AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 06:21 pm
@Debra Law,
"Supporting myself' had absolutely nothing to do with my post. Nor did I suggest there was no role for government regulation. The MACean laizze-faire economics are the exact economics described by Adam Smith and Walter Williams in that essay or that described in the Wikipedia definition for Classical Liberalism that has been posted several times now.

Building strawmen out of things that have never been said is not conducive to inspiring confidence that you have a clue what any of that is about.

I hunger to find a liberal....ANY liberal anywhere....who does understand it and can actually address the concept honestly and without prejudice and make a reasoned case for why it is a flawed concept. Now THAT would be a foundation for a great debate.
old europe

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 06:48 pm
@Foxfyre,
For somebody who pretends that it's the issue that is of importance, you spend an awful lot of time on these meta-discussions about how people should have a discussion.

Well, I gave an example that was different from the AIG topic (which you took issue with for some reason, calling me "fixated" on the topic), I asked you a relevant question in direct reply to the "MAC principles" you stated, and you reply saying that you're tired of "antagonistic and/or snotty and/or insulting comments from your side and no contribution to the discussion".

I take that as a refusal to discuss what "MAC principles" would mean in a real life example.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 07:26 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

"Supporting myself' had absolutely nothing to do with my post. Nor did I suggest there was no role for government regulation. The MACean laizze-faire economics are the exact economics described by Adam Smith and Walter Williams in that essay or that described in the Wikipedia definition for Classical Liberalism that has been posted several times now.

Building strawmen out of things that have never been said is not conducive to inspiring confidence that you have a clue what any of that is about.

I hunger to find a liberal....ANY liberal anywhere....who does understand it and can actually address the concept honestly and without prejudice and make a reasoned case for why it is a flawed concept. Now THAT would be a foundation for a great debate.

Bullshit.

You are the most dishonest person who posts. Everytime you are backed into a corner, you allege you didn't say what you actually said.

For many pages you have been making the point that greed is good. You portrayed yourself and your home business as an essential cog in our economic web. You said, "If we were not getting paid, we would not do the work and would not care whether our clients were benefitted or not."

AGAIN, so what? My husband and I run a business. If we weren't getting paid, we wouldn't do it either.

Your thesis for many pages has been that GREED is GOOD--because people are motivated by their own selfish interests to GET PAID--and they combine to create a fragile web of an economic system that will come crashing down if the government gets in the way.

Your thesis is seriously flawed because greed is not always good. The Greed Mongers must be regulated by the government. Do YOU understand that?

On one hand you claim the government is not smart enough to regulate the economy because doing so will have adverse ripples, then on the other hand, you claim there is some role for government regulation to prevent people from doing violence to each other. WTF? Are you talking about economic regulation or not?

In one post you're complaining because the government PRESSURED people into being greedy, and in the next post, you're claiming people are just naturally greedy all on their own without any government pressure. You are constantly changing your story, shifting your oogedy-boogedy theories, and blaming others for being stupid and not understanding what only you--the great Foxfyre--understands.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 07:29 pm
@Foxfyre,
I did by answering your statement about "running a business," and referring to the "Business Dictionary" for the proper "place" of laissez faire in today's economy. Your use of the term is wrong.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 07:35 pm
Here's another news item about MACs in congress; they included more "pork" (earmarks) than the democrats. 40 republican congress members included the same amount of pork as 60 democrat congress members. The party of smaller government. Yeah, tell us about it?

What was the definition for MACs again? LOL
ican711nm

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:45 pm
@Debra Law,
ican711nm wrote:
MACs insist that laws that do not conform to the powers granted the federal Government by the Constitution not be passed.

Strawman response. Most Americans -- liberals, conservatives, democrats, republicans, et al. -- "insist" on compliance with the Constitution.

My responses below are colored purple.

Most liberals may insist that laws that do not conform to the powers granted the federal Government by the Constitution not be passed, but they too often do not comply with that. For example, the MALs like Obama and the Democrat majority have passed laws that give the feds (i.e., the federal government) the power to take money from some private individuals or organizations and give away that money to other private individuals or organizations. No where in the Constitutions are the feds granted the power to do that.

Also, the MALs tax one's dollars of income at different rates depending on how many dollars of income one receives in a year. No where in the Constitution are the feds granted the power to do that.

Conservatives, however, have proven themselves over and over again to be hypocrites. At the same time they're insisting on compliance with the constitution, they're violating the constitution.

