AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

ican711nm

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 12:13 pm
WHAT SHOULD BE DONE TO END AMERICA'S CURRENT FINANCIAL COLLAPSE?

THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT MUST FIRST:

1. Replace all current taxes on personal incomes, business incomes and inheritance incomes with a flat tax--a "uniform" tax--on all personal gross incomes.

2. Set the tax rate of that flat tax at 10%.

3. Apply the Constitution's Article I. Section 8. the way it was originally written and the way Madison in Federalist No. 36, 41, and 45 described it.

4. Stop stealing from the people and organizations that lawfully earn their money, and stop giving that money to those people and organiizations that do not earn it.

5. Hold all our elected and appointed federal employees accountable to the Constitution's Article VI for honoring their oaths to support the Constitution.

6. Remove from office all those elected and appointed federal employees that have violated and do violate their oaths to support the Constitution.

7. Permit drilling for oil within 3 square miles of ANWR's 30,000 square miles.

8. Permit drilling for oil within other Federal lands and in off-shore areas where it is currently prohibited.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 12:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I'm so happy to see that you're finally coming around, Cyclop. It is indeed not the responsibility of you or any other person or the nation (i.e. government) to make me or anybody else prosperous. If we can convince others of that simple truth, we won't need nearly so much of the nation's wealth confiscated in taxes, we can stop this insane notion of transferring or 'spreading' the wealth, and the government will no longer have the power to reorder our lives beyond its specific constitutionally stated authority.

Welcome to the world of MACdom.
Thomas

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 12:22 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:
By the way, I am still waiting for you to educate us all on how Obama is going to wean us off of oil cartel oil in 10 years, with wind and solar.

He won't. Nobody will. Energy independence for America is a fantasy. Should Obama take any initiative to achieve it -- goodness forbid! -- I hope it quietly dies in some anonymous sub-committee.
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 12:27 pm
@Thomas,
I don't agree that energy independence for America is a fantasy, but I do agree that we won't achieve it through wind and solar though both of those energy sources do have limited practical application. Far better to allow the private sector to develop those applications, however, because government involvement will almost certainly double or triple their cost making them far less practical.

Meanwhile we need to rethink the dismantling of our hydroelectric power sources and we definitely need to look to nuclear as a primary energy source that would reduce our dependence on foreign oil and give us a fighting chance to become energy indepedent there too.

Its all in who we think is most effective and efficient in getting all that done and while government policy and regulation plays an important part, the private sector is where it is most likely to happen.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 12:36 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

I'm so happy to see that you're finally coming around, Cyclop. It is indeed not the responsibility of you or any other person or the nation (i.e. government) to make me or anybody else prosperous. If we can convince others of that simple truth, we won't need nearly so much of the nation's wealth confiscated in taxes, we can stop this insane notion of transferring or 'spreading' the wealth, and the government will no longer have the power to reorder our lives beyond its specific constitutionally stated authority.

Welcome to the world of MACdom.

What I am has nothing to do with your 'MAC' principles, Fox, and don't ever think it does.

What you call 'spreading the wealth around' is what most people call 'keeping folks from starving to death/living on the street/causing massive social unrest.' You begrudge the monies which are given to very poor people to help them survive. I do not.

I want to raise your taxes, and my own, in order to cover further social programs and advancements as a society. I hardly think this makes us similar in any way.

Cycloptichorn
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 12:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Oh well darn. So sorry to hear that. But oh well. Carry on.

However, I don't think Obama had keeping people from starving to death or getting the homeless off the street or preventing massive social unrest (how did THAT get in there?) in mind with his 'spread the wealth' around agenda. He always referred to benefitting the working poor and/or middle class when he expounded on that. He said quite explictly that it didn't matter if his policies wound up costing the U.S. treasury when he socked it to the rich, but rather it was a matter a 'fairness'. That doesn't sound like more money for the poor to me. Does it you? Sounds an awful lot like exploiting class envy though.

But then, if it is not your and the President's responsibility to make ME more prosperous, then what criteria do you use for it being your responsibility or the President's responsibility to make ANYBODY more prosperous? Where do you draw the line?

