Why would anyone vote for McCain?

blueflame1

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:45 am
This aint a new story and I aint saying I believe it. Simply pointing out that it exists. McCain has addressed the accusations for years. He could be telling the truth for all I know. "McCain's campaign criticizes group for mailer challenging his POW record in Vietnam"
01.16.08 -- 11:46AMBy Charles Gelman

McCain's campaign criticizes group for mailer challenging his POW record in Vietnam

JEFFREY COLLINS
AP Features

Jan 15, 2008 20:07 EST

Supporters of Republican John McCain on Tuesday assailed a mailer sent to state newspaper editors claiming he sold out fellow POWs to get better treatment while held prisoner in Vietnam.

"Nothing could be further from the truth. I know because I was there," Orson Swindle, a retired Marine lieutenant colonel and former prisoner of war, said in a statement about the mailing from Vietnam Veterans Against John McCain.

The group's organizer, Jerry Kiley, who said he also is a Vietnam veteran, said in a telephone phone interview that he has been trying for years to spread what he said is the truth about McCain's record.

"John McCain has created this myth that he is a hero and he is not," Kiley said from his home in Garnerville, N.Y.

Kiley's group cites as evidence a May 1973 U.S. News & World Report article by McCain in which he said he realized, on his third or fourth day of captivity after his plane was shot down in 1967, that his knee was so swollen the blood might pool in it and kill him. So he offered to give military information to his captors in exchange for medical treatment.

In the article, McCain said he told the story to make the point that the North Vietnamese only gave medical treatment to POWs if they thought they were going to get something in return. He did not say that he went through with his end of the deal.

Kiley claims information McCain gave to the North Vietnamese led to an increase in U.S. planes being shot down.

McCain's spokesman, B.J. Boling, said McCain never passed military information to the North Vietnamese. He said the campaign was publicizing the mailer "to serve as an example of how we can bring these shadowy groups out into the open."

Kiley said his group sent the mailing to 80 newspaper editors. He said he is considering sending the information to editors in states with later primaries. South Carolina's Republican primary is Saturday.

McCain's state supporters have created what they call a "Truth Squad" to counter the kind of negative attacks that derailed his candidacy here in 2000.

Four years ago in the Democratic presidential race, a group calling itself Swift Boat Veterans For Truth ran television ads that challenged Democratic nominee John Kerry's service record in Vietnam.
link
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:55 am
Here's some of whay McCain has said on this, "After being periodically slapped around for "three or four days" by his captors who wanted military information from him, McCain called for an officer on his fourth day of captivity. He told the officer, "O.K., I'll give you military information if you will take me to the hospital." -U.S. News and World Report, May 14, 1973 article written by former POW John McCain

McCain was taken to Gai Lam military hospital normally unavailable to American POWS. (U.S. government documents)

"Demands for military information were accompanied by threats to terminate my medical treatment if I [McCain] did not cooperate. Eventually, I gave them my ship's name and squadron number, and confirmed that my target had been the power plant." Page 193-194, Faith of My Fathers by John McCain.

Nov. 9, 1967 (U.S. government documents) Hanoi press began quoting him giving specific military information.

One report dated read, "To a question of the correspondent, McCain answered: 'My assignment to the Oriskany, I told myself, was due to serious losses in pilots, which were sustained by this aircraft carrier (due to its raids on the North Vietnam territory - VNA) and which necessitated replacements. From 10 to 12 pilots were transferred like me from the Forrestal to the Oriskany. Before I was shot down, we had made several sorties. Altogether, I made about 23 flights over North Vietnam.'"

In that report, McCain was quoted describing the number of aircraft in his flight, information about rescue ships, and the order of which his attack was supposed to take place.
link
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 04:10 pm
It doesn't really matter if McCain was tortured or not (except to Foofie, of course), he simply is not capable to be president. Okay, let me rephrase
that as Bush isn't capable either and got into office anyway. Rolling Eyes

McCain, by his own admittance, does not know the first thing about the economy, he knows very little to none about international leaders (remember him referring to Putin as "President of Germany"). McCain is almost 10 years past the legal retirement age in this country, yet is delusional enough to think that he is qualified to run for the most important position in the US and the world for that matter.

Perhaps he was tortured indeed, and has some residual mental challenges
left.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 05:07 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
It doesn't really matter if McCain was tortured or not (except to Foofie, of course), he simply is not capable to be president. Okay, let me rephrase

McCain, by his own admittance, does not know the first thing about the economy, he knows very little to none about international leaders (remember him referring to Putin as "President of Germany"). McCain is almost 10 years past the legal retirement age in this country, yet is delusional enough to think that he is qualified to run for the most important position in the US and the world for that matter.

left.

