Comics to teach German pupils about Nazis

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 01:12 am
Quote:
Comic books land in German classrooms today to help schoolchildren learn about Hitler and the Nazi persecution of the Jews. Entitled The Search, the cartoons are similar in style to the Tin Tin books, but their subject matter includes Hitler's rise to power and the horror of the Nazi death camp at Auschwitz.

The comic strip has been produced by the Dutch-based Anne Frank Centre, and relies heavily on drawings by the Dutch artist, Eric Heuvel. It will be used during history lessons for pupils aged 13 to 16 in Berlin and the state of North Rhine Westphalia from today, the end of the week that marked the 75th anniversary of the Nazi Party gaining power.
Source: The Independent

http://i31.tinypic.com/xqg9pl.jpg
Source: The Guardian, 01.02.08, page 9

Quote:
It is the second of two graphic novels illustrated by Eric Heuvel on the subject. The first, A Family Secret, was published in 2003. The books, which are both available in English, are the brainchild of the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam, a museum housed in the building where Anne hid.
Die Suche's creators took great care to keep the fictional saga factually accurate. Historians were closely involved with the project and many of the drawings are based on original Nazi-era photographs.

In Germany, which this week marks the 75th anniversary of Hitler's elevation to German chancellor, many fear that young people are disinterested in or misinformed about this important chapter of history.

However, the Anne Frank Zentrum has found that using comic books to liven up lessons is old hat for many teachers. "There was no initial scepticism about the comic-book format for this purpose," Franz said. "In fact, it turned out that many teachers we spoke to had already used Astérix in their history lessons."

Source: The Guardian
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,769 • Replies: 7
No top replies

msolga

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 02:13 am
What ever the method/s employed, Walter, I have the greatest respect for any nation which allows & openly encourages open scrutiny of it's past "misdeeds". There is nothing worse than the deliberate re-writing of history, or self-serving white washes. So bravo to your government & your education system!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 10:38 am
walter :
maybe i can help design one of these comic books .
i can still recall some of the jokes that were floating around towards the end of the war - perhaps they need to be illustrated .

NSDAP = nun sind die auch pleite

german girl sending short telegram to parents :
"KdF - BDM - NSV"

it was less expensive than sending the full version :

kannst dich freuen !
bin deutsche mutter !
nun such vati !

i still have a good supply on hand Laughing
(greifen sie zu solange der kleine vorrat reicht !)
hbg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 10:40 am
There's always "Maus."
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 10:52 am
the slogan "ARBEIT EDELT" was given a short answer by many hamburgers : "ARBEIT EDELT , aber wir bleiben buergerlich ! " .

during the war we had to spent half a school day going from house-to-house and collect stuff for "recycling" to help win the war - it was probably an early attempt at recycling .
two or three kids were usually assigned a block of appartments for collecting . making the rounds we would often sing :
"eisen , lumpen , knochen und papier , ausgechlag'ne zaehne sammeln wir" .
or for a change we would sing : "hab'n se nich n'en knochen fuer die heilsarmee zum kochen" .

the slogan : "keiner soll hungern und frieren" was often changed to : "keiner soll hungern OHNE zu frieren" .

i wonder if my contributions would be good enough for the comics ?
hbg
0 Replies

MarySzy

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 02:35 pm
The German Government has done a wonderful job in teaching about the errors of the past. Nevertheless, after spending a good deal of time in Germany, I am convinced that the Nazi spirit still lives---deeply hidden and covert but observable easily enough when you really get to know the inhabitants. Many have an insufferable conceit that they are always right!
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 05:31 pm
MarySzy wrote:
The German Government has done a wonderful job in teaching about the errors of the past. Nevertheless, after spending a good deal of time in Germany, I am convinced that the Nazi spirit still lives---deeply hidden and covert but observable easily enough when you really get to know the inhabitants. Many have an insufferable conceit that they are always right!

Ver-ry in-te-rest-ing!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 05:38 pm
Huh.

I have a memory I want to add here, though it isn't a comic.. and directed to Germans of more than a half century ago. So, not so much meant as a tangent, but a footnote.

In the early fifties, probably early '51, my father directed a documentary to show the german people about american working women. I acted in in (hah!) setting the dining room table, I assume in place of a working mother. Now I well know how screwy this was, but I was, what, nine. I think it was called "American Working Women" and was likely connected to RKO Pathe. I have it on a reel, but I assume the film is destroyed by age by now.
0 Replies