Is it the government's responsibility to provide you with food?
Is it the government's responsibility to provide you with clothing?
Is it the government's responsibility to provide you with a college education?
Is it the government's responsibility to provide you with a house or place to live?
Is it the government's responsibility to provide you with healthcare?
Is it the government's responsibility to provide you with technological ability (radio, TV, telephone, computer, internet?)
Is it the government's responsibility to provide you with an income?
Is it the government's responsibility to provide you with transportation?
Is the the government's responsibility to provide you with a shave and a haircut and other personal grooming?

Is it my responsibility to provide you with any of that?

If your answer is yes, then shouldn't everybody receive such care and concern? And where does the government get the money to fund all that? If not, then who should? Who decides? Who is the chosen one to be the beneficiary and who designates that another works to provide the benefits?

Are you content to continue to work to support me if I decide its just simpler to allow you to do that?

None of this is a simplistic as you seem to wish to express it. The MAC is usually willing to look at these hard questions and think them through. The liberal is too often not willing to do that because it requires an honesty that many liberals do not seem to be willing to even consider, much less embrace.

But again, oh well.
ican711nm

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 01:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
What you call 'spreading the wealth around' is what most people call 'keeping folks from starving to death/living on the street/causing massive social unrest.' You begrudge the monies which are given to very poor people to help them survive. I do not.

I want to raise your taxes, and my own, in order to cover further social programs and advancements as a society. I hardly think this makes us similar in any way.

You do not have to raise taxes to keep any Americans from "starving to death/living on the street/causing massive social unrest." First of all, non-government charities like the Salvation Army, Good Will, and CARE (a domestic and foreign charity) do a good job keeping Americans from "starving to death/living on the street/causing massive social unrest."

Second of all, even if the government took over these private charity tasks, the total expenditures would not need to exceed a billion dollars. But the Obama government is giving away far more than a billion dollars. In fact, Obama has promised to give away more than a trillion dollars. That trillion plus isn't going to be used to keep Americans from "starving to death/living on the street/causing massive social unrest." It's being used to enable millions of Americans to continue and to start living in houses they cannot afford rather than in apartments they can afford. That's not covering "further social programs and advancements as a society."That's a drag and cause of recession/depression of our society.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 01:11 pm
@Foxfyre,
The government does all of those things. Surprise!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 01:18 pm
@Foxfyre,
The government does all of those things. Surprise!

Food stamps.

Some government agencies funded by the feds does exactly that.

Most students who go to college are subsidized by the government. The government also provides student loans.

Is it the government's responsibility to provide you with a house or place to live?
Many do live in government subsidized housing all over the US.

Some states already provides universal health care; some for children only, and some for all people.

Is it the government's responsibility to provide you with technological ability (radio, TV, telephone, computer, internet?)
Our city is one example that provides free wireless networks - paid for by our government.

My wife and I both receive social security checks every month.

Many places around the country provides free transportation for seniors and the handicapped.

Is the the government's responsibility to provide you with a shave and a haircut and other personal grooming?
Well, we can include almost anything with the monthly check that the government gives us - including a shave and a haircut.

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 01:25 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:

Only if I am starving to death. And the food doesn't have to be good or even enjoyable; just enough to keep me from breaking the law to acquire my own food.

Quote:

See above.

Quote:

No, though it is in their best interests to provide higher education to everyone.

Quote:

Nope.
Quote:

I believe it's their responsibility to provide basic healthcare, yes.

Quote:

Nope.
Quote:

Is it my responsibility to provide you with any of that?

No, it is the government's responsibility to provide some of that, not yours personally. You are not the government, you are a taxpayer.

Quote:
If your answer is yes, then shouldn't everybody receive such care and concern?

Sure. If you are poor and starving, I support providing you with what you need to not starve. If you wish an education, I support providing you with one. If you need basic healthcare, I support giving it to you.
Quote:

And where does the government get the money to fund all that?

From you and I and other taxpayers.

Quote:
If not, then who should? Who decides? Who is the chosen one to be the beneficiary and who designates that another works to provide the benefits?

You don't seem to understand that most of these government benefits go to those who are desperately poor. You wouldn't want to be in their shoes, even if it means certain things are free from the government. It would be decidedly unpleasant.

Quote:

Are you content to continue to work to support me if I decide its just simpler to allow you to do that?

