Is John McCain Suffering from Alzheimer's?

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 09:07 am
That seems to be the only logical explanation. Either that, or he has been slamming them down with the Liar-in-Chief.

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/McCain_slips_up_Im_proud_liberal_0229.html

McCain's Freudian Slip: 'I'm a proud ... liberal ...'
David Edwards and Nick Juliano
Published: Friday February 29, 200

Did John McCain confirm the worst fears of Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter at a campaign stop in Texas this week?

The Arizona Republican, who caught plenty of flak from his party's most vocal conservatives during the presidential primary campaign, slipped up in a speech to supporters Thursday, when he was trying to outline the differences between himself and the to-be-decided Democratic nominee.

"I'm a proud conservative, liberal Repub -- uh, conservative Republican," McCain said, trying to stuff his Freudian slip back into his mouth.

"Hello, easy there," McCain said to laughs from the crowd. "Let me say this: I am a proud conservative Republican, and both of my possible, likely opponents are liberal Democrats."

McCain went on to note Barack Obama's ranking as National Journal's most liberal Senator for 2007, previewing what will likely be an oft-repeated refrain if the Illinois Senator scores the Democratic nomination. The ranking's methodology has been questioned elsewhere, but similar attacks were seen to have damaged John Kerry in 2004 after he received the same No. 1 ranking from the inside-the-beltway policy journal.

The "proud ... liberal" slip wasn't McCain's only brush with what Freud might say was an inadvertent revelation of his subconscious thoughts. Early in the speech, railing against negative campaign ads, McCain said the following:

"I want to assure you that ... I will conduct a respectful debate. Now, it'll be dispirited -- it'll be spirited -- because there are stark differences."

This video is from ABCNews.com, broadcast February 28, 2008.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,048 • Replies: 50
No top replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 10:35 am
Is John McCain Suffering from Alzheimer's?

No more so than when Obama or any other candidate misspeaks.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 11:26 am
Re: Is John McCain Suffering from Alzheimer's?
Roxxxanne wrote:
That seems to be the only logical explanation.
Quote:

McCain- Alzheimer's? Morally or just mentally?

Quote:
Either that, or he has been slamming them down with the Liar-in-Chief.

I doubt that McCain would ever be stupid enough to be seen drinking with Clinton. People say he's a Democrat enough as it is.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 11:41 am
Huh? What was freudian about that?
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 12:19 pm
Coolwhip wrote:
Huh? What was freudian about that?

He's just back on his straight talk express and decided to tell the truth for a change.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 07:25 pm
I'm used to connoting a freudian slip to something sexual, as this is what most people think Freud was only about. I've never really heard someone talk about a freudian slip in a non-sexual way before. It's not wrong, just unusual maybe.
Maybe.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 07:41 pm
rox

I gotta tell ya...I don't like this sort of suggestion or thread at all. It's deeply unfair and constitutes an unconscionable smear. I don't know how many times per day I mis-speak, but it's a few. To suggest a diagnosis of Alzheimers from these two instances (or three or four or eight) is morally and intellectually ugly. You didn't write it, I know. But you ought not to have posted it.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 07:43 pm
Nothing compared to the republicans, who found wrinkles on Hillary and concluded she was too old and frail for office. Matter of national security I was told.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 08:09 pm
McCain it too old, plus he has a history of cancer. His VP pick will be one of the most important in history. Somebody should have talked him out of this foolishness three years ago.
0 Replies

jeafl

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 09:35 pm
blatham wrote:
rox

I gotta tell ya...I don't like this sort of suggestion or thread at all. It's deeply unfair and constitutes an unconscionable smear. I don't know how many times per day I mis-speak, but it's a few. To suggest a diagnosis of Alzheimers from these two instances (or three or four or eight) is morally and intellectually ugly. You didn't write it, I know. But you ought not to have posted it.

Why would you misspeak regarding things you feel passionately about? Shouldn't McCain political identify be part of his core existence, i.e., something that is so ingrained in him that he would never misspeak about it?
0 Replies

jeafl

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 09:41 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
McCain it too old, plus he has a history of cancer. His VP pick will be one of the most important in history. Somebody should have talked him out of this foolishness three years ago.

Most delegates at the 1980 Republican National Convention believed that the person they chose as the VP running mate would finish Reagan's term. No one really thought Reagan would live out 1 term, let alone 2. The fact that he survived 8 years in office on top of being shot and having cancer is utterly amazing.

As vigorous as McCain seems to be I'd say he will lose his mental faculties long before his physical health gives out. This would put the 25th Amendment in motion and we will have an acting president. And if McCain tries to fight it, the constitutional crisis will make 2000 look like child's play.

But, then I still wouldn't be surprise if a stop McCain movement doesn't develop at the convention. The way the man treats his supposed friends makes me flabbergasted that anyone would support him.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 10:12 pm
blatham wrote:
rox

Good for you Bernie. She had a right to post it, but no right to expect that reasonable people would accept it without comment. Moreover the double standard here is itself laughably offensive.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 11:43 am
If every sentence of a candidate is parsed, and no verbal gaffes are ever uttered, would we be seeing a candidate that was human? Even Moses on Mount Sinai asked the burning bush, is that you? Who else would it be, and as a burning bush yet? My point is, give John McCain a little slack. He being so patriotic and American, might have just had the remnants of the proverbial "mom's apple pie" in his mouth. That can cause verbal gaffes.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 04:03 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
blatham wrote:
rox

Good for you Bernie. She had a right to post it, but no right to expect that reasonable people would accept it without comment. Moreover the double standard here is itself laughably offensive.

