be on oath or affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no person shall be convicted without the concurrence of two thirds of the members present.

Section 5. ...
Each House may determine the rules of its proceedings, punish its members for disorderly behavior, and, with the concurrence of two thirds, expel a member.

The impeacable offense that ought to be apparent to everyone is Obama signing laws that permit the federal government to take property without just compensation from those persons who lawfully earned it, and giving it to those persons who did not lawfully earn it.

Quote:

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/bill_of_rights_transcript.html
Amendment V.
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Amendment IX.
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X.
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 02:01 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
How many government entities do you know who will admit that what they are doing isn't absolutely wonderful for God, country, mother, and apple pie? ...

how convenient that you only now come on that thought.

you are throwing contradictions like mad today, babe.

so far, all you have come up with is that it's okay for everybody to make money except george soros.
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 02:06 pm
@FreeDuck,
I think it completely naive to depend on Paul to explain why it was a bad thing to rob from Peter to pay Paul.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 02:07 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

...And no matter how much DTOM wants to blame Reagan for all of it

first of all, i did not blame reagan for "all of it". but, he didn't help either, because;

it was certainly was not his initiative and his ( Reagan's)only 'crime' was signing legislation...

which he could have, but did not veto. so it became his initiative, right? just like Afghanistan is now "Obama's war"?

0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 02:09 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

Every winter on unusually cold nights, the police and others comb the streets looking for those without shelter. They provide transport to the shelter for any who will accept it. There are always a few who will not, and therefore there are always a few who succumb to the elements. This is not because of neglect or uncaring.

I didn't mean such at all.
It's quite similar here, too.
And again: I didn't reall refer to 'neglect' and/or 'uncaring' but to connect this group(these groups with "mentally ill" and especially with "psychiatric hospital".

I've been quite often in the wards for mentally (psychiatric) ill who are mentally disabled - that are departments (or just wards) in our psychiatric hospitals as well ... (As well as in any other department/ward .... over 30 years by now.)

Walter, people who cannot make choices or function in any intentional way or who are a danger to themselves or others can be forcibly committed to mental institutions here too.

The Homeless people, however, according to our LAW, are able to make choices and to function in intentional ways and are not a danger to themselves or others, and they cannot be required against their will to be institutionalized. The Lefties--probably some of the same group who made the law to be rewritten as it now is--are the ones who now blame Reagan and the Republicans because we have homeless people on the street, many or most of whom would likely be in mental institutions under our old law.
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 02:13 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:
How many government entities do you know who will admit that what they are doing isn't absolutely wonderful for God, country, mother, and apple pie? ...

how convenient that you only now come on that thought.

you are throwing contradictions like mad today, babe.

so far, all you have come up with is that it's okay for everybody to make money except george soros.

I in no place have said, suggested, or implied that it is wrong for George Soros or anybody else to make money. And it certainly is not the first time that I have suggested that a highly prejudiced source is not the best place to go for complete information.

Please point out a single contradiction I've made on this today. Just one. One will do.
FreeDuck

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 02:13 pm
@Foxfyre,
That's nice. But I'm not asking you to take Ex-Im bank's word on its efficacy. I'm asking you to respect facts. The Ex-Im bank was chartered to loan money (among other things) in order to facilitate US exports. It voted in April, before any Obama appointees were seated, to preliminarily approve these loans/guarantees to Petrobras. Those are assertions of fact which can quite easily be checked. They even link to the meeting minutes where they gave unanimous preliminary approval and their charter can be read on their site as well. If you won't believe that but will believe some fishy smell that comes when nameless right wing opinion writers open their mouths then that's your right. But again I ask you to think about who is pushing this story and what would be in it for them, and why they think you are so easily manipulated by innuendo.

Just admit that this story is a bunch of nothing. You got nothing, now let it go.
FreeDuck

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 02:15 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

And it certainly is not the first time that I have suggested that a highly prejudiced source is not the best place to go for complete information.

What a gem. I'm hanging on to this one.

0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 02:18 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

I think it completely naive to depend on Paul to explain why it was a bad thing to rob from Peter to pay Paul.

why didn't you question the last administration about that??

for instance, when clinton left office, the u.s. debt held by the chinese was something like 65 billion. not all that much higher than previous to his admin. within a couple of years, bush jr. had it well over 3oo billion.

as of last fall, still in bushy's column, $585 billion.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/18/AR2008111803558.html

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 02:22 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

The Homeless people, however, according to our LAW, are able to make choices and to function in intentional ways and are not a danger to themselves or others, and they cannot be required against their will to be institutionalized. The Lefties--probably some of the same group who made the law to be rewritten as it now is--are the ones who now blame Reagan and the Republicans because we have homeless people on the street, many or most of whom would likely be in mental institutions under our old law.

Yes. And that's makes me wonder.

I've seen dozens of those you call 'homeless' in the USA.
And I know about the reasons why they are on the streets (when I taught 'Methods of Social Work' at university, I used this as an example to show the different ways of handling such ... here and there and elsewhere).