DOES OUR GOVERNMENT ADEQUATELY "SUPPORT" OUR CONSTITUTION?

akaMechsmith

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 05:58 pm
Yes Ican, I will think about it when my mind is not being taken up by disgust of the 9th circuit court, The thrill of buying my President a seven million dollar knob job, and the joy of a six hundred dollar toilet seat.

Seriously though, unless you are a first class (Marvin Belli class) attorney with unlimited funds at your disposal the chances of even getting a constitutional suit into any court in the land are,to put it mildly, limited. The snowball in a Christian Hell has a better chance.

Frankly, this system has (perhaps inadvertantly) provided the citizens of the Western world with a greater amount of Adam Smith's philosophies than any other it still has to deal with humans. And at least fifty percant of humans still think that some unknowable things (note I said unknowable- not unknown) have an influence on this conglomeration of matter and energy that we call home. I despair of ever getting to the stars.

Jim Hightower seems to be trying.
www.hightowerlowdown.com
omn sig david tries on Abuzz. I Know that you have bumped into him.
Kaz Dziamka tries also.
[email protected]
The Committee for the Scientific Investigation of the Claims of the Paranormal. Are also trying,
http://www//csicop.org

I feel that we are not alone, Absolutely Smile but often I feel as I imagine a Negro in Amesbury Mass. must feel. Thinking, result oriented people, are not the only ones on the planet, but there are damn few of us and a whole lot of "them"....

"Them" are not necessarily consiously aware of the effects that their "code of conscience" may have on people that do not necessarily think as they do. If one spends eight precious years of his youth in pursuing an MBA degree from a college of some sort he may be (possibly) forgiven for thinking that he knows all that is important to know. This attitude has not been discouraged!!!!

The question, being in this context, "What can we do about it"?

That something should be done is IMO inargueable. BUT in many cases doing nothing is preferable to doing SOMETHING. Is this one of them Question

I think not, but thats only IMO natch.

Thanks for listening. Check the links. I send them a few bucks. "We Shall Overcome" (Probably Smile ) but it's not assured. Armageddon is still, and will probably always be, a decided possibility. And I don't think that it will be good for people in general, Best M.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 06:04 pm
Some of the links I sent didn't work too good.

Aren't you glad that your older car doesn't have computer controlled brakes?

M.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 03:04 pm
akaMechsmith wrote:
... unless you are a first class (Marvin Belli class) attorney with unlimited funds at your disposal the chances of even getting a constitutional suit into any court in the land are,to put it mildly, limited. The snowball in a Christian Hell has a better chance.

Any citizen can for a modest fee file a lawsuit in any federal district court in the country. Surprised Filing at least one in each federal district, (there are 88 divided into 11 judicial appeal districts, each containing one court of appeals) by 88 different people would be a great start. Winning any one of these lawsuits at the district court level does appear now to be improbable. But obtaining a court decision of some kind is assured. Perhaps winning at least one lawsuit on appeal (with a great deal of publicity) may be more likely.

Yes, it is a mystery to me why the federal appeals court in California has jurisdiction over a state election. In the Florida case, it was a federal election and not a state election that brought it under the US Supreme Court's jurisdiction. Also, not well reported, there is a federal law that says the states shall not change the rules of a federal election less than two weeks before the election is held. But that's exactly what the Florida Supremes did try to do. They tried to change the Florida election laws two weeks after the election was held. So naturally my confidence in obtaining justice from the courts continues to sag.

However, doing nothing while hoping the system will rectify itself, works sometimes with machines, but rarely works with people -- especially people who keep doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result each time.

akaMechsmith wrote:
The question, being in this context, "What can we do about it"?

That something should be done is IMO inargueable. BUT in many cases doing nothing is preferable to doing SOMETHING. Is this one of them Question

I think not, but thats only IMO natch.

Mech, I AM influenced by the fact that I have 7 grandchildren and by:

1. Alexander Tyler writing about the viability of democracy, in “The Cycle of Democracy”, 1778:

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship."

2. Thomas Paine in “The American Crisis (1776-83)”, December, 1776.

"A generous parent should have said, 'If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace'; and this single reflection, well applied, is sufficient to awaken every man to duty."
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 03:11 pm
akaMechsmith wrote:
Some of the links I sent didn't work too good.

Aren't you glad that your older car doesn't have computer controlled brakes?

M.

Thankfully, neither do any of the older airplanes I've flown/fly. Laughing
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 09:46 am
ican711nm wrote:
True, but the concept of the amount of tax on a thing (e.g., money) and the concept of the rate of tax on a thing (e.g., money) are concepts that cannot simply be inferred from historical practice.

