at/on the launch

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 09:19 pm
Come and join us on/at the launch of these astounding pieces of gold jewellery.

Should I use 'in' or 'on'?

Many thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,462 • Replies: 42
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 09:21 pm
You spelled jewelry wrong.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 09:25 pm
Seems that question (usage of in or at) is asked again an again. Just curious as to why you repeat?
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 09:28 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
You spelled jewelry wrong.

Hi Gus

'Jewellery' is BrE, whereas 'jewelry' is the American version.

I've been corrected by another American English speaker in this forum if i remember correctly. But what is important is whether I should use 'in' or 'on'.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 09:28 pm
Young Liat is trying to master the english language, ragman, and he is bound to struggle along the way. Imagine us asking similar questions on a Chinese board.

I give Young Liat a lot of credit for his perseverance.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 09:29 pm
Use "on", but why is "at" in the mix?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 09:31 pm
bowing out
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 09:35 pm
Ragman wrote:
Seems that question (usage of in or at) is asked again an again. Just curious as to why you repeat?

With due respect, I may have asked 'in' or 'at' but not in the usage in question "in/on the launch".

In English, prepositions are very tricky. 'In' and 'on', when used in different contexts is one of the greatest problems.

I hope you understand why I asked this question although I don't remember having asked about this pair of prepositions frequently in this forum.

My problem is whether to use 'in' or 'on' in the above context.

Thanks in advance.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 09:39 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Young Liat is trying to master the english language, ragman, and he is bound to struggle along the way. Imagine us asking similar questions on a Chinese board.

I give Young Liat a lot of credit for his perseverance.

Hi Gus

When sober, you talk sensibly. I really appreciate your understanding of my positve side. I'm a perfectionist.

You're right. If you ask questions on Chinese usage, you'll have a hard time.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 09:41 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Use "on", but why is "at" in the mix?

Thanks, Gus. Your command of English is very good. I thought that you were only good at farming.

Thanks again.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 09:51 pm
Yoong Liat wrote:

Hi Gus

When sober, you talk sensibly. I really appreciate your understanding of my positve side.

Was gustav ever drunk?
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 09:53 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Yoong Liat wrote:

Hi Gus

When sober, you talk sensibly. I really appreciate your understanding of my positve side.

Was gustav ever drunk?

Becaise he jokes often, I just say that he is drunk. It's more of a joke. Don't take me seriously in this too.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 10:48 pm
At the site of the launch.
On the day of the launch.

The launch can be both a time and a place depending on context. The preposition one would use would depend on the context. In the example you give "at" would be appropriate ("come" to the place).
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 03:38 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
At the site of the launch.
On the day of the launch.

The launch can be both a time and a place depending on context. The preposition one would use would depend on the context. In the example you give "at" would be appropriate ("come" to the place).

I think so too. Thanks.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 02:47 pm
I differ from the gustravenhofer character (is he a native speaker?). His remark about the "misspelling" of the word jewellery should give you some idea of how much weight to give to his pronouncements. I suspect that he is motivated by a juvenile desire to cause mischief.

One definitely uses "at the launch." The use of the word alone is a contraction of "launch party".

look here

http://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=%22at+the+launch%22&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f

and here

http://www.google.co.uk/search?aq=f&num=100&hl=en&safe=off&q=%22present+at+the+launch%22&btnG=Search&meta=

and here

http://www.google.co.uk/search?aq=f&num=100&hl=en&safe=off&q=%22also+at+the+launch%22&btnG=Search&meta=
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 03:27 pm
contrex wrote:
I differ from the gustravenhofer character (is he a native speaker?). His remark about the "misspelling" of the word jewellery should give you some idea of how much weight to give to his pronouncements.

Excuse me, Yoong Liat comes to an American site to ask grammar questions, and the last time I checked - in the United States we write
jewelry and not jewellery. As we all know, there is a difference between
BE and AE, no need to question someone's abilities/command of the
english language.

Besides, if Yoong Liat wants the British English version, he would be better
off, going to a BE board.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 03:28 pm
This is not an American site.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 03:32 pm
No? The majority of people here are American, aren't they? It is registered in the US, no?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 03:40 pm
This site is for anyone who wishes to use it. It is not an "American" site and persons such as myself are more than happy to help Yoong Liat, who has stated a preference for British English.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 04:38 pm
Of course everyone can use it, I did not say to restrict it to Americans,
despite your interpretation thereof.
0 Replies