AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 02:53 pm
BillW wrote:
Didn't Bush hide Haggard under his desk?

The potential for comical follow up to this statement is of the charts...

T
K
Laughing
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 03:32 pm
I did not say that Bush did not know Haggerty nor had never spoken to Haggerty or even did not ask Haggerty for advice. When a good number of your voting base are evangelical Christians, you TALK to those evangelical Christians. I can guarantee you that Clinton and Obama are talking to a LOT of folks, maybe even asking advice from LOTS of folks that might raise some eyebrows but with which the candidates have no fiscal, emotional, or lasting ties.

I gave you a very specific scenario TKO and asked you a specific question concerning it. You keep asking me to answer your specific questions. Please do me the courtesy to answer mine. Diverting to unrelated websites won't do it.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 04:47 pm
Sorry Fox, I thought you were asking a rhetorical question. I will answer.
Foxfyre wrote:
But now let's suppose for a moment that Bush DID attend a large, politically and socially active church, committed to white supremacy, anti-Gay, pro-life to the point of wanting abortion criminalized, and accusing black people of creating essentially all the problems of modern society and referring to them by racial slurs. He put the pastor of that church on his campaign staff and introduced him as his pastor, mentor, spiritual advisor, the one who brought him into the church. And when questioned about the controversial aspects of that relationship, he then said well he had never heard his pastor say those bad things and he certainly didn't agree with them, and if he had he would have quit, but since he didn't and the pastor was retiring he saw no reason to distance himself from either the man or the church.

Are you going to say that would not color your perception of the honesty and judgment of George W. Bush and it would not factor into how he saw the world, how he perceived various issues, how he might govern? Are you honestly going to say that it wouldn't matter to you at all?

I will be honest, yes. It would color my perception, but I'm diciplined enough to base my perception not on the color, but on the actions and actual words of the person.

GWB is an easy example of someone like him or not who is easy to read. His actions and words are out there for everyone to see and evaluate. No real need to look for extra material to base my opinion on.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 04:58 pm
JTT wrote:
Asherman wrote:
Rox and other apologists for Obama's and his long-time mentor, Rev. Wright, are merely trying to create a diversion to take the heat off their hero. The Left has a lot of experience with spin, diversion, double-think, name calling, and character assassination. Given almost any excuse they revert to innuendo and incendiary attacks on any target in view. They are far too often hypocrits, whose claims to objectivity and dedication to truth, justice and an ideal America founder on reality. Faced with unpleasant truths, they go into denial, they blame the big, bad conspiracy of conservatives, republicans, wealth, and old White men for everything... including their own failures.

During this primary season it has been somewhat gratifying to watch them utilizing their penchant for name-calling, accusations, and character assassination on one another for a change. But, they are naturally angry people and perhaps they just can't help themselves.

This gets my vote as thee number one posting illustrating delusional rantings.

Actually it is a textbook example of projection. We are the ones having all the fun. Why should we be angry? These guys get their grins on other people's misery and are stupid enough to admit it.

My idea of a good time is not gloating about other people's displeasure.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 05:01 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
So, Roxxxanne, referring to the article you posted, would you say that a person's close friendships and associations are an important issue in a campaign? That a person's advisors and personal relationships should be taken into serious consideration when we choose who to elect President?

I think a conservative principle might be that character does count and that there is room to at least consider the company that people keep when assessing that.

The ridiculous implication (Foxfyre rarely communicates any thoughts directly, it is always implications) is that Barack Obama's character should be questioned based on a few soundbites pulled out of hours and hours of speeches which attempt to demonize a respected pastor.

First, the image created by the right of Rev Wright is false. Secondly, Barack Obama explained the relationship and denounced the stuff Wright said in the few soundbites. The relationship between McCain and Graham is an entirely different matter and has to be examined on its own merit.

I agree that McCain and Gramm -- at least spell the fella's name right -- are a different issue than Obama and Wright and each should be examined on its own merit.

The implication you seem to be drawing with the article you posted, however, is that the relationship matters. So how does it matter with McCain and not for Obama?

It's a reasonable question. Take your time. I'll wait.