Debra Law wrote:
They refuse to acknowledge that a woman has an inalienable right to decide for herself whether to bear and beget children.

ican711nm wrote:
MACs believe that the objective of the federal government ought to be to secure the inalienable rights of humans to life, Liberty, and the PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS.

When does a fetus become a human? Some MACs say it's when they are conceived. Some say it's when they are fully formed humans in the uterus. Some say it's at the moment birth begins, Others say it's not until the baby's umbilical cord is cut.

Silly you. Even staunch-Catholic SC Justice Scalia, in an interview with Leslie Stahl of 60 Minutes, acknowledges the following:

"My job is to interpret the Constitution accurately. And indeed, there are anti-abortion people who think that the constitution requires a state to prohibit abortion. They say that the Equal Protection Clause requires that you treat a helpless human being that's still in the womb the way you treat other human beings. I think that's wrong. I think when the Constitution says that persons are entitled to equal protection of the laws, I think it clearly means walking-around persons."

That's not evidence that what I wrote was anything more than an incomplete characterization of what MACs believe:
When does a fetus become a human? Some MACs say it's when they are conceived. Some say it's when they are fully formed humans in the uterus. Some say it's at the moment birth begins, Others say it's not until the baby's umbilical cord is cut. STILL OTHERS BELIEVE IT'S NOT UNTIL THE BABY IS "WALKING-AROUND."

You merely encouraged expansion of my statement. You did not refute it.

Explain why conservatives pay lip service to individual rights and "insist" on compliance with the constitution and--at the same time--they "insist" on taking away the individual rights of women to determine their own procreative destinies and to pass UNCONSTITUTIONAL laws banning abortion?

Explanation = HYPOCRISY. Say one thing; do the opposite.

Yes, some MACs try "to pass UNCONSTITUTIONAL laws banning abortion." But clearly that's not true of all MACs. You are slandering ALL MACS when you accuse them all of what some do. That's evidence of standard bigotry.

Debra Law wrote:
They refuse to acknowledge that homosexuals have equal rights under the law.

ican711nm wrote:
MACs believe homosexuals have equal rights under the law with the exception of a right to marriage.

Explain why conservatives pay lip service to individual rights and equal protection under the law while they're simultaneously carving out exceptions?

Could it be explained by HYPOCRISY? AGAIN?

I'm seeing a pattern here.

Equal protection of the laws is not being denied when some MACs want marriage to be the establishment of a partnership between one male and one female, but are willing to grant an equivalent protection of a partnership between two males or two females as long as it is not called marriage. How about calling it pairage?

Debra Law wrote:
They refuse to acknowledge that others have a right to be free of religion in the public sector.

ican711nm wrote:
NO ONE has the right to be free of religion in the public sector. Granting them such right deprives others of their right to practice their religion in the public sector....

Everyone has a right secured by the Constitution to convert public property and government buildings into places of worship and religious shrines? I didn't know that. Thanks for the education.

SOPHISTRY! I didn't write anything about CONVERTING "public property and government buildings into places of worship and religious shrines." Such property continues to be used primarily for government functions and processes. I wrote: NO ONE has the right to be free of religion in the public sector: for example, individuals are free to display on their persons or work desks, bibles and other religous artifacts that are visible to others.

Hell, atheism is as much a religion as is theism. Both are based on faith. Neither can provefor certain itself right or the other wrong. Atheist are free to display on their persons or desks their artifacts.

If what you're saying is true and everyone has a right to practice their religion in the public sector, why did the Supreme Court rule against the Summum? Why were the Summum deprived of the equal right to place a religious monument on public property when others were allowed to do so?

When the Supreme Court decided that, they violated the Constitution, thinking it had the right to amend the Constitution. There's nothing in the 1st Amendment or elsewhere denying people the right to such displays. The 9th Amendment makes it clear that just because a particular right is not enumerated in the Constitution does not mean a person does not have that right.

Who can use public property to shove their religious views down other people's throats and who can't? I'm confused by your "conservative" policy on religion in the public sphere.

Debra Law wrote:
They refuse to acknowledge that workers have a right to unionize and bargain for better wages and working conditions.

ican711nm wrote:
MACs willingly and openly "acknowledge that workers have a right to unionize and bargain for better wages and working conditions."

MACs are opposed to forced unionism, that is, unionism that is establish by YES VOTES obtained by means of coercion. For example, MACs are opposed to non-secret ballots.

MACs are also opposed to membership in a union being a requirement to get or keep a job.

Oh. Then why did the conservatives demand on busting the unions in the automaking industry?

MACs did not do that! MACs advocate not subsizing either the automaking industry or its unions.

"Conservatives" want the greed mongers to prosper--they don't want workers to prosper. After all, every dollar paid to a worker is a dollar less in the greed monger's pocket. "Conservatives" want "capitalists" to have a large pool of cheap labor in order to maximize profit.

MALARKY! Rational People who own or run businesses know they must pay a fair wage for a fair day's work in order to prosper. Employees know they must do a fair day's work for a fair day's pay in order to prosper.

PROFIT is the GOD that "conservatives" worship far more religiously than they worship the Christian God. In other words, the GREED MONGERS use "conservatism" as the means to whip the social hypocrites into a frenzy and to get them out to vote for the candidates who will feed the GREED mongers from the government trough.

THAT'S SLANDEROUS BIGOTRY! IT IS THE MALRINOCINOS WHO ARE THE GREED MONGERS! They are greedy for what others have lawfully earned. Their chronic envy illnesses corrupt their brains to a point that they characterize MACs behaving like they, the MALRINOCINOS, actually behave. They are greedy for government to steal from those who have more and give it to them. Also, the MALRINOCINOS are greedy for power so that they can more easily steal from the more productive, while at the same time reducing what the MACs have for them to steal. In other words, the MALRINOCINOS are nuts.

"Conservatives" want the greed mongers to get all the cheese--they don't want the workers or the poor people to get any cheese. God forbid that some poor child might get fed and housed on tax dollars--oh no! You working slobs ought to be outraged that your tax dollars are being used to support the worthless scum of society. You should vote for the candidates of GREED . . . yeah, baby! "Conservatism" all the way, man!

MACs at all levels of wealth know that they must cooperate with the equally wealthy, less wealthy and more wealthy in order to accomplish their own goals. It is the MALRINOCINOS who think they will be better off if they use the government to steal for them, and not cooperate with anyone other than their fellow thieves.

Debra Law wrote:
The list is endless. Conservatives SAY one thing, they DO the opposite. Their actions speak louder than their meaningless talk.
====================================
ican711nm wrote:
Please name and quote the conservatives on this thread that you think say one thing and do another.

NAMES: YOU, Foxfyre.

QUOTES: All of them. Every discussion we have ever had denotes the hypocrisy of your conservative "say one thing, do the opposite" ideology.

NONSENSE! Show me an excerpt written by Foxfyre, or an excerpt written by me, where she or I "say one thing and do the opposite."

Seems like you are exhibiting "transference," a well known psychological character trait exhibited by many guilty persons." I bet you are probably characterizing yourself and transfering your guilt to others.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
This is "capitalism" at its finest:
Quote:
Ex-Leaders at Countrywide Start Firm to Buy Bad Loans

By ERIC LIPTON
Published: March 3, 2009

CALABASAS, Calif. " Fairly or not, Countrywide Financial and its top executives would be on most lists of those who share blame for the nation’s economic crisis. After all, the banking behemoth made risky loans to tens of thousands of Americans, helping set off a chain of events that has the economy staggering.

So it may come as a surprise that a dozen former top Countrywide executives now stand to make millions from the home mortgage mess.

Stanford L. Kurland, Countrywide’s former president, and his team have been buying up delinquent home mortgages that the government took over from other failed banks, sometimes for pennies on the dollar. They get a piece of what they can collect.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 10:53 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

Bullshit.

You are the most dishonest person who posts. Everytime you are backed into a corner, you allege you didn't say what you actually said.

Afraid not. It is dishonest to rewrite or rephrase what I say to try to make it into something else. It is not dishonest to call you on it when you do that.

Quote:
For many pages you have been making the point that greed is good. You portrayed yourself and your home business as an essential cog in our economic web. You said, "If we were not getting paid, we would not do the work and would not care whether our clients were benefitted or not."

I don't believe at any time I have ever said that greed was good. If I did, please post my quote in which I said that. I have said that what you call 'greed' is what Adam Smith calls looking to one's own interests. Maybe that's the same thing. I don't see it that way.

Quote:
AGAIN, so what? My husband and I run a business. If we weren't getting paid, we wouldn't do it either.

So what is your problem with me saying that we wouldn't be doing the work we do if it didn't produce a benefit for us? Am I greedy because I wouldn't? Are you?

Quote:
Your thesis for many pages has been that GREED is GOOD--because people are motivated by their own selfish interests to GET PAID--and they combine to create a fragile web of an economic system that will come crashing down if the government gets in the way.

Oh really? I thought you earlier said that I hadn't said any of that. But again you are rewriting what I have actually said into something that you think is easier for you to attack. That is called a form of straw man in case you've forgotten the semantics.

Again what I have offered was to teach something of Adam Smith's economics as illustrated in the Walter Williams essay that I posted. You don't do the work you do to benefit anybody else or else you would do it whether or not you get paid. Does it make you 'greedy' to expect to benefit yourself by the work you do?

In the process of benefitting themselves, people also benefit others, usually not because they specifically choose to benefit anyone, but because it furthers their own interests to do so. And that is repeated over and over throughout a free market economy, each person working for his/her own interest and benefitting others usually with no knowledge of or specific intent to do so. Williams takes it a step further that some who benefit us may actually hate us and would harm us if they could. Nevertheless the products that they enter into the system wind up being a part of the whole that benefits part or all of the whole, including those they hate.

And, according to Smith and Williams, the system finds a way to work together fairly efficiently and effortlessly unless some artificial component, such as a government intervention, enters into it. And that can--not necessarily always will--but can throw a part of the economy out of its efficient mode into an inefficient mode and, if serious enough, can affect the whole in a negative way.

Quote:
Your thesis is seriously flawed because greed is not always good. The Greed Mongers must be regulated by the government. Do YOU understand that?

Really? I have agreed to sufficient laws and regulation to prevent us from doing violence to each other, either economically, socially, politically, or physically. But otherwise, what would you consider 'greed mongering' that would require regulation by the government?

Please provide a good example of that.

Quote:
On one hand you claim the government is not smart enough to regulate the economy because doing so will have adverse ripples, then on the other hand, you claim there is some role for government regulation to prevent people from doing violence to each other. WTF? Are you talking about economic regulation or not?

Did you read that Williams essay at all? If not please do so. Here's the link again:
http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/wew/articles/09/EconomicMiracle.htm

He beautifully illustrates why no person or government - any government - is smart enough or big enough or all encompassing enough to manage an economy as efficiently as people will do it themselves if government will just stay out of their way. When you have read that essay, let's discuss it further.

Quote:
In one post you're complaining because the government PRESSURED people into being greedy, and in the next post, you're claiming people are just naturally greedy all on their own without any government pressure. You are constantly changing your story, shifting your oogedy-boogedy theories, and blaming others for being stupid and not understanding what only you--the great Foxfyre--understands.

You won't find any quote of mine where the government pressured anybody into being greedy. What I did say is that the government pressured the lending institutions into being unwisely benevolent. Big difference. That upset the natural economics of supply and demand to create a housing bubble that provided so many different ways for so many people to make a lot of fast money that it was irrisistible for the 'greedy' to resist. And when the bubble burst, rich and poor got burned. That is an excellent example of how government interference creates a problem that most likely would never have occurred with such government interference.

And despite your dishonesty in misrepresenting what I have said and your accusations of what I have done and your general unkindness and self-righteous presumed superiority and general bitchiness, you will have a very difficult time showing where I have changed my position on this at any time. I state it in different ways and deal with different components of it at different times because it is a very big and very complex subject.

I just wonder why you choose to be so snotty about it when it is entirely unneessary? I was really hoping you would take the bait and be one of the rare smart ones who could actually carry on a rational conversation without having to make stuff up and try to bully your way through a debate.

You disappointed me.
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 11:12 pm
@Foxfyre,
Correction: This sentence "That is an excellent example of how government interference creates a problem that most likely would never have occurred with such government interference." should read ". . . . would never have occurred without such government interference.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 12:24 am
Quote:
REVIEW & OUTLOOK
MARCH 3, 2009, 12:06 A.M. ET
The Obama Economy

As the Dow keeps dropping, the President is running out of people to blame.

As 2009 opened, three weeks before Barack Obama took office, the Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 9034 on January 2, its highest level since the autumn panic. Yesterday the Dow fell another 4.24% to 6763, for an overall decline of 25% in two months and to its lowest level since 1997. The dismaying message here is that President Obama's policies have become part of the economy's problem.

