Lola at the Coffee House, Cafe 101

farmerman

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 04:11 pm
@ossobuco,
5000$ to 17000$ for a pimped up woodstove. GIMME SOME SLACK. That shits for idiots with more money than brains, you know, trust fund babes.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 04:21 pm
@farmerman,
I agree, and thought that was one hell of an ugly stove..
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 10:56 am
@ossobuco,
Love the chair but agree with farmerman on that stove -- a stove that leaves me cold -- very curious. The Tinker-Toy (or Pick-Up-Sticks?) lamp doesn't do it for me either.
spendius

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 11:05 am
@Lightwizard,
All stoves are ugly. We are not evolved to live in cold climates. Stoves are a reminder that we are where we shouldn't be and where we wouldn't be if we could knock off copulating like rabbits, which have fur coats.

Stoves should be on Ignore because they speak of uncomfortable truths.
Lightwizard

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 11:08 am
As far as Italian design Luceplan Berenice lamp -- I sold it in the wall mount, table top and floor model. I wouldn't give mine up.

https://www.luceplanstore.com/images/uploads/large/thumb_91_berenice_floor_blk.jpg

This was shown long ago at Milan as well as this great lamp, Titania:

https://www.luceplanstore.com/images/uploads/large/thumb_titania_susp_1D1700000520.jpg

Was available in an arc floor lamp but couldn't find it on their site -- I have one in Laguna Beach.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 11:22 am
@Lightwizard,
Right, I hated that. Didn't like the chair with the framed-air back either...

On Shiguru Ban, I somewhat follow his work anyway..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 11:26 am
@spendius,
My brother in law had a wood stove I liked a lot. Regular old heavy black iron thing..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 11:28 am
@Lightwizard,
The first one (Luce) looks very useful besides being good looking -
The second one I don't dislike, would probably like it more seeing it in person.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 11:31 am
@Lightwizard,
In ital design, there's an italian lighting company, starts with A... archimedes? no, Artimede.. something like that, that came out in the late eighties with small hanging halogen lights. The first time I saw them was in the etruscan museo in Volterra, very simply aimed at whatever was on display, and I thought they were so cool I couldn't believe my eyes.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 11:37 am
adds, Shigeru Ban -

http://www.shigerubanarchitects.com/SBA_WORKS/SBA_HOUSES/SBA_HOUSES_9/SBA_Houses_9.html
http://www.shigerubanarchitects.com/SBA_WORKS/SBA_OTHERS/SBA_OTHERS_8/SBA_Others_8.html

Plus, I liked the temporary exhibit site he built on some pier, in NYC, I think.

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 12:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Quite interesting, but I would not like to live in a modern house. I am
partial to the Spanish and Mexican design.

http://assets.vacationhomerentals.com/userimg/37506/thumb3_home_1.jpg
Lightwizard

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 12:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Next to the lamp in the "airfoil" design of Titania is a space for two color filters -- I used the green and blue but then the underside is a clear white downlight. Their in museums, the most spectacular display was in the museum of Florence against the background of ancient walls.

Artimede is a design sales distributing company who manufactured nothing itself. It made the price high but all the lighting that is made in Italy is not inexpensive. The Luceplan Berenice is at about $ 430.00 - $479.00 today and the Titania in the floor model is around $ 400.00 back in the 90's. If they had marketed to Artimede, double those prices.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 01:20 pm
@Lightwizard,
Tnx, lightwizard. Yes, I wasn't clear if they were the manufacturers/designers or not. Just remember the name and the catalog at some point.

My own houses or apartments have been either mediterranean or craftsman - but I appreciate a range of design. That sounds snotty, but what I mean is that I like some of a lot of kinds of design; same with music, and so on. In a landscape design field, unless one specializes, one learns to make choices based on the 'company' they keep, to some extent anyway, as well as other considerations..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 01:23 pm
@CalamityJane,
We should do a favorite houses thread one of these days. My very favorites have a some patina.. oft nearing the crumpling apart stage.
the prince

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 08:42 am
@ossobuco,
I wanna see Lola's legs again
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 08:44 am
@the prince,
Since she's married blatham, she keeps them under wraps.
the prince

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 08:45 am
@CalamityJane,
She will show them to me. I am sure. Wont you Lola baby?
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 08:46 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

We should do a favorite houses thread one of these days. My very favorites have a some patina.. oft nearing the crumpling apart stage.

Yes, those kind of houses are nice too, osso, however only doable in Europe.
In the United States a 50 year old house brings more pain than pleasure,
it practically falls apart.
Lightwizard

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 09:43 am
@CalamityJane,
Well, here in California the old houses hardly ever get torn down, even the big housing boom after WWII which were thrown up with cardboard and chewing gum. So much raw land and for cost, further and further into the desert basin. They sometimes just get new paint jobs and the headache improvements in plumbing, electrical, etc., and the many new homes are built in the fire areas the bad news keeps coming from. My townhouse was built in the 70's and we've done a lot in improvements -- much more money than what it was originally worth. How many people live in a well known architect designed house? I could show you many multi-million dollar homes like in Newport Beach which are just designed by architects and are only elaborate tract houses (even if "custom.")
Lightwizard

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 09:50 am
@the prince,
Well, of course she would show them to you but you first! Very Happy
0 Replies