"There will be blood".....and a loss of $20 bucks.

cyphercat

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 07:27 pm
jasonrest wrote:

Right to each his own, I agree.
What was the moral? or the point?

Well, I suppose you might say it was more of a character study than a story with a "moral" per se....I don't think I really look at movies in terms of what the moral was, you know? It's okay with me if a movie doesn't exactly have a specific "point," but is just a look at a time or series of events in someone's life, as long as it's well-written & acted and I enjoy the atmospheric elements, like the visuals, music, etc.

I guess I'd say one of the most central elements was just watching the conflict between these two men, Plainview and the young preacher, who are both kind of charismatic, manipulative, overbearing... That kind of character-driven stuff is compelling to me, but it's not everybody's cuppa, of course.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 07:52 pm
Bubba Ho-tep... or Saving the Green Planet (Jigureul jikyeora!)

now those are great date movies. (who's to judge, anyways? i'd have fun).
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 07:52 pm
cyphercat wrote:
jasonrest wrote:

Right to each his own, I agree.
What was the moral? or the point?

Well, I suppose you might say it was more of a character study than a story with a "moral" per se....I don't think I really look at movies in terms of what the moral was, you know? It's okay with me if a movie doesn't exactly have a specific "point," but is just a look at a time or series of events in someone's life, as long as it's well-written & acted and I enjoy the atmospheric elements, like the visuals, music, etc.

I guess I'd say one of the most central elements was just watching the conflict between these two men, Plainview and the young preacher, who are both kind of charismatic, manipulative, overbearing... That kind of character-driven stuff is compelling to me, but it's not everybody's cuppa, of course.

I can understand your appreciation of the acting in this movie which was profound. I am a huge D. Lewis fan and he was captivating in this movie, just as he always is in any other...

I guess I have just grown accustomed to a certain format in movies because besides the lack of a moral, or direction, it was a fabulous movie.
I am also not a big movie or television watcher.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 08:12 pm
Bubba Ho-Tep was FABULOUS!! I was expecting just a simple dumbass comedy (which it was, of course), but it also had some surprisingly good meditations on fun stuff like aging and mortality, in all those scenes where Bruce/Elvis is just laying in bed being morose...
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 08:22 pm
Bubba Ho-Tep!!!

Oh man, I love that movie!
0 Replies