AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

JTT

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 11:52 am
ican711nm wrote:
JTT wrote:
parados wrote:
No, I guess you don't understand a thing about the constitution. Something that is PART of the constitution can't be "illegal." the income tax is constitutional because it is right there in the constitution.

I don't think that any law can be 'illegal', can it, Parados? A law, duly passed by a legislative body can be unconstitutional where it's deemed to be in conflict with the Constitution but that doesn't make it illegal.

Yes, any law passed by Congress or any state legisture that is determined to be in conflict with the USA Constitution is illegal.

Quote:
USA CONSTITUTION Article VI
This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.

The portion that I've put in bold and underlined, Ican, doesn't say what you've said. It states that federal laws are supreme vis a vis state laws. But still, a law, any law can be unconsitutional but it can't be illegal.

Has any official ever been held criminally or civilly liable for creating an unconstitutional law, which you call 'illegal'? If these laws were 'illegal' wouldn't it be that they would have been?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 12:07 pm
If any state or any county or any city, town, or village passes a law authorizing the owning of slaves, that would be an illegal law. "Unconstitutional" by its very definition means illegal.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 04:05 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
If any state or any county or any city, town, or village passes a law authorizing the owning of slaves, that would be an illegal law. "Unconstitutional" by its very definition means illegal.

I don't believe that's right, Foxy. They each have distinct meanings, they each have distinctly different results. Things that are illegal have penalties attached to them. Have you ever heard of any legislator(s)/enforcement personnel being subject to legal penalties for what turned out to be an unconstitutional law?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 04:09 pm
Well, try passing a local ordinance absolving you from paying Federal income taxes and then not pay them. Or get a local law passed allowing slave ownership and go out and buy you a couple of those and see how it works out. We'll find out soon enough if you are right.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 04:26 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Well, try passing a local ordinance absolving you from paying Federal income taxes and then not pay them. Or get a local law passed allowing slave ownership and go out and buy you a couple of those and see how it works out. We'll find out soon enough if you are right.

You're conflating two distinct processes, Foxy. On the one hand you have the legislators and on the other citizens who could run afoul of the law.

The absurdity of your examples makes it difficult to focus on the actual issue.

Perhaps in such a situation, there miiiiight be an argument that the said legislators were so abusing their positions that what they did pass into law amounted to some legislative abuse. But we don't have to go there, to the absurd, I mean.

I'm suggesting, and I may well be wrong, that a law, passed by a duly elected body can never be illegal. It is the law for the time it's in force. It can be found to be unconstitutional, as many are, but that still doesn't make it illegal. It only makes it null and void.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 04:39 pm
It isn't absurd at all. Illegal is illegal. Owning slaves is illegal anywhere in the United States as is stated in the U.S. Constitution and no amount of laws passed by states, counties, cities or any other jurisdiction will change that. I offer this only in rebuttal to your statement that a law cannot be illegal. It can. And if it goes against constitutional law, it is. If some renegade incorporated village or whatever attempted to pass such a law as a cover for a slave trade operation, they would probably be prosecuted for racketeering or worse.

Is somebody prosecuted for passing an illegal law? If it wasn't shown to be a cover for intentionally breaking the law, probably not. But once the court rules the law illegal, anyone attempting to enforce the law or practice within its authority would certainly be at risk for prosecution. Unconstitutional means illegal. You cannot have a law in violation of the Constitution that is legal.

If it isn't legal it is, by definintion, illegal.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 05:31 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
It isn't absurd at all. Illegal is illegal. Owning slaves is illegal anywhere in the United States as is stated in the U.S. Constitution and no amount of laws passed by states, counties, cities or any other jurisdiction will change that. I offer this only in rebuttal to your statement that a law cannot be illegal. It can. And if it goes against constitutional law, it is. If some renegade incorporated village or whatever attempted to pass such a law as a cover for a slave trade operation, they would probably be prosecuted for racketeering or worse.

Is somebody prosecuted for passing an illegal law? If it wasn't shown to be a cover for intentionally breaking the law, probably not. But once the court rules the law illegal, anyone attempting to enforce the law or practice within its authority would certainly be at risk for prosecution. Unconstitutional means illegal. You cannot have a law in violation of the Constitution that is legal.

Actually there are probably hundreds of laws that are, right this moment, unconstitutional, yet those laws are being used to charge and convict people.

We know this to be the case because people have been convicted of laws that were later found to be unconstitutional and therefore, null and void, but I don't believe that unconstitutional laws have ever been found to be illegal.

If they were deemed illegal, don't you think it should follow that those who perpetrated these illegalities, ie. the legislators, law enforcement, and the lower courts could/would all be subject to punishment? Should those same people be civilly liable?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 06:35 pm
JTT wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Actually there are probably hundreds of laws that are, right this moment, unconstitutional, yet those laws are being used to charge and convict people.

We know this to be the case because people have been convicted of laws that were later found to be unconstitutional and therefore, null and void, but I don't believe that unconstitutional laws have ever been found to be illegal.

