compromise?

flaja

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 05:40 pm
kickycan wrote:
flaja wrote:
engineer wrote:
I've discovered that my local Wal Mart is a profiteering outfit. They sell Giants and Patriots stuff in the same store. Side by side! Clearly they are willing to make money selling merchandise that advocates football teams that the people running it either care nothing about or do not personally support. Makes me sick! Laughing

You equate something as important as politics with something as mundane as football? What kind of idiot are you?

Ooh, and flaja's defensive line can't seem to stop engineer, as he scores another touchdown using logic, knowledge and common sense! Yay, six points on the board for engineer!

Huh? Equating politics with football shows how shallow and utterly lacking in intellect you are. If you can equate the two as easily as you seem to be able, then your priorities are sorely disordered. People like you are the prime reason why the American political system is in such a mess.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 06:18 pm
flaja wrote:
engineer wrote:
I've discovered that my local Wal Mart is a profiteering outfit. They sell Giants and Patriots stuff in the same store. Side by side! Clearly they are willing to make money selling merchandise that advocates football teams that the people running it either care nothing about or do not personally support. Makes me sick! Laughing

You equate something as important as politics with something as mundane as football? What kind of idiot are you?

One who is older and more experienced than you. Laughing I can also understand a clear analogy and I know the difference between an Internet storefront and a "profiteering outfit." If I were you I wouldn't throw the word "idiot" around. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 06:20 pm
tommrr wrote:
engineer wrote:

Wouldn't that make them opportunistic rather than profiteerin?

Not according to Flaja.
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 06:22 pm
flaja wrote:

Huh? Equating politics with football shows how shallow and utterly lacking in intellect you are. If you can equate the two as easily as you seem to be able, then your priorities are sorely disordered. People like you are the prime reason why the American political system is in such a mess.

Nope the problem is that we are lucky if more than 50% of the electorate even bothers to vote. That is how we are stuck with the same idiots year after year.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 08:44 pm
flaja wrote:
kickycan wrote:
flaja wrote:
engineer wrote:

Ooh, and flaja's defensive line can't seem to stop engineer, as he scores another touchdown using logic, knowledge and common sense! Yay, six points on the board for engineer!

This post is exactly like a slant pass across the middle that is foiled by a quick-thinking blitzing linebacker (me) who innately knows exactly which way the offensive line (you) is going to go before it (you) even makes a play. Sack! Second down, fifteen yards to go!

Man, you suck at football! And when I say football, I'm using it as a metaphor for...well, I'm sure you get it, since you're smart about analogies and connotations 'n' stuff.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:21 pm
tommrr wrote:
flaja wrote:

Nope the problem is that we are lucky if more than 50% of the electorate even bothers to vote. That is how we are stuck with the same idiots year after year.

And isn't part of the reason why we have only a 50% turnout in a presidential election the fact that so many Americans care more about sports than they do politics? For example, today both CNN stations, one of the C-span stations and the Fox news stations on Directv spent a good 4 hours covering the baseball steroids hearing on Capitol Hill. In 1992 we had a Democrat Party nominee who was a pot-smoker and he was sent to the White House, but let some baseball player use steroids and people get up-in-arms. Anyone who would use a sports metaphor when discussing politics cares at least as much about sports as they do politics. Such people have skewed priorities.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:22 pm
kickycan wrote:
flaja wrote:
kickycan wrote:
flaja wrote:
engineer wrote:

This post is exactly like a slant pass across the middle that is foiled by a quick-thinking blitzing linebacker (me) who innately knows exactly which way the offensive line (you) is going to go before it (you) even makes a play. Sack! Second down, fifteen yards to go!

Man, you suck at football! And when I say football, I'm using it as a metaphor for...well, I'm sure you get it, since you're smart about analogies and connotations 'n' stuff.

Thank you. I absolutely despise the game.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:46 pm
He didnt get it... :wink:
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 01:07 am
nimh wrote:
real life wrote:
And the conservatives who took over Congress in 1994 while Clinton was president did pass a balanced budget and forced him to sign it.

Pity they lost all interest in the issue once a Republican was President. They sure never tried to force President Bush to sign a balanced budget.

Much more difficult to balance a budget when your country is suddenly attacked and you must go to war, only to find that the military is in terrible disrepair due to the incompetence of your predecessor.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 01:15 am
real life wrote:
nimh wrote:
real life wrote:
And the conservatives who took over Congress in 1994 while Clinton was president did pass a balanced budget and forced him to sign it.

Pity they lost all interest in the issue once a Republican was President. They sure never tried to force President Bush to sign a balanced budget.

Much more difficult to balance a budget when your country is suddenly attacked and you must go to war, only to find that the military is in terrible disrepair due to the incompetence of your predecessor.

Yeah, so that's why they passed the massive tax cuts - to make up for the big outlays in the military?

Pull the other one. They didn't even try to balance the budget. They never intended to.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 01:23 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
real life wrote:
nimh wrote:
real life wrote:

Yeah, so that's why they passed the massive tax cuts - to make up for the big outlays in the military?

Pull the other one. They didn't even try to balance the budget. They never intended to.

Cycloptichorn

The tax cuts were to stimulate the economy. Even JFK spoke on this subject. That's what tax cuts do.

The economy when GWB took office was shaky. The NASDAQ lost 50% of it's value from Jan 2000 - Jan 2001 (the last 12 months of Clinton's presidency) http://www.marketwatch.com/tools/quotes/intchart.asp?symb=NASDAQ&time=20&freq=1&comp=&compidx=aaaaa%7E0&compind=&uf=0&ma=&maval=&lf=1&lf2=&lf3=&type=2&size=1&txtstyle=&style=&submitted=true&intflavor=basic&origurl=%2Ftools%2Fquotes%2Fintchart.asp

Then came 9/11 and the economy was in need of help.

What would you have done, raised taxes I suppose?

If Republicans never intended to balance the budget, why did they force Clinton to sign a budget he didn't want?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 01:30 am
I don't care if you say you aren't a Republican any more - you believe all their idiotic claptrap and lies, so you might as well be.

There's no evidence that tax cuts actually stimulate the economy in any way.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 05:42 am
real life wrote:
If Republicans never intended to balance the budget, why did they force Clinton to sign a budget he didn't want?

Because it was a good way to block his priorities and plans on spending, which were liberal-leaning priorities and plans that the Republicans disagreed with.

The things Bush wanted to massively spend money on, on the other hand, were things the Republicans agreed with, so they instantly forgot about the whole balanced budget thing.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 07:54 am
nimh wrote:

You don't understand. I make no effort to understand football, just as you apparently make no effort to understand politics.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 07:57 am
real life wrote:
nimh wrote:
real life wrote:

Who was it that had been in charge of passing military budgets in the 6 years before 9-11 if the Republicans who had majority control over both houses of congress?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 07:59 am
flaja wrote:
nimh wrote:

You don't understand. I make no effort to understand football, just as you apparently make no effort to understand politics.

I think it's you that doesn't understand. He wasn't referring to football at all. He was using football as a metaphor... :wink:
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 08:01 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

What would you accept as evidence?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 09:03 am
flaja wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

What would you accept as evidence?

A statistical analysis that removes all other variables and shows that economic growth slows during time of higher taxes.

Hint - just removing deficit spending shows that tax rates as percentage of GDP have no real effect on growth. It is deficit spending that does more to increase growth.
0 Replies