God, how I hate McCain

flaja

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 10:40 pm
I recently saw a McCain campaign ad claiming that McCain has drawn inspiration from Ronald Regan ever since McCain was taken POW.

But how can this be?

McCain was taken POW on October 26, 1967. By that date Ronald Reagan had held public elective office for only 265 days. The biggest (only?) national political exposure that Regan had had before McCain was taken POW was giving a speech for Barry Goldwater in the 1964 presidential campaign.

Just how disingenuous can McCain get? Just how gullible does he think we are?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,082 • Replies: 69
No top replies

tommrr

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 12:41 am
Re: God, how I hate McCain
flaja wrote:
I recently saw a McCain campaign ad claiming that McCain has drawn inspiration from Ronald Regan ever since McCain was taken POW.

But how can this be?

McCain was taken POW on October 26, 1967. By that date Ronald Reagan had held public elective office for only 265 days. The biggest (only?) national political exposure that Regan had had before McCain was taken POW was giving a speech for Barry Goldwater in the 1964 presidential campaign.

Just how disingenuous can McCain get? Just how gullible does he think we are?

Quote:
Why node a speech Reagan made early in his career for an unsuccessful candidate? Many Reagan fans and critics mark this speech as Reagan's first and perhaps best statement of his political ideals. The political movement that swept Reagan into office in the 1980s is known as neoconservative. To the "neo-cons" this became known as simply, "The Speech". Besides the names mentioned in it, the speech shows the influence of political thinkers such as Edmund Burke and Frederich Hayek on both Goldberg and Reagan.

link

Seeing as how McCain probably saw or listened to the speech, then he would be truthful in saying that "he drew inspiration from Reagan (or the words he spoke) while a POW.
And then there is this -
Quote:
The McCains became frequent guests of honor at dinners hosted by Governor of California Ronald Reagan and his wife Nancy Reagan; Ronald Reagan had been admired by McCain and other POWs even while in captivity, and would serve as a later role model for McCain.

Source: John McCain: An American Odyssey, Robert Timberg published 1999
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 05:12 am
You use a tome written by McCain and his people to validate a claim made by McCain?

I think that would qualify as not a very convincing reference.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 07:25 am
Ronald Reagan inspired Americans before the 1960s

http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/M/2I/DO/yg/zN/wY/TZ/tF/kX/nB/na/B5/lM/B5/1M/3U/DM/0U/DN/3U/TM/B5/VM._SY400_SX600_.jpg
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 09:19 am
Re: God, how I hate McCain
tommrr wrote:
Seeing as how McCain probably saw or listened to the speech, then he would be truthful in saying that "he drew inspiration from Reagan (or the words he spoke) while a POW.

You have documentation that McCain had heard Reagan's speech? Remember that we didn't have today's wall-to-wall media in the 1960s. I was a Reagan fan in my youth, but I've never heard his Goldwater speech in its entity.

Quote:
The McCains became frequent guests of honor at dinners hosted by Governor of California Ronald Reagan and his wife Nancy Reagan;

How many such dinners could there have been? McCain was released from POW captivity until March 15, 1973. Ronald Reagan's term as governor ended in January 1975.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 09:20 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Ronald Reagan inspired Americans before the 1960s

http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/M/2I/DO/yg/zN/wY/TZ/tF/kX/nB/na/B5/lM/B5/1M/3U/DM/0U/DN/3U/TM/B5/VM._SY400_SX600_.jpg

How so?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 12:58 pm
Let me try that image again...

http://www.ronaldreagan.com/reaganpics/rr127.jpg
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 02:43 pm
snood wrote:
You use a tome written by McCain and his people to validate a claim made by McCain?

Seeing as how I was not defending McCain, or trying to prove the validity of the quote, I was answering the question:
Quote:
But how can this be?

As to the claim that the book is written by McCain and his people. It was not penned by McCain (that's why it's a biography). Timberg, would not be, in my opinion, one of his people. Yes they attended the Naval Academy together, but have had their own lives since. I can go into his career if you like, but I'm sure you have done that on your own. As to the reason he is a credible source:
Quote:
`I'm McCain's biographer," cautions Timberg. "I'm not his champion." Still, the respected Washington correspondent and former Marine officer -- who, like McCain, is an Annapolis graduate and Vietnam veteran -- is acknowledged as a shrewd observer of former prisoner of war McCain and the seeming political phenomenon that has generated around him.

source
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 02:49 pm
tommrr wrote:
snood wrote:

Seeing as how I was not defending McCain, or trying to prove the validity of the quote, I was answering the question:
Quote:
But how can this be?

