Lola at the Coffee House, Cafe 101

High Seas

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 03:35 pm
@Thomas,
A million?! Lola better get the phone number of the Secretary of the Treasury. Btw, a new "neo-Nigerian" scam e-mail is bouncing around:

Quote:
Date: 9/23/2008
Subject: Urgent transaction - need your help

Bright Greetings Dear American:

I need to ask you to support an urgent and important business relationship with a transfer of funds of great magnitude.

I am Ministry of Treasury of the Republic of America. My country has had a crisis that has caused the need for a large transfer of funds of 700 billion dollars US. If you would assist me in this transfer, it would be most profitable to you.

I am working with renowned Mr. Phil Gram, lobbyist for UBS, who will be my replacement as Ministry of Treasury in January. As a Senator, you may know him as the leader of the American banking deregulation movement in the 1990s. This transactin is 100% safe.

This is a matter of great urgency. We need a blank check. We need the funds as quickly as possible. We cannot directly transfer these funds in the names of our close friends because we are constantly under surveillance. My family lawyer advised me that I should look for reliable and trustworthy person who will act as a next of kin so the funds can be transferred.

Please reply with all of your bank account, IRA and college fund account numbers and those of your children and grandchildren [email protected] so that we transfer your commission for this transaction. After I receive you’re information, I will respond with detailed information about safeguards that will be used to protect the funds.

Wonderful salutations to you cherish friend from Republic of America.

Yours Faithfully,
Minister of Treasury Paulson
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 05:04 pm
"May you live in intereshting timesh" muttered a voice from under the table.
High Seas

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 02:45 pm
@spendius,
My dear man - aren't you tired of being awaken by the pub's charwoman when she comes in at 4 a.m. and has to move you in order to sweep under the table? In fairness, though, our Treasury Secretary's plan is enough to drive anyone to drink - most fortunately the people managed to keep the House from passing it. For now.

Besides, you want interesting times, try the high seas (no, not my name):

Quote:
“………………the pirates had been misunderstood. “We don’t consider ourselves sea bandits,” he said. “We are simply patrolling our seas. Think of us like a coast guard.”
The pirates who answered the phone call on Tuesday morning from The New York Times said they were speaking by satellite phone from the bridge of the Faina, the Ukrainian cargo ship that was hijacked about 200 miles off the coast of Somalia on Thursday. Several pirates talked.........................”
spendius

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 03:30 pm
@High Seas,
Are the Russians provoking Ukraine?
High Seas

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 01:17 pm
@spendius,
For heaven's sake, Spendi, say something entertaining, this ain't Waiting for Godot, it's Lola's very own Coffee House! No wonder our hostess has turned into the white queen (or was it the red one?) with you endlessly nattering about believing 10 impossible things before breakfast....
blatham

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 03:20 pm
Well-spoken pirates. It's a rare Hells Angel, for example, who self-promotes as "really, we're just like the Highway Patrol, when you think about it."

Hi girl.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 05:46 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
For heaven's sake, Spendi, say something entertaining, this ain't Waiting for Godot, it's Lola's very own Coffee House!

Okay. I'll try. Shakespeare sends this bloke who is better looking than he is and is a thousand times more rich and powerful to "press his suit" on Mary and the bloke shags Mary and Shakespeare thinks he's been betrayed.

Is that interesting?
High Seas

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 12:32 pm
@spendius,
Good God. Spendi - please abandon any effort to make yourself interesting and revert to your habitual crashing bore personality.

Really only looking in here in an effort to locate Blatham to thank him for an introduction..... lost his e-mail address, but then he never looks into his inbox, so I don't suppose it matters.
blatham

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 02:54 pm
@High Seas,
name plus 77 via hotmail, it be

and youse is welcome
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 03:24 pm
@High Seas,
The correct usage HS is "Great Gahd!!" Have you never heard of Frank Harris.
McTag

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 04:42 pm
@spendius,

I made savoury mince tonight (ground beef) and we had it with mashed potatoes and it was lovely.
spendius

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:15 pm
@McTag,
Have you tried Somerfield's own brand steak and kidney stew Mac? £1,36 a tin or £3 for 3. Low fat too. With Booster chips and veg and a couple of slices of expensive bread spread with cholesterol busting medicine to dip the gravy up you can reach places posh restaurants can only do pictures of.

The Co-op have taken them over so the labels might change.

For afters you can't beat a canned jam roly-poly. Those in the cookery books are crap. I make my own custard though. I prefer runny custard. Sweetened.

If you go to household auctions you can get boxes full of plates and cutlery for next to nothing so the washing up problem is done away with.

Now--not bothering to make the bed every day.

McTag

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 10:09 am
@spendius,

That sounds good. Thank you, the A2K dining correspondent.

Do you know what? My better half froze the leftovers from yesterday, and there was plenty, so now today I've got to make something else.
blatham

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 10:45 am
@McTag,
Quote:
My better half froze the leftovers

Odd. I'd have thought her preference would be everything at broom-temperature.
spendius

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 12:34 pm
@blatham,
I say Mac!! That's a bit stiff I must say.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 11:55 am
@blatham,
The temperature of outer space is 2.7 degrees above zero Kelvin.

Bernie - how about you volunteer for the next repair mission to the Space Station? At least you know to carry tools in a toolbelt, not in a hand-carried bag!
blatham

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 07:06 pm
@High Seas,
Count me in. I will also clean the windows.
High Seas

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 03:30 pm
@blatham,
Bernie - in an effort to spare you further embarassment on your online blog (which you posted on another thread) I'm commenting in this quiet backwater where the posters on the other thread aren't likely to see it:

BEFORE you post on economic and financial statistics (a subject of which you are evidently innocent) ASK someone familiar with WHATEVER you believe your point to be. For instance, in the matter of definitions of recessions, they are only ascertainable EX POST, as this NBER article makes clear:

Quote:
A recession is a significant decline in economic activity spread across the economy, lasting more than a few months, normally visible in real GDP, real income, employment, industrial production, and wholesale-retail sales. A recession begins just after the economy reaches a peak of activity and ends as the economy reaches its trough. Between trough and peak, the economy is in an expansion. Expansion is the normal state of the economy; most recessions are brief and they have been rare in recent decades.

http://www.nber.org/cycles/recessions.html

PS Please keep that in mind before you continue to follow the example of the idiot football player who shot himself in the foot at a New York night club and now denies in court that he ever carried a gun, loaded or otherwise Smile

PPS "ex post" is Latin for "a helluva lot later" and DEFINITELY does not mean "contemporaneously"!
spendius

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 03:40 pm
@High Seas,
One is allowed to guffaw in coffee houses isn't one?
High Seas

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 03:44 pm
@spendius,
You better check with our hostess, Lola, old boy..... It's her Coffee House!
0 Replies