Dumps Like Heavy

Mame

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:08 pm
Yeah, dag, I think I must be a guy, too. I'm actually looking for advice when I vent. How to deal with this or that. What was that person thinking? Where were they coming from? What did they really want? Why would they do that?

One of my sisters is the same, but the others just want to vent it out. My ex loves to solve problems and so do I so we would listen to each other, provide support, then offer practical suggestions. We still do that together. I like to hear another point of view and sometimes their advice is nothing I would have come up with - even if it's just a perspective difference.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:13 pm
Chum:

It takes practice, it took me a couple of marriages and many several relationships to learn to shut up and listen rather than to start formulating plans.

Learn to say "gosh" "wow" and "oh man." softly, you're listening but the problems being described as NOT yours.

What she is doing is listening to herself review her circumstances. Unless she asks, do not offer any advice.

IF she asks, offer suggestions, ask what she thinks of an idea, don't say "Here what you do."

Joe(Let me know if you want to know the secret to buying her a gift.)Nation
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:19 pm
Yah! Let me know the secret to buying her a gift.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:19 pm
Agreeing with Dag, oh, no, not again.

I'm fixit queen/person in distress who won't tell you her own stuff until she works it out, who has also learned, mostly, to just listen and not express bromides.

The heart of the matter is that some people talk too much, and are missing shut-up now monitors. Might or might not be from nobody listening before.
Sort of like when you visit old people and they go on and on (a pattern I understand more now).

Some, of course, go on and on for good reason. But some, past that. Once in a while, I've been that someone, so I see both, or more than both, viewpoints.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:41 pm
hold your fire till you have a target
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 06:12 am
dagmaraka wrote:
I think I'm probably a guy..... either that, or i don't buy this whole male-female division. i think most of my female friends tend to be, like me, problem solvers- that's why we're friends i guess. i don't enjoy long venting chats if they are not aimed at constructive resolution. i'm pretty much an introvert. and i guess growing up with family therapist i was brought up that way - to problem solve. and maybe it's partially also a cultural thing, though we do have the same stereotypes about women. dunno, i guess i just don't see it divided like that around me, not in the U.S. either. especially since i have a few male friends who DO love to share and vent (if A. calls, i only pick up if i'm 'ready' for the conversation, and usually i'm not, so i call back when i am...) and most of my female friends do not.

I'm not married and as a result, I've become more reserved and reliant on myself, therefore I don't vent a lot and I attempt to ride out some of my trouble spots/anxieties quietly (this has not always been the case).

I do think marriage encourages the points Chumly has raised. Have you ever been on the receiving end of conversation with a woman in the middle of planning her wedding? She's incapable of talking about anything else.

Or, I have an acquaintence who I see at the pool where I swim who is now pregnant and inevitably all the conversation comes round to her.

The news alert is-- it's not all about them, but it gives them a chance to step out of ordinary life albeit, briefly, while maintaining their traditional role in the contract of marriage culture.

I think this is where the venting thing comes from, as well.
0 Replies