HBO John Adams Mini-series

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 10:34 pm
For those who don't know, David McCullough's Pulitzer Prize winning "John Adams" book becomes a TV mini-series in mid March.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,619 • Replies: 8
No top replies

eoe

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 09:10 pm
I saw previews last night. Paul Giamatti plays Adams. He's such a good actor, I'm more interested in his performance than the subject matter.
Ooops! Does that make me unpatriotic???
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 04:27 am
No, but I believe that if you learn more about the subject matter, you might become more interested. All of these guys ran a very real risk of execution to do what they did. Adams was one member of an amazing set of brilliant intellectuals who gave birth to this country. There are many interesting and clever quotations attributed to the Founders. Adams and Jefferson were first great friends, then enemies, and then great friends again, and both died 50 years to the day from July 4, 1776.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 05:59 am
Im interested in how they did the location shots. Obviously a lot of the early part of the book takes place in Braintree and Philadelphia. I heard that they used some of New Castle DElaware and DOver Delaware(because of the buildings similar to Philadelphia).They also used the John Dickinson Mansion in lower Kent Delaware because its pretty much in a surrounding that is relatively untouched since the first Congress.

Mculloughs book was not exactly a "page turner" for me. It required a lot of quiet becuase of its nature as a fairly detailed chronicle.

I hope they do justice to ADams defense of the British soldiers involved in the "Boston Massacre"
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 06:25 am
I don't have HBO, so I'll have to wait for Netflix to get it. I loved the book, it gave me a whole new perspective on the founding of this country. The whole Adams - Jefferson thing makes me believe in karma.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 02:43 pm
I loved it. It was the next best thing to going back in time and watching the events unfold. Anyone else see it?
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 05:11 pm
I always struggle with biographies....but it was a good book none-the-less.

Mini-series is very well made.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 09:13 pm
Tom Hank's production company, "Playtone," is now working on another McCullough book, "1776."
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 05:10 am
@Brandon9000,
It won 13 Emmys last night, setting a record for a mini-series.
0 Replies