AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

Rockhead

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 09:42 pm
@realjohnboy,
i dunno, but squirt has a twitchy thumb...

old video game issue. on top of chronic masturbatory tendencies.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 07:37 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Just as you can't know anything about liberal women.

I know a few things about Liberal women, they are often irrational and unbalanced.
Liberal women have more bones in their closets than conservative women.
Liberal women may like children, but they don't love them.
For the most part Liberal women are nucking futs... bat **** crazy.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 11:00 am
@realjohnboy,
I do remember that and it makes sense because God promised Adam and Eve he would never send a flood again. An earthquake is not a flood. Which raises one question: who sent the tsunami a few Decembers ago?
plainoldme

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 11:01 am
@BillW,
Well, if swung both ways that would make sense. After all, Jesus loved everyone!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 11:03 am
@realjohnboy,
You might notice that as soon as an okie posting appears, it has two thumbs up. Perhaps, okie, using his ican sock puppet, votes for himself.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 11:05 am
@plainoldme,
Eve's little liberal sister
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 11:20 am
The Earmark ban that Republicans so famously championed was a sham from day one.

Quote:
Cardinals say ban on earmarks is not forever
By Erik Wasson - 01/12/11 06:08 AM ET

Three Republican cardinals on the House Appropriations Committee say they view the ban on earmarks as temporary and that lawmakers should retain the right to direct spending to their districts.

None of the three spending-subcommittee chairmen have a specific timeframe or plan in mind to resume earmarks, but they said earmarking should be restored once the public has more confidence in the process.

“I don’t find a problem with me deciding that I want some of the money in the state and tribal assistance grants going to help a community in Idaho rebuild their water system,” said Rep. Mike Simpson (R-Idaho), the new chairman of the Interior and Environment spending subcommittee and a close friend of Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), who ushered in the new GOP rules.

“I can make that determination because I know that district better than somebody from the EPA,” he added.

House Republicans adopted a two-year moratorium on earmarks last year after a midterm election landslide won in part on a campaign promise of fiscal discipline. While earmarks represent a tiny fraction of government spending, they have been seen as a symbol of waste because of projects such as the so-called Bridge to Nowhere in Alaska.

The moratorium was adopted easily, but appropriators at the time chafed against the restrictions to their power. The comments from Simpson and other cardinals, made in separate interviews with The Hill, suggest the issue continues to simmer under the surface.

Commerce and Justice subcommittee Chairman Frank Wolf (R-Va.) said he believes the earmark moratorium should be temporary and that the blanket ban unfairly limits the ability of lawmakers to make policy.

As an example, he noted that he created the Iraq Study Group examining the Iraq war through a $1 million amendment to a foreign operations appropriations bill. Earmarking allowed Wolf to assign the task of organizing the study to the U.S. Institute of Peace and the Center for Strategic and International Studies to ensure it would be conducted fairly.

“I couldn’t say who would do the study now” under the earmark ban, Wolf said. He said that this year he wants to create an Afghanistan-Pakistan study group, but that with the earmark ban in place it will be up to the administration to decide who examines the problem-plagued war effort there.

Homeland Security subcommittee Chairman Robert Aderholt (R-Ala.) said he supports the earmark ban for now — until lawmakers figure out how best to reform the process.

“If you look at my past, I’ve always supported earmarks,” Aderholt said. “I’m not opposed to us putting a moratorium on it until we can get a better handle on how to address it.”

He said the problem with earmarks is that “I think that the American people have lost confidence in the way earmarks have been done here.”

Two other subpanel chairmen, commonly known as cardinals, didn’t go so far as to call the ban temporary, but did suggest it should come under further examination in the future.

“My view is when we look at earmarks, it is a constitutional responsibility to direct spending, but the perception is that it is something we shouldn’t be doing. I don’t know when or if we would do it again,” Rep. Ander Crenshaw (R-Fla.), the head of the Legislative Branch subcommittee, said. “Right now, they’re off the table … if it does come back there will have to be some further reforms.”

Transportation subcommittee Chairman Tom Latham (R-Iowa), another friend of Boehner’s, said that he supports the earmark ban “at this point.”

“I think there is a constitutional role for members of Congress to be able to decide where the federal government’s dollars go, and certainly members of Congress should have a role in that, but at this point I am very supportive of the moratorium,” he said. “We have got to send a message that this is not business as usual and we need to cut spending.”

Another cardinal said it would be up to the full GOP conference to determine the future of earmarks. Rep. Denny Rehberg (R-Mont.), the chairman of the Labor, Health and Human Services and Education subcommittee, declined to offer a personal opinion.

“Those kinds of decisions are made by the Republican Conference,” he emphasized.

Simpson said the GOP conference made a decision to ban earmarks for two years, and that he is supporting that decision. Still, he suggests, the inability to earmark will eventually make the practice popular again.

“But there is going to come a time when somebody’s going to need to do something in their district — totally appropriate — and they’re going to find that working with the agency is difficult because they might have a different view and they won’t be able to earmark money to do something that is totally appropriate to do,” Simpson said.

“What we have really done is turn authority over to the administrative branch of government, something we have been doing for 200 years, and I think it needs to stop and Congress needs to re-establish some of its authority. That means the ability to direct funding.”

Simpson said he looks forward to coming up with further reforms that might satisfy critics. But he noted that before the ban, he had to post earmarks on his website and sign financial disclosures and that earmarks had to be within already authorized programs, so it is hard to see what new reforms will work.

