"There will be blood".....and a loss of $20 bucks.

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 11:43 pm
I didn't detect any effort to update "Oil!" from the original Sinclair Lewis novel -- it was dissected and the vital parts removed, leaving the bare bones. There's an auteur synthetic style that didn't grip me and shake me up, it just kind of vibrated. It was still trying to look historic but it made me remember my worse history teachers in school who purposefully made the subject boring because they only thought that it was necessary. I was just sitting there wondering how Daniel Day Lewis was going to top each scene with the next scene. Well, I'm afraid it was trying to be like Ravel's "Bolero," relentless but, unfortunately, without any tempo and a coda which just simply died off instead of reaching a crescendo. It really reminded me of another Western which was shot with absolutely stunning cinematography -- give me awhile and I'll remember it. Oh, hmmm, I guess that's the point -- it's something engaging in its imagery making one forget that there really isn't any story being told, at least one that hasn't been done before a trillion times. I'll have difficulty remembering this movie.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 09:12 am
About the only things to remember about the movie are DD Lewis' performance and "death by bowling ball."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 09:29 am
Laughing The death by bowling ball was the tympani joining in.
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 02:55 pm
My favorite part was the beautiful tracking shot of when one of the oil well catches fire, and it follows DDL as he runs towards and away it to save his son. Paul Thomas Anderson is great with those.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 03:46 pm
jasonrest wrote:
"NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN" was brilliant but the ending made me want to harm myself.
Ooh, this worries me. I've been looking forward to seeing this one, too. I'll put away the knives first.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 04:19 pm
cyphercat wrote:
jasonrest wrote:
"NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN" was brilliant but the ending made me want to harm myself.
Ooh, this worries me. I've been looking forward to seeing this one, too. I'll put away the knives first.

Don't get me wrong it was a ******* awesome movie. I mean it was easily one of the year's best but again the ending just left you on a roller coaster at the top, no descent, no hands in the air and screaming, just credits rolling past signifying your departure.
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 11:27 am
cyphercat wrote:
jasonrest wrote:

It's one that you have to keep an open mind to. You have to let yourself think about the ending (and the scenes preceding it) after the movie, and what it meant in relation to the rest of the movie. It definitely is going to let down lots of casual moviegoers.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 12:58 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Lightwizard might be along momentarily to explain to you why you're wrong.

Momentarily does not mean presently.

And presently does not mean now.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 01:15 pm
Jonsey wrote:
cyphercat wrote:
jasonrest wrote:

It's one that you have to keep an open mind to. You have to let yourself think about the ending (and the scenes preceding it) after the movie, and what it meant in relation to the rest of the movie. It definitely is going to let down lots of casual moviegoers.

I agree.
I am sure there is more to the film, that went over my head because I am
a casual moviegoer. Even though the ending leaves me begging for a climax or tie off...anything, I still think it was very well done.

Tell me what did I miss?
How is it that you are pleased with the ending, when the story is abandoned midway?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 01:30 pm
McTag wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Lightwizard might be along momentarily to explain to you why you're wrong.

Momentarily does not mean presently.

And presently does not mean now.

Hey, look ... the grammar police have arrived.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/2205/39186158inlineskate203gz1.jpg
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/2205/39186158inlineskate203gz1.ffa783e283.jpg
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 02:24 pm
You better believe it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 08:56 am
Oil" was a book with acircuitous route that, to me, centered more around the several lives of the "oil patch" and was more involved in thge labor movements common in the early decades of the 20th century. The movie, couldnt figure out where it wanted to go. It left so much unresolved . It was a loose stringing together of violent acts. I did like the rattling bones sound track and the wide angle camera work of the oil fire.Everyone was running about like ants, and the triggering the explosives was really believable 9from a technical perspective) I know the fire hadda be staged because it would have been a natural disaster to torch a pressured well.

The rest of the movie merely displayed the destructive ego of Lewis character.

Iwas overall , disappointed.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 09:04 am
I finally rented and watched this movie with my wife. It was tiresome and weird, and I'm sure glad I didn't pay the theatre price to see it.

This is the second or third movie I've seen hailed as a "masterpiece" and "classic" in the last few months that left me angry for wasting my time. Not entertaining, not informative, not inspiring. Just CRAP.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 09:33 am
I got it through Netflix so it ran me about 1 buck. So we could have spent the remaining 19 on gas to get to the mall. Very Happy
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 09:53 am
snood wrote:
I finally rented and watched this movie with my wife. It was tiresome and weird, and I'm sure glad I didn't pay the theatre price to see it.

This is the second or third movie I've seen hailed as a "masterpiece" and "classic" in the last few months that left me angry for wasting my time. Not entertaining, not informative, not inspiring. Just CRAP.

Your opinion is obviously wrong. After all, Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 91%.

[/sarky git]
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 10:22 am
well, go see it you meshuga meshpuschen vogeldupen. SOme of the scenery from the unf**ked up area in S California was interesting. Just like out of a CAlifornia Impressionist painting.
The rest was drek.

Plus it was about 2.54 hours , or in lawyer math, about 2 full billing days
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 12:42 pm
snood wrote:

I didn't have the nerve to say how I really felt about the movie, being that some film buff would clap me on the back of the neck, but snood does, so I'll stand behind him echoing.......YEAH! Pure Crap!
0 Replies

CoriCori

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 11:48 am
dadpad wrote:
??? errm........ which movie?

LOL! Yeah, I was making myself the same question...
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 06:34 pm
Well, finally saw it; I liked it. Couldn't see how the ending was a problem, either...huh! Ah well, to each their own, eh...
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 06:53 pm
cyphercat wrote:
Well, finally saw it; I liked it. Couldn't see how the ending was a problem, either...huh! Ah well, to each their own, eh...

Right to each his own, I agree.
What was the moral? or the point?
0 Replies