McCain: Tim Pawlenty, Governor of Minnesota

Obama: Bill Richardson, Governor of New Mexico
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 08:31 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
real life wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
I'm thinking Edwards will be the man for Obama.

And the more I listen to Mike Huckabee on the talk show circuit, I'm beginning to think he is the probable running mate for McCain.

I don't see McCain picking a conservative running mate.

His instincts don't go that direction.

He'll look for someone popular with the media, as he himself has tried to be.

I missed this post of yours before RL so will respond now. Huckabee is conservative on the same issues as McCain is conservative and liberal on the same issues as McCain is liberal. They agree on illegal immigration, for instance, and seem to hold pretty much similar views on the role of government. Both advocate more government involvement in stuff than I think wise, but at least both advocate less government than do the Democratic contenders.

Huckabee did very very well with evangelicals in the party. This is an important voting block and one where McCain doesn't do as well. And it is obvious that Huckabee and McCain like each other.

So......we'll see.

They may be politically compatible, but Huck isn't popular with the media, so I think he's out.

McCain's overriding ambition, ever since the Keating 5 incident , has been to be loved by the media. He well remembers how they nearly destroyed his reputation and is determined not to let it happen again.

McCain's not worried about evangelicals, 'who else are they gonna vote for?' is his attitude. And he's mostly right.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 07:50 am
You may be right RL, but seeing Huckabee EVERYWHERE on the media lately, I'm not so convinced the media views him with any more disfavor than anybody who tilts right of center.

But we'll see. Huckabee would not be my first choice because some of the issues he and McCain agree with are issues I disagree on with both and are issues important to me. I'm just seeing clues that suggest he may indeed be the choice.

It sure wouldn't be the first time I read it wrong though. I didn't think McCain would be the GOP nominee. Smile
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 04:58 pm
Mike Huckabee: Would like to be John McCain's running mate; apologizes for Obama remark

Staff
AP News

May 18, 2008 12:29 EST

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee said Sunday he'd like to be John McCain's running mate.

"There's no one I would rather be on a ticket with than John McCain," said Huckabee, who was a stronger than expected challenger against McCain for the Republican presidential nomination. "All during the campaign when I was his rival, not a running mate, there was no one who was more complimentary of him publicly and privately. ... I still wanted to win, but if I couldn't, John McCain was always the guy I would have supported and have now supported.

"But whether or not I do the best for him, that's something that only he can decide," Huckabee said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Huckabee, an ordained Baptist minister who had strong support from religious conservatives, won the leadoff Iowa caucuses and seven other states. He left the race in March after Arizona Sen. McCain clinched the nomination following a series of big victories.

Huckabee also apologized again for remarks he made Friday to the National Rifle Association. Responding to an offstage noise during a speech, Huckabee said it was Democrat Barack Obama diving to the floor after someone had aimed a gun at him. Huckabee issued an apology Friday evening.

"It was a dumb, off-the-cuff remark," he said. "I apologized for it immediately. Anybody that knows me knows that I would never, ever try to inject something like that to create any dangerous moment for any candidate."

Huckabee added: "It wasn't the first dumb thing I've ever said. And ... it won't be the last dumb thing I've ever said."
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 07:37 am
Oh, my. My greatest nightmare would be Hillary on one ticket and a fundy on the other. I've been on the fence re McCain. Huckabee on the ticket would actually push me to vote for Hillary.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 07:43 am
Unless there is a last-minute surprise and Hillary wins the nomination, I really don't think she will be on the Democratic ticket. There may be some respectful back-and-forth to help get her supporters on board, but I bet a long time ago that they wouldn't share a ticket, and I stand by that. Too many of the same positives, too many of the same negatives, too contradictory of core campaign messages, and plus they REALLY don't like each other by now. Laughing

Interesting article about why a "Dream Ticket" would be a bad idea:

http://www.economist.com/world/na/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11375813&fsrc=RSS

Last bit:

Quote:
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 07:50 am
Foxfyre wrote:
You may be right RL, but seeing Huckabee EVERYWHERE on the media lately, I'm not so convinced the media views him with any more disfavor than anybody who tilts right of center.

But we'll see. Huckabee would not be my first choice because some of the issues he and McCain agree with are issues I disagree on with both and are issues important to me. I'm just seeing clues that suggest he may indeed be the choice.

It sure wouldn't be the first time I read it wrong though. I didn't think McCain would be the GOP nominee. Smile

I think the media might like Huck to be the running mate, but not because they like him. They may view him as an easy target, and therefore a way to benefit their pro-Democrat agenda.
0 Replies