If they were deemed illegal, don't you think it should follow that those who perpetrated these illegalities, ie. the legislators, law enforcement, and the lower courts could/would all be subject to punishment? Should those same people be civilly liable?

You'll have to consult a mind trained in such legal stuff I think for that answer. I don't know of any laws that have been passed in intentional defiance of the constitution. If such were to be done, then we might have an answer as to whether such would carry an enforceable penalty.

The closest to it that I am aware of was the 2006 law passed by South Dakota outlawing most abortion in direct conflict with Roe v Wade. Of course the courts immediatley moved to block enforcement of the law, but it will eventually wind up for another argument at the Supreme Court. Would it be prosecutable to attempt to enforce a law on which the courts have ordered a stay? I don't know. Maybe somebody else does.

Kelo, however, is in my opinion a law passed by a city in direct violation of the Constitution and the Supreme Court upheld it. That too I expect to be revisited and reargued sooner or later.

So the debate isn't over.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 06:43 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Aside from the fine points, even minutia, of Constitutional law and intent, there is a larger principle at work here.

Whenever government forces the more affluent to support the less affluent, many of the less affluent have far less incentive to become affluent than would otherwise exist. A tax system that essentially punishes the high wage earner and rewards the lower wage earner is likely to be highly favored by the lower wage earner. And his vote counts just as much as the higher wage earner and there are a lot more of him.

If you tax a man with adjusted gross income of $1,000,000 at say 10%, he will pay $100,000 in taxes. If you tax a man with adjusted gross income of $10,000 at 10%, he will pay $1,000 in taxes. Even our staunchest numbnuts can see that the high wage earner is paying 99%more into the treasury than is the lower wage earner.

There is however no incentive for the lower wage earner to push for an increase in a flat tax because he will have to pay more right along with the higher wage earner. There will be incentive for the lower wage earner to become a higher wage earner as that is the only way he will be able to enrich himself. (That is also the most efficient way to increase the national treasury. Perhaps the only sustainable way.)

Further, a uniform tax rate, would again mean that each person's vote will have equal weight with our elected leaders who set the tax rate. When all Americans are affected uniformly and no large voting block can be designated to be benefiary of government policy while others are excluded, immediately our elected leaders become uniformly responsive to the will of all of the people. When govenrment is unable to favor one person over another, you remove most incentives for pandering and a good deal of opportunity for gross corruption.

Uniformity as Ican has been attempting to express it, and which I extrapolate to all decisions of government, is the best means of preserving all our freedoms and our Republic.

Consider what some of the great minds from history have always known:

Quote:
The natural effort of every individual to better his own condition is so powerful that it is alone, and without any assistance, not only capable of carrying on the society to wealth and prosperity, but of surmounting a hundred impertinent obstructions with which the folly of human laws too often encumbers its operations. -- Adam Smith

Quote:
What is wrong with our age is precisely the widespread ignorance of the role which these policies of economic freedom played in the technological evolution of the last two hundred years. People fell prey to the fallacy that the improvement of the methods of production was contemporaneous with the policy of laissez faire only by accident. -- Ludwig von Mises, Human Action

Quote:
Property must be secured or liberty cannot exist. -- John Adams

Quote:
It is impossible to introduce into society a greater change and a greater evil than this: the conversion of the law into an instrument of plunder. -- Frederic Bastiat

And all is summed up here:

Quote:
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot help small men by tearing down big men. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot lift the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor man by destroying the rich. You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred. You cannot establish security on borrowed money. You cannot build character and courage by taking away men's initiative and independence. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves. -- William Boetcker

and finally here:

Quote:
When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. -- Benjamin Franklin

This is superb research and and a superb explanation, by you foxfyre!

Laws that discriminate on the basis of wealth are no less illegal than laws that discrimate on the basis of race, gender, or ethnicity. The sooner USA income tax laws that discriminate against the wealthier are declared unconstitutional, the better it will be for our country.

By the way, folks, lest we forget Exodus, Chapter 20, we have also had for quite a few years another authoritative statement on this subject:
Quote:

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house; thou shall not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his man servant, nor his maid-servant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that is thy neighbour's.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 07:00 pm
Thanks Ican. I wish I could take credit for the research but these are quotes I've had on hand for awhile and they were put together by others. I will take credit for my interpretation of them though. Smile

The truth inherent in each one of those quotes would make a great thread all by itself, but they all illustrate a pillar of modern Conservatism.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 07:17 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

The truth inherent in each one of those quotes would make a great thread all by itself, but they all illustrate a pillar of modern Conservatism.

Yes, they sure do! More importantly, together the truth inherent in each one of those quotes constitute a major part of the foundation of real economic truth.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 10:01 pm
ican711nm wrote:
This is superb research and and a superb explanation, by you foxfyre!

Laws that discriminate on the basis of wealth are no less illegal than laws that discrimate on the basis of race, gender, or ethnicity. The sooner USA income tax laws that discriminate against the wealthier are declared unconstitutional, the better it will be for our country.

