DOES OUR GOVERNMENT ADEQUATELY "SUPPORT" OUR CONSTITUTION?

ican711nm

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 10:07 am
akaMechsmith wrote:
Ican, As your local mechanic I must inform you that directed tax vouchers for charity probably will never fly without one heck of a head wind. The head wind is what caused the problem in the first plase!

I am compelled by your logic to agree, albeit reluctantly. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 10:16 am
akaMechsmith wrote:
Re the both of your last few posts. Sounds like a pissing contest to me. I have an electric fence that makes pissing contests much more sporting. C'mon down and we'll try it Exclamation I'll referee!

Oops! That electric fence intimidates me. Shocked

Therefore, ref, I readily concede total victory in all these "pissing contests" to Frank. :wink:

yeah, i know, there i go again Laughing
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 10:43 am
akaMechsmith wrote:
It would be hard for me to imagine a system worse than the one we have now for "relieving the plight of the wretched"

It kills personal initiative. In this county a family of five will collect about $1800 a month in cash, food stamps, medical insurance, food banks, discounted produce, legal aid, and transportation vouchers.

Check my figures Ican. This works out to about $11.20 per hour for one person 40 hrs a week.

$1800 x 12 / (365.25/7) / 40 = $10.349. Smile (edited :wink: )

The percentage of adults who are physically and/or mentally incapable of supporting themselves is alleged to be less than 3%. Even if it were to be shown that the actual number is 10%, why is the government continually transferring money to more than 50% of the adult population?

There's a very old economic rule: "You get what you pay for." While it is readily admitted that what you pay for what you get can often be excessive, nonetheless, if you pay for the consequences of failure you'll get more such consequences.

From government:

We get unemployment ==> Pay more for it and we'll get more unemployment;

We get incompetent public education ==> Pay more for it and we'll get more incompetent public education;

We get incompetent college education ==> Pay more for it and we'll get more incompetent college education;

We get incompetent medical treatment ==> Pay more for it and we'll get more incompetent medical treatment;

We get incompetent management of the economy ==> Pay more for it and we'll get more incompetent management of the economy.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 10:47 am
ican711nm wrote:
Thank you. Your argument is persuasive. I stand by my criteria for interpretation, so the evidence you supplied compels me to accept the logic of your argument.

Although we've had occasion to disagree, ican, I have not found you to be unreasonable or ungracious in debate, and I appreciate that.

ican711nm wrote:
My conclusion that government transfer of money from some to others is unconstitutional still remains intact, however. But now I am reduced to the argument that the federal constitution does not delegate to the government the power to do that. In the above, Butler v. United States (1936) supports my claim, but Davis v. Steward Machine Co. (1937), and Davis v. Helvering (1937) and subsequent decisions contradict my claim.

I just want to make sure I understand this part of your argument: you're not suggesting that all forms of income taxation are unconstitutional, are you? I take it that your major contention is that the unequal taxing of incomes is unconstitutional, right? In other words, if citizen X and citizen Y both pay a flat 10% income tax, that would pass constitutional scrutiny, whereas if citizen X paid 10% and citizen Y paid 20%, that would be unconstitutional. Is that accurate?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 11:02 am
joefromchicago wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
Thank you. Your argument is persuasive. I stand by my criteria for interpretation, so the evidence you supplied compels me to accept the logic of your argument.

Although we've had occasion to disagree, ican, I have not found you to be unreasonable or ungracious in debate, and I appreciate that.

Yeah, I remember writing words expressing almost that same sentiment a while back.

Stick with him for a while, Joe. He grows on ya!

Some day, if you see this thing through, I hope words expressing that same sentiment come from someone else just starting a cyber discussion with Ican.

And I hope you get as big a chuckle out of them as I just did yours.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 11:43 am
joefromchicago wrote:
I just want to make sure I understand this part of your argument: you're not suggesting that all forms of income taxation are unconstitutional, are you? I take it that your major contention is that the unequal taxing of incomes is unconstitutional, right? In other words, if citizen X and citizen Y both pay a flat 10% income tax, that would pass constitutional scrutiny, whereas if citizen X paid 10% and citizen Y paid 20%, that would be unconstitutional. Is that accurate?