I really don't see how McCain is any less qualified than Clinton, Obama, or Huckabee (**shudder**).
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 05:12 pm
A Presidential candidate who sings bomb, bomb, bomb Iran in public is a ticking time bomb imo. McCain's temper could be a problem in the campaign and he is easily provoked.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 05:14 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
A Presidential candidate who sings bomb, bomb, bomb Iran in public is a ticking time bomb imo. McCain's temper could be a problem in the campaign and he is easily provoked.

Thankfully Bush hasn't eliminated ALL of our checks and balances yet (that could change before he's gone though).
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 05:17 pm
blueflame
Well-said
Thanks
Expose the hypocracy and
uphold decency as you always strive.
My regards
Rama Fuchs
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 07:18 am
CalamityJane wrote:

left.

Over 20 years in the Senate, working tax bills is ignored from your analysis?

Over 20 years in the Senate working foreign relations is ignored from your analysis?

But the fact he is 70 years old is relavent?

Compare his experience to the carpetbagger from New York. She can not keep track of her billing records and you will trust her with your taxes?

The youngster from Ill has a total of how many years of service in the House and Senate?

Very shallow analysis, yet not unexpected.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 07:20 am
blueflame1 wrote:

Do you have the tape of that? I thought that was a very funny routine.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 09:55 am
blueflame1 wrote:
This aint a new story and I aint saying I believe it. Simply pointing out that it exists.

Well, to quote Cyclo, you posted it so you must believe it.

McCain has addressed the accusations for years. He could be telling the truth for all I know. "McCain's campaign criticizes group for mailer challenging his POW record in Vietnam"
01.16.08 -- 11:46AMBy Charles Gelman

McCain's campaign criticizes group for mailer challenging his POW record in Vietnam

JEFFREY COLLINS
AP Features

Jan 15, 2008 20:07 EST

Supporters of Republican John McCain on Tuesday assailed a mailer sent to state newspaper editors claiming he sold out fellow POWs to get better treatment while held prisoner in Vietnam.

"Nothing could be further from the truth. I know because I was there," Orson Swindle, a retired Marine lieutenant colonel and former prisoner of war, said in a statement about the mailing from Vietnam Veterans Against John McCain.

The group's organizer, Jerry Kiley, who said he also is a Vietnam veteran, said in a telephone phone interview that he has been trying for years to spread what he said is the truth about McCain's record.

"John McCain has created this myth that he is a hero and he is not," Kiley said from his home in Garnerville, N.Y.

Kiley's group cites as evidence a May 1973 U.S. News & World Report article by McCain in which he said he realized, on his third or fourth day of captivity after his plane was shot down in 1967, that his knee was so swollen the blood might pool in it and kill him. So he offered to give military information to his captors in exchange for medical treatment.

In the article, McCain said he told the story to make the point that the North Vietnamese only gave medical treatment to POWs if they thought they were going to get something in return. He did not say that he went through with his end of the deal.

Kiley claims information McCain gave to the North Vietnamese led to an increase in U.S. planes being shot down.

McCain's spokesman, B.J. Boling, said McCain never passed military information to the North Vietnamese. He said the campaign was publicizing the mailer "to serve as an example of how we can bring these shadowy groups out into the open."

Kiley said his group sent the mailing to 80 newspaper editors. He said he is considering sending the information to editors in states with later primaries. South Carolina's Republican primary is Saturday.

McCain's state supporters have created what they call a "Truth Squad" to counter the kind of negative attacks that derailed his candidacy here in 2000.

Four years ago in the Democratic presidential race, a group calling itself Swift Boat Veterans For Truth ran television ads that challenged Democratic nominee John Kerry's service record in Vietnam.
link

Quote:
"Demands for military information were accompanied by threats to terminate my medical treatment if I [McCain] did not cooperate. Eventually, I gave them my ship's name and squadron number, and confirmed that my target had been the power plant." Page 193-194, Faith of My Fathers by John McCain.

Information already known to his captors and not classified.

Quote:
One report dated read, "To a question of the correspondent, McCain answered: 'My assignment to the Oriskany, I told myself, was due to serious losses in pilots, which were sustained by this aircraft carrier (due to its raids on the North Vietnam territory - VNA) and which necessitated replacements. From 10 to 12 pilots were transferred like me from the Forrestal to the Oriskany. Before I was shot down, we had made several sorties. Altogether, I made about 23 flights over North Vietnam.'"

