Healthy people cost public health system more

vikorr

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 01:09 am
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23194121-23272,00.html

Quote:
Healthy people cost public health system more

HEALTHY? You are a burden to (the) health system.

Dutch researchers have found that smokers and the overweight actually cost the public health system less than healthy people because they live longer and the taxpayer has to deal with the cost of "lingering diseases of old age such as Alzheimers and Parkinsons".

The Netherlands National Institute for Public Health and Environment found that while "a person of normal weight costs on average $458,000 over their lifetime", a smoker clocks up just $359,000 and the obese run up an average $407,000 bill.

The study led by Pieter van Baal found: The underlying mechanism is that there is a substitution of inexpensive, lethal diseases towards less lethal, and therefore more costly diseases.

Smokers cost the least because they tend to die younger. And being overweight lowers medical bills because it raises the risk of diseases such as diabetes which decrease life expectancy.

However Dieticians Association of Australia nutrition expert Clare Collins said the study was no reason to lay down - or light up.

"They are trying to prove that if you are healthy you cost more but that is just the health care system not personal cost and does not consider how much the person contributes to the tax system," she said.

"People who lead a healthy life, who work and pay tax, will put more into the system then people sick and dying during the latter part of their lives."

Dr Collins said while the study would be good for healthcare planning it was based on hypothetical situations and did not take into account anything but economics.

"For obese people between 20 and 40 years old, life is no picnic," she said.

"Just consider the people on the Biggest Loser television show, where you see grown men crying about their weight - that dispels the myth of jolly fat people.

"What kind of future do you want for yourself? The fact is you don't live as long and have a look at your quality of life."

Weight related disease and injury cost Australia $21 billion in 2005 alone.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 726 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 06:38 am
Makes sense when you think about it....in a weird way!!!!

I had just assumed risk factors like smoking, obesity etc set you up for more chronic and expensive diseases....but I guess my hospital time meant I simply didn't see the ones who died quickly because of those factors!!!!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 12:43 pm
http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=111393

Wink
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 02:40 pm

And alcoholic cats???????
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 02:55 pm
dlowan wrote:

Alcholic cats die at right about tthe same time as smoking bunnies. Cool
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 03:09 pm
fishin wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Alcholic cats die at right about tthe same time as smoking bunnies. Cool

Reminds me of a bar in Allston I once frequented.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 03:14 pm
since i don't enjoy smoking , i'm trying to make up for it by eating well Laughing
can i still enjoy my NIGHTCUP - as suggested by my physician :wink: - or will it increase total health-care costs ?
eagerly anticipating advice !
(which i will NOT accept if it doesn't suit me)
hbg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 03:18 pm
hamburger wrote:
since i don't enjoy smoking , i'm trying to make up for it by eating well Laughing
can i still enjoy my NIGHTCUP - as suggested by my physician :wink: - or will it increase total health-care costs ?
eagerly anticipating advice !
(which i will NOT accept if it doesn't suit me)
hbg

Just give up the goddam hamburgers.
0 Replies