I don't see why. If there's a tax on anything, there has to be a tax rate, even if it is a uniform rate. For instance, if the government decides to place a duty on imported tomatoes, it can do it on the basis of the item's value, its price, or on a per item basis. Any of those results constitutes a tax rate, although the rate may not fluctuate or might not be progressive in nature.

ican711nm wrote:
I can find not even the hint of the idea that the 16th Amendment implicitly amended the 5th Amendment.

Probably because nobody thought that the 16th amendment had anything to do with the 5th amendment. Even the Supreme Court, in Pollock v. Farmer's Loan & Trust Co., 158 U.S. 601, where it struck down the pre-16th amendment income tax as unconstitutional, based its decision on the "direct taxation" clause of the Constitution. It had absolutely nothing to say about the 5th amendment.

ican711nm wrote:
That last clause compels me and perhaps Mech, if no one else, to see the injustice of taking 50% of most of Gates's dollars while taking at most only 15% of mine, when we both receive the same securing of our rights "just compensation" from our government, that differs only in a degree roughly proportional to the quantity of dollars we receive from our voluntary transactions with each other.

If that is how you and Mech read the 5th Amendment, then you both read it incorrectly. If the phrase "nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation" were applied to taxes, then the government would be obliged to give each taxpayer the fair value of all the taxes received from that taxpayer as just compensation. And that, I humbly submit, is utter and complete nonsense. For if the government had to return $1 for every $1 received, there would be no point in taking in the taxes in the first place.

Moreover, the drafters of the Constitution and the 5th Amendment were all quite clear that the government could collect taxes: it's right there in Article I, Section 8. And if the drafters of the 5th Amendment intended to make taxes subject to the takings clause, they could have easily made that point clear. In sum, the 16th Amendment isn't contrary to the 5th Amendment; rather, your reading of the 5th Amendment is contrary to history and common sense.

ican711nm wrote:
Add to that the fact that almost 50% of Gates's 50% is paid to people fully capable of earning their own living, and the injustice swells to that of theft of property with the federal government aiding and abetting the theft.

Explain. In what fashion are these people receiving Bill Gates's money? You still haven't replied to my previous query, which I'll repeat here for your convenience: And what exactly does it mean to transfer money from one taxpayer to another by means of a tax? Let me offer an example: the federal government uses income tax proceeds to fund the construction of a highway in California. Is this an impermissible diversion of my taxes for the benefit of the citizens of California? Or does there have to be an actual amount of cash placed in someone's pocket (as, e.g., with a social security check) for there to be an impermissible transfer?

ican711nm wrote:
To tax a thing's value uniformly would require a uniform tax rate. To tax a thing's value variably would require a variable tax rate. There was no hint in the 16th of an implication to delegate to the federal government the power to tax dollars variable tax rates depending on the circumstances of their receipt: that is for example, to discriminate among dollars for the purpose of deciding which shall be taken/taxed at 50% and which shall be taken/taxed at 10% (some not only pay 0% but receive an earned income payment).

A distinction with no meaningful difference. If the government today announced that it was taxing McIntosh apples at 5% and Granny Smith apples at 10%, would that be applying an unconstitutionally discriminatory tax among apples?

ican711nm wrote:
I agree with your facts. I disagree with your inference from those facts. Remember my criterion for "original intent" includes the "original intent" of the adopters of the 16th amendment: that is, the legislators in the legislatures of 3/4 of the states. Did they really mean to implicitly amend those parts of the 5th amendment I copied above? I'll be persuaded to think so only if there exists valid evidence of such.

Well, you've highlighted one of the major weaknesses of an "original intent" interpretation of the constitution. How do you discern intent? Certainly, one fairly reliable method is to judge intent from subsequent actions. In this case, the congress passed the 16th Amendment in 1909 and it was ratified in 1913, so many of the same congressmen who voted on the amendment were still there four years later when they had a chance to vote on the first post-16th Amendment income tax bill. And that tax, as I pointed out, was a progressive tax (and has thereafter always been progressive).

Now, ican, what evidence do you have that the adopters of the amendment (i.e. those state legislators who voted to ratify the amendment) did not intend to approve the adoption of a progressive system of taxation? Well, so far, I see nothing, except a rather weak argument built upon a faulty reading of the 5th Amendment and some notion that, although congress may have intended to have a progressive tax the state legislators had other ideas. That's not evidence.

