And the Running Mate Will Be?

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 04:53 pm
OK, I have jumped the gun a bit. The candidates have not been decided, but as of now, basically there are four in contention. They are, in alphabetical order, so as not to slant anything, Clinton, McCain, Obama and Romney.

It seems that there are strong feelings both for and against all the candidates. IMO, a strong running mate that would unite the members of each political party would go a long way to enable one candidate or another to stand out of the pack.

If you had your druthers, what would be your "dream team" ticket?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,212 • Replies: 86
No top replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 05:05 pm
My personal choice for a Vice-Presidential candidate with John McCain at the head of the ticket is....... Colin Powell.

All right, not going to happen. Even if offered the candidacy, I believe Mr. Powell would turn it down, but oh what a sweet ticket that would be. The one draw back is that both are strong in military and foreign affairs, and just a wee bit weak on domestic issues. Oh well.... can't have everthing. A good friend of mine likes Joe Biden for the Vice-Presidency.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 05:06 pm
Dream team? - Jesus Christ and Gandhi, if I can't have them I will have to settle for Obama & Edwards.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 05:07 pm
Quinney and Doo Hoo
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 05:14 pm
I agree with you, Phoenix, but I have to think some more about it.e

In the meantime, I see Asherman's point re McCain and Powell.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 05:18 pm
Biden (or perhaps Dodd) would be good VP's for the Dems. Bloomberg for the Republicans.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 05:29 pm
Heh, or Bloomberg for a Democrat.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 06:04 am
I think that Powell is a good candidate, but I think that he has been tainted by his association with Bush. Also, he is in his late sixties.

Normally, that would not be a problem, but Obama appears to be capturing the imagination of the youth vote. I think that if Obama wins for the Democrats, we need a younger person on the Republican side to appeal to the youthful voters, to conteract the image of McCain as an old man.

My son came up with an interesting idea, J.C. Watts. A former Oklahoma congressional representative, he is black, 50, good looking, erudite and articulate. A former football player at O.U., and the Canadian Football League, he served as a Baptist minister.

Quote:
He is chairman of the J.C. Watts Companies, which works with clients on strategies for business development, communications and public affairs. He serves on the boards of the Boy Scouts of America, the United States Military Academy, Africare, BNSF Railway, Clear Channel Communications, Dillard's and Terex Corporation. He is the previous chairman of GOPAC. He writes a monthly column for The Sporting News and is a frequent political commentator on many nationally-syndicated political talk shows, including The Tavis Smiley Show, The Situation Room, Hannity and Colmes, and Meet the Press.

Quote:
Continuing to be a rising star for the national Republican Party, Watts was selected in 1997 to deliver the Republican response to President Bill Clinton's State of the Union Address. Watts stirred controversy when he chastised some black Democrats and civil rights leaders as "race-hustling poverty pimps", whose careers he said depend on keeping blacks dependent on the government.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.C._Watts

What do you think?

http://www.nndb.com/people/991/000049844/
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 03:20 pm
McCain and Lieberman. The problem, in my opinion, with many "tickets" is there might be two people competing for the spotlight. Lieberman, in my opinion, would not be in contention for the spotlight. Having been on a Democratic ticket before, when he ran with Gore, he might just get some Democratic voters now?
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 03:28 pm
Lieberman, another fiercely independent thinker willing to buck partisan politics, would be a good candidate in my opinion. Actually, I trust John McCain's character and judgment to choose a running-mate.
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 11:07 pm
If only Ron Paul would throw in with McCain. Turn Tehran to glass, get some oil, legalize pot, manufacture some ****, return to hard currency. It would be awesome. There'd probably be a giant urine stain on the globe right beneath whatever city is the capital of Canada.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 12:19 am
OK , I'll play, even though I'm not sure Hilly/Bill or Obama will get the nomination.

Obama will choose Kathleen Sebelius. He won't choose a white man.

Hillary will choose Bill Richardson.

--------------------------------------------------

The Republican side is much harder. I confess, I have no idea yet. Haley Barbour comes to mind. He helped Mississippi recover from Hurricane Katrina while the Dems next door in LA were still playing cya after mismanaging their resources and failing for years to plan for what everyone knew would occur.

But there seems to be three R's in contention there, not just two.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 09:58 am
real life wrote:
But there seems to be three R's in contention there, not just two.

Haha, not suprised you'd be a Huckabee fan.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 11:44 am
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 11:51 am
It would be quite a coup if Colin Powell endorsed Obama, but in the end, I believe he will support John McCain in the general election. He would be one hell of a VP nominee for the GOP. One Powell endorsement, to me is worth, all the Hollywood endorsements combined... and the Kennedys as well.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 11:54 am
That was an interesting interview, Osso, thanks for posting it. Frank James (the Swamp, Chi Tribune blog) speculates that it means Powell will back Obama. I dunno. That would certainly be nice.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 01:22 pm
X marks the spot
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 09:33 am
I dont know about the dem VP candidate, because it depends on who wins the dem nomination.

As for McCains VP choice, I think that Sarah Palin might be an excellent choice, based on her youth, her politics, and on the fact that she is already a governor...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 12:08 am
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 12:46 am
I expect McCain to go for Trent Lott, Obama will so for some repected establishment guy....maybe Daschle
0 Replies