In that report, McCain was quoted describing the number of aircraft in his flight, information about rescue ships, and the order of which his attack was supposed to take place.

Again, not classified and it is in keeping with military regs.
He gave them info they already knew, and was possibly given medical attention.

The military allows that.
You feed your captors just enough unclassified info to get the torture to ease, without revealing anything to them.
In the Hanoi Hilton, our prisoners had a standing order, for every piece of nonclassified info you gave, it had to come at the price of one hour of torture.

For you or anyone to accuse McCain of giving up any info to the NVA is to ignore EVERYTHING said by the men who were held with him, and it ignores the evidence and statements made by the men who were doing the torturing.

Admiral James Stockdale had given the order allowing the POW's to reveal nonclassified info, if it would alleviate the torture.
Stockdale was the SRO of all the POW's, he was the highest ranking officer and was in command of the prisoners.

http://www.pownetwork.org/bios/s/s118.htm

Lt. Everett Alvarez, captured on 5 august 1964, was the first naval aviator captured.
He was in the Hanoi Hilton when McCain was brought there.
http://www.pownetwork.org/bios/a/a038.htm

He had nothing but praise for McCain and his actions during his captivity.

McCain info...

http://www.pownetwork.org/bios/m/m125.htm
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 10:10 am
woiyo wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:

left.

Over 20 years in the Senate working foreign relations is ignored from your analysis?

Compare his experience to the carpetbagger from New York. She can not keep track of her billing records and you will trust her with your taxes?

The youngster from Ill has a total of how many years of service in the House and Senate?

Then it is even more embarrassing that after 20 years of being in the
Senate, McCain makes such statements about the economy and international leaders. Was he sleeping for 20 years?

I don't follow your carpetbagger - what's that?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 10:19 am
CalamityJane wrote:
woiyo wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:

left.

Then it is even more embarrassing that after 20 years of being in the
Senate, McCain makes such statements about the economy and international leaders. Was he sleeping for 20 years?

I don't follow your carpetbagger - what's that?
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 10:38 am
Everyone "breaks" under determined torture. The only question is how long a prisoner can holdout, and how little useful information he will divulge.

John McCain was tortured, really tortured by serious men who knew how to inflict pain and suffering, and without the least restraint. He didn't "have" to fly dangerous missions over North Vietnam, but he did it because he regarded those missions as his duty. The Left has criticized Bush for using his connections to avoid going in Harm's Way. Now they would like to make light of McCain's courage and dedication.

He was badly injured leaving his aircraft, and made prisoner immediately on hitting the ground. There he was beaten brutally, bayoneted, and dragged through the streets as a trophy. He was denied medical treatment for his wounds and multiple broken bones for weeks, or months. Once his captors discovered who they had as a hostage, the treatment worsened as they pressured McCain to provided propaganda for them. All they asked in return for a bit of rice and an aspirin was that McCain condemn the United States as an imperialistic outlaw nation out to enslave Vietnam. If you had multiple untreated wounds and broken bones, had been starved and kept in solitary confinement for weeks on end, would you be able to resist? John McCain did.

He could have been repatriated and ended his suffering, gotten proper medical care, but chose to remain as a mistreated POW until every POW who had been in custody longer than he had were released. All he had to do was get on the freedom bird, but he remained loyal to his comrades and the code.

Even today John McCain bears the marks of his courage, gallantry and dedication to upholding the honor of our country. His hair turned white in captivity. His face is misshapen from being bones beaten and crushed by enemy rifle butts. He can no longer lift his arms more than shoulder high because the bones never healed properly. Every day he has to live with some residual pain, yet he has dedicated his civilian life to serving the country. He has been a major player in the Senate involved in domestic and foreign affairs for 20 years. He holds traditional conservative values, but has never been an extremist trying to force reality into theoretical molds. He is strong enough, confident enough in his own beliefs, to stand alone against Party when necessary, and yet knows when conciliation and compromise are necessary.

Who will vote for John McCain? He will get the votes of moderates in both Parties. Older and more mature voters, the largest single reliable block of voters will prefer John McCain to the kid with a lot of charisma, but virtually no experience in life or the brutal practical world of national politics. Those who believe in individual responsibility and want a Federal government that is not all pervasive will prefer John McCain, to a woman betrayed by her husband who would like to insinuate even more Federal government controls into every American's life, and make them pay for it with greater taxes. Those who want to redistribute the wealth, won't vote for McCain, but those who support our military fighting a dedicated enemy will vote for John McCain.

I will vote for John McCain.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 11:52 am
CalamityJane wrote:
McCain, by his own admittance, does not know the first thing about the economy, ...

