AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 02:06 pm
revel wrote:
What is wrecking the economy is the policies which have been put in place by Bush backed up by a republican/democratic congress which has been very conservative in that it stripped all government programs of funds by the tax cuts and then spent too much money on the Iraq war which again has been run on credit have to pay for in interest. Moreover; the oil companies and other big countries have had huge tax credits while we have had to pay higher and higher energy prices and higher prices for goods that are lower in quality to boot. Also every time the economy got in trouble; the fed kept lowering the interest rates which encouraged borrowing and it is now coming home to slap us in the face.

Good grief where do you get this stuff? It is true that President Bush has submitted budgets that eliminated dozens of government programs that are doing/accomplishing absolutely zilch but still get funded every year to do nothing. It is true that he has submitted budgets that include less INCREASE in funding for other programs than what the advocacy groups for those programs wanted. One example: Bush has been accused of cutting Veteran benefits every year he has been in office when in fact Veteran benefits have increased hugely every year he has been in office when compared to the Clinton administration. The same can be said for education and all other social services. But you can show the real skinny to the numbnuts again and again and they'll still be parroting the script of Bush hurting the poor, hurting women, hurting veterans, hurting kids. And it's all a pure lie.

Of course the President can only propose budgets; the Congress has the responsibility for passing them. Any Bush budget is pretty well declared dead on arrival in the Pelosi House so if the budget isn't to your liking, you have only the Democrats to blame now.

From the Cato Institute who keeps pretty close tabs on budget trends:

http://www.cato.org/research/fiscal_policy/bush/images/fig4-562x330.gif

I think most conservatives would like to see a whole lot of federal spending be eliminated with responsibility reverting to the states and the private sector. Huge one-size-fits-all federal programs are almost always going to include more waste than services no matter which party is in control.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 03:51 pm
Listen foxfrye; you exspouse your views from a conservative viewpoint and I will exspouse my views from a liberal viewpoint.

For instance it is true that Bush has increased VET benefits but his increases have not kept up with expenses which have sky rose since the wars.

Also; I differ on what you considered wasted programs in government.

http://www.warresisters.org/pages/images/FY09_deception.gif

Quote:
These figures are from an analysis of detailed tables in the "Analytical Perspectives" book of the Budget of the United States Government, Fiscal Year 2009. The figures are federal funds, which do not include trust funds - such as Social Security �- that are raised and spent separately from income taxes. What you pay (or don't pay) by April 15, 2008, goes to the federal funds portion of the budget. The government practice of combining trust and federal funds began during the Vietnam War, thus making the human needs portion of the budget seem larger and the military portion smaller.

*Analysts differ on how much of the debt stems from the military; other groups estimate 50% to 60%. We use 80% because we believe if there had been no military spending most (if not all) of the national debt would have been eliminated.

http://www.warresisters.org/pages/piechart.htm

I don't agree we need to eliminate military spending; but I don't think we should spending billions dollars for a war of choice (Iraq) which would have better been spent at home; which for me is the bottom line regardless of charts and analysts.

Local Cost of the Iraq War, Through FY2007

As for energy and products going higher; it is not pulled out of thin air but rather backed up by facts.

Energy, food push January's PPI 1% higher
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 04:48 pm
Revel, please tell me how much veteran expenses have gone up in relation to the amount the budget for veterans affairs has gone up. Please give me links to those specific cuts in any active social programs anywhere that were not offset by increases somewhere else in the same program. You are the one suggesting Bush has shortchanged this or that. Show me where he has.

Posting pie charts of large general areas of where the budget is spent is worthless in evaluating where the money SHOULD be spent. This is more particularly true when the supporting stuff is from a dedicated anti-war, site.

And again, it is NOT the President who passes the budget. It is Congress with that responsibility and currently that Congress is in the hands of the Democrats. Please show me where they have raised the budget adequately where you think it should be raised and how the President didn't allow them to do that.

And please show me how the treasury revenues have suffered in any respect caused by the tax cuts implemented during Bush's term of office.

And then show me how the President went to war without the consent of Congress and where he has funded anything on the war that has not been authorized by Congress.

