Lola at the Coffee House, Cafe 101

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 01:11 pm
Ooops -- that was the National Geographic HD Channel, not Science HD.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 03:37 pm
high seas

Unfortunately for us, the cascadia subduction zone ain't very far away
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/38/Cascadia_subduction_zone_USGS.png/420px-Cascadia_subduction_zone_USGS.png/img]
blatham

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 03:38 pm
high seas

Unfortunately for us, the cascadia subduction zone ain't very far away
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/38/Cascadia_subduction_zone_USGS.png/420px-Cascadia_subduction_zone_USGS.png
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 03:39 pm
On the plus side, it doesn't extend as far south as I'd remembered. George might survive. And Lightwizard will be fine on either coast.
Lightwizard

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 03:42 pm
@blatham,
There's also the geologist's warning that one of the Hawaiian islands could slide into the ocean, so I've got my water wings handy. Not.

When the Newport Fault which extends of the Long Beach Fault went off in the late 80's, I was walking across the street to go to work on the Balboa Peninsula. When I got to the gallery, they had been hanging an Erte exhibition and every picture was crooked. The first thing I said was, "What kind of installation is this? Are you all drunk?" I had been crossing the street and thought a truck had caused the rumble I felt in the street.
McTag

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 03:54 am

On British TV there has just been a magnificent series of three programmes about Yellowstone Park.
If you get the chance, I highly recommend seeing them.

Anyway, among the amazing facts evidenced therein, was the fact that the tectonic plate is slowly moving over the magma "bubble" which causes the geysers there. The bubble however does not move, relative to the earth's core. And every 60,000 years or so, there is a an almighty explosion, many times bigger than Mt St Helens, which blasts away the part of the mountain range which lies over the bubble.
The result of that can be seen as a broad, flat high valley (sorry, the name escapes me) leading to the current position of Yellowstone.

Okay?
georgeob1

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 08:56 am
@McTag,
I'll look for the series.

Interestingly a somewhat similar process is responsible for the buildup of the Hawaiian Islands - a "hot spot" of molten magma just beneath the earth's crust sequentially built up a chain of sea mounts eventually becoming islands as the Pacific plate moved over it.
High Seas

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 10:25 am
@blatham,
Bernie - did you know there is a handy calculator for plate motions? Just enter your latitude/longitude (use negative signs for western longitudes):
http://sps.unavco.org/crustal_motion/dxdt/model/

The model designers are obviously honest people - they added a caveat to their calculations:
Quote:
Caveat emptor! If you or the Auto plate selection selects a plate for your location that is not accounted for in the selected model, that plate is assumed to have a zero angular velocity.
High Seas

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 10:50 am
@High Seas,
Absolutely incredible map from same site, showing age of ocean bottom:
http://jules.unavco.org/VoyagerJrDocs/image/Earth/world/zoom0/subregion0/normal/oceanage.gif
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 10:55 am
@blatham,
Maybe your plate doesn't reach as far south as George's or Lightwizard's, but their plates move a whole lot faster:
http://www.dpc.ucar.edu/earthscopeVoyager/JVV_Jr/images/pix_velocities.jpg
Map still from same site, last section, interactive earth maps (North America) with "show velocities" option checked.
Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 07:00 pm
@High Seas,
Well, especially if I have eight people over for dinner.
McTag

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 01:11 am
@Lightwizard,

Heated plates?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 07:23 am
@Lightwizard,
Quote:
Well, especially if I have eight people over for dinner

The more people you have for dinner the more likely it is that the average IQ around the table approaches 100. One only need think of the whole nation coming to dinner. When they are carefully selected by the host they will function as a mirror of his own conceits. And the larger the number the more thinly he spreads himself.

I never invite anyone to dinner. I find watching people put their laughing tackle around a fork with nutrient impaled upon it, masticating it with their pulverisers, after tearing it with the nippers, and swallowing it down the oesophagus into the stomach from whence, by a series of peristaltic reflexes in the alimentary canals, the vestiges are deposited in the dunny convenience to be distributed around the fields in the immediate vicinity, for recirculation, in the company of a few sheets of scented arsewipes printed with floral designs extracted from one of those Jumbo packs often to be seen on shopping trollies in the up-market malls , to be a somewhat distressing prospect bearing in mind my scientific temperment and unfortunate penchant for critical analysis.

