"There will be blood".....and a loss of $20 bucks.

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 11:53 am
That's why the franchise is pretty successful, but I know a lot of women who also loved the Bourne trilogy even with the violence. I don't think it was just the draw of Matt Damien -- it was a spy thriller that was executed (!) with the best action sequences ever committed to film. I saw the third one at the theater and there were a lot of couples, young and old.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 11:59 am
jasonrest wrote:

The whole "bite me" thing caused me to write you off as a douche and now I've come to see that we have the same opinions, only you express them ten times better.

See how quickly you write people off jasonrest? After only 2 words. You'd do well to investigate lightwizards background in movies before passing judgement. The wise do not pass judgement too quickly, and often disguise themselves as fooles.

In the same way, someday you will learn to admire the grand person who is Chai.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 11:59 am
jasonrest wrote:
eoe wrote:
Interesting question. What makes for a good date movie?
I've been thinking about it and the only one to come to mind at the moment is "Oceans 13". The guys will appreciate the movie's action while the women get that plus the added bonus of eyeballing some of the hottest men on the planet. That's the kind of movie that can send most any couple home for a little action of their own, right?
A good date movie.
Shocked

Why the bug-eyes jason?
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 12:05 pm
eoe wrote:
jasonrest wrote:
eoe wrote:
Interesting question. What makes for a good date movie?
I've been thinking about it and the only one to come to mind at the moment is "Oceans 13". The guys will appreciate the movie's action while the women get that plus the added bonus of eyeballing some of the hottest men on the planet. That's the kind of movie that can send most any couple home for a little action of their own, right?
A good date movie.
Shocked

Why the bug-eyes jason?

I respect your opinion and at least you came up with an answer for the date movie question but I abhor that movie it's earlier versions and any others similar to it.

Those bug-eyes were not for effect, I was sincerely shocked but again, at least you came up with something to appeal to both genders.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 12:12 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Sorry the "bite me" wasn't intended for you -- the would be master baiter it was intended for knows who he is.

Moi?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 12:12 pm
jasonrest wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:
Thanks for the support -- it, of course, doesn't mean I always will agree with every assessment of a movie and I don't even reply to one-liner reviews that merely state the movie is crap or whatever. If you can't explain why it is crap, don't bother, 'cause you obviously don't know.

Of course we wont agree on everything but when I was told that "Lightwizard" will be here soon to set me on the right path, I was thinking some pretentious film buff was going to explain why my mind could not grasp the intricacies of this film. I was actually hoping for it. So, I could explain the suckability of the movie.

Instead you also had issues with the film and you seem to know more about movies than I so.....it's comforting to know that I'm not insane

Eh ... I had a 50/50 chance here.

And he is a pretentious film buff.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 12:14 pm
LET MORTAL KOMBAT BEGIN!!!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 12:15 pm
What movies have you enjoyed Jason? Not just date movies, but something you came away feeling that the entertainment was fine for the money.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 12:36 pm
So saith the pretentious would be master baiter.

Green Witch, I'd like to know what movies one has loved that their dates concurred. That is, if the date wasn't faking it.

Really not much different than, "Do I look fat in this dress."
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 12:40 pm
Green Witch wrote:
What movies have you enjoyed Jason? Not just date movies, but something you came away feeling that the entertainment was fine for the money.

ummmm, ok.

The "BOURNE" series.
"NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN" was brilliant but the ending made me want to harm myself.
"BORAT" one of the funniest movies ever. Cohen is a genius.
"GANGS OF NEW YORK" Daniel Lewis is the ****.
"THE USUAL SUSPECTS" Kevin Spacey.....definitely a real actor.
"A TIME TO KILL"
"40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN" in my mind dead tie with "BORAT".
"BRAVEHEART"
"SUPERBAD" comes in second behind the other two comedies.
"THE DEPARTED" Awesome, just awesome.

