And the Running Mate Will Be?

RexRed

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 08:29 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
From the always reliable Robert Novak:
    Close supporters of Mitt Romney have been injecting into the political rumor stream an unsubstantiated report that Sen. John McCain obtained the vital endorsement of Florida Gov. Charlie Crist by promising him the vice presidential nomination. Spreading that rumor reflects the anger in the Romney camp over the late endorsements of McCain by Crist and Sen. Mel Martinez of Florida. Until then, the Romney insiders claim, their private polls showed a lead in the Jan. 29 Florida primary that in fact delivered a crushing victory for McCain.
Of course, one must take this with a healthy dose of salt. Novak is the go-to guy for GOP slander and innuendo (see Plame, Valerie), so this is probably just a jab at Crist from a pissed-off Romney aide. Still, some other sources are taking the possibility of Crist as McCain's running mate seriously. But that merely brings up the "Question that None May Ask:"
    Meanwhile, Crist needs to ask himself if he is ready for the intense scrutiny that comes with being a national candidate. He is a media darling these days, but the minute McCain gave him the nod, reporters would start fine-combing his record and his life for revealing political and personal nuggets.... As a candidate for governor, Crist, who is divorced, was the target of scurrilous rumors and personal smears in the blogosphere. In a national election, he could expect all of that garbage to be recycled and then some.
Translation: "scurrilous rumors" = he's gay.

What, queer eye for the White House? Smile

Where's the fab five when you need a total make over?

http://www.gothamist.com/images/2003_6_queereye.jpg
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 09:50 pm
snood wrote:
real life wrote:
More likely the polls were just wrong.

Who votes for a candidate because the governor says so?

No endorsement means a thing to me, except as occasional humor.

Seriously, can anybody tell me that they have either made up their mind, or changed their mind based on an endorsement?

Ever?

If so, I'd love to hear why that made the difference. I just don't see it.

I was just reading about the little spikes in support for Hillary that pollsters were trying to connect to her recent "humanizing" appearances on SNL and John Stewart's show. Seemed totally plausible to me - the idea that people would tend to like a candidate more who showed a willingness to unclench their ass cheeks and laugh at themselves every so often.

So, reading the above quote, I naturally had to give some thought to whether or not it's a truism that no one "has either made up their mind, or changed their mind based on an endorsement."

"Hmmm", I said to myself, "at first whiff, that smells like some bull excrement to me." "Has anyone given second thought to an important decision like voting for a political candidate because of someone elses' endorsement?"

Well, I think probably so. It's totally natural for people to consider other opinions, and even moreso when that second opinion comes from someone who is much liked/loved/respected. If someone's best friend dislikes or distrusts someone or something, that person or thing is more likely to become suspect. It's human nature.

Those who have been granted the mantle of "expert" on ostensibly subjective entertainments like fine foods and movies influence audiences - simply because people think they know what they are talking about.

It's not a sign of daftness or a flaw in character for someone to be marginally influenced by the opinions of some "other" opinion they hold in regard. And in cases where the advice or critiques have proved to be reliable about something in the past - even more than marginally influenced.

To declare preemptively or make the suggestion that no one "has either made up their mind, or changed their mind based on an endorsement" is in my humble opinion the height of self-important, myopic, ignorant arrogance.

And by the way, completely in character with the person who made the statement.

Unfortunately you seem to have allowed your partisanship for your candidate rob you of your previous civil tone, snood.

I'll stick by my position, it's more likely the polls were wrong than that a last minute endorsement swayed the votes of a large number of Floridians.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 10:11 pm
You just worry about your own "tone" there, "real life" - and I'll worry about mine.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 11:33 pm
Since Dems have decided that Obama's association with racists and terrorists is not a liability, I suggest that he make a bold play by choosing Sen. Robert Byrd (D - WV) as his running mate.

Byrd's past as a Ku Klux Klansman shouldn't be an issue, should it?

After all it was much farther back in history than either the racist sermons of Jeremiah Wright, Obama's pastor; or the bomb setting of Bill Ayers, Obama's friend.

It would be an in-your-face move, choosing someone with both a racist AND a terrorist past as running mate.

And he's a respected Democratic officeholder.

Moreover, Byrd's home state of WV proved rather unfriendly to Obama in the primary, but would certainly turn out for one of it's own, probably bringing along regional appeal to neighboring states in the mix.

How bout it? Robert Byrd for VP.

He's got the long resume that Obama lacks, and as 'Dean of the Senate' is uniquely qualified to function as President of the Senate, one of the few official duties of the VP.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 11:53 pm
And the Running Mate Will Be?..................Edwards!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 12:03 am
Rice!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 12:06 am
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 10:32 am
I'm thinking Edwards will be the man for Obama.

And the more I listen to Mike Huckabee on the talk show circuit, I'm beginning to think he is the probable running mate for McCain.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 10:38 am
No Edwards. He can't even carry his home state. Doesn't add anything to the ticket.

Putting Huckabee on the ticket guarantees a Republican loss this Fall. There's no end to the amount of hay the Dems can make over a fellow who advocates changing our Constitution to reflect 'god's will.'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 10:43 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
No Edwards. He can't even carry his home state. Doesn't add anything to the ticket.

He adds a white southern man and many people would be happier to see him on the ticket than most other possibilities.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 10:46 am
Green Witch wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

He adds a white southern man and many people would be happier to see him on the ticket than most other possibilities.