(Pertinance to the topic goes back to No. 4 on the list: the universality of conservative principles.)

Relationships do matter when the person is a surrogate and a potential cabinet appointee.
"Gramm is often a surrogate for the Arizona senator, particularly in meetings focused on the economy. And McCain has hinted he'd consider the former Texas senator for Treasury secretary in a McCain administration."

I did spell his name right BTW and can you possibly be more clueless?

Could you spell pertinence right?

Rox wrote
Quote:
I did spell his name right BTW and can you possibly be more clueless?

Quote:
The relationship between McCain and Graham is an entirely different matter and has to be examined on its own merit.
QED

I did misspell pertinence. Thank you for the correction.

So let's compare. According to you
Quote:
Gramm is often a surrogate for the Arizona senator, particularly in meetings focused on the economy. And McCain has hinted he'd consider the former Texas senator for Treasury secretary in a McCain administration

Wright was the 20-year spiritual advisor, mentor, and trusted friend of Obama and served on Obama's campaign until he was removed under fire. He campaigned for Obama from the pulpit and, again before it all started hitting the fan, was an invited guest on talk shows where he talked about his relationship with Obama.

Now given that the Secretary of the Treasury is the principle economic advisor to the President, scrutiny of such an appointment would certainly be in order and, of course, such appointee has to be approved by Congress. So, if he in fact is the appointee, we can assume that if Gramm has screwed up or been guilty of unethical practices that will certainly be brought out.

But how does the relationship affect or reflect on McCain, as a person and conservative, personally? Or should it?

And if it does, then how could Obama's relationship with Wright not count for anything?

Wow, a straw argument and a Red Herring! And misstatement of facts.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 05:03 pm
Anyway, the April Fool stuff is funny but it is giving me a headache trying to figure out who's who.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 05:05 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Anyway, the April Fool stuff is funny but it is giving me a headache trying to figure out who's who.

Well, when you post, it's a no-brainer.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 06:05 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
... it's a no-brainer.

Your particular area of expertise, Tico.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 06:17 pm
Asherman wrote:
I believe that Sen. Hutchinson would make an outstanding President if McCain should be unable to finish a term, and why not a GOP woman at the top of the ticket in 2012? She's far better prepared to be President than either of the two Democrats currently battling it out. The more I learn of Sen. Hutchinson, the more impressed with her I am.

She would be one to consider. Probably none of us have any idea what McCain will do. If he is true to his maverickism, his pick will be a surprise, but he may give into the advice of others to an extent.

Has Michael Steele been mentioned as a possibility? Perhaps not enough experience, but I like the guy. He made a much better speech at the RNC than Obama did at the DNC, in my opinion, so if anyone is qualified by virtue of a speech, I throw his name in the hat. And since everyone is clamoring for a minority or a woman to run, why not? Here is an article he wrote.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,344429,00.html
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 08:19 pm
okie wrote:
He (Michael Steele)made a much better speech at the RNC than Obama did at the DNC...

Of course, that is why no one outside of (is it Maryland?) and Faux News viewers have ever heard of him. (I am thinking this is the guy who was Lt Governor and lost to O'Malley in the gubernatorial, right?)
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 08:54 pm
He lost but it isn't the first time excellent people lose. He will be back.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 05:48 am
Diest TKO wrote:
Sorry Fox, I thought you were asking a rhetorical question. I will answer.
Foxfyre wrote:
But now let's suppose for a moment that Bush DID attend a large, politically and socially active church, committed to white supremacy, anti-Gay, pro-life to the point of wanting abortion criminalized, and accusing black people of creating essentially all the problems of modern society and referring to them by racial slurs. He put the pastor of that church on his campaign staff and introduced him as his pastor, mentor, spiritual advisor, the one who brought him into the church. And when questioned about the controversial aspects of that relationship, he then said well he had never heard his pastor say those bad things and he certainly didn't agree with them, and if he had he would have quit, but since he didn't and the pastor was retiring he saw no reason to distance himself from either the man or the church.

Are you going to say that would not color your perception of the honesty and judgment of George W. Bush and it would not factor into how he saw the world, how he perceived various issues, how he might govern? Are you honestly going to say that it wouldn't matter to you at all?