Yes, that is accurate! The 16th Amendment does not specifically grant the government the power to vary the rate of tax with the value of the income. It is well recognized that Article I, Section 8 required excise taxes to be uniform throughout the United States, but that same requirement was not placed on taxes. The reason uniformity was not required of taxes is because it was understood that the amount of tax would vary with the value of the thing taxed (e.g., property). However, it was not understood that the rate of tax would vary with the value of the thing taxed. That's a power assumed by the Congress in adopting the first income tax law and not a power granted by the amended constitution.

It is also true according to various sources that those who drafted the 16th amendment fully intended to adopt a tax rate that depended on the value of the thing taxed. But this was not generally inferred to be implicit in the 16th amendment by those who adopted the 16th amendment.

However, even if a uniform 10% income tax were to be adopted, I claim for the reasons given above that transfer of money from some to others is unconstitutional.

Consider the following seemingly bazaar theoretical case. Suppose all gross income/revenue were taxed at the flat rate of 10%. Further suppose that 50% of that tax revenue is returned in equal amounts by the government to 100% of the tax payers. That would in effect cause those who paid more total tax than others to end up paying a net higher tax rate (even though it be less than 10%) than those others.

Now limit that equally distributed return to 50% of the taxpayers. That would mean that 50% of the tax payers would net a lower tax rate than the other 50%.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 11:52 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Yeah, I remember writing words expressing almost that same sentiment a while back.

Some day, if you see this thing through, I hope words expressing that same sentiment come from someone else just starting a cyber discussion with Ican.

Well, Frank, it's true that I don't have the kind of history that you have with ican, so I can only go by my own experiences.

In general, I find myself disagreeing with ican on most points, but he has actually raised some issues in this thread that have, at least, made me stop and think -- and, as I've pointed out elsewhere, my main reason for participating in forums such as this is for my own benefit, not for anyone else's. So, to that extent, I appreciate ican's arguments, even if they only end up being "fruitful errors." Moreover, I find that I get the most out of these discussions by giving the other person at least some credit for intelligence, rather than replying to their postings with a laconic, unenlightening "bullshit!" -- a response that, I'm afraid, says more about the subject than the object of the taunt.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 11:58 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Well, Frank, it's true that I don't have the kind of history that you have with ican, so I can only go by my own experiences.

In general, I find myself disagreeing with ican on most points, but he has actually raised some issues in this thread that have, at least, made me stop and think -- and, as I've pointed out elsewhere, my main reason for participating in forums such as this is for my own benefit, not for anyone else's. So, to that extent, I appreciate ican's arguments, even if they only end up being "fruitful errors." Moreover, I find that I get the most out of these discussions by giving the other person at least some credit for intelligence, rather than replying to their postings with a laconic, unenlightening "bullshit!" -- a response that, I'm afraid, says more about the subject than the object of the taunt.

Noted -- and respectfully noted.

But time will tell whether you see things my way at some point!
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 03:59 pm
Ican, to cut off their water or at least slow it as much as you can.

Absolutely minimize your need for cash. It's easily traced and taxed and it's value is only what somebody says it is.

There are people who have forgotten that money is actually only a store of value. This value is only acquired by WORK. These people are MBA's, members of the SEC, Treasury Department, and on the board of directers of Enron etc. I do not trust them to tell me what my work is worth. I do trust Adam: but Not Absolutely Confused

Use only solar or renewable sources for domestic heat, hot water and airconditioning. Fuel oil, and natural gas are nearly 50% taxes. The other 50% represents value derived from work.

Use the oldest vehicle that can be maintained. There are thirty year old airliners still flying safely but they do have competent mechanics Very Happy .
A vehicle that has performed well for the last ten years/ hundred thousand miles is more likely to perform well for the next than a whole new batch of troubles. This does mean that sometimes a new engine, transmission, or paint job will cost more than the car is "worth". (see second sentence, first paragraph definition of value)

It pays much better to hold what you have than to use easily taxed dollars to buy something new; and depreciating in "value".

Work it out so that, when you have a choice pay state and local taxes, rather than federal. You can petition the county commissioners and the school board much more economically and effectively than you can the President.