And then maybe, just maybe, when you find you are unable to do any of these things, you will maybe see the Conservative point of view that blame should be focused where it belongs instead of using partisan talking points to bash the President just because you don't like him or accusing the President of all manner of absurd accusations that simply don't hold up under any kind of honest scrutiny.

There are plenty of "crimes" for which the President should be figuratively hung. So far you have failed to name a single one of them but presume to hang him for all manner of crimes he simply has not committed.

I am not saying that the prosecution of the war has not been expensive or there wouldn't be more pleasant ways to spend that money. But the answer sure isn't what most liberals seem to think we should do about it now.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 05:53 pm
Speaking of our friends from the Middle East and similar places, this is an amusing but nevertheless thought provoking commentary on a particular perspective of a Brit dealing with that in the UK. Warning: it is politically incorrect and will probably be subject to criticism by some of our members. I wonder if it will hit a responsive chord with our conservatives? (Note to Ash: it has captions.)

http://www.dotsub.com/films/moredemands/index.php?autostart=true&language_setting=en_1618

Be sure to have your speakers turned up.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 06:13 pm
I appreciate having a film clip with subtitles. The commentator may have oversimplified and made unwarranted generalizations about British Muslims, but he's entitled to his opinion. On the other hand, I don't think he overstepped the bounds of propriety, nor was as objectionable as those radical Muslims who demand that our culture be transformed to accommodate their own peculiar customs. Threats and demands by radical Muslims certainly at times appears to represent the Islamic mainstream. If the more moderate Muslims aren't willing to protest their radicals, they empower them. Oh, oh, oh looky, looky a conservative using a Left wing term like empowerment. Wonders that may fortell the End of Time. Oh well...

The bit I liked best was, "my freedom is more important to me than their religion."
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 08:04 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Revel, please tell me how much veteran expenses have gone up in relation to the amount the budget for veterans affairs has gone up. Please give me links to those specific cuts in any active social programs anywhere that were not offset by increases somewhere else in the same program. You are the one suggesting Bush has shortchanged this or that. Show me where he has.

I have not said there were cuts what I said was benefits have not kept up with rising cost for veterans since the wars.

Battling for a Diploma

Mikulski Fights to Improve Veterans' Burial Benefits

RANDY L. PLEVA, SR., NATIONAL PRESIDENT, PARALYZED VETERANS OF AMERICA

Quote:
For FY 2008, the Administration has requested $34.2 billion for veterans' health care, a $1.9 billion increase over the levels established in H.J. Res. 20, the continuing resolution for FY 2007. Although we recognize this as another step forward, it still falls well short of the recommendations of The Independent Budget. For FY 2008, The Independent Budget recommends approximately $36.3 billion, an increase of $4.0 billion over the FY 2007 appropriation level and approximately $2.1 billion over the Administration's request.

Although not proposed to have a direct impact on veterans' health-care funding, we are deeply disappointed that the Administration chose to once again recommend an increase in prescription drug copayments from $8 to $15 and an indexed enrollment fee based on veterans' incomes. These proposals will simply add additional financial strain to many veterans, including PVA members and other veterans with catastrophic disabilities. Although the VA does not overtly explain the impact of these proposals, similar proposals in the past have estimated that nearly 200,000 veterans will leave the system and more than 1 million veterans will choose not to enroll. It is astounding that this Administration would continue to recommend policies that would push veterans away from the best health-care system in America.

Posting pie charts of large general areas of where the budget is spent is worthless in evaluating where the money SHOULD be spent. This is more particularly true when the supporting stuff is from a dedicated anti-war, site.

I will leave the pie charts aside because frankly it is beyond me. My main point was that any money spent on Iraq was money better spent at home because we no business being there even if congress did give consent to it; they were acting like republican lights at the time.

And again, it is NOT the President who passes the budget. It is Congress with that responsibility and currently that Congress is in the hands of the Democrats. Please show me where they have raised the budget adequately where you think it should be raised and how the President didn't allow them to do that.

Again I think democrats in congress was too conservative and I think I am seeing a change in that among democrats which I view as positive.