But I'm a reasonable guy. I'd accept as evidence for your position even one statement by a state legislator who voted to ratify the 16th Amendment saying that he had been snookered, bamboozled, hornswoggled, or otherwise deceived by congress's decision, in the immediate aftermath of the amendment's ratification, to adopt a progressive form of taxation. Just one statement supporting your position that the adopters of the amendment had a different intent than the congressmen who voted for the amendment and who subsequently voted for a progressive tax. Just one measly statement, that's all I'm asking.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:37 pm
Joe,
If the Government returns a " fair value" to the taxpayers then the question of constitutionality probably would not arise. We all know that the things that government was created to do cost money! Most of us think that they are worth it and if fairly and honestly administered I don't think that we expect perfection, in either our tax codes, or our judicial ones either.

It is primarily taxes that are used for "direct transfers" that are on an unstable footing. This brings Ican and my interest in their "legality".

Most of my interests in "constitutional arguements" are concerned with the various interpretations of the Second Amendment. We can define a problem if the first is intact, and protect the first with the second. The rest are mostly of interest to attorneys.

I think that Ican may have a point in there someplace. My competence is not sufficient to ferret it out. (or repair it Smile ) The whole question of "constitutionality" seems, IMO to have a certain quality about it that Lewis Carroll ("Alice in Wonderland") found congenial.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:52 pm
ican711nm wrote:
[quote="akaMe

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship."

The only hope for this is education of the masses. A certain knowledge of the laws of economics should be imparted. Apparently we seem to be unable to do this. We have allowed fiction, wishes, desires and just plain stupidity to infiltrate our educational system, often in the name of political correctness, religion, or an excessive curtesy and appreciation of other points of view.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 10:16 am
joefromchicago wrote:
If there's a tax on anything, there has to be a tax rate, even if it is a uniform rate.

The point I was trying to make is that a variable tax amount does not imply a variable tax rate. Article I, Section 8: "The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;"

Because Section 8 did not say, all taxes, duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States, some presume that implies that it's constitutional to have non-uniform tax rates throughout the United States. I claim that a false inference. The adopters intended only non-uniform tax amounts and NOT discriminatory non-uniform tax rates throughout the United States. They rightfully anticipated, for example, that federal property tax amounts would be non-uniform, since the value of an acre of property would be highly variable throughout the US.

The adopters of the federal constitution did not intend that federal tax rates on citizen's property be variable depending on how much property was owned where by whom; thereby discriminating among citizens such that some had more "equal protection of the laws" than others (see the 9th and 10th Amendments: citizens did not have to wait for the 14th Amendment to have the right of equal protection of the law).

Quote:
"Amendment IX
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people."

joefromchicago wrote:
Probably because nobody thought that the 16th amendment had anything to do with the 5th amendment. Even the Supreme Court ... where it struck down the pre-16th amendment income tax as unconstitutional, based its decision on the "direct taxation" clause of the Constitution. It had absolutely nothing to say about the 5th amendment.

Why would the Supreme Court have anything to say about the the 5th amendment's effect on the pre-16th amendment income tax, when the pre-16th amendment income tax was a single rate, proportional income tax, and not a variable rate income tax?

joefromchicago wrote:
If the phrase "nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation" were applied to taxes, then the government would be obliged to give each taxpayer the fair value of all the taxes received from that taxpayer as just compensation.

Exactly! The "fair value" we each and everyone receive from payment of all of our taxes is the securing of our rights. In the case of the income tax, the fair value should be directly proportional to the individual value of the property (i.e., money) right secured. That of course implies a variable tax amount and a fixed tax rate.

joefromchicago wrote:
Explain. In what fashion are these people receiving Bill Gates's money? You still haven't replied to my previous query, which I'll repeat here for your convenience: And what exactly does it mean to transfer money from one taxpayer to another by means of a tax?

Sorry about that. I thought I did explain. I presume it is well known how people are receiving a portion of tax money Gates pays to the government and redistributes to people via federal government entitlement programs. More than 50% of the federal budget goes to pay for so-called entitlement programs. These programs constitute payment of money by the federal government to people for other than providing the federal government goods, services, or commodities. I am not referring to salaries for federal employees or contracts for activities performed for the government by non-government employees. Paying people not to work, not to farm, and not to set aside some of their own funds to satisfy their wants are examples of what I am referring to. Subsidies, grants, and below market interest loans are additional examples.

joefromchicago wrote:
Or does there have to be an actual amount of cash placed in someone's pocket (as, e.g., with a social security check) for there to be an impermissible transfer?[/i]

Yes, a payment of cash is a primary example. See previous explanation for a more complete answer.

joefromchicago wrote:
If the government today announced that it was taxing McIntosh apples at 5% and Granny Smith apples at 10%, would that be applying an unconstitutionally discriminatory tax among apples?