Buy tax exempt bonds or gold. Sometimes this actually costs but consider the loss a contribution to more responsive government. The Krugerrands that I have occasionally offered to wager with you will always be worth something. Your uncut diamonds will always be worth what DeBeers mining says they are. Personally I do not like being at the mercies of a South African-British corporation. They are not noted for having altruistic motives.
This goes back to the first paragraph again. Diamonds are subject to the same vagaries that cash is, but to a somewhat lesser degree.

I am able to give you a much longer list should you wish. Trust Me Rolling EyesM.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 05:10 pm
Ican, (crossed posts)

re your post of Sep 15, 1143 am

My sentiments exactly.

To the thread, Unconstitutionality etc.

Any tax based on a percentage of income is unfair. I use the same space, air, freedoms and Armies that David Rockefeller or Geo. Bush does. Why should they have to pay more than I do?
This is why I supported the consumption and estate tax plan and scrap income taxes entirely. They cannot be made fair, no how, no way!

A consumption tax on the other hand reflects the price of the accomodations that society in general has to provide for it's citizens depending on their relative profligacy.

In order to build, heat and aircondition, and maintain the Biltmore House (Vanderbilts, North Carolina, you can look it up on the net if you are interested) requires a greater share of the planets resources than the family who lives in a four room bungalow with their own garden and solar heat. Taxing what you actually use would be fair. Not what you have invested, not because you inherited brains instead of money, not because you are Causcasoid or Protestant, Not because you are Black, and beautiful. Simply because you would be taxed on what you use. This notion assumes that society as a whole owns everything and you should pay society for what you personally wish to use, whether goods or labor (services).

IMO this is the only fair basis for taxation. Excise type taxes could also be made fair but a high estate tax would accomplish the same result, albiet a few years later, less expensively.

Naturally there should be a few exemptions. A basic "living" exemption of about $1,000 per person would then make all the other taxes "voluntary" as I explained before you discussed the robber Smile .

This could be easily treated as a credit thus minimizing the number of accountants, lawyers and judges required to administer the plan.

Moneys that are spent on life required medicines should also probably be exempt, although the effect of that exemption would probably be to delay the reciepts of estate taxes Rolling Eyes

As far as the Constitutionality of any taxes is concerned it doesn't seem to matter to us peons. A lawyer, Senator, or preacher can argue nearly any point more persuasivly than you or I. That's why we hire them.

Truman had no trouble sending troops to force our miners to work back in 1948 (or about then) and later on to Korea.

Johnson sent the Guard to Kent State University.

Regan to Grenada,

Clinton to Bosnia

The Bushes to Iraq. and Liberia. All these actions could easily be argued as unconstitutional. They are all questions upon which"gentlemen could differ".

Although I sympathize, and I BELIEVE that you are correct, I won't bet too much on the "unconstitutionality" arguement. Rationality often has little to do with the human condition. You'd probably do as well with a "God commands" type of arguement Confused

Somehow us rational folks have to do better in pointing out the costs and pitfalls of irrational actions. Best, M
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 07:40 pm
akaMechsmith wrote:
Ican, to cut off their water or at least slow it as much as you can. ...

Well I qualify alittle. Oldest vehicle is 13 years old, youngest is 7 and I find replacement parts per year cost less than vehicle debt service. Even when I owned airplanes the youngest, the Learjet, was more than 20 years old. I repair and repair to avoid buy and buy.

However, my original interest in "cut off their water" didn't really relate to looking for ways for me to save on taxes. I have encountered what I infer to be a preponderance of evidence that our republic is accelerating toward its demise. Crying or Very sad I'm looking for lawful ways I can contribute to causing that acceleration to reverse and become a deceleration (e.g., my lawsuit) and that's how I chose to interpreted your "cut off their water".

The rest of our nation is closely tracking California's acceleration toward demise. The federal courts just usurped the power of the California courts and canceled their state constitutional recall election. Their excuse was that the ballot cards used to re-elect the current governor are not legal in a recall election. They claim this so because they allege the poor are too mentally challenged to use these ballots properly.

If these trends are not deceleratable and reverseable in a federal court house, then my lawsuit valid or invalid is moot.