Reasonable people without a sense of humor.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 04:04 pm
blatham wrote:
rox

LOL It's not as bad as him fathering a black baby, now is it?

Has MCain released his medical records?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 04:13 pm
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2007/09/04/post_56.html

McCain Not Sure on "LGBT" Issues

When a student at Concord High School asked John McCain if he would die or get Alzheimer's disease while in office because he of his age, the 71-year-old Arizona Senator took the question seriously at first, noting "I work 24/7, I'm very active, and people will judge by the rigor and enthusiasm of our campaign" Then, he added in a McCain-like touch. "And thanks for your question, you little jerk," McCain joked, as a crowd of a several hundred in a packed auditorium laughed. He paused, then added "you're drafted."

The candidate may have thought he had taken his most hostile question. But the high school students at Concord didn't seem to be suffering from any lack of enthusiasm or guts as they queried the presidential candidate in their midst. Another student asked McCain what he would do on "LGBT" issues and on "workers' rights?"

McCain, paused, confused by the question. Someone in the crowd shouted out "lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender." "I had not heard that phrase before," McCain said of LGBT. (It's a mark of the different planets the candidates from the two parties live on that McCain said this. Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and John Edwards have long lists of "LGBT" supporters they've sent to reporters across the country).

McCain then explained that while he opposed discrimination, he also felt marriage was between a man and a woman and noted he supported the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy on gays in the military.The student, a junior named William Sleaster, then persisted, asking the candidate if he supported gay marriage or civil unions. McCain said "I do not." The student, standing at microphone across from the stage where McCain was speaking then declared "I came here to see a good leader. I do not."

The Senator seem surprised, but said he respected the student's views and his right to express them. "That's what America's about," McCain said. At the end of the hour long event, McCain came back to this point, looking at the student's direction and saying "we should be thankful" to live in a country where such frank discussions can happen.

--Perry Bacon Jr.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 02:40 pm
Quote:
John McCain was born on 8/29/36. If elected, he will be 72 when he is sworn in in 2009 - the oldest start of any Presidency. He would be 76 at the end of his first term, and if re-elected in 2012, would be president until age 80.

Ronald Reagan turned 70 two weeks after his inauguration in 1981 and many questioned whether he was too old. He was formally diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 1994 at age 83, but early symptoms were apparent during his re-election campaign in 1984, which he dismissed with a famous prepared joke: "I'm not going to hold my opponent's youth and inexperience against him."

McCain's health history:

* He competed as a lightweight boxer for three years and lacked skills but was fearless and "didn't have a reverse gear," as he later put it. No one knows how many blows he took to his head, but repeated head injuries in boxing (especially in non-proficient boxers) predispose these boxers to brain disease later in life.
* As a young man and officer, his reputation for hard partying and hard living was prodgious: "being on liberty with John McCain was like being in a train wreck." Binge drinking and chronic heavy alcohol use also decrease brain function in later life.
* From 1967 to 1973, McCain was a Vietnamese prisoner of war and was tortured. McCain has constant functional limitations from the torture (he cannot lift his arms above his head). According to his publicly released medical records, McCain also has chronic pain resulting from numerous fractures; his captors when he was a POW did not provide adequate care, and the fractures did not heal properly. Torture can produce psychiatric disease (especially PTSD), cognitive impairments, or both. The experience of being a POW has - in WWII POW's - also been shown to be associated with neuropsychiatric impairment.
* In 1993, McCain was diagnosed with melanoma (skin cancer). After treatment for the intial diagnosis, the melanoma returned two more times (2000 and 2002). Both chemo and radiation used to treat cancer may also lead to permanent cognitive impairment.

Does McCain have PTSD and its consequential psychiatric problems?

* According to the records, McCain has said that immediately after his release from military prison in Hanoi there were "times when very realistic or frightening memories" came back to him. But McCain "can successfully put these memories out of his mind," the medical records said.

According to Dr. Kirk James Murphy, a V.A. physician who has long experience treating veterans with PTSD:

Sen McCain's life history indicates that his brain is at greater than average risk of dysfunction and impairment in the following areas:

- capacity to learn, recall, and reason with complex new information

- judgement and impulse control

- capacity to devote sustained attention.

Sen McCain - like all victims of trauma and torture - is entitled to absolute privacy regardiing his personal medical history. We as American citizens, however, are entitled to all possible information about the men and women who choose to ask act us to select them as president.

At the very least, Sen McCain's history raises many questions about the presence of objectively determinable disruption in neuropsychiatric function. He and his camapign have been forthcoming with his medical records in the past; his brain history strongly suggests that obtaining and releasing the results of current neuropsychiatric testing, imaging studies (perhaps including functional MRI and or auditory evoked potential findings) and other relevant assessments would be required in order to conclude that Sen McCain would bring to the Oval Office a brain functioning sufficiently well to serve as the second President of the 21st Century.

McCain Helath Background

So is it PTSD that is causing his memory loss?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 02:42 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
blatham wrote:
rox

No, but it doesn't have to match the magnitude of that smear to still be unconscionable.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 02:45 pm
blatham wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
blatham wrote:
rox

No, but it doesn't have to match the magnitude of that smear to still be unconscionable.

Wait, political ops are supposed to have a conscious?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 03:00 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
blatham wrote:
rox

Reasonable people without a sense of humor.

So you think its funny to attack a man or question his mental capability?
There is no excuse for your original comment, and you know it.
0 Replies