I will be honest, yes. It would color my perception, but I'm diciplined enough to base my perception not on the color, but on the actions and actual words of the person.

GWB is an easy example of someone like him or not who is easy to read. His actions and words are out there for everyone to see and evaluate. No real need to look for extra material to base my opinion on.

T
K
O

Exactly. I haven't seen a single person criticize Obama's relationship with Wright based on race. All critiicism has been based on actions and actual words and focus of a particular pastor and church and Obama's consensual 20-year intimate exposure/relationship to that.

You admitted it would affect your opinion of a candidate who had such a 20-year relationship with the fictitious church and pastor I described. Obama's church/pastor are not fictitious, however. They are real. The scenario I gave you re a relationship and a 'fictional' pastor spewing one kind of hate and bile closely parallels the criticism that I and others have re Wright and his kind of hate and bile. And THAT is why the relationship does and should factor into perception.

If Bush (or McCain or Clinton et al) did attend such a church as I described for 20 years, if he/they did call such a pastor a close friend, mentor, and spiritual advisor, if he/they had put that pastor on their campaign staffs, he/they would be deserving of every bit as much scrutiny and criticism for that as is Obama deserving of scrutiny and criticism.

You can bet that the church McCain has attended for a number of years has been looked at closely for any problems. But apparently it is a normal, ordinary Baptist church that isn't telling people, especially young people, that they should be angry and they are oppressed and victimized and Whitey (or somebody else) has always been and is now the cause of all or most of their problems and is keeping them down and that's the kind of country they live in.

Whomever else Bush or Obama or McCain or anybody else have asked for advice or support during the course of the campaign whether religious people or activist people or radicals or kooks or dubious characters are entirely different situations and can be criticized or blown off on their own merits. Politics always makes strange bedfellows and you go after the votes where the votes are. If I asked you for your vote, contribution, support, I might even be disposed to flatter you a bit and ask for your opinion so you would like me. It wouldn't prove that I necessarily shared your views or approved of you or your lifestyle. Your vote and anybody you might be able to influence would count the same as anybody else's vote. And if you were the pastor of a mega church with a large television audience, that could represent a lot of votes. I would want you with me and not against me unless you were totally intolerable. A President is going to be President of everybody, not just those who happen to share his particular views.

Those kinds of encounters or relationships arise out of political expediency and/or opportunism and are totally different from a 20-year relationship in which a person was deeply and intimately and voluntarily immersed in a particular philosophy or ideology that could be expected to influence or reflect a person's view of others, their country, their world.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 07:11 am
Well all this outside of the Wright/Haggard stuff this thread has been an interesting read from start to finish. (actually did it took me more than an half an hour; too much time on my hands I guess.) Anyway I was interested in how conservatives come to their views since they are so foreign to my own views.

From my left leaning perspective I have to admit ebrown summed it up best for me.

Quote:
In Foxy's metaphor, there is a difference between saving a man from drowning... and buying him a Mercedes. A civilized Society should do the first. The second should be left to the free market.

Agreed.

But as I don't want to be called on as being a troll and it seems this thread was only intended for conservative to figure out to get back to their true conservatism (mind boggling but oh well), I will just leave it at that. Today's is April the 2 so I guess I missed the day for true trolling. Laughing
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 07:34 am
revel wrote:
Well all this outside of the Wright/Haggard stuff this thread has been an interesting read from start to finish. (actually did it took me more than an half an hour; too much time on my hands I guess.) Anyway I was interested in how conservatives come to their views since they are so foreign to my own views.

From my left leaning perspective I have to admit ebrown summed it up best for me.

Quote:
In Foxy's metaphor, there is a difference between saving a man from drowning... and buying him a Mercedes. A civilized Society should do the first. The second should be left to the free market.

Agreed.

But as I don't want to be called on as being a troll and it seems this thread was only intended for conservative to figure out to get back to their true conservatism (mind boggling but oh well), I will just leave it at that. Today's is April the 2 so I guess I missed the day for true trolling. Laughing

I don't think ebrown has ever correctly quoted me or represented my views ever. At least if he has, it was a long time ago; but his analogy here wasn't too bad.