Tea bags anyone? Mad
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 07:55 pm
akaMechsmith wrote:
... Although I sympathize, and I BELIEVE that you are correct, I won't bet too much on the "unconstitutionality" arguement. Rationality often has little to do with the human condition. You'd probably do as well with a "God commands" type of arguement Confused

Somehow us rational folks have to do better in pointing out the costs and pitfalls of irrational actions. Best, M

I'll continue small step by small step until and unless I can think of some better way. Your proposals are rational. Therefore, the chances of getting them approved by Congress are no better than mine of getting the Supreme Court to reverse its unlawful amendments of the Constitution since 1936. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 11:19 pm
ican711nm wrote:
The 16th Amendment does not specifically grant the government the power to vary the rate of tax with the value of the income.

Well, I'm not sure that is particularly important. The constitution, after all, is not a legal code, and there was no expectation that it would go into the depth and detail that would be found in a code. After all, the 16th Amendment is one sentence long (the shortest amendment in the constitution): the federal tax code, in contrast, runs into the hundreds of pages.

ican711nm wrote:
It is well recognized that Article I, Section 8 required excise taxes to be uniform throughout the United States, but that same requirement was not placed on taxes. The reason uniformity was not required of taxes is because it was understood that the amount of tax would vary with the value of the thing taxed (e.g., property).

I am no expert on either the adoption of the constitution or the 16th Amendment, but I find it difficult to accept this claim. The insistence on uniformity for duties, imposts, and excises was due, I would imagine, to the fear that some states might end up being declared "free trade zones" -- to the detriment of other states not so designated.

ican711nm wrote:
However, it was not understood that the rate of tax would vary with the value of the thing taxed. That's a power assumed by the Congress in adopting the first income tax law and not a power granted by the amended constitution.

It has been a long time since I've had occasion to look at tables of import duties, so I'm not sure if you're right here. But again, I'm not sure it's particularly important. Various good were taxed at various rates: in general, luxury imports were taxed at higher rates than staple imports, manufactured imports taxed at a higher rate than unfinished imports. And goods from some nations were uniformly taxed at a higher rate than those from other nations (e.g. silks from France might be taxed at a higher rate than identical silks from Great Britain).

ican711nm wrote:
It is also true according to various sources that those who drafted the 16th amendment fully intended to adopt a tax rate that depended on the value of the thing taxed. But this was not generally inferred to be implicit in the 16th amendment by those who adopted the 16th amendment.

The 16th Amendment only dealt with income, so there was no question about the "value of the thing taxed," since the thing taxed was uniform for everyone: money. And the value of money was, conveniently, expressed in terms of money. So I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at here.

The fact is that the first income tax -- enacted during the Civil War -- was a progressive tax. It imposed three tax "brackets" -- Incomes between $600 and $5,000 were assessed at 5 percent; incomes between $5,000 and $10,000 were taxed at 7.5 percent; and incomes over $10,000 were taxed at the maximum rate of 10 percent. The first income tax after the enactment of the 16th Amendment was also progressive, with seven tax brackets: from 1 percent for incomes between $3,000 and $20,000 to a maximum of seven percent for incomes above $500,000 (To see a table showing minimum and maximum tax rates since 1913, click here.)

Progressive taxation, in other words, was not something unfamiliar to the drafters and adopters of the 16th amendment. Indeed, many of the same congressmen who voted on the amendment voted to approve the first internal revenue act. And if we're operating under an "original intent" standard of constitutional interpretation, we have to give a good deal of deference to the actions of those lawmakers who approved a progressive tax structure in the immediate aftermath of the 16th Amendment's ratification.

ican711nm wrote:
However, even if a uniform 10% income tax were to be adopted, I claim for the reasons given above that transfer of money from some to others is unconstitutional.

I'm going to have to give this point a bit more thought.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 08:57 am
Continuing from my previous post:

ican711nm wrote:

I am sure that you've mentioned this somewhere before, but I can't find it. So, if you would indulge me, please explain the basis for this claim. Are you suggesting that the "general welfare" clause does not authorize these kinds of transfers from one taxpayer to another? Is it a due process argument, based on the Fifth Amendment? Is it something else?

ican711nm wrote:
Consider the following seemingly bazaar theoretical case. Suppose all gross income/revenue were taxed at the flat rate of 10%. Further suppose that 50% of that tax revenue is returned in equal amounts by the government to 100% of the tax payers. That would in effect cause those who paid more total tax than others to end up paying a net higher tax rate (even though it be less than 10%) than those others.