As to the claim that the book is written by McCain and his people. It was not penned by McCain (that's why it's a biography). Timberg, would not be, in my opinion, one of his people. Yes they attended the Naval Academy together, but have had their own lives since. I can go into his career if you like, but I'm sure you have done that on your own. As to the reason he is a credible source:
Quote:
`I'm McCain's biographer," cautions Timberg. "I'm not his champion." Still, the respected Washington correspondent and former Marine officer -- who, like McCain, is an Annapolis graduate and Vietnam veteran -- is acknowledged as a shrewd observer of former prisoner of war McCain and the seeming political phenomenon that has generated around him.

source

The terms Marine officer, Annapolis graduate and Vietnam veteran are not usually things you hear associated with "Washington correspondent". Someone with these credentials isn't likely to end up working for the media.

The source is suspect.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 02:55 pm
snood wrote:

McCain claimed he was influenced by Reagan and this reference shows that he has been consistent in making that claim instead of pulling it out at the last minute in the campaign, so I think it is valid.

McCain has actually followed Reagan in several places. Reagan was for immigration reform. He would have recognized McCain's immigration legislation. Reagan cut taxes, but the tax rates were much higher then. I doubt Reagan would be pushing for tax cuts during a war.

McCain is a free thinker in a party that currently is insisting in absolute loyalty to the party leadership. When he entered politics, the Republican party was something else. It has changed, not him.
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 03:09 pm
flaja wrote:
Quote:

The terms Marine officer, Annapolis graduate and Vietnam veteran are not usually things you hear associated with "Washington correspondent". Someone with these credentials isn't likely to end up working for the media.

The source is suspect.

Suspect how??? because he embarked upon a career other than the military after returning from the Vietnam War??? I think he is very well qualified.
Quote:
Robert Timberg is the author of The Nightingale's Song and John McCain, An American Odyssey. He served with the First Marine Division in South Vietnam from March 1966 to February 1967. He has worked at The Baltimore Sun for three decades as a reporter, editor and White House correspondent. Currently deputy chief of the Sun's Washington bureau, he lives in Bethesda, Md.

source
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 03:27 pm
Quote:
You have documentation that McCain had heard Reagan's speech? Remember that we didn't have today's wall-to-wall media in the 1960s. I was a Reagan fan in my youth, but I've never heard his Goldwater speech in its entity.

No, I have no such documentation of him seeing or hearing the speech. Nor do I assume you have any that he DID NOT see or hear the speech. Having been alive in the 60's, I do remember that we did not have wall to wall media, just the big 3. That would increase the chances of him seeing the speech, IMO.
As for not hearing the speech in its entirety...let me help you
Reagan Speech Audio

Quote:
How many such dinners could there have been? McCain was released from POW captivity until March 15, 1973. Ronald Reagan's term as governor ended in January 1975.

I don't know how many dinners there were, but seeing as it is in its in the plural form, I would say more than one.

Why do you find it so hard to believe that someone could be inspired by someone? You yourself are were a Reagan fan, and probably never even met the man. So why could McCain not have been inspired, even very early on, by him? Even a media whore like him has to have had some inspiration.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 05:25 pm
engineer wrote:
McCain claimed he was influenced by Reagan and this reference shows that he has been consistent in making that claim instead of pulling it out at the last minute in the campaign, so I think it is valid.

McCain has been a member of Congress since 1983- by which time Reagan was already President. Just how was McCain inspired by Regan between 1973 and 1983- apart from not staying married to his wife?

Quote:
McCain has actually followed Reagan in several places. Reagan was for immigration reform.

Reagan signed a law that gave 4,000,000 illegal aliens amnesty and now we have something like 12,000,000 illegal aliens. That kind of inspiration is something that we don't need.

Quote:
Reagan cut taxes, but the tax rates were much higher then.

Reagan also raised taxes as president.

Quote:
I doubt Reagan would be pushing for tax cuts during a war.

Does the Cold War count? Was he opposed to tax cuts in 1968 when he launched a stop-Nixon candidacy for the White House and the Vietnam War was ongoing?

Quote:
McCain is a free thinker in a party that currently is insisting in absolute loyalty to the party leadership.

If the GOP insists on absolute loyalty, why is McCain the front runner for this year's GOP presidential nomination?

Quote:
When he entered politics, the Republican party was something else. It has changed, not him.

How so? What policies does the Republican Party support now that it didn't support in 1983?
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 05:37 pm
tommrr wrote:
Suspect how??? because he embarked upon a career other than the military after returning from the Vietnam War??? I think he is very well qualified.

Washington correspondent, i.e., news reporter, is not an occupation that a Marine officer, Annapolis graduate or Vietnam vet would be expected to pursue.

Quote:
Robert Timberg is the author of The Nightingale's Song and John McCain, An American Odyssey. He served with the First Marine Division in South Vietnam from March 1966 to February 1967. He has worked at The Baltimore Sun for three decades as a reporter, editor and White House correspondent. Currently deputy chief of the Sun's Washington bureau, he lives in Bethesda, Md.