What were his exact words, CJ?

Hint: "The issue of economics is not something I've understood as well as I should ..."

That's probably true of both Clinton and Obama as well.

Quote:
... he knows very little to none about international leaders (remember him referring to Putin as "President of Germany").

That's just flat out wrong. (not the part about him referring to Putin as the President of Germany ... that's just a slip of the tongue, nothing more.)

Quote:
... McCain is almost 10 years past the legal retirement age in this country, ...

But with more energy than most men 20 years younger. :wink:

Quote:
... yet is delusional enough to think that he is qualified to run for the most important position in the US and the world for that matter.

He is VASTLY more qualified than either of the Democratic front runners. No question about it.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 11:52 am
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 12:34 pm
LAURA INGRAHAM on CNN:

Quote:
McCain has been -- has so radicalized key conservatives that some have vowed to turn themselves into suicide voters next November by pulling the lever for Hillary Clinton.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 02:22 pm
I feel sorry for the dems.
Why the hell they spend billions to be the kichen cleaner.
Bush had cooked and the kitchen is so dirty.
let those half baked potatoes clean the kitchen.
I appeal to all the legalized, legitimate voters keep aloof from this nonsense.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 08:07 pm
Asherman wrote:
Everyone "breaks" under determined torture. The only question is how long a prisoner can holdout, and how little useful information he will divulge.

John McCain was tortured, really tortured by serious men who knew how to inflict pain and suffering, and without the least restraint. He didn't "have" to fly dangerous missions over North Vietnam, but he did it because he regarded those missions as his duty. The Left has criticized Bush for using his connections to avoid going in Harm's Way. Now they would like to make light of McCain's courage and dedication.

He was badly injured leaving his aircraft, and made prisoner immediately on hitting the ground. There he was beaten brutally, bayoneted, and dragged through the streets as a trophy. He was denied medical treatment for his wounds and multiple broken bones for weeks, or months. Once his captors discovered who they had as a hostage, the treatment worsened as they pressured McCain to provided propaganda for them. All they asked in return for a bit of rice and an aspirin was that McCain condemn the United States as an imperialistic outlaw nation out to enslave Vietnam. If you had multiple untreated wounds and broken bones, had been starved and kept in solitary confinement for weeks on end, would you be able to resist? John McCain did.

He could have been repatriated and ended his suffering, gotten proper medical care, but chose to remain as a mistreated POW until every POW who had been in custody longer than he had were released. All he had to do was get on the freedom bird, but he remained loyal to his comrades and the code.

Even today John McCain bears the marks of his courage, gallantry and dedication to upholding the honor of our country. His hair turned white in captivity. His face is misshapen from being bones beaten and crushed by enemy rifle butts. He can no longer lift his arms more than shoulder high because the bones never healed properly. Every day he has to live with some residual pain, yet he has dedicated his civilian life to serving the country. He has been a major player in the Senate involved in domestic and foreign affairs for 20 years. He holds traditional conservative values, but has never been an extremist trying to force reality into theoretical molds. He is strong enough, confident enough in his own beliefs, to stand alone against Party when necessary, and yet knows when conciliation and compromise are necessary.

Who will vote for John McCain? He will get the votes of moderates in both Parties. Older and more mature voters, the largest single reliable block of voters will prefer John McCain to the kid with a lot of charisma, but virtually no experience in life or the brutal practical world of national politics. Those who believe in individual responsibility and want a Federal government that is not all pervasive will prefer John McCain, to a woman betrayed by her husband who would like to insinuate even more Federal government controls into every American's life, and make them pay for it with greater taxes. Those who want to redistribute the wealth, won't vote for McCain, but those who support our military fighting a dedicated enemy will vote for John McCain.

I will vote for John McCain.

All beautifully written. I will vote for John MCain, not just for the abilities he will show as Commander In Chief, but also because he exemplifies what this country can produce in the way of patriots. In my opinion, his being President would vindicate in some small way all the military casualties and wounded during the Vietnam Era. Now let us pledge (from Wikipedia):

The Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag: "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.", should be rendered by standing at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. When not in uniform men should remove any non-religious headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should remain silent, face the flag, and render the military salute.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 11:42 pm
I'd say, the McCain voters are in good company here. Laughing
Too bad, you're going to lose!!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 11:45 pm
Ash-

Quote:
Now they would like to make light of McCain's courage and dedication.

No way. I disagree with nearly everything you write but let me tell you that this leftie would never do that, ever. People who do don't have a clue what he went through.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies