AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

plainoldme

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 01:31 pm
@MontereyJack,
Of course, with the top 1% hogging everything . . .
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 01:31 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS-vf7bCybQ
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 06:13 pm
Good evening. New Hampshire Republicans met today to select a new leader. The 500 or so delegates settled on Jack Kimball.
He had run for Governor in 2010 with Tea Party movement support. He lost.
Previously he headed an organization called the Liberty Party, which espoused the same principles as the Tea Party group, but predates it.
Mr Kimball, as state party chairman, is supposed to be neutral, but he said: We need to "...get back to conservative roots and stay there."
Later, the NH Repubs had a straw poll. The results made no sense to me.
Romney: 35%
Ron Paul: 11%
Pawlenty: 8%
Palin: 7%
okie

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 07:50 pm
@realjohnboy,
It makes total sense to me, rjb. Romney would do well there, because he was a reasonably successful and well liked governor of neighboring Democratic state Massachusetts. That has always been one of the things I considered a positive point for Romney, that he governed a liberal Democratic state like he did, without becoming a very polarizing figure there.

I recognize however that any Republican on the national scene will be unmercifully attacked and demagogued by the mainstream media. With respect to Romney, the mainstream media will use his Mormon religion against him. Any Republican will have to overcome the built in 15 percentage point handicap against them and for the Democrats by the mainstream press. I am still amazed that this same press had the audacity to give a pass to a questionable candidate from corrupt Chicago politics and trump the man up as the greatest guy they had seen running for president in the past 40 years.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 07:55 pm
@okie,
cough...
okie

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 08:08 pm
@Rockhead,
Don't choke on your weed, Rocky.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 08:39 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

cough...

I don't understand what you are talking about with regards to the "main-stream media" affecting the Repub's selection of a candidate, Okie. Romney being a Mormon, Kennedy a Catholic and others being Jewish or even Muslim seems to be an issue within the party, not an issue in the electorate at large.
Do you think that Romney's religion will be a factor within the Repub party when it comes to selecting a candidate?
Thanks for responding with your thoughts.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 10:30 pm
@okie,
Wow! It is amazing that you think Romney was a well-liked governor. Everyone I know thought he was an insufferable snob but incompetent at everything else.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 10:46 pm
@realjohnboy,
It probably doesn't make any sense, because most voters are not aware of these candidates well enough to respond with any intelligence. Besides that factor, there are other potential GOP candidates that's not even listed.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 10:50 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Wow! It is amazing that you think Romney was a well-liked governor. Everyone I know thought he was an insufferable snob but incompetent at everything else.

Do you usually get your opinions from "everyone you know"? Perhaps the circle of your acquaintences is not very representative of the population of the state.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 10:54 pm
@georgeob1,
okie gets his info from friends and family; seems to work for him! LOL
georgeob1

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 10:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
POM is a very neurotic version of okie.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 11:00 pm
Obviously you know nothing about Massachusetts, okie, if you think Romney was well-liked. Or competent. He was a serial runner in MA politics. He kept running for office and running his mouth, so we had something like fifteen years experience with him telling us what he stood for by the time he finally got into an office. Within two years he'd flipflopped on everything he'd told us, as he told the rest of the country he'd never REALLY believed what he'd told us for years he did. He'll tell you anything to get elected. We know--he did.

The only thing of merit he did was work with Democrats to get a state health plan created. And during the Obama healthcare debates he spent his time denouncing the health plan he'd spent a year boasting about in-state.

The man isn't two-faced--he's seven- or eight-faced. He's got great and great teeth. That's it.

And, yes, georgeob, pom's opinion is representative of the opinion of the people of the state. We have much too much experience with the man.

mysteryman

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 11:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Like who?
Who are some of the potential Republican candidates that aren't listed.
Actually, let me amend that to read serious, viable Republican candidates that aren't listed.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 11:22 pm
@mysteryman,
mm, What makes you think anybody knows who the "potential Republican candidates" are today?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 08:22 am
@georgeob1,
Well, I see a certain resemblance between you and okie.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 08:48 am
@MontereyJack,
Thanks for your note on the career of romney.

@ georgeob
Monterey Jack lives in Massachusetts, as I do. The chutzpah with which you tell me what people in this state think would be amusing if it weren't so pathetic.

I have run parallel to Willard (his real name) Romney most of my life. We are the same age and are both from Michigan. His father spoke at my high school graduation because George Romney and Monsignor Maino, the pastor of the parish which sponsored the school, were close friends. For many years, Willard and I lived less than four miles from each, albeit in different towns. We knew people in common.

MJ wrote:
Quote:
He kept running for office and running his mouth, so we had something like fifteen years experience with him telling us what he stood for by the time he finally got into an office. Within two years he'd flipflopped on everything he'd told us, as he told the rest of the country he'd never REALLY believed what he'd told us for years he did. He'll tell you anything to get elected. We know--he did.

One of the things Willard told the electorate of Massachusetts was what came to be known, derisively, as "the Prom King" campaign.

As a high school senior, Willard began dating Anne, then a freshman and now his wife. His Prom King campaign television ads featured two that turned many -- and should have turned all -- against him.

In one, he talked about how his prom date was, as he referred to her, "the good Anne." He talked about the "crazy car," an American Motors product (if that rings a bell with you), that he was provided with for the prom. The young couple went to the submarine races after the dance and the car ran out of gas. As his father formerly chaired American Motors, many regarded his statement about the crazy car as an insult to his late parent.

However, that wasn't the ad that cast him in a negative light. The ad which followed it was. Willard bragged about how, as a student at Stanford, he took a job working as a night watchman, not because he needed money for pizza and movies, but because he flew home every weekend to be with his jailbait girlfriend.

With much bravado, this Republican looked into the camera and bragged that neither his parents nor hers ever knew.

Revelation for you: During academic 1965-66, when Willard and I were freshmen, a night watchman's wages were probably insufficient to finance weekly cross country flights.

What is worse, is this man bragged about sneaking and lying to not one set of parents but two.

In other words, he told the electorate of Massachusetts that he was and is a liar.

Now, for many years -- although they have toned down that rhetoric -- the Republicans have attempted to represent themselves as the part of family values and sexual restraint. I have often presented evidence here that many Republicans are neither. However, it was the left that held his statements for what they were: the words of a man who holds his own wills and desires above those of others, including his own parents.

Do not attempt to rationalize the matter by saying he did what many 18 year old boys did at the time (with the exception of the extravagant flights). It was as a man in his late 50s that Willard bragged.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 10:26 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
Good evening. New Hampshire Republicans met today to select a new leader. The 500 or so delegates settled on Jack Kimball.
He had run for Governor in 2010 with Tea Party movement support. He lost.
Previously he headed an organization called the Liberty Party, which espoused the same principles as the Tea Party group, but predates it.
Mr Kimball, as state party chairman, is supposed to be neutral, but he said: We need to "...get back to conservative roots and stay there."
Later, the NH Repubs had a straw poll. The results made no sense to me.
Romney: 35%
Ron Paul: 11%
Pawlenty: 8%
Palin: 7%

It probably just indicates who those voting think is most qualified. Although Palin is well liked and enjoys great popularity among Conservatives, I don't think that necessarily means they want her to run or that she's the most qualified among the field so far. Were those four the only choices in the poll, do you know?

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 10:31 am
@Irishk,
20 names were listed with the option of writing in the name of a potential candidate.
Irishk

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 10:37 am
@realjohnboy,
Thanks. It'll be interesting to see who emerges as the front-runner.