Yes, I am. But I guarantee you won't enjoy it.

Quote:
The MAC is usually willing to look at these hard questions and think them through. The liberal is too often not willing to do that because it requires an honesty that many liberals do not seem to be willing to even consider, much less embrace.

Horseshit, this.

Cycloptichorn
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 01:41 pm
And the insanity continues. Not only did Chris Dodd--yes the same Chris Dodd who so passionately defended Fannie and Freddie before they blew up as well as receving lucrative campaign donations from them--actually wrote the amendment for the stimulus package that insured that those AIG executives would get their multi-million dollar bonuses.

And now with all the anger--would that be the social unrest Cyclop was talking about?...nah--anyhow with all the anger expressed about those AIG bonuses, Dodd is now proposing that the government tax the AIG bonus recipients to recoup some of those millions.

I'm sure they will come up with some kind of creative constitutional loophole that would allow them to do that no matter how dangerous a precedent THAT would set.

It's getting screwier and screwier folks.

Quote:

Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Amid AIG Furor, Dodd Tries to Undo Bonus Protections He Put In
Rich Edson
FOXBusiness

Senator Chris Dodd (D-Conn.) on Monday night floated the idea of taxing American International Group (AIG: 0.9345, 0.1544, 19.79%) bonus recipients so the government could recoup some or all of the $450 million the company is paying to employees in its financial products unit. Within hours, the idea spread to both houses of Congress, with lawmakers proposing an AIG bonus tax.

The move represents somewhat of an about-face for the Senator.

While the Senate was constructing the $787 billion stimulus last month, Dodd added an executive-compensation restriction to the bill. That amendment provides an “exception for contractually obligated bonuses agreed on before Feb. 11, 2009” -- which exempts the very AIG bonuses Dodd and others are now seeking to tax.

The amendment made it into the final version of the bill, and is law.

Separately, Sen. Dodd was AIG’s largest single recipient of campaign donations during the 2008 election cycle with $103,100, according to opensecrets.org.

Dodd’s office did not immediately return a request for comment.

One of AIG Financial Products’ largest offices is based in Connecticut.

Dodd Amendment Rules

Crack down on bonuses, retention awards and incentive compensation: Bonuses can only be paid in the form of long-term restricted stock, equal to no greater than 1/3 of total annual compensation, and will vest only when taxpayer funds are repaid. There is an exception for contractually obligated bonuses agreed on before Feb. 11, 2009.

For institutions that received assistance totaling less than $25 million, the bonus restriction applies to the highest compensated employee; $25 million to $250 million, applies to the top five employees; $250 million to $500 million, applies to the senior executive officers and the next top 10 employees; and more than $500 million applies to the senior executive officers and the next top 20 employees (or such higher number as the Secretary determines is in the public interest).
http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/finance/dodd-cracks-aig---time/

This is what social unrest looks like (from the tea parties last weekend):

http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/cincyrwnj3.jpg

http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/cincyrwnj.jpg

http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/cincyrwnj2.jpg

http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/11.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 01:43 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote from Foxie:

Quote:
The MAC is usually willing to look at these hard questions and think them through. The liberal is too often not willing to do that because it requires an honesty that many liberals do not seem to be willing to even consider, much less embrace.

Cyclo responded with:
Quote:
Horseshit, this.

Hey, Foxy, can you tell us how many of those MACs look at these hard questions and think them through? 10%? Also, are the recipients of these government goodies MACs? 50% or more? LOL
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 01:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
So how do you choose one necessity of life over another as something that it is mandatory to provide another person? Everything on the list could be a necessity in order for somebody to be able to provide for himself and/or his family. But if you say he has to provide his own shave and haircut and his own car, etc., why not his own healthcare if he is able to afford that? How do you intelligently draw the line between what is a necessity and what is not on that list? And how do you determine who gets to receive the freebies and who must be the provider in any kind of fair manner?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 01:51 pm
@Foxfyre,
It's because of a very simple reason; we are in some ways our brother's keeper. When many were able and had jobs and a home, they were the ones who gave to charity for those who had less. Now, many of those people who used to donate have become in need.