It is even more distressing when this unsightly activity is accompanied by speech patterns which extoll the virtues of critical analysis selectively restricted to those aspects of life which are acceptable as suitable subjects for such analysis in the particular social milieux appertaining at the time such as methods of controlling others who are not present to the satisfaction of the company which is present.

When such confused crosstalk ranges over slimming, weightwatching, the plight of the poor and oppressed, the symbiotic qualities of the fine wines, the education of the upcoming generations and economic strategies for the salvation of the nation, its distressinging nature is reinforced by its ridiculousness.
aidan

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 09:29 am
@spendius,
Spendius said:
Quote:
I never invite anyone to dinner. I find watching people put their laughing tackle around a fork with nutrient impaled upon it, masticating it with their pulverisers, after tearing it with the nippers, and swallowing it down the oesophagus into the stomach from whence, by a series of peristaltic reflexes in the alimentary canals, the vestiges are deposited in the dunny convenience to be distributed around the fields in the immediate vicinity, for recirculation, in the company of a few sheets of scented arsewipes printed with floral designs extracted from one of those Jumbo packs often to be seen on shopping trollies in the up-market malls , to be a somewhat distressing prospect bearing in mind my scientific temperment and unfortunate penchant for critical analysis.

Then you shouldn't invite them to just any dinner - you should invite them to a lobster dinner. You'd be fascinated.
How a person eats a lobster can tell you an awful lot about him or her, and is far more interesting than listening to soundbites about any of the somewhat predictable subjects of conversation you listed later in your diatribe.

Do they use the bib? Do they use all the implements or brute strength and their fingers? Do they eat the tomalley? How willing are they to indulge in the drawn butter?

*Sorry to intrude - I couldn't resist- in the absence of availability of lobster on this island, this is my Easter present to myself.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 09:48 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
Well, especially if I have eight people over for dinner

The more people you have for dinner the more likely it is that the average IQ around the table approaches 100. One only need think of the whole nation coming to dinner. When they are carefully selected by the host they will function as a mirror of his own conceits. And the larger the number the more thinly he spreads himself.

It is even more distressing when this unsightly activity is accompanied by speech patterns which extoll the virtues of critical analysis selectively restricted to those aspects of life which are acceptable as suitable subjects for such analysis in the particular social milieux appertaining at the time such as methods of controlling others who are not present to the satisfaction of the company which is present.

When such confused crosstalk ranges over slimming, weightwatching, the plight of the poor and oppressed, the symbiotic qualities of the fine wines, the education of the upcoming generations and economic strategies for the salvation of the nation, its distressinging nature is reinforced by its ridiculousness.

Mr Bloom went round the corner and passed the drooping nags of the hazard. No use thinking of it any more. Nosebag time. Wish I hadn't met that M'Coy fellow.

He came nearer and heard a crunching of gilded oats, the gently champing teeth. Their full buck eyes regarded him as he went by, amid the sweet oaten reek of horsepiss. Their Eldorado. Poor jugginses! Damn all they know or care about anything with their long noses stuck in nosebags. Too full for words. Still they get their feed all right and their doss. Gelded too: a stump of black guttapercha wagging limp between their haunches. Might be happy all the same that way. Good poor brutes they look. Still their neigh can be very irritating.

spendius

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 10:57 am
@edgarblythe,
What a compliment to have been juxtaposed with such literary excellence.

I really don't deserve it Ed. I'm not in that league. There still remains some vestiges of bourgeoise decency deep within my sensibility.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 12:36 pm
It's inevitable -- a troll can't stay in one place. They eventually become stalkers. Somebody slip a mickey into his coffee. Oh, wait, he'll rather enjoy that. Works better than brew.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 03:36 pm
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2508/166/100/1313808680/n1313808680_1131339_3540066.jpg
spendius

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 05:05 am
@Lightwizard,
Are you suggesting LW that women are fat, talk gibberish, irrationally and impatiently hysterical, hopeless drivers, don't think straight, contentiously and trivially disputatious, have to wee squatting, suffer from arousal dysfunction and severe erotic performance inadequacies and recidivist stubborn bigots to boot?

Sheesh!! And I thought I was the only male chauvinist pig around here.
farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 05:30 am
@Lightwizard,
Ya know, Ive noticed that spendi comments recently have always veered off into the realm of fashion and types of friily underwear that (s)he prefers. Are the suds getting to our UK correspondents genome?

Tune in tomorrow for "AS THE POM SQUIRMS"