Source:
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/137391-cardinals-say-earmarks-ban-is-not-forever

Cycloptichorn
plainoldme

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 11:23 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Temporary -- sure, let's make all laws temporary.
BillW

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 03:41 pm
@plainoldme,
them ain't laws, they be rules
plainoldme

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:24 pm
@BillW,
Rules or laws, aren't they made to be broken? That seems to be the rallying cry of the right.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 04:45 pm
Reince Priebus of Wisconsin defeats Michael Steele and 3 other candidates for head of the RNC. It seems to me like a very good choice.
mysteryman

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 05:02 pm
@plainoldme,
No, but an occasional review of laws, to remove those laws that are archaic, or just plain stupid, is never a bad thing.
Aren't you the same person that believes the 2nd amendment is no longer needed.
Why don't you think other laws are equally irrelevant today.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 05:41 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
Reince Priebus of Wisconsin defeats Michael Steele and 3 other candidates for head of the RNC. It seems to me like a very good choice.
I have mixed emotions, because I still remember Steele's speech at the RNC a few years ago, in which I believe he far outperformed Obama's speech at the DNC that propelled Obama to prominence. It was all because the press trumped up Obama's speech as something special, but paid no attention to Steele.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 06:00 pm
Sure enough, Okie. Michael Steele was effective as RNC chairman, but he did make some mistakes that got him into trouble. Some were gaffes on his personal part but the RNC is something like $22M in debt.
Reince Priebus ran the table as head of the Wisconsin Republican party, engineering the winning of a number of races. He seems to know a goodly number of the candidates for the Repub race for president.
He also alluded to "reaching out" to others. The reports I read interpreted that to mean the Teaparty movement which I believe is critical to the party's success in 2012.
Thanks for engaging with me civilly.
okie

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 06:12 pm
@realjohnboy,
Although I like Michael Steele when I hear or see him talk, I have heard some of the same things about not managing the operation as well as should be. What the Republicans need is a well managed party.

As an aside, the last time they called me for money, which was maybe a week ago, I told them it is not time to keep giving them money, but it is now time for the new crop of Republicans to do their jobs and keep their promises. I pointed out that accomplishment would do far more to gain more support and more campaign money in the future than would more calls to ask for money.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 09:49 am
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
the RNC is something like $22M in debt.

Who does the RNC think they are? California?
okie

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 10:48 am
@parados,
From what you guys have been telling me about all the rich guys backing the RNC, such as the Koch Brothers, 22 mil should be no problem.
parados

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 02:46 pm
@okie,
Sure.. No reason to expect the Koch brother to follow the law.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 07:52 pm
@parados,
Chances are you've never heard of Charles and David Koch. The brothers own Koch Industries, a Kansas-based conglomerate that operates oil refineries in several states and is the company behind brands including Brawny paper towels, Dixie cups, Georgia-Pacific lumber, Lycra fibers and Stainmaster carpet. Forbes ranks Koch Industries as the second-largest privately held company in the U.S. — and the Koch brothers themselves? They're worth billions.

And in the past 30 years, they've funneled more than $100 million into dozens of political organizations, many of which are trying to steer the country in a more libertarian direction. Among the organizations they've backed are the Cato Institute, a Washington think tank that has recently raised questions about climate change, and the Mercatus Center at George Mason University in Virginia — which one Democratic strategist called "ground zero for deregulation policy in Washington."

The New Yorker
The Wall Street Journal nominated Jane Mayer twice for the Pulitzer Prize for feature writing.
The brothers also have created several neutral-sounding groups like Citizens for a Sound Economy — which staged media events to oppose President Clinton's proposed Btu tax on energy — and Citizens for the Environment, which called many environmental problems, including acid rain, "myths."

David Koch founded the group Americans for Prosperity Foundation, which has been linked to the Tea Party — training hundreds of activists in Texas and hosting talking points for Tea Party activists on its website.

Jane Mayer, a staff writer at The New Yorker, profiles the brothers and their political connections in the Aug. 30 issue of the magazine. Her article "Covert Operations" describes how the brothers' political interests "dovetail with [their] corporate interests."

In Their Own Words
Koch Industries Responds To Media Reports
On Thursday's Fresh Air, Mayer joins Terry Gross for a conversation about the Kochs' funding efforts, particularly what she describes as their broad and vigorous campaigns to manufacture grassroots political opinion. As she notes in the article, "the brothers have funded opposition campaigns against so many Obama administration policies — from health care reform to the economic-stimulus program — that, in political circles, their ideological network is known as the Kochtopus." (Koch Industries has responded to recent media coverage and Internet discussions with a set of "Koch Facts" published on its website.)

For more see: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129425186

Before joining The New Yorker, Mayer was the first female White House correspondent for The Wall Street Journal. She is also the author of the best-selling 2008 book The Dark Side: The Inside Story of How the War on Terror Turned Into a War on American Ideals.
okie

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 08:35 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Chances are you've never heard of Charles and David Koch. The brothers own Koch Industries, a Kansas-based conglomerate that operates oil refineries in several states and is the company behind brands including Brawny paper towels, Dixie cups, Georgia-Pacific lumber, Lycra fibers and Stainmaster carpet. Forbes ranks Koch Industries as the second-largest privately held company in the U.S. — and the Koch brothers themselves? They're worth billions.
Sounds like they produce some fairly worthwhile products. I use oil in my vehicles and paper products like paper towels, dixie cups, etc. Good for them! What does Soros do worthwhile, besides manage his investments and fund his political 527's.