Veterans

And please show me how the treasury revenues have suffered in any respect caused by the tax cuts implemented during Bush's term of office.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/28/politics/washingtonpost/main3978743.shtml?source=RSSattr=Politics_3978743

Quote:

Why would tax cuts hurt the economy? Because their one very clear effect was to increase the budget deficit. Combined with spending on the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and a huge new prescription drug benefit for Medicare recipients, the cuts helped drive the annual deficit to a peak of nearly $413 billion in 2004. Last year, it dwindled to $162 billion. But the nation's cumulative debt has nearly doubled since Bush took office and now exceeds $9 trillion.

"If tax cuts aren't paid for, the extra debt hurts the economy more than any direct benefit from the tax cuts," said Jason Furman, a former adviser to President Bill Clinton who is now at the Brookings Institution. "If you cut taxes without cutting spending, you're just shifting taxes to the future."

There is little disagreement among most economists on that point. Even the Bush Treasury Department found that failing to cut government spending commensurate with the tax cuts would leave the cuts with a "negligible effect" on the economy, Carroll said.

Because the tax cuts were projected to yield giant budget deficits, they were written to expire in 2010. Bush and other Republicans, including McCain, want to make them permanent, arguing that the specter of higher taxes in 2011 is adding uncertainty to and weakening today's economy. That move that would deprive the treasury of $2.4 trillion over the next 10 years, according to the Joint Committee on Taxation.

And then show me how the President went to war without the consent of Congress and where he has funded anything on the war that has not been authorized by Congress.

I don't care if president with the consent of congress or not; they were all wrong and I left countless of links which prove the president at least should have known better not too long ago to you as a matter of fact on the Israel thread. So it is a war of choice with funds better spent at home.

Again I hoping for a change in direction with a leader in office capable of leading our country in the right direction.

And then maybe, just maybe, when you find you are unable to do any of these things, you will maybe see the Conservative point of view that blame should be focused where it belongs instead of using partisan talking points to bash the President just because you don't like him or accusing the President of all manner of absurd accusations that simply don't hold up under any kind of honest scrutiny.

There are plenty of "crimes" for which the President should be figuratively hung. So far you have failed to name a single one of them but presume to hang him for all manner of crimes he simply has not committed.

I have named countless crimes (or at least wrong headed actions) on the president having mainly to do with the lead up to the Iraq war and his ignoring intelligence which didn't fit his agenda; his unwarrented use of wiretapping, torture.. I can go on and I have left countless links on several threads. I am not going through it all again as I feel comfortable in that I have proved my case against this administration which does not excuse the democrats in congress at the time who bought all the bull crap in aftermath of 9/11. Whether you think i have is another story.

I am not saying that the prosecution of the war has not been expensive or there wouldn't be more pleasant ways to spend that money. But the answer sure isn't what most liberals seem to think we should do about it now.

The war in Iraq should not have launched and the money should have spent at home which I have already talked about. The question now is what do we do about it and I think the answer is to gradually but sooner rather than way later bring our troops home having no permanent bases in a country which does not want us in the long term of which polls of Iraqis have shown and I have left those polls on other threads. And start spending some of that money we poring over there in our own country while still helping Iraqis with money with some reconstruction (not no contract things) at the same time like we do in other countries now.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 09:18 pm
Revel if you want to fight the Iraq war all over again, there is a thread devoted specifically to that and any number of "Bush lied - people died" and other threads of that ilk. Please forgive me, but I don't want to turn this thread into that. You have chosen to not answer my specific questions but rather are still spewing the same old tired anti-Bush propaganda. I'm pretty sure that everybody who requests money from the government feels they didn't get all they deserve or need and everybody who wants money from the government thinks their cause is more deserving than any other, so a quote from somebody who is 'deeply disappointed' that their increase in funding 'wasn't enough' provides no substance of fact whatsoever.

The hypocrisy comes in when some call 'not increasing funding as much as was requested' a 'cut' and/or those who complain about government spending out of one side of their mouth and then accuse the government of 'not spending enough' out of the other.