Americans have welcomed the Obama era in the same spirit of hope the President campaigned on. But after five weeks in office, it's become clear that Mr. Obama's policies are slowing, if not stopping, what would otherwise be the normal process of economic recovery. From punishing business to squandering scarce national public resources, Team Obama is creating more uncertainty and less confidence -- and thus a longer period of recession or subpar growth.

The Democrats who now run Washington don't want to hear this, because they benefit from blaming all bad economic news on President Bush. And Mr. Obama has inherited an unusual recession deepened by credit problems, both of which will take time to climb out of. But it's also true that the economy has fallen far enough, and long enough, that much of the excess that led to recession is being worked off. Already 15 months old, the current recession will soon match the average length -- and average job loss -- of the last three postwar downturns. What goes down will come up -- unless destructive policies interfere with the sources of potential recovery

And those sources have been forming for some time. The price of oil and other commodities have fallen by two-thirds since their 2008 summer peak, which has the effect of a major tax cut. The world is awash in liquidity, thanks to monetary ease by the Federal Reserve and other central banks. Monetary policy operates with a lag, but last year's easing will eventually stir economic activity.

Housing prices have fallen 27% from their Case-Shiller peak, or some two-thirds of the way back to their historical trend. While still high, credit spreads are far from their peaks during the panic, and corporate borrowers are again able to tap the credit markets. As equities were signaling with their late 2008 rally and January top, growth should under normal circumstances begin to appear in the second half of this year.

So what has happened in the last two months? The economy has received no great new outside shock. Exchange rates and other prices have been stable, and there are no security crises of note. The reality of a sharp recession has been known and built into stock prices since last year's fourth quarter.

What is new is the unveiling of Mr. Obama's agenda and his approach to governance. Every new President has a finite stock of capital -- financial and political -- to deploy, and amid recession Mr. Obama has more than most. But one negative revelation has been the way he has chosen to spend his scarce resources on income transfers rather than growth promotion. Most of his "stimulus" spending was devoted to social programs, rather than public works, and nearly all of the tax cuts were devoted to income maintenance rather than to improving incentives to work or invest.

His Treasury has been making a similar mistake with its financial bailout plans. The banking system needs to work through its losses, and one necessary use of public capital is to assist in burning down those bad assets as fast as possible. Yet most of Team Obama's ministrations so far have gone toward triage and life support, rather than repair and recovery.

AIG yesterday received its fourth "rescue," including $70 billion in Troubled Asset Relief Program cash, without any clear business direction. (See here.) Citigroup's restructuring last week added not a dollar of new capital, and also no clear direction. Perhaps the imminent Treasury "stress tests" will clear the decks, but until they do the banks are all living in fear of becoming the next AIG. All of this squanders public money that could better go toward burning down bank debt.

The market has notably plunged since Mr. Obama introduced his budget last week, and that should be no surprise. The document was a declaration of hostility toward capitalists across the economy. Health-care stocks have dived on fears of new government mandates and price controls. Private lenders to students have been told they're no longer wanted. Anyone who uses carbon energy has been warned to expect a huge tax increase from cap and trade. And every risk-taker and investor now knows that another tax increase will slam the economy in 2011, unless Mr. Obama lets Speaker Nancy Pelosi impose one even earlier.

Meanwhile, Congress demands more bank lending even as it assails lenders and threatens to let judges rewrite mortgage contracts. The powers in Congress -- unrebuked by Mr. Obama -- are ridiculing and punishing the very capitalists who are essential to a sustainable recovery. The result has been a capital strike, and the return of the fear from last year that we could face a far deeper downturn. This is no way to nurture a wounded economy back to health.

Listening to Mr. Obama and his chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel, on the weekend, we couldn't help but wonder if they appreciate any of this. They seem preoccupied with going to the barricades against Republicans who wield little power, or picking a fight with Rush Limbaugh, as if this is the kind of economic leadership Americans want.

Perhaps they're reading the polls and figure they have two or three years before voters stop blaming Republicans and Mr. Bush for the economy. Even if that's right in the long run, in the meantime their assault on business and investors is delaying a recovery and ensuring that the expansion will be weaker than it should be when it finally does arrive.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123604419092515347.html
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 06:01 am
Certainly following Adam Smith's ideas and conservative principles, Stanford L. Kurland and collegues are now poised to make millions from the housing crisis.