Well, that's true, but so what? Why is that necessarily unconstitutional?

ican711nm wrote:
Now limit that equally distributed return to 50% of the taxpayers. That would mean that 50% of the tax payers would net a lower tax rate than the other 50%.

Again, the question is: so what?

And which taxes, in particular, impermissibly transfer money from one taxpayer to another? Is it just the social security tax? Or are there more?

And what exactly does it mean to transfer money from one taxpayer to another by means of a tax? Let me offer an example: the federal government uses income tax proceeds to fund the construction of a highway in California. Is this an impermissible diversion of my taxes for the benefit of the citizens of California? Or does there have to be an actual amount of cash placed in someone's pocket (as, e.g., with a social security check) for there to be an impermissible transfer?
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 11:09 am
joefromchicago wrote:
The constitution, after all, is not a legal code, and there was no expectation that it would go into the depth and detail that would be found in a code. After all, the 16th Amendment is one sentence long (the shortest amendment in the constitution): the federal tax code, in contrast, runs into the hundreds of pages.

True, but the concept of the amount of tax on a thing (e.g., money) and the concept of the rate of tax on a thing (e.g., money) are concepts that cannot simply be inferred from historical practice. The constitution itself was quite a departure from other constitutions in several ways, not the least of which was the notion that the federal government had no other powers than those explicity delegated to it by this constitution; AND this constitution was adopted by the people as a delegation of power to a government to be formed according to this constitutions specifications. That government was/is told explicitly by this constitution that it cannot ammend this constitution, but can only submit an amendment to the states for their adoption if 3/4 of the states so choose.

I can find not even the hint of the idea that the 16th Amendment implicitly amended the 5th Amendment.

The relevant parts of the 5th are:

"No person shall ... be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

That last clause compels me and perhaps Mech, if no one else, to see the injustice of taking 50% of most of Gates's dollars while taking at most only 15% of mine, when we both receive the same securing of our rights "just compensation" from our government, that differs only in a degree roughly proportional to the quantity of dollars we receive from our voluntary transactions with each other. Add to that the fact that almost 50% of Gates's 50% is paid to people fully capable of earning their own living, and the injustice swells to that of theft of property with the federal government aiding and abetting the theft.

joefromchicago wrote:
I am no expert on either the adoption of the constitution or the 16th Amendment, but I find it difficult to accept this claim. The insistence on uniformity for duties, imposts, and excises was due, I would imagine, to the fear that some states might end up being declared "free trade zones" -- to the detriment of other states not so designated.

I agree. But the question I raised and answered was why taxes were not required to be uniform by the constitution, but tax rates were not mentioned?

joefromchicago wrote:
It has been a long time since I've had occasion to look at tables of import duties, so I'm not sure if you're right here. But again, I'm not sure it's particularly important. Various good were taxed at various rates: in general, luxury imports were taxed at higher rates than staple imports, manufactured imports taxed at a higher rate than unfinished imports. And goods from some nations were uniformly taxed at a higher rate than those from other nations (e.g. silks from France might be taxed at a higher rate than identical silks from Great Britain).

I agree. But again I was talking about taxes not duties.

joefromchicago wrote:
The 16th Amendment only dealt with income, so there was no question about the "value of the thing taxed," since the thing taxed was uniform for everyone: money. And the value of money was, conveniently, expressed in terms of money. So I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at here.