Is the Baltimore Sun a liberal or a conservative paper?
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 05:53 pm
tommrr wrote:
No, I have no such documentation of him seeing or hearing the speech. Nor do I assume you have any that he DID NOT see or hear the speech. Having been alive in the 60's, I do remember that we did not have wall to wall media, just the big 3. That would increase the chances of him seeing the speech, IMO.

It may be relatively easy for someone today to find a video or audio recording of this speech considering that we have the internet and cable TV. But, I would venture that if McCain didn't hear or see the speech when it was delivered in 1964, he never saw or heard it before he was taken POW in 1967. The chances that this speech had any impact on McCain are slim at best.

Quote:
I don't know how many dinners there were, but seeing as it is in its in the plural form, I would say more than one.

Was it 2? Was it 4? Was it 200 or 400?

I find it odd that Reagan and McCain could have had such a close relationship over such a long period of time and McCain was in Congress for 6 of Reagan's 8 years in the White House and I never even heard of McCain until McCain went to the Senate- long after Regan was out of office.

Quote:
Why do you find it so hard to believe that someone could be inspired by someone?

When have I said this? I am merely questioning the logistics involved. I don't see how Reagan could have been an inspiration to McCain by the time McCain was taken POW.

Quote:
You yourself are were a Reagan fan, and probably never even met the man.

I was just shy of my 13th birthday when Reagan was inaugurated as president. My first presidential vote was for George H. W. Bush. And while I was in college I did attend a speech that Reagan gave at the Georgia GOP's Lincoln Day dinner.
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 09:29 pm
flaja wrote:

It may be relatively easy for someone today to find a video or audio recording of this speech considering that we have the internet and cable TV. But, I would venture that if McCain didn't hear or see the speech when it was delivered in 1964, he never saw or heard it before he was taken POW in 1967. The chances that this speech had any impact on McCain are slim at best.

Well, unless one of us are going to call him and ask, I think that this part of the post is dead. Neither of us can prove or disprove it.

Quote:
Was it 2? Was it 4? Was it 200 or 400?
I find it odd that Reagan and McCain could have had such a close relationship over such a long period of time and McCain was in Congress for 6 of Reagan's 8 years in the White House and I never even heard of McCain until McCain went to the Senate- long after Regan was out of office.

I have no idea how many times they had dinner together and honestly don't have time to research it.
Nobody said they had a close relationship. You don't have to have a close relationship or, for that matter, even personally know someone in order to be inspired by them.
And just for the record, McCain went from the house to the Senate in 1986, while Reagan was still in office, replacing ironically enough, Barry Goldwater.....
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 10:38 pm
flaja wrote:

The source is suspect.

God you do hate McCain, and irrationally so.

Source

And are you suggesting that someone who is "just" an Annapolis graduate, ex-Marine Officer, and Vietnam Vet could not be trusted to write a truthful and objective book about McCain?

Your time may be better served by reading the biography rather than picking apart campaign ads to find dubious contradictions.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:21 am
tommrr wrote:
Well, unless one of us are going to call him and ask, I think that this part of the post is dead. Neither of us can prove or disprove it.

You really believe that a 2 year old speech and 10 months as governor of a state where McCain was not living is enough to inspire McCain? How shallow do you think McCain is?

Quote:
I have no idea how many times they had dinner together and honestly don't have time to research it.

Then perhaps you shouldn't base your argument on such vague material.

Quote:
Nobody said they had a close relationship. You don't have to have a close relationship or, for that matter, even personally know someone in order to be inspired by them.

Numerous dinners with the governor of a state implies a close relationship.

Quote:
And just for the record, McCain went from the house to the Senate in 1986, while Reagan was still in office, replacing ironically enough, Barry Goldwater.....

I never heard of McCain until the 1996 GOP convention. I assumed that Goldwater was still in office at the time. But if McCain went to the senate in 1986 it is even more of a wonder that I didn't learn of his existence.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:25 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
And are you suggesting that someone who is "just" an Annapolis graduate, ex-Marine Officer, and Vietnam Vet could not be trusted to write a truthful and objective book about McCain?
Quote:

I'm saying that a Marine officer, Annapolis graduate or Vietnam Vet wouldn't want to become a reporter.

Quote:
Your time may be better served by reading the biography rather than picking apart campaign ads to find dubious contradictions.

The part about McCain's philandering is enough to sour me on him permanently. The ad doesn't surprise me since McCain's entire character is suspect.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:29 am
flaja wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Quote:

I'm saying that a Marine officer, Annapolis graduate or Vietnam Vet wouldn't want to become a reporter.

Quote:

The part about McCain's philandering is enough to sour me on him permanently. The ad doesn't surprise me since McCain's entire character is suspect.

You're a fairly shallow thinking. Do issues play a part in your decision process?
0 Replies