Stanford L. Kurland - that's the former president of Countrywide FInancial " the bank that has become most synonymous with the bad mortgage lending practices that eventually caused the housing market to burst, setting into motion the current financial crisis, and colleagues - from the defunct firm now run PennyMac.

“It is sort of like the arsonist who sets fire to the house and then buys up the charred remains and resells it,” said Margot Saunders, a lawyer with the National Consumer Law Center.

Modern Conservative Capitalism.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 09:10 am
@Walter Hinteler,
How is that following Adam Smith's ideas? Like AIG, right or wrong, Countrywide took advantage of the artificially created financial opportunities created by government meddling. That is antithetical to Adam Smith's teaching of how a sound economy operates.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 09:19 am
@Foxfyre,
On another issue, while listening to the morning new this morning, it was reported that Russ Feingold, Evan Bayh, John McCain, and a few others have revisited this last massive appropriations bill and are urging the President to veto it and re-do it. Maybe....just maybe.....the MACean side of these guys is kicking in and our elected leaders are choosing to do something respomsible?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 11:18 am
@Foxfyre,
That article belongs on the laugher curve; the stock market is not based on short-term expectations on our economy. If you believe Obama is responsible for the markets decline, please show proof where any stock market was based on any one month of any economy in the world.

This current crisis is a major recession not seen since the great depression. The world's economy is in crisis; it's not only a US problem.

Trying to blame the US stock market decline on Obama who's been in office for one month is not only ridiculous but shows no knowledge about how the market (of any country) works.

That being said, I do not agree with everything Obama or this congress is doing in the bailout of companies who have tanked because of their incompetence.

FYI, GM, Ford and Chrysler were in trouble long before Obama took office. To blame him for their incompetence is stupid and idiotic.

0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 11:55 am
How would you know, CI? If you had actually read the article, you couldn't possibly have drawn such a wrong conclusion about what it said. At least most people wouldn't.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 12:10 pm
@Foxfyre,
From Foxie's article:
Quote:
The Democrats who now run Washington don't want to hear this, because they benefit from blaming all bad economic news on President Bush. And Mr. Obama has inherited an unusual recession deepened by credit problems, both of which will take time to climb out of. But it's also true that the economy has fallen far enough, and long enough, that much of the excess that led to recession is being worked off. Already 15 months old, the current recession will soon match the average length -- and average job loss -- of the last three postwar downturns. What goes down will come up -- unless destructive policies interfere with the sources of potential recovery.

My post answers this statement; they are assuming this downturn is "similar" to past downturns. They're already saying Obama's actions are wrong, because what goes down will come up. That's not only wrong but pig-headed. This so-called downturn is "not similar" to past downturns. Trying to blame Obama for what he's trying to attempt in mitigating this fast growing recession is the "only" option. I just argue with "how" he's trying to accomplish it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 12:12 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

How is that following Adam Smith's ideas? Like AIG, right or wrong, Countrywide took advantage of the artificially created financial opportunities created by government meddling. That is antithetical to Adam Smith's teaching of how a sound economy operates.

Smith's moral philosophy (do you any quote where he writes about "ethics"?) was about flourishing markets. with an existing market exchange system that was just evolving out of feudalism.

Capitalism - not only the word but how we understand that concept [today] was unknown at his time.

You, Foxfyre, transfer his ideas over two hundred in today's society.

Why do you exclude the "ethic" part?
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 12:26 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Because 'ethics' had no part in Smith's philosophy of capitalism. Perhaps he didn't call it capitalism, but that is what his theory was just the same. His theory focused on the dynamics of how a system of economics operates naturally and efficiently to the mutual benefit of those participating in it if it is allowed to operate without outside interference. He was quite clear that morality or ethics plays little part in that process as each person works for his/her own benefit and only inadvertently benefits those who are unseen and unconsidered in the process.

Once we understand what Adams is actually saying, we can then debate whether humankind is best served by that natural process or best served by government deciding what benefits humankind should have. If you wish to insert ethics into it, is the result of Adams style economics more humane and beneficial to humankind that other economic systems?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 12:28 pm
@Foxfyre,
Wrong again. Capitalism by its very nature requires government to control fraud and trade. Monopolies can injure capitalism because it limits choice and price.

Foxie, Where did you study economics?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 12:30 pm
And again the point goes flying right over CI's head as he remains oblivious to what is actually being discussed.