To tax a thing's value uniformly would require a uniform tax rate. To tax a thing's value variably would require a variable tax rate. There was no hint in the 16th of an implication to delegate to the federal government the power to tax dollars variable tax rates depending on the circumstances of their receipt: that is for example, to discriminate among dollars for the purpose of deciding which shall be taken/taxed at 50% and which shall be taken/taxed at 10% (some not only pay 0% but receive an earned income payment).

joefromchicago wrote:
The fact is that the first income tax -- enacted during the Civil War -- was a progressive tax. It imposed three tax "brackets" -- Incomes between $600 and $5,000 were assessed at 5 percent; incomes between $5,000 and $10,000 were taxed at 7.5 percent; and incomes over $10,000 were taxed at the maximum rate of 10 percent. The first income tax after the enactment of the 16th Amendment was also progressive, with seven tax brackets: from 1 percent for incomes between $3,000 and $20,000 to a maximum of seven percent for incomes above $500,000 ... Progressive taxation, in other words, was not something unfamiliar to the drafters and adopters of the 16th amendment. Indeed, many of the same congressmen who voted on the amendment voted to approve the first internal revenue act. And if we're operating under an "original intent" standard of constitutional interpretation, we have to give a good deal of deference to the actions of those lawmakers who approved a progressive tax structure in the immediate aftermath of the 16th Amendment's ratification.

I agree with your facts. I disagree with your inference from those facts. Remember my criterion for "original intent" includes the "original intent" of the adopters of the 16th amendment: that is, the legislators in the legislatures of 3/4 of the states. Did they really mean to implicitly amend those parts of the 5th amendment I copied above? I'll be persuaded to think so only if there exists valid evidence of such.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 11:44 am
I would like to revisit our discussion of the 13th Amendment to determine how one ought to write a new amendment that does use the meaning of involuntary servitude establised in the 15th century, but not the words.

Main Entry: in·vol·un·tary
Pronunciation: (")in-'vä-l&n-"ter-E
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English involuntari, from Late Latin involuntarius, from Latin in- + voluntarius voluntary
Date: 15th century
1 : done contrary to or without choice
2 : COMPULSORY
3 : not subject to control of the will : REFLEX
- in·vol·un·tari·ly /-"vä-l&n-'ter-&-lE/ adverb
- in·vol·un·tari·ness /-'vä-l&n-"ter-E-n&s/ noun

Main Entry: ser·vi·tude
Pronunciation: 's&r-v&-"tüd, -"tyüd
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin servitudo slavery, from servus slave
Date: 15th century
1 : a condition in which one lacks liberty especially to determine one's course of action or way of life
2 : a right by which something (as a piece of land) owned by one person is subject to a specified use or enjoyment by another

Proposed 28th Amendment:
Except as a punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, a person shall not contrary to or without choice enter into a condition in which one lacks liberty especially to determine one's course of action or way of life.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 04:41 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Continuing from my previous post:

please explain the basis for this claim. Are you suggesting that the "general welfare" clause does not authorize these kinds of transfers from one taxpayer to another? Is it a due process argument, based on the Fifth Amendment? Is it something else?

Yes, the general welfare clause, "does not authorize these kinds of transfers from one taxpayer to another."

Excerpt from that Posted on Sunday, 9/14/2003--

United States v. Butler (1936)
Relevant excerpts of the opinion of the court written by Mr. Justice Roberts.

"It is inaccurate and misleading to speak of the exaction from processors prescribed by the challenged act as a tax, or to say that as a tax it is subject to no infirmity. A tax, in the general understanding of the term, and as used in the Constitution, signifies an exaction for the support of the government. The word has never been thought to connote the expropriation of money from one group for the benefit of another."

But that was changed in 1937 by judicial amendment of the constitution.

Excerpt from that next posted on Sunday, 9/14/2003--
Davis v. Steward Macine Co. (1937)
Relevant exerpts.

"The problem had become national in area and dimensions. There was need of help from the nation if the people were not to starve. It is too late today for the argument to be heard with tolerance that in a crisis so extreme the use of the moneys of the nation to relieve the unemployed [301 U.S. 548, 587] and their dependents is a use for any purpose narrower than the promotion of the general welfare. Cf. United States v. Butler ... "

Excerpt from that next posted on Sunday, 9/14/2003--
Davis v. Helvering (1937)
Relevant excerpts.

"The line must still be drawn between one welfare and another, between particular and general. Where this shall be placed cannot be known through a formula in advance of the event."
"Nor is the concept of the general welfare static. Needs that were narrow or parochial a century ago may be interwoven in our day with the well-being of the nation. What is critical or urgent changes with the times."

