at/on the launch

contrex

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 04:39 pm
Well said, Robert Gentel. I fear that many Americans feel that "them's OUR Intarwebs". I do not recollect it ever being stated that Able2know is an American site, and I am not sure what "registered" means in this context.

Quote:
The majority of people here are American, aren't they?

I don't know how she could know that.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 04:48 pm
I just erased what I wanted to write to you contrex - it's just not worth
it. You've had enough disputes with people here to last you a lifetime.
No need to make yet another point.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 05:20 pm
contrex wrote:
Well said, Robert Gentel.

contrex, I do want to point out that while I don't think this is an "American" site and do think there is a place for British English here I do understand the objections made to your post and am not defending it.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 06:31 am
CalamityJane wrote:
contrex wrote:
I differ from the gustravenhofer character (is he a native speaker?). His remark about the "misspelling" of the word jewellery should give you some idea of how much weight to give to his pronouncements.

Excuse me, Yoong Liat comes to an American site to ask grammar questions, and the last time I checked - in the United States we write
jewelry and not jewellery. As we all know, there is a difference between
BE and AE, no need to question someone's abilities/command of the
english language.

Besides, if Yoong Liat wants the British English version, he would be better
off, going to a BE board.

Could you please tell me which forum is for purely Briitish English?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 06:40 am
Yoong Liat, ignore those who generate more heat than light and just carry on as before
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 06:52 am
Hi Contrex

Some of the American members know only AmE, but I believe, you and I know quite a lot about AmE. I don't understand why the American members are more active than British members in the forums that I know of.

Thanks for your encouragement.

Best wishes
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 07:02 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
contrex wrote:
I differ from the gustravenhofer character (is he a native speaker?). His remark about the "misspelling" of the word jewellery should give you some idea of how much weight to give to his pronouncements.

Excuse me, Yoong Liat comes to an American site to ask grammar questions, and the last time I checked - in the United States we write
jewelry and not jewellery. As we all know, there is a difference between
BE and AE, no need to question someone's abilities/command of the
english language.

Besides, if Yoong Liat wants the British English version, he would be better

Could you please tell me which forum is for purely Briitish English?

Well, you got me looking!!!!

Internet fora, by their nature, tend to be international.

Here is a bunch of interesting sites I found, but, at a cursory glance, I cannot tell if they spell words like "Jewellery" correctly, or like Americans! :wink:

http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/

http://forums.eslcafe.com/student/viewforum.php?f=22

This one IS English:

http://forums.lydbury.co.uk/grammar/

http://englishplus.com/grammar/index.htm

http://www.verbivore.com/rllink.htm#grammar

http://www.usingenglish.com/

BBC site!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/

But...we'd miss you awfully if you went.....and I do hope you have found us helpful???????
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 07:26 am
Hi Dlowan

Thanks. I'm delighted to know there so many English forum sites.

Don't worry. I may (not 'will') join them, but I'll still post here.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 07:38 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
Some of the American members know only AmE, but I believe, you and I know quite a lot about AmE.

It is a curious paradox that many BrE speakers, through exposure to Hollywood films and American TV series, have a fair idea of the most obvious differences between AmE and BrE usage, whereas many AmE speakers have next to no knowledge of any other English variants.

Quote:
I don't understand why the American members are more active than British members in the forums that I know of.

Far be it from me to comment...

Quote:
Thanks for your encouragement.

You are very welcome, my friend.

Quote:
Best wishes

Heartily reciprocated.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 11:45 am
I strongly recommend the BBC site.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 03:18 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I strongly recommend the BBC site.

Ah, thanks Beth, I didn't have much time to get a feel for them.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 04:42 pm
Quote:
Yoong Liat, ignore those who generate more heat than light and just carry on as before

heat is often preferred, particularly in the dead of winter...
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 08:26 pm
In my country, Singapore, there're only sunny or rainy days. It's mostly sunny. There are no seasons. So I've enough heat. But I feel sad that Calamity asked me to go to a British English forum. It seems she doesn't welcome me. Maybe I'm a nuisance to her.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 01:25 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
In my country, Singapore, there're only sunny or rainy days. It's mostly sunny. There are no seasons. So I've enough heat. But I feel sad that Calamity asked me to go to a British English forum. It seems she doesn't welcome me. Maybe I'm a nuisance to her.

Her spite was directed at me, I think. She thinks I am "anti-American".
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 02:46 am
English is English.

American English is a bit different, and a bit silly at times.
But fun.

That's my opinion.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 05:13 am
Yoong Liat wrote:

Nah...she was cross with the person who pointed out you did not misspell "jewellery".

You just happened to be there,.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 05:23 am
The BBC isn't quite perfect- even I can spot they make few errors now and then!- but I suppose they are relatively good. Sometimes they also fall prey to Americanisations.

EDIT: I know this by listening to BBC radio, and watching BBC News channel- maybe the website is better.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 05:45 am
contrex wrote:
Yoong Liat wrote:

Her spite was directed at me, I think. She thinks I am "anti-American".

Then why did she write the following? Besides, if Yoong Liat wants the British English version, he would be better
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 05:47 am
dlowan wrote:
Yoong Liat wrote:

Nah...she was cross with the person who pointed out you did not misspell "jewellery".

Then why did she write the following? Besides, if Yoong Liat wants the British English version, he would be better
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 07:07 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Yoong Liat wrote:

You would need to ask her........my guess is that she felt that, given you (quite rightly in my opinion :wink: )...wish to learn British English, there may be more chance that you will find spelling and idioms that are those you wish to learn on boards that specifically use British English. I also think she was a bit irked with Contrex, and, again, that the comment was based on that and had almost nothing to do with you.

I think you are taking it too much to heart.

There is a actually a bunch of us here who use British English....Australians and Canadians spell in the Brtitish way, for instance, as well as our British contingent. I generally do not say a lot to you, because my knowledge of grammar is extremely basic, and I do not wish to mislead you.

There are folk here who are really good at answering your questions.

There are spats from time to time here on A2k.......I really wouldn't take the one that happened to arise from your question too seriously.
0 Replies