Is the press trying to get him killed??

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 01:35 am
dlowan wrote:

Looks as though we can assume that the Islamic fundamentalist media-watchers do NOT read "New Idea", but DO follow Drudge.

Well, I'm not that sure ...

In today's The Observer
Quote:
According to a report to be published on the magazine Newsweek's website, Taliban intelligence knew of the prince's presence, despite the media blackout, and its deputy commander, Mullah Abdul Karim, had received an urgent message from Taliban intelligence in late December or early January that 'an important chicken' had joined British troops in his area of operations. Karim sent his men hunting for the prince. 'He is our special enemy,' he said. 'Our first option was to capture him and the second, to kill him.'

Newsweek: The Prince and The Taliban
Quote:

Despite the british government's concerted effort to preserve the secret, a veteran Taliban field officer claims he was scarcely surprised by the disclosure that Prince Harry was serving with Britain's troops in southern Afghanistan. Fearing that insurgents would specifically target Cornet Wales (the prince's military title) and his fellow soldiers if his presence in the battle zone were publicly revealed, the top British brass did everything possible to prevent leaks about his deployment on Dec. 14 to Helmand province. But talking to newsweek via satellite phone from that region last week, deputy commander Mullah Abdul Karim recalled getting an urgent message from Taliban intelligence in late December or early January that "an important chicken" had joined British troops in his area of operations. Karim promptly sent his men hunting for the prince. "He is our special enemy," says Karim. "Our first option was to capture him as a prisoner, and the second, to kill him."
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 11:10 am
Quote:
So are you saying that the BBC was wrong when they said an Australian magazine broke the story first?

No, I was simplifying the chain of events.

Neither the Australian Tabloid nor the Drudge Report are representative of "the press" or "the media".
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 03:53 am
Re: Is the press trying to get him killed??
eoe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
The press must be trying to get him killed.

No, just hot for the scoop, at all costs. And this is why journalists,
like lawyers, are no longer as respected as in the past.

In your choice of Joe Blow, Esq.,
whose history shows him to be more likely to win your case
or
John Smith, Esq., who is more respected,
who 'd u hire ?
David
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 04:46 am
OmSigDAVID wrote:
eoe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

or
who 'd u hire ?
David

So, by your "logic" I suppose you'd read the more popular rag, and exchew the more respected one?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 12:54 pm
snood wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
eoe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

or
who 'd u hire ?
David

So, by your "logic" I suppose you'd read the more popular rag, and exchew the more respected one?

Both of the alternatives that u offer
concern the opinions of other people.

I will be guided in my choices by MY estimates of merit.
David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 12:56 pm
I hope that eoe will address my question.

David
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 01:08 pm
I believe they broke the story because he's a celebrity and it's a scoop-- they generate lots of revenue with celebrity stories and Harry serving in Afghanistan is pretty interesting.

I heard he really liked being over there-- this was reported after the initial story broke. He liked it because it was the first time in his life where he didn't have to worry about appearances. They gave one example of his not showering for 4 days straight...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 07:23 am
If the press got him killed,
then it cud write about THAT.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 09:24 am
dlowan wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
I totally agree with you, on this one, MM. Unfortunately, the press is so absorbed with breaking stories etc. that they neither care nor regard the consequences for individuals involved.

I wasn't a fan of Harry because of some of his earlier antics. Especially the wearing of the Nazi unform thing. However, I have gained a profound respect for the young man for his current endeavours with the ten weeks on the lines.

I saw an interview with him prior to his return to England and I was impressed with the maturity and down to earth qualities of this young man. He is, indeed, his mother's son.

Don't know if "New Idea", which became a totally unprincipled scandal rag some decades ago, can be considered "The Press".

I have no idea. I used the word press because that is the word that was used as the heading for the topic. Do you disagree with my post, or my use of the word press?

More expressing disgust at that type of publication.

Scandal rags make me sick.

Me too.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 11:20 am
OmSigDAVID wrote:
I will be guided in my choices by MY estimates of merit.
David

Me too. Smile
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 11:28 am
Well, if it was someone's intention to get him back to the UK, for whatever reason, it did it without anyone accusing him of getting special treatment.

As a Prince, one has many Princely duties that requires one to be here or there. It might not be as bad as in King Arthur's time, when a Prince might have had to decide if another visiting Prince was really a frog made Prince by a magician. But, still there are things a Prince must do that requires him to move along, rather than spend a full period of time at a duty assignment; that's for the "subjects" to do. Like he's a Prince, not a subject.

And, then again this story in the media could be just an innocent bit of foolishness, since not everyone thinks as well as posters on A2K.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 11:46 am
If a magician can turn a frog into a prince,
then it might be more convenient to send the frog
to Afganistan and leave the other one in the better comforts of England.

Don 't u think ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 11:48 am
Maybe the magician can turn Laden into a frog
and end the whole military expedition.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 03:17 pm
Magazine apologizes for revealing Prince Harry's combat role

Quote:
An Australian magazine apologized Monday to readers and troops serving abroad for publishing a story revealing that Prince Harry was fighting with British troops in Afghanistan.

New Idea magazine said when it ran the story in January it was unaware of an agreement between the British Ministry of Defense and major news organizations not to disclose Harry's deployment to protect the 23-year-old prince and his fellow soldiers.
[...]
"We did not knowingly breach any embargo and were not party to any agreement for a media blackout on the story," the magazine said. "However, and more importantly, we do acknowledge that our actions in publishing the story can be reasonably viewed as insensitive and irresponsible."
[...]
New Idea is a celebrity and lifestyle magazine with a monthly circulation of about 390,000 copies. A magazine spokesman did not immediately return calls on Monday

Apology fit for prince:
Quote:
The rare apology follows a management shake-up last week that saw the editor-in-chief and the editor removed and a senior executive installed to oversee the troubled women's magazine.
0 Replies