Outside of MACs, it's called compassion for our fellow man.
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 02:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
MACs and/or conservatives in general are by far the most compassionate and generous of all Americans and probably at or near the top of generous people of the world. It is mostly they who run the Salvation Armies around the country, man the thrift shops, run the food banks, fund and staff the Catholic charities, found and staff leper colonies, operate clean, safe, and loving orphanages, operate private homeless shelters and soup lines, go into the poorest of the poor neighborhoods in America, not to stir up political unrest and activism but to relieve suffering, who go into poorest of the poor nations and often put their lives on the line to help the poorest of the world's poor.

And conservatives give of their own time, talent, and personal wealth more than other groups too:

Quote:
Sixteen months ago, Arthur C. Brooks, a professor at Syracuse University, published "Who Really Cares: The Surprising Truth About Compassionate Conservatism." The surprise is that liberals are markedly less charitable than conservatives.

If many conservatives are liberals who have been mugged by reality, Brooks, a registered independent, is, as a reviewer of his book said, a social scientist who has been mugged by data. They include these findings:

-- Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).

-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.

-- Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.

-- Bush carried 24 of the 25 states where charitable giving was above average.

-- In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/03/conservatives_more_liberal_giv.html

So those liberals who point fingers at the greedy and selfish conservatives should note that three fingers are pointing back at themselves. It's just that conservatives believe in being compassionate voluntarily with their own money.

Liberals seem to believe compassion is defined by government forcing somebody else to give money.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 02:22 pm
@Foxfyre,
Who's hand are you talking about? I do not need to use my finger to point.
However, you MACs are good at trying to push guilt onto others; not only by your rhetoric, but by not showing much compassion for those who are having some bad luck.

As for "compassionate conservatism," it's an oxymoron; MACs preach self-sufficiency as if that's the ultimate truth. Where are all those MACs who have lost their jobs and homes hiding?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 02:23 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

MACs and/or conservatives in general are by far the most compassionate and generous of all Americans and probably at or near the top of generous people of the world. It is mostly they who run the Salvation Armies around the country, man the thrift shops, run the food banks, fund and staff the Catholic charities, found and staff leper colonies, operate clean, safe, and loving orphanages, operate private homeless shelters and soup lines, go into the poorest of the poor neighborhoods in America, not to stir up political unrest and activism but to relieve suffering, who go into poorest of the poor nations and often put their lives on the line to help the poorest of the world's poor.

Not that I have doubts about claim (you certainly could back it with multiple sources), but what astonishes me that a political orientation is so strongly and closely connected to "welfare".

Here, you really don't know the political connection of a welfare charity - besides that some from the managements are in town/county councils and/or committees. But that alone doesn't give any clue who's giving the money ...
McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 02:25 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

Not that I have doubts about claim (you certainly could back it with multiple sources), but what astonishes me that a political orientation is so strongly and closely connected to "welfare".

Here, you really don't know the political connection of a welfare charity - besides that some from the managements are in town/county councils and/or committees. But that alone doesn't give any clue who's giving the money ...

Probably a good thing that Fox was talking about here and not there then.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 02:28 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Nothing wrong with your observation, Walter. Welfare by government or private charities all go for the same purpose; some are necessary to feed and shelter people who are in need from no fault of their own.

Foxie is trying to convince us that MACs are the most charitable, but that's in total conflict with what they have done both politically and on a2k rhetoric.

0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 02:31 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I think MACs define 'welfare' as government entitlement and as such is a bad idea because 2/3rds of the money gets swallowed up by bureaucracy which makes it the most inefficient way to dispense necessary services to those in need. And there is too much opportunity for exploitation of that by the undeserving, i.e. those who could and would support themselves if they had to, and a HUGE incentive for elected politicians to use such a program to curry favor from targeted constituencies and essentially use the people's money to buy votes and power and fortunes for themselves.

I think most MACs, even the non-religious or Atheist ones, do have a sense of the Biblical command to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, heal the sick, visit those in prison etc. (I left off the prison ministries on that other list--another great mostly conservative initiative all over the country.) We don't look at these things as 'welfare' but rather as a hand up for those who need only that or a deep sense that a moral society takes care of the truly helpless.

MACs believe such is much better managed and far more effective when administered by the private sector or in cooperation with local governments than it is managed by the federal government.

0 Replies