Some "chick flicks" that I actually enjoyed and own...
"40 DAYS and 40 Nights"
"GOOD WILL HUNTING"....not really a chick flick but whatever....this movie changed my life.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 12:48 pm
A few movies I remember agreeing with my date (or now husband} that we liked:

The Return of Martin Guerre -(sp.?}
The Spanish Prisoner
Lord of The Rings
Road Warrior
Shakespeare in Love
Cinema Paradisio -(sp.?}
Bull Durham
A Walk on The Moon - very good "date movie"
The Princess Bride
Raiders of The Lost Ark
Gladiator
Jean de Florette & Mannon of the Spring
Roger & Me
The Real Dirt on Farmer John
Like Water for Chocolate
Babette's Feast
Ridicule - a French film from a few years back
Hairspray
Into The Wild
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 12:50 pm
Very good list, jasonrest, except I tried to watch "Braveheart" again and I don't know if it's my acquired bad taste for Mr. Gibson or what, but I thought it was maybe just a notch over mediocre as far as historical dramas.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 12:52 pm
Green Witch wrote:
A few movies I remember agreeing with my date (or now husband} that we liked:

The Return of Martin Guerre -(sp.?}
The Spanish Prisoner
Lord of The Rings
Road Warrior
Shakespeare in Love
Cinema Paradisio -(sp.?}
Bull Durham
A Walk on The Moon - very good "date movie"
The Princess Bride
Raiders of The Lost Ark
Gladiator
Jean de Florette & Mannon of the Spring
Roger & Me
The Real Dirt on Farmer John
Like Water for Chocolate
Babette's Feast
Ridicule - a French film from a few years back
Hairspray
Into The Wild

What a pretentious film buff list that is. Laughing
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 12:55 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Very good list, jasonrest, except I tried to watch "Braveheart" again and I don't know if it's my acquired bad taste for Mr. Gibson or what, but I thought it was maybe just a notch over mediocre as far as historical dramas.

I despise the media and the way they manipulate things.
I am not excusing Mel for his comments, they were rude and unacceptable but Holy ****, I assure you there are other things going on in the world besides this.

In spite of himself......I loved Apocalypto, Braveheart and one other I can't think of, with the same theme.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 01:03 pm
Lightwizard wrote:

What a pretentious film buff list that is. Laughing

Really? I didn't mean it to be. I usually look at reviews and pick what sounds interesting me. I'm not the kind of person who enjoys violence or modern evil, so I look for lighter fare. Sex is fine, but not rape. I prefer movies to be bloodless, but that is hard to find nowadays. My ideal movie is when the women wear crinolines or kirtles, the men are good looking, no animals or children get hurt and the ending is a happy one.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 01:08 pm
It's not just because of the incident in Malibu -- I've been out to the same pubs and clubs for years as a friend in the industry lives in The Colony, and I don't really have to state that Mel knows how to down the booze. I like "Apocalypto" but I don't believe it is a film I will want to see again. I hated "The Slashin' of the Christ" and the second-rate flicks he's been in since he got the Oscar. I can't even think of them right now as they were so forgettable.

Oooops, I forgot "They Were Soldiers" which was good but not because of Gibson.

His brand of antique Christian fundamentalism went out with the Baby Boomers and I've been waiting until he declares himself a Scientologist.

Green Witch -- not meant to be an offense to you. Read back a few posts in this thread and you will see why there is a

Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 07:05 pm
ooooo.....Babette's Feast......(clapping hand in delight)

I loved that movie.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 07:58 pm
My take on the film is that it's a good film if you can appreciate an actor taking a mediocre script and turning it into his own personal tour de force.

Did DD Lewis chew the scenery? Yes but if he hadn't we would have been left with only the scenery to watch. The themes of the film were simplistic and may have played well in the 20s when Oil was written but they seem quite dated as presented here. I enjoyed watching Lewis but the film itself had little substance because there was only one character fleshed out.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 08:08 pm
parados wrote:
My take on the film is that it's a good film if you can appreciate an actor taking a mediocre script and turning it into his own personal tour de force.

Did DD Lewis chew the scenery? Yes but if he hadn't we would have been left with only the scenery to watch. The themes of the film were simplistic and may have played well in the 20s when Oil was written but they seem quite dated as presented here. I enjoyed watching Lewis but the film itself had little substance because there was only one character fleshed out.

Turns out I was right.
It's sad really?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 10:24 pm
Tombstone
Maverick
The Unforgiven
Shawshank Redemption
The Matador
0 Replies