I'm not targeting you specifically here, but refusal to acknowledge how the money actually gets allocated and apportioned just so they can take punches at the President is just plain ignorance or hateful partisanship.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 09:19 pm
Asherman wrote:
I appreciate having a film clip with subtitles. The commentator may have oversimplified and made unwarranted generalizations about British Muslims, but he's entitled to his opinion. On the other hand, I don't think he overstepped the bounds of propriety, nor was as objectionable as those radical Muslims who demand that our culture be transformed to accommodate their own peculiar customs. Threats and demands by radical Muslims certainly at times appears to represent the Islamic mainstream. If the more moderate Muslims aren't willing to protest their radicals, they empower them. Oh, oh, oh looky, looky a conservative using a Left wing term like empowerment. Wonders that may fortell the End of Time. Oh well...

The bit I liked best was, "my freedom is more important to me than their religion."

I liked that line too.

(Oh and to Revel, the truth of those tax cuts is that they produced an unprecedented cash flow into the U.S. Treasury. The idea that there would have been more money in the treasury without them assumes that people would not have behaved and handled money differently if taxes were higher. The only ones who still resent the tax cuts are those who think the rich, who pay the huge lion's share of all taxes, benefitted in any way from the tax structure. And that is pure ugly old class envy and has nothing to do with treasury revenues.)
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 10:09 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

(Oh and to Revel, the truth of those tax cuts is that they produced an unprecedented cash flow into the U.S. Treasury.

In inflation adjusted dollars? You need to post an attribution for that.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 11:30 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

(Oh and to Revel, the truth of those tax cuts is that they produced an unprecedented cash flow into the U.S. Treasury.

In inflation adjusted dollars? You need to post an attribution for that.

Here ya go Roxx:
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YzRlYWM0ZjE1MjlkYTExYmQ2MDMxYzEwOTQ1MGEyYzQ=
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 01:11 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Speaking of our friends from the Middle East and similar places, this is an amusing but nevertheless thought provoking commentary on a particular perspective of a Brit dealing with that in the UK. Warning: it is politically incorrect and will probably be subject to criticism by some of our members. I wonder if it will hit a responsive chord with our conservatives? (Note to Ash: it has captions.)

http://www.dotsub.com/films/moredemands/index.php?autostart=true&language_setting=en_1618

Many thoughts on the vid.

1) I recognize it as the view of an individual and not the view of any particular worldview.

2) While he appropriately makes a distinction between Muslims and Islamofacists, he flirts with lumping up all of Islam in many genral statements.

In general, I don't disagree with a lot of what he said. There were definately times when I felt he mixed some issues which are unrelated. He then took it a step further drawing some conclusions after that. Some conclusions which I wouldn't make.

Also, on the subject of "political correctness," I have yet to hear a single liberal here invoke a PC rationale in any argument. I have seen plenty of conservatives complain about political correctness. It seems this idea is only still alive on the right, not the left.

T
K
O
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 06:42 am
Quote:
'Allying with Christian Zionists is bad for Israel'

By Shmuel Rosner

Rabbi Yoffie slams rejection of 2-state solution, blasts evangelical leader Hagee over attacking other faiths.

NEW YORK - "No, we cannot." We cannot cooperate with the Christian Zionists, Rabbi Eric H. Yoffie, President of the Union for Reform Judaism, told the annual conference of the movement's rabbis and cantors Wednesday night in Cincinnati, Ohio, according to copies of the speech distributed ahead of time to the press.

Not an easy thing to say, considering their powerful numbers and the depth of the Evangelicals' support for Israel. But Yoffie thinks it is important - not because of their stance on abortion, their policies against homosexuals or the fact they do not respect members of other religions.

These elements certainly add to the argument, particularly the last factor, but they are not the main reasons. "What they mean by support of Israel and what we mean by support of Israel are two very different things," Yoffie says, highlighting the real reason.
Advertisement

No one familiar with Yoffie's record and his positions on Israel would question his commitment to the state. He is one of the main proponents within the URJ for tightening the movement's bond with Israel, a bond that has not always been self-evident. This gives Yoffie's declaration special importance.

