Is the press trying to get him killed??

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 08:40 am
There have been many news reports here in the US and overseas about the fact that Prince Harry was serving on the front lines in Afghanistan.

The press must be trying to get him killed.

Once the news broke, that made him an instant target for every taliban fighter, because that would have been a major coup for the taliban, to kill or capture him.
It also endangered the rest of the men in his unit, because they would have been in the line of fire also.

Fox is reporting this morning that Harry has been returned to England,for the safety of himself and his unit.

Why would the press knowingly report something like that, instead of letting him serve without being noticed?

This seems like complete and total irresponsibility by the press, and its another example of why the press is losing credibility.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,140 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 08:53 am
I agree. It was utter stupidity to make Harry's presence in a war zone public. I am all for "freedom of the press", but I think that any freedom carries with it a responsibility.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 09:03 am
There was a world media embargo on publication of this news until The Drudge report listed it on their website.

Most media outlets were informed prior to his deployment and agreed not to publish.

I understand 1 article had appeared in English New Idea (a womens magazine) some time ago. the editor concerned had not bothered to check with British high command if the artical was factual. The Drudge Report picked it up from New Idea and broke the embargo.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 09:11 am
dadpad wrote:
There was a world media embargo on publication of this news until The Drudge report listed it on their website.

But Drudge didnt break the story.
It was first broken by a magazine in Australia.

Quote:
The BBC's media correspondent Torin Douglas said it was surprising the agreement held for so long, as an Australian magazine and website published the story in January

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/7269743.stm

I am not excusing the irresponsibility of the Drudge report, but they didnt break the story.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 09:39 am
My information was that it was english new idea.

I was wrong.

Irresponsble of Pacific Publications to allow this artical to go to press. even without knowledge of an embargo it must have occored to them that this would result in the kid being targetted.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/02/29/2176274.htm

Won't say how they came by the story.

Hmmmmm. conspircy to break the embargo using a bit player by the worlds media barons?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 09:46 am
Re: Is the press trying to get him killed??
mysteryman wrote:
The press must be trying to get him killed.

No, just hot for the scoop, at all costs. And this is why journalists, like lawyers, are no longer as respected as in the past.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 09:54 am
Ahhhh!

"The firm" wanted him to spend as little time as possible in the front lines then pull him out. Can't be accused of special treatment now he's spent a few weeks in a war zone.

Publication of the story gives them (The Firm aka the royal family) a reason to bring him home without loss of face.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 09:57 am
It sure could be a good way to get the allies to ante up more troops for Afghanistan if such a story were to leak out.

Nah, politicians wouldn't think like that would they?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 10:03 am
geez. my hubby said that it may all have been a ploy but...
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 10:42 am
I totally agree with you, on this one, MM. Unfortunately, the press is so absorbed with breaking stories etc. that they neither care nor regard the consequences for individuals involved.

I wasn't a fan of Harry because of some of his earlier antics. Especially the wearing of the Nazi unform thing. However, I have gained a profound respect for the young man for his current endeavours with the ten weeks on the lines.

I saw an interview with him prior to his return to England and I was impressed with the maturity and down to earth qualities of this young man. He is, indeed, his mother's son.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 12:29 pm
Intrepid wrote:
II wasn't a fan of Harry because of some of his earlier antics. Especially the wearing of the Nazi unform thing. However, I have gained a profound respect for the young man for his current endeavours with the ten weeks on the lines.

This is how I felt as well.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 01:14 pm
NYT's story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/01/business/media/01harry.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin

Young men are the hope of the future. This doesn't mean that they can't be spectacularly stupid. Most young men aren't in the public spotlight.

Harry has been exposed as a stupid young man--and as a willing hero.

Good for him.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 01:38 pm
His code name was "bullet magnet."

I'm actually pretty impressed that this was kept under wraps for as long as it was.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 02:33 pm
Look, folks.

Drudge was the one who ignored the agreement to keep silence.

Don't blame the entire American press.

Mr. Drudge is not a particularly honorable man. He exists because he panders successfully to millions of Americans. I'm sure some of his fans post on A2K.

Where is Pogo when you need him?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 05:39 pm
Intrepid wrote:
I totally agree with you, on this one, MM. Unfortunately, the press is so absorbed with breaking stories etc. that they neither care nor regard the consequences for individuals involved.

I wasn't a fan of Harry because of some of his earlier antics. Especially the wearing of the Nazi unform thing. However, I have gained a profound respect for the young man for his current endeavours with the ten weeks on the lines.

I saw an interview with him prior to his return to England and I was impressed with the maturity and down to earth qualities of this young man. He is, indeed, his mother's son.

Don't know if "New Idea", which became a totally unprincipled scandal rag some decades ago, can be considered "The Press".
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 05:47 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Look, folks.

Drudge was the one who ignored the agreement to keep silence.

Don't blame the entire American press.

Mr. Drudge is not a particularly honorable man. He exists because he panders successfully to millions of Americans. I'm sure some of his fans post on A2K.

Where is Pogo when you need him?

So are you saying that the BBC was wrong when they said an Australian magazine broke the story first?

Read my link and you will see exactly that.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 10:01 pm
dlowan wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Don't know if "New Idea", which became a totally unprincipled scandal rag some decades ago, can be considered "The Press".

I have no idea. I used the word press because that is the word that was used as the heading for the topic. Do you disagree with my post, or my use of the word press?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 12:53 am
Intrepid wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

I have no idea. I used the word press because that is the word that was used as the heading for the topic. Do you disagree with my post, or my use of the word press?

More expressing disgust at that type of publication.

Scandal rags make me sick.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 01:13 am
mysteryman wrote:

So are you saying that the BBC was wrong when they said an Australian magazine broke the story first?

No.

mysteryman's BBC-quote wrote:
The BBC's media correspondent Torin Douglas said it was surprising the agreement held for so long, as an Australian magazine and website published the story in January.

But it was only when it appeared on the influential US political website, The Drudge Report, that the agreement broke down, our correspondent said.

Well, Harry Windsor isn't just another second lieutenant from a privileged background.

Replace "Harry Windsor" with, say "James McCain" and imagine his dad is president. Now imagine Drudge had leaked the location and unit of said presidential son on deployment in Iraq. Can you imagine the outrage? Drudge would be finished, if not in jail.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 01:17 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

No.

mysteryman's BBC-quote wrote:
The BBC's media correspondent Torin Douglas said it was surprising the agreement held for so long, as an Australian magazine and website published the story in January.

But it was only when it appeared on the influential US political website, The Drudge Report, that the agreement broke down, our correspondent said.

Well, Harry Windsor isn't just another second lieutenant from a privileged background.

Replace "Harry Windsor" with, say "James McCain" and imagine his dad is president. Now imagine Drudge had leaked the location and unit of said presidential son on deployment in Iraq. Can you imagine the outrage? Drudge would be finished, if not in jail.

Looks as though we can assume that the Islamic fundamentalist media-watchers do NOT read "New Idea", but DO follow Drudge.
0 Replies