What war does to troops; they throw puppies off of cliffs

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 02:48 pm
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=4329210

To balance it out.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 03:20 pm
So hundreds of thousands of Iraqis get killed, because Dubya lied, and good ol' American boys like wasting "towelhead" women and kids, and you all get upset about a puppy?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 03:35 pm
Yup.

You make it so simple.

Rolling Eyes

Can't people be disgusted by both? Or is that not allowed?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 03:38 pm
contrex wrote:
So hundreds of thousands of Iraqis get killed, because Dubya lied, and good ol' American boys like wasting "towelhead" women and kids, and you all get upset about a puppy?

I get upset about human horror, and animal horror.

Horribly dead and traumatized humans don't make the puppy incident better, or worse.

Just as a horribly dead puppy does not make human carnage better or worse.

I suspect people allow in the distress about one puppy, or one child, or one anything, and that we defend ourselves from the reality of the magnitude of human and animal suffering.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 06:33 am
Bella- Thanks, I knew we were a better species than what this thread implied.

PS, excellent job on contrex, no response can top it.
"CAnt we do both?"
thats gotta be a featured sig line
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 06:49 am
It was the relative emphasis that I was commenting on.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 07:03 am
whatever
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 07:32 am
If this creep is willing to do this on video, imagine what he is doing when the camera is off. This is a symptom, it just hints at the deep sickness that lurks inside. This guy is going to come back to the states at some point, and who knows what or whom will be his next victim. He is a disgrace to the all he represents and should be punished as such.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 07:52 am
Sure, it was disgusting. But this incident has nothing to do with the fact that this man is a soldier. He is a sick individual, who probably tortured animals as a kid.

One of the hallmarks of an anti-social character disorder, is that there is often a history of childhood cruelty to animals.

Quote:
Although antisocial personality disorder cannot be formally diagnosed before age 18, three markers for the disorder, known as the MacDonald Triad, can be found in some children. These are, a longer-than-usual period of bedwetting, cruelty to animals, and pyromania[10].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder

I don't know if this guy had the "triad", but I would bet that he did. Also, it is not a tremendous leap of imagination that people who have anti-social personality disorders would enjoy being in a profession where they could kill people with impunity.

That is not to say that all, or even many soldiers are sociopaths. But I would expect to find a statistically significant amount of people who have anti-social personality disorders in the military.

My point is that as awful as what the guy did, IMO it was not because he was a soldier, or that he was in a war. It was because he had a character disorder.

I also think that BBB's title "What war does to troops; they throw puppies off of cliffs", is totally off the mark. It is simply being used as a means to fortify a preconceived agenda on the part of BBB.
0 Replies