This isn't the first time the issue has come up among American Jews, but in the past most of the focus was on domestic issues. To put it simply, the question was: What's more important - fighting the Evangelicals over the image of America, or allying ourselves with them for Israel's sake? Two and a half years ago, Yoffie himself slammed the Evangelicals' attitudes to homosexuality.

In his speech Wednesday night, however, Yoffie declared that an alliance with Christian Zionists must be rejected for the sake of Israel. Christian Zionist support for Israel is harmful, he said. It's not "unconditional support for the Jewish state," but rather support for certain leaders, certain parties, for a political agenda that is unacceptable to Yoffie and, he believes, to a majority of Israelis. The Evangelicals reject a two-state solution and oppose Israeli territorial concessions, and for that reason the Reform Movement cannot cooperate with them.

Yoffie's speech focused on one man: John Hagee, founder of the Christians United for Israel lobby group. That in itself is notable, since Hagee ostensible received the stamp of approval when he was invited to speak to an AIPAC policy conference last year.
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/971196.html
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 07:05 am
Diest TKO wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Many thoughts on the vid.

1) I recognize it as the view of an individual and not the view of any particular worldview.

2) While he appropriately makes a distinction between Muslims and Islamofacists, he flirts with lumping up all of Islam in many genral statements.

In general, I don't disagree with a lot of what he said. There were definately times when I felt he mixed some issues which are unrelated. He then took it a step further drawing some conclusions after that. Some conclusions which I wouldn't make.

Also, on the subject of "political correctness," I have yet to hear a single liberal here invoke a PC rationale in any argument. I have seen plenty of conservatives complain about political correctness. It seems this idea is only still alive on the right, not the left.

T
K
O

Well both you and Ash have commented on over-generalizations in the video. But then the Muslims in the UK are far more visible, prevalent, and assertive than they are here in the USA, so that probably also colors the perception of a Brit who appreciates their uniquely British culture and does not want to see that eroded or destroyed or risk having his personal freedoms jeopardized in any way.

Militant Islam is not big on either human rights or personal freedoms. The Muslims of Britain are actually lobbying and pressuring the government to allow them to install and enforce Sharia Law in their communities--a trend which would certainly spread should the Muslim population continue to grow at the pace that it has been growing. At what point could it be possible that they actually could replace the British culture with theirs? Improbable. Sure. Impossible? Hmmm

A conservative value is the wisdom of preserving those traditions, customs, and values that have served generations well and not willingly allowing them to be diluted or giving them over to those with a far less stellar track record of service to or benefit to humankind.

Where political correctness comes in is in whether we can talk about stuff like this in this way. Liberals don't call it PC--they have a lot of different labels for it. Support protecting our borders and enforcing immigration laws, and you are likely to be accused of prejudice against Mexicans. Support preserving the traditional definition of marriage, and somebody is going to accuse you of being homophobic or anti-gay. Any discussion about whether a woman would normally be as well suited for certain jobs as a man and you're labeled sexist. Disputing whether race relations are as bad as a Jeremiah Wright describes them or even question whether a member of his church might share them, and you're racist. Make a case for a pro-life stance and you 'want to take away the rights of women'. Etc.

Citing the article Blatham posted--he has a burr under his saddle re John Hagee--there is a good case in point. Liberals on one side will claim that casual contact/relationships or even significant relationships with dubious characters don't matter for their people, but the slightest link between somebody on the Republican side is proof of an unforgivable character flaw. So a Robert Byrd, former high ranking member of the KKK, can use the "n" word with impunity now, but a Trent Lott making a warm reference to a colleague on his 90th birthday which, however inadvertent, could be linked to separatism decades before, was forced to resign as Senate majority leader. The Dems wouldn't call that PC either, but don't think for a minute that it wasn't.

I think conservatives think any of these things should be fair game for evaluation and discussion. So the labels liberals use to thwart any comprehensive discussion about them, conservatives generally lump into a general category of 'political correctness'. And they also note the blatant hypocrisy by which it is applied.