By the way, folks, lest we forget Exodus, Chapter 20, we have also had for quite a few years another authoritative statement on this subject:
Quote:

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house; thou shall not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his man servant, nor his maid-servant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that is thy neighbour's.

Fine post, ican. Trouble nowadays, is as Foxfyre has pointed out, the covetous have the numbers, they can vote for confiscation of wealth or property so that it can be given to them. To each according to his need, .........
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 12:42 pm
Quote:

Appeals court tosses FCC's Super Bowl 'wardrobe malfunction' fine against
CBS

By Joann Loviglio, The Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA - A U.S. federal appeals court threw out a $550,000 indecency fine against CBS Corp., on Monday for the 2004 Super Bowl halftime show that ended with Janet Jackson's breast-baring "wardrobe malfunction."

The three-judge panel of the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the Federal Communications Commission "acted arbitrarily and capriciously" in issuing the fine for the fleeting image of nudity.

The 90 million people watching the Super Bowl, many of them children, heard Justin Timberlake sing, "Gonna have you naked by the end of this song," as he reached for Jackson's bustier.

The court found that the FCC deviated from its nearly 30-year practice of fining indecent broadcast programming only when it was so "pervasive as to amount to 'shock treatment' for the audience."

"Like any agency, the FCC may change its policies without judicial second-guessing," the court said.

"But it cannot change a well-established course of action without supplying notice of and a reasoned explanation for its policy departure."

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080721/entertainment/cbs_janet_jackson

The idiocy that is conservatism. They get all riled up over a breast but don't at all mind the deaths of half a million Iraqi kids or 100,000 innocent Iraqis.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 12:44 pm
JTT wrote:
Quote:

Appeals court tosses FCC's Super Bowl 'wardrobe malfunction' fine against
CBS

By Joann Loviglio, The Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA - A U.S. federal appeals court threw out a $550,000 indecency fine against CBS Corp., on Monday for the 2004 Super Bowl halftime show that ended with Janet Jackson's breast-baring "wardrobe malfunction."

The three-judge panel of the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the Federal Communications Commission "acted arbitrarily and capriciously" in issuing the fine for the fleeting image of nudity.

The 90 million people watching the Super Bowl, many of them children, heard Justin Timberlake sing, "Gonna have you naked by the end of this song," as he reached for Jackson's bustier.

The court found that the FCC deviated from its nearly 30-year practice of fining indecent broadcast programming only when it was so "pervasive as to amount to 'shock treatment' for the audience."

"Like any agency, the FCC may change its policies without judicial second-guessing," the court said.

"But it cannot change a well-established course of action without supplying notice of and a reasoned explanation for its policy departure."

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080721/entertainment/cbs_janet_jackson

The idiocy that is conservatism. They get all riled up over a breast but don't at all mind the deaths of half a million Iraqi kids or 100,000 innocent Iraqis.

I dont know any conservative that cared one way or another about Janet and her "wardrobe malfunction".
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 12:58 pm
Frankly, I didn't watch the sideshow, and don't care.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 01:02 pm
I was flipping through the channels Sunday and on CKWS, a Canadian channel, they were showing some movie based in the 19th century that had 3 guys skinny dipping, that were caught by a young woman and an elder couple. All 3 were running around with full frontal nudity and it was amusing to watch.

The only thing I thought about was that I hope the idiots didn't see this. I continued flipping.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 01:11 pm
I do think common decency and deportment reflecting the values of the community are among Conservative principles. I also believe that imposition of polticial correctness and overreacting to an inadvertent phrase or word or inappropriate humor or whatever are not Conservative principles or traits. Conservatives don't demand somebody lose their position or livelihood or be excessively punished for praising a former segregationist on his 90th birthday or for quipping, in jest, 'nappy headed ho's'.

I think Conservatives were smart to enough to know that Janet's wardrobe malfunction was no accident--especially since she had made a point of attaching a decorative pastie to her nipple that night--and I think most Conservatives do not condone indecent exposure. Did that event constitute indecent exposure? No. It was in dreadful poor taste and that plus Timberlake's lyrics were inappropriate for a family audience and censure for that was certainly appropriate to discourage escalation of that kind of thing. But making a big deal out of that all this long time later? No. I think some big time lawyers must be pushing that trying to make big time bucks.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 01:14 pm
I think what we see on cable these days is a matter of choice. We all have an on and off button on our sets and ability to block whatever we consider inappropriate or objectionable. And all of our tastes vary widely in what appropriate and/or objectionable might be.

But its a little different when you have a family audience who has every right to expect family friendly content in the featured entertainment. I don't want full frontal nudity when I take my granddaughters or other young children to see the latest Walt Disney feature.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 01:14 pm
I'm sure you bunch aren't suggesting that it was America's Liberal community who raised a stink about it?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 01:20 pm
I think it was not conservatives who have attempted to capitalize on it or who demanded that head roll. I think it was parents in general, regardless of ideology, who initially protested it.

I mean when I'm sitting there with my grandchild or other young kids watching the Superbowl, I don't want to have to explain why Justin Timberlake is singing about stripping her naked before this night is through and then ripping the fabric off her bare breast.
0 Replies