Lola at the Coffee House, Cafe 101

spendius

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 03:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Why Spendius, I do believe you are displaying a bit of envy..

You must be joking osso.

That coffee table and that chair are in terrible taste. It's not a question of not being to my taste. They are simply awful. Naff does not do them justice.

Are they the "in" thing over there with the Improving Minds set?

LW is up to about 200 uses of the word "troll" and he obviously doesn't know what it means. Is it not boring you all yet? Along with his button polishing.

Hey--the foreign travel thing is turning out to be a bit of a lark eh? I bet there's thousands on overtime and shelves being cleared of all sorts of unlikely stuff. They are closing schools here so every cloud has a silver lining. They love it. Getting us all cowering in our hutches suits them down to the ground. No kissing they said. Not a hope.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 03:52 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
The beta minus artistic taste competition.

If you just leave, the level on the Huxley scale will rise to alpha at least.
Lightwizard

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 04:44 pm
@farmerman,
I didn't realize you had an Apple but either MAC's or PC's unless they have a program like Radeon to control the video card, you can't really calibrate the color to the international standard. It's the same with hi-def displays -- the factory setting and what they call optimized of standard settings are centered right down the middle and are more often off from true color than not. It's also the bias on each color which defines the detail in darker areas. I do calibrations but I need a new PC before I have the resources to run the latest Radeon controls. It's also how the individual sites set their color for an upload -- they can vary dramatically. I just wondered if the color of the turquoise was right as I brought up some examples online of the pottery and used that to adjust the color. Just practicing as I've not really done any calibrations for a computer, just big screen plasma and LCD's.
farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 04:54 pm
@Lightwizard,
I have both, the U does all its works on Macs and the business world is PC oriented. I happen to like MAcs because they are intuitively obvious. Its like the difference tween a CANON and NIKON camera. (claims of optic superiority aside), the CANON is much easire to operate and a person can be taking good pictures on a CANON right out of the box. Same with the MAC, when it comes to doing equations or graphics, its superior in its simplicity, you dont have to have a GEEK intercede so you can get what you need in data presentation.

The color of the Roseville vaaaaz was still better on the MAc. Tell me more about this Radeon card. It is steps beyond the color optimization stuff that comes with the programs like Pshop or Paint or ROCKWARE.
spendius

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 05:10 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
If you just leave, the level on the Huxley scale will rise to alpha at least.

You obviously don't understand effemm. The beta minuses are happy to be beta minuses. They have been conditioned that way. They don't wish to be alphas. Do you not understand that?

And with chairs and coffee tables like we have seen on here recently you can see why. Woody Allen showed what alphas have to sit on in one of his movies and a few of the other silly things that are expected of them.

Beta minuses think that being a beta minus is the best thing since sliced bread. The only thing from an intellectual point of view is the suspicion that beta minuses discourse in a beta minus fashion to avoid discoursing at any higher level. They get into a bit of a panic you see when that happens and put it on Ignore.

I once had a coffee table made of marble. The legs were seasoned oak. The top came from a graveyard that was being relocated to the tip to make way for a housing development. I had it sawn to the shape of a mermaid and polished. Alas I broke it into two pieces. I glued it back together though but the crack showed so I placed it at the other end of my lounge and stood an aspidestra on it. In a pot I mean. A commode I bought at a hospital demolition sale.

Why are there no Americans in the snooker World Championships? Are you a bit nervous about the games the rest of the world has chosen to play?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 06:08 pm
@farmerman,
You'd have to have an AMD Radeon video card and other brands of video cards usually have software that allows all the adjustments. Here's the latest Radeo technology:

http://www.kinetic.net/Radeon/

My Dell PC is still four years old and even with an upgrade AMD Radeon video card, I still can only load the X300 software. It just eats up too much of my resources. I'm ready for a new SONY VAIO laptop and hard drive for my upstairs large monitor.

Well, I took the time to quickly eyeball the color and, like I said, the color online varies all over the place.
spendius

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 05:30 pm
@Lightwizard,
Cripes--we are dealing with scarce resources now. That's pretty common I must say and somewhat lowers the tone of this joint.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 07:51 pm
@Lightwizard,
That's ATI Radeon but it's owned by AMD.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 08:46 pm
@farmerman,
Sir Julian Huxley is conflated with latter-day Californian Aldous in the teeny weeny pass-for-a-brain contraption you just generously addressed. Why he persists in hanging out in spaces in which he's so very, very, VERY blindingly clearly unwanted, is a deep mystery solvable only by the hostess, a Freudian psychoanalyst by profession. Let's hope Blatham can convince her to take a new look into her own shop - soon, as in asap.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 08:51 pm
@High Seas,
I guess I have to know all that to parse your point, HSeas. It's been decades since I've had interest in the Huxleys or, indeed, freudian psychoanalysis, while I had mere wonder to start with.
I wouldn't mind, though, knowing straightforward explication on Julian and Aldous.
High Seas

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 09:04 pm
@ossobuco,
There is no point to be parsed, Ossobuco. Clarity verging on brutality is my characteristic mode of expression - and if I have inadvertently introduced obscurity, I'm hoping LightWizard will correct me PRONTO! Julian was great, Aldous was 2nd rate - that was all I said, other than blasting trolls, imposters, the (mercifully singleton) compulsive follower and suchlike creepy crawly critters to kingdom come, of course Smile
High Seas

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 09:13 pm
@High Seas,
OK - am out of the country for a while, ergo not posting, and wanted to wish the best to all Coffee House guests - and I do use words advisedly when I say guests - as well as, most importantly, wish Ossobuco all the best for her eyesight.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 09:20 pm
@High Seas,
Thanks, kiddo. You and I are natural enemies, but I'm more interested in the talk. Be well.
High Seas

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 09:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Enemies? Helas, chere madame, you wouldn't know what that term, "enemies", means if it were explained to you in vast detail, in which you are very fortunate. So I simply wish you well, naturally, and also wish you never to grasp the meaning of the term "enemy" Smile
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 09:25 pm
@High Seas,
Eh, don't underestimate me..

still, be well.
McTag

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 02:22 am

You misunderestimate Osso at your pearl.

Bon voyage, HS, gute und erfolgreiche Reise.

Shame Spendy's gravestone got broke.
spendius

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 04:29 am
@McTag,
Funny Freud should get mentioned. I'm reading Prof. Vitz's book about the guy's "Christian Unconscious". The analyst analysed.

It's quite interesting on the wellsprings of atheism and the effects of nannies and wet-nurses on little lads and the sudden withdrawal of them. As it is also on the rejection of father by ambitious sons.

I'm interested in atheism as a species of wish fulfillment. It is like religious belief in that respect.

Psychoanalysis and atheism are closely linked and both are megalopolitan which is, of course, the base of media conglomerates which are, in turn, staffed by the ambitious who are controllers of the "graven image" as well as "strange financial instruments".

The megalopolis is as dependent for sustenance on the countryside as any kid is on a wet-nurse.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 07:10 am
@High Seas,
Quote:
Julian was great, Aldous was 2nd rate - that was all I said.

Was the assertion justified?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 08:09 am
@ossobuco,
Keep you friends close and your enemies closer. No credit necessary.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 01:52 pm
For any who follow furniture design, a report on the milan furniture fair -

Link re Milan fair

(I'm keen on the Shigeru Ban chair..)