Just one of the conservative traits I see. Smile
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 07:37 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Revel if you want to fight the Iraq war all over again, there is a thread devoted specifically to that and any number of "Bush lied - people died" and other threads of that ilk. Please forgive me, but I don't want to turn this thread into that. You have chosen to not answer my specific questions but rather are still spewing the same old tired anti-Bush propaganda. I'm pretty sure that everybody who requests money from the government feels they didn't get all they deserve or need and everybody who wants money from the government thinks their cause is more deserving than any other, so a quote from somebody who is 'deeply disappointed' that their increase in funding 'wasn't enough' provides no substance of fact whatsoever.

The hypocrisy comes in when some call 'not increasing funding as much as was requested' a 'cut' and/or those who complain about government spending out of one side of their mouth and then accuse the government of 'not spending enough' out of the other.

I'm not targeting you specifically here, but refusal to acknowledge how the money actually gets allocated and apportioned just so they can take punches at the President is just plain ignorance or hateful partisanship.

I have never said that there were cuts in VET benefits; what I said was the benefits didn't cover the needs of Vets. In researching this; it is not something of which only the Bush administration is guilty of but also congress (though they are improving since the Walter Reed scandal) and past administrations. With the war on in both Afghanistan and the Iraq war going on so long; it would stand to reason they need all the requested money they can get. If Vets were receiving all the benefits they needed there would be no need for charity benefits for Vets to help meet their everyday needs and health care. A refusal to admit there are unmet needs of the Vets is just typical of you defending anything perceived as a fault on your side even if the truth needs to be sacrificed in doing so.

The Battle on the Home Front

Whether you don't want to get into the justifications of the Iraq is quite irrelevant to the fact that the war has been a contributing factor in the state of our economy.

The following is disputed as some economist say it is a low estimate of the future cost of this war. Nevertheless; it is a bi-partisan report on fiscal year 2008 on the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Estimated cost in Iraq and Afghanistan

Quote:
Most of that amount (more than $9 billion per month) is related to operations inIraq. Of that amount, about 70 percent has been allocated for the war in Iraq, CBO estimates.

[didn't print the charts as they were complicated to print out; can go on the site to see the charts]

My point with all this is that rather than blaming the economy woes on government programs some of which you have admitted have been eliminated and some of which are under funded we should blame a good deal of the share of economic woes on the war in Iraq. It's simple; if we were not there; the money would not be allocated there or spent there or borrowed there.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 07:49 am
Revel I acknowledge your points that you believe Bush sucks, that it is all his fault that programs you support are inadequately funded though you have provided absolutely nothing other than somebody's opinion to prove that, and that it costs a whole big chunk of money to finance a war.

So let's move on from those points.

You favor pulling out of Iraq and Afghanistan and just writing those places off? How about other US military installations around the world that cost a whole bunch of money to maintain too. Just shut them all down and bring all our military home? (You should have been supporting Ron Paul all this time.) Is that what you think our value system should be?

You want to pay more taxes? Why?

How seriously do you think a president should take national defense. How important is allowing our military to actually finish what they started and achieve success as opposed to tucking tail and running.....again? You don't think that is important? Why?

(Anybody else who is nudged by these questions is encouraged to jump in here too.)
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 08:08 am
I advocate pulling out of Iraq as most of the money allocated for the military is being spent there as the bi-partisan chart showed. You said you didn't want to get into the justification of it; so that is all I can say on it without getting into the unjustified reasons for going there or the myth of reasons for staying there. That money can be better spent here at home as most of American agrees. Just look at the polls on the subject; a general poll that cuts across all partisan divides; not an anti-war poll or a Fox news or newsmax poll. I agree with Ron Paul on that issue alone.

As for raising taxes; never said that. What I want is fairer tax that don't just benefit the very rich or the coporations which send their in offshore accounts. (can go and get a lot of information on this if you want; but would rather not as i know you will dismiss it)

I think we should spend money on the military and wars but I don't think we go on war of choices which cost tax payers billions of dollars.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 08:14 am
Revel, you do understand that the money being spent in Iraq won't be available for anything else unless we seriously reduce the armed forces? The soldiers still have to be paid, trained, maintained, etc. The contractors will be coming home and any war industries will need to be shut down so for awhile there is likely to be at least some temporary economic slowdown and higher unemployment compensation to be paid. And since Congress has not reduced spending ANYWHERE but has chosen to finance the war mostly on credit, that money just simply goes away.