He won't be the one. It's too reminiscent of Kerry's failed bid. Edwards isn't a particularly attractive VP choice either; other then the fact he's a white guy, what does he bring?

Jim Webb would be about a million times more effective, and would flip Virginia instantly to the Dems.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 11:22 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Green Witch wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

He won't be the one. It's too reminiscent of Kerry's failed bid. Edwards isn't a particularly attractive VP choice either; other then the fact he's a white guy, what does he bring?

Jim Webb would be about a million times more effective, and would flip Virginia instantly to the Dems.

Cycloptichorn

Dems assumed that both Al Gore in 2000 and John Edwards in 2004 would instantly bring their home state to the Dems.

But neither one did.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 11:27 am
Foxfyre wrote:

And the more I listen to Mike Huckabee on the talk show circuit, I'm beginning to think he is the probable running mate for McCain.

I don't see McCain picking a conservative running mate.

His instincts don't go that direction.

He'll look for someone popular with the media, as he himself has tried to be.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 11:36 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Putting Huckabee on the ticket guarantees a Republican loss this Fall. There's no end to the amount of hay the Dems can make over a fellow who advocates changing our Constitution to reflect 'god's will.'

Cycloptichorn

How 'bout Obama's promise to the congregation to 'build a Kingdom right here on Earth' ?

Any objection to that?

Quote:
Republicans no longer have a firm grip on religion in political discourse, Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama told Sunday worshippers.

The senator from Illinois delivered his campaign message to a multiracial evangelical congregation in traditionally conservative Greenville, South Carolina. "I think it's important, particularly for those of us in the Democratic Party, to not cede values and faith to any one party," Obama told reporters outside the Redemption World Outreach Center where he attended services.....

He finished his brief remarks by saying, "We're going to keep on praising together. I am confident that we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth.".....
from http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/10/08/obama.faith/index.html

Or how 'bout Obama's 'Committed Christian' mailer? Any objection to that?

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/01/obama_lit_in_south_carolina_pushes_back_on_false_muslim_smears.php
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 11:56 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

I agree. I must admit that Huckabee IS sharp, but I would never vote for someone who thinks that the bible is more important than the Constitution.

I never could figure out why an obviously very intelligent person would leave his brains at the door when it comes to religion.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 12:16 pm
real life wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

How 'bout Obama's promise to the congregation to 'build a Kingdom right here on Earth' ?

Any objection to that?

Quote:
Republicans no longer have a firm grip on religion in political discourse, Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama told Sunday worshippers.

The senator from Illinois delivered his campaign message to a multiracial evangelical congregation in traditionally conservative Greenville, South Carolina. "I think it's important, particularly for those of us in the Democratic Party, to not cede values and faith to any one party," Obama told reporters outside the Redemption World Outreach Center where he attended services.....

He finished his brief remarks by saying, "We're going to keep on praising together. I am confident that we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth.".....
from http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/10/08/obama.faith/index.html

Or how 'bout Obama's 'Committed Christian' mailer? Any objection to that?

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/01/obama_lit_in_south_carolina_pushes_back_on_false_muslim_smears.php

Go for it. If you think it's a winning issue to attack him on, I suggest that your side does exactly that.

I think that the Republican party would fracture right in two if Huck were put on the ticket. Most of the members of the Fiscon group would **** a brick.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 12:18 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

I agree. I must admit that Huckabee IS sharp, but I would never vote for someone who thinks that the bible is more important than the Constitution.

I never could figure out why an obviously very intelligent person would leave his brains at the door when it comes to religion.

Actually I think this concept is a bit out of context. What Huckabee actually said--if I am recalling this correctly--is that it is easier to amend the Constitution than it is to amend the "Word of God"; i.e. the Bible. The context in which he thought the Constitution should be amended to reflect the "Word of God" was in his support for a Constitutional amendment defining marriage and it was restricted to that one issue only. He was also speaking to a pretty fundamentalist Christian audience when he said it--it is unlikely he would have phrased it in the same way at a Teamster's meeting. Smile

I am sure that Huckabee, as an ordained Baptist minister, would likely say that the Bible is more important to HIM than the Constitution, but that in no way is saying that the Constitution is not important. For a person of strong Baptist beliefs, that would be no different than us saying that water is more important than food which does not suggest that food is not necessary or important.

(P.S. Obama and Huckabee are both on the record as supporting the traditional deifntiion of marriage. McCain has been pretty ambivalent on that issue and I don't know if Clinton has addressed it at all.)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 01:05 pm
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/05/16/huckabee-jokes-about-obama-ducking-a-gunman/

My guess is Huck won't be anywhere near the ticket.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 09:10 am
Webb will be on Meet the Press tomorrow. Word is, he's bucking the usual "aw-shucks, what? Me? vice-president?" spiel, and he's actively promoting himself as a prospect.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 09:30 am
real life wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

I don't see McCain picking a conservative running mate.

His instincts don't go that direction.

He'll look for someone popular with the media, as he himself has tried to be.

I missed this post of yours before RL so will respond now. Huckabee is conservative on the same issues as McCain is conservative and liberal on the same issues as McCain is liberal. They agree on illegal immigration, for instance, and seem to hold pretty much similar views on the role of government. Both advocate more government involvement in stuff than I think wise, but at least both advocate less government than do the Democratic contenders.

Huckabee did very very well with evangelicals in the party. This is an important voting block and one where McCain doesn't do as well. And it is obvious that Huckabee and McCain like each other.

So......we'll see.
0 Replies