The metaphor on saving a man from drowning was in the context of loving other people. One definition of loving your fellow man is a willingness to throw him a rope to save him from drowning even though you personally despise him or everything he stands for.

A liberal would then install a fence around the water to ensure that the man and everybody else would not be put at risk of drowning. Of course that also prevents people from being able to enjoy the water, but the people know they are loved and cared for.

A conservative would teach the guy to swim so that he could take care of himself in such matters and would put the responsibility on him to use his new ability responsibly. This promotes pride of accomplishment and self respect which, from a conservative point of view, represents a higher form of love.

The Mercedes is a totally different concept. It can be a gift or it can be a bribe or both. A liberal might think it okay that people become dependent in order to have that Mercedes. A conservative thinks the better way is to create an environment where people can earn a Mercedes for themselves if that is where their heart lies.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 08:25 am
Oh, and a post like you just made is not in the least bit trollish, Revel. You'll have to try harder than that to be a troll. Smile
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 08:39 am
DiestTKO wrote
Quote:
Fox - Ted Haggard used to talk to Dubya or his staff weekly. I didn't make it up

The operative word here is 'used to'. The 'used to' was before there was any problem. Haggard was a respected pastor of a respectable mega church in Colorado Springs. When Haggard admitted to unacceptable conduct, that church ousted him as any respectable church would do with a pastor found guilty of unacceptable conduct. And whatever informal association Haggard might have had with the White House almost certainly ceased at that time.

I would have had no problem whatsoever if Obama had done what Oprah did--gone to church at TUCC, even joined. But after it became apparent that the Church was geared to be a sort of 'black supremacy' organization that condemned America and exalted Africa, that the doctrine was often speech encouraging people to be angry, resentful and feel victimized and mistreated, and placing blame on all 'rich white people' for all their problems, Oprah left that church and found another. We can surmise that she didn't resonate with either the message or the emphasis--that wasn't her.

Obama didn't leave.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 09:01 am
Whether ebrown was trying to express your views is beside the point in my view as I think there is a difference in sustaining a person who needs help for however long that takes and giving him a living which makes him or her rich. Welfare never has made anyone rich, nor is welfare all there is to government programs.

Furthermore; I think you misrepresent what a liberal is. We do not "A liberal would then install a fence around the water to ensure that the man and everybody else would not be put at risk of drowning. Of course that also prevents people from being able to enjoy the water, but the people know they are loved and cared for."

What government programs are designed to do is to help those in need to survive. If you find yourself able to survive on your own then you no longer need government help and can make as much money as you like and our encouraged to do so.

For instance the welfare reform under the Clinton administration and republican congress; reformed welfare in quite a number of positive ways in that it installed programs for single mothers to get help to go to school and get jobs. Since Bush has been in office the money for this effort has not been enough to keep the program going very effectively.

Also some people are simply disabled and can not go out and get help on their own and need government programs to survive. People who are mentally retarded for instance need government assistance. Volunteer work is all well and good but the key word there is volunteer which is not something stable like a monthly check and food stamps to depend on.

Also some people are laid off or otherwise find themselves unemployed and need assistance until they get back on their feet. No one wants to survive on government money that only provides the bare necessities except those who want to defraud the government in every way they can. Those people should be investigated and their assistance stripped.

This is the core difference between a liberal government and a conservative government. I favor a liberal govenment and make no excuses or apologies for it scarlet letter though it has come to be.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 09:06 am
Entitlement Mentality Is Wrecking Economy

Quote:
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 11:11 am
What is wrecking the economy is the policies which have been put in place by Bush backed up by a republican/democratic congress which has been very conservative in that it stripped all government programs of funds by the tax cuts and then spent too much money on the Iraq war which again has been run on credit have to pay for in interest. Moreover; the oil companies and other big countries have had huge tax credits while we have had to pay higher and higher energy prices and higher prices for goods that are lower in quality to boot. Also every time the economy got in trouble; the fed kept lowering the interest rates which encouraged borrowing and it is now coming home to slap us in the face.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 12:14 pm
I think that goes like this, "from each according to his means, to each according to his needs." Great sound byte, from Karl.
0 Replies