How we got into this situation has been thoroughly discussed and is still being discussed on other threads. My interest here is what do we do about the situation that exists now? How we got here is not relevant to what we do about the existing situation.

So, assuming that I am more or less accurate about that, again, please answer whether you think we benefit by admitting defeat, tucking tail, and running in Afghanistan and Iraq. You don't think that al Qaida and other terrorist groups won't see that as a huge victory and incentive to step up their activities?

Please answer my question whether other US military installations should also be dismantled and brought home.

Please answer my question whether you want to pay higher taxes to fund those programs you think are underfunded.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 08:22 am
http://www.buzzflash.com/articles/files/images/bush-kiss.jpg
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 09:01 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Revel, you do understand that the money being spent in Iraq won't be available for anything else unless we seriously reduce the armed forces? The soldiers still have to be paid, trained, maintained, etc. The contractors will be coming home and any war industries will need to be shut down so for awhile there is likely to be higher unemployment compensation to be paid. And since Congress has not reduced spending ANYWHERE but has chosen to finance the war mostly on credit, that money just simply goes away.

So, assuming that I am more or less accurate about that, again, please answer whether you think we benefit by admitting defeat, tucking tail, and running in Afghanistan and Iraq. You don't think that al Qaida and other terrorist groups won't see that as a huge victory and incentive to step up their activities?

Please answer my question whether other US military installations should also be dismantled and brought home.

Please answer my question whether you want to pay higher taxes to fund those programs you think are underfunded.

I don't think you are more or less accurate about anything in your first paragraph.

Of course the military will have to be paid if we left; but that is not where most of the cost is coming from but from the simple cost of operations in Iraq. If you are in a war it is just logical sense to know it is cost more than if you are not in a war even though you still have to pay for a military.

I have left links in the past few days which charts of how much states are already paying for the cost of the war. We have to pay the interest on the money already borrowed plus pay back the money we have already borrowed for years to come. The money borrowed already will not simply disappear if we leave and if we stay we only keep getting more debt for the war.

here it is again

The following is a democrat source; however, it is backed up with sources you can check out. The rest are programs which have been under funded. I don't think we should raise taxes; but simply getting out of Iraq would go a long way in distributing money for other needs in our country and having a fairer tax system which does not just benefit the top 1% of tax payers would also help.

No Child Left Behind Act

Underfunded Foster Care Sparks 'Crisis' in U.S.

New Medicaid Study: Underfunding of Seniors' Long Term Care Spikes 45% From 1999-2007

This last one answers questions about where those contractors in Iraq could find work. In our own infrastructure in the US which badly needs it.

Unstable Bridges, Underfunded Facilities

I did answer your questions about other places we have our troops; it don't come near cost that Iraq does so the question is really just a red herring.

As for as running off before the job is done. Well that can be argued two ways. One argument is that we have already accomplished our mission and now we are just nation building. (Something conservatives used to be against)

Another argument is that no matter when we leave the same argument of cutting and running before the job is done can be used. Do you want to stay there for in large force twenty or thirty years as most predict it will take as least as long as that for things to settled (if ever)enough for Iraqis to be able to defend themselves.

Also it gets much more complicated because who are they defending themselves against but each other? Right now Shiites are fighting Shiites and the only way they had a token cease fire was inside Iran by Iran. (Left links to this on the other thread some time last week) We should let them fight it out and we should take care of our own business at home. The polls in Iraq say 70% of Iraqis want us to leave; they know their situation and still want us to leave. So we would not be abandoning anyone except Maliki who wants the US to fight his opponents to his (and his party's) position as prime minister.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 09:15 am
Mostly nonresponsive to my questions, Revel. But that's okay. I have read your posts repeating the same mantra over and over and over again without ever giving consideration to the other points raised. Your sources are mostly wrong on those funding issues too and/or wrong headed that most of those things should be a federal responsibility at all, but that's something we can discuss as conservative values separately.

I agree that unfunded federal mandates are not a conservative concept. The question I have is how many social programs are appropriate for the federal government to mandate or fund at all?
0 Replies