Shocked

And there you have it: The great Question compassionate Question leap by our Supreme Court to make an unlawful amendment of our constitution with the ultimate consequences, though perhaps unintended consequences -- but nonetheless well known in the historical causes of the decline and fall of republics -- not to be Question compassionate Question at all.

One of several examples of this well known phenomenom given on page 4 of this forum:
I. Alexander Tyler writing about the viability of democracy, in "The Cycle of Democracy", 1778:

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship."

But for Question compassionate Question Supreme Court judges we might beat this prediction of our and our posterity's fate.

joefromchicago wrote:
which taxes, in particular, impermissibly transfer money from one taxpayer to another? Is it just the social security tax? Or are there more?

Any tax share of money collected from one person or group of persons and transferred to another person or group of persons is unconstitutional according to the original intent of the writers, submitters and adopters of the federal constitution.

Social security was originally a tax share of money paid to and held in trust by the federal government and later paid back with interest to the original tax payer. It is not that anymore. All entitlements (loans, grants, payments to persons who did not originally pay the tax that provided that money -- too many to list here) which transfer tax money from person(s) to other person(s) are unconstitutional.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 05:36 pm
Yes Ican, My only thoughts amount to removing oneself from the easily subverted "cash" economy. At least as far as possible.

I would support the "unconstitutionality" lawsuit, but unhappily I know that with enough money and time I could prove to the satisfaction of a
some courts that you were fornicating with a dog in downtown Houston at high noon.

The same judges that just disenfranchised all California voters would also decide your fornications. They will also decide your constitutionality plea. There, now don't you feel better, and more secure. Rolling Eyes

Best, M.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 05:58 pm
Joe,

I've reviewed my 1968 Encyclopedia Brittanica's description of the history of the federal income tax. Here is some information especially relevant to our discussion.

The first federal income tax was imposed in 1862 to meet Civil War expenditures (no person to person transfer of cash money there). At first the rate was 3% and was later made progressive for a time and then returned to a proportional 10% in 1865. It expired in 1872. Then in 1894, a proportional 2% tax was imposed to offset revenue losses from tariff reductions (no person to person transfer of cash money there either). In a reversal of the Civil War tax decision, the 1894 tax was held to be unconstitutional by the Supreme Court. The court wrote that their decision rested on the grounds that portions of the tax were direct taxes and that violated:

"Article I, Section 9 ... No capitation, or other direct, tax shall be laid, unless in proportion to the census or enumeration herein before directed to be taken."

An immediate effort was launched to sanction the income tax by constitutional amendment, culminating in 1913 in the 16th Amendment.

I'm continuing my research. So far I cannot find anything that implies the legislators that voted to adopt the 13th amendment perceived the amendment as authorizing anything other than a proportional tax on income (i.e., a uniform tax rate), which was exactly what the overruled 1894 income tax provided.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 06:48 pm
akaMechsmith wrote:

I would support the "unconstitutionality" lawsuit, but unhappily I know that with enough money and time I could prove to the satisfaction of some courts that you were fornicating with a dog in downtown Houston at high noon.

Laughing

"Here's the rest of the story. I also would be Question proven Question to have" all the while carried two fully loaded, unlicensed six-guns, in my dropped drawers thereby trying to foment a cruelty to doggie revolution. Confused

akaMechsmith wrote:
The same judges that just disenfranchised all California voters would also decide your fornications. They will also decide your constitutionality plea. There, now don't you feel better, and more secure. Rolling Eyes

Cool

Sure, why not? While they're concentrating on fornicating and pistol wiping me, you would end run them by enlisting thousands -- maybe millions -- each individually filing their own copy of the same lawsuit in every federal district court in the land. Think of all this as another great movie like: "The Magnificient Lawsuit" or "The Good Lawsuit" or "Spendor in the Lawsuit" or "High Lawsuit" or "Lawsuit Head" or best of all, Lawsuit Shrugged". :wink:

Fox news and Rush Limbaugh will promote it whatever its name for free. You will be interviewed by Babba Wadders, Wally Crankite, Learry Kink, Bully Moonyer, and of course Mukel Kinky. Think of the fun you'll have. Think of the fun I'll have despite a busted butt and busted face watching you in those interviews. I'll heal inside of a week. Laughing

Think about it! Idea
0 Replies