Yes! That would be a non-uniform apple excise tax throughout the US. It could, for example, discriminate among apple growers according to which make the biggest campaign contributions. I don't think the feds are delegated that power by the constitution.

joefromchicago wrote:
Well, you've highlighted one of the major weaknesses of an "original intent" interpretation of the constitution. How do you discern intent? Certainly, one fairly reliable method is to judge intent from subsequent actions. In this case, the congress passed the 16th Amendment in 1909 and it was ratified in 1913.

Wrong! Congress did not pass the 16th Amendment. More than two-thirds of the Congress merely proposed it to the states for their ratification. Therefore, unless one can show that a disproportionate tax rate was intended by the adopters, too, despite the fact that the previous overturned income tax was proportionate, then we must be governed by the fact that the pre-16th Amendment income tax was not disproportionate; it was a proportional tax -- a uniform tax rate income tax.

Quote:
"Article V
The Congress, whenever two thirds of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which, in either case, shall be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the legislatures of three fourths of the several states, or by conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other mode of ratification may be proposed by the Congress; provided that no amendment which may be made prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any manner affect the first and fourth clauses in the ninth section of the first article; and that no state, without its consent, shall be deprived of its equal suffrage in the Senate."

joefromchicago wrote:
... so many of the same congressmen who voted on the amendment were still there four years later when they had a chance to vote on the first post-16th Amendment income tax bill. And that tax, as I pointed out, was a progressive tax (and has thereafter always been progressive).

Yes, some of those congressional rascals in advance of the adoption of the 16th Amendment, decided to ignore the rest of the Constitution and unconstitutionally amend the 16th Amendment in a manner they thought would win support of the largest constitutency: the ones not paying any taxes. It was disgraceful and ultimately a probable cause of the demise of our republic.

This is the implication of the history of the failures of republics. For example:
Quote:
Alexander Tyler writing about the viability of democracy, in “The Cycle of Democracy”, 1778:

We can beat this forecast. All we have to do is stop voting ourselves "money from the public treasure"

joefromchicago wrote:
Now, ican, what evidence do you have that the adopters of the amendment (i.e. those state legislators who voted to ratify the amendment) did not intend to approve the adoption of a progressive system of taxation? Well, so far, I see nothing, except a rather weak argument built upon a faulty reading of the 5th Amendment and some notion that, although congress may have intended to have a progressive tax the state legislators had other ideas. That's not evidence.

Yes, it is evidence, whether you think it weak or not. Is it persuasive evidence? Well obviously you are not persuaded, but I am.

Absent evidence that the adopters intended a variable tax rate, a progressive tax rate, a discriminatory tax rate, or a disproportionate tax rate, we are obliged to follow the 9th and 10th Amendment as well as the 5th. They plainly imply that if the federal government has not been delegated a power which the federal government exercises, then the federal government is violating the "supreme Law of the Land."

joefromchicago wrote:
Just one statement supporting your position that the adopters of the amendment had a different intent than the congressmen who voted for the amendment and who subsequently voted for a progressive tax. Just one measly statement, that's all I'm asking.

Wrong construction! Shocked You've got it backwards. The 9th and 10th Amendments require you, not me, to provide at least one piece of evidence supporting your position that the adopters of the amendment had the same intent as the congressmen who, while ignoring the 5th, 9th and 10th Amendments voted for the 16th amendment, and who subsequently voted for a progressive tax.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 11:20 am
akaMechsmith wrote:
Most of my interests in "constitutional arguements" are concerned with the various interpretations of the Second Amendment. We can define a problem if the first is intact, and protect the first with the second. The rest are mostly of interest to attorneys.

Tohell with the attorneys. They legislated us into this mess.

To protect the 1st Amendment, you need the 2nd as a last resort. There is zero guarantee that the application of the 2nd will be as enlightened this time as its equivalent predecessor was in 1776. I urge we try application of the 5th, 9th and 10th Amendments before we call the militia to arms. In fact, lets try to pass my proposed 28th Amendment before we try applying the 2nd:

Quote:
Proposed 28th Amendment:
Except as a punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, a person shall not contrary to or without choice enter into a condition in which one lacks liberty especially to determine one's course of action or way of life.

Main Entry: mi·li·tia
Pronunciation: m&-'li-sh&
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, military service, from milit-, miles
Date: circa 1660
1 a : a part of the organized armed forces of a country liable to call only in emergency b : a body of citizens organized for military service
2 : the whole body of able-bodied male citizens declared by law as being subject to call to military service

Based on my historical sources, I think definition 2 is closest to what was intended in the 2nd amendment by its adopters. In our Revolutionary War, the militia consisted of "the whole body of able-bodied male citizens (of the self-declared independent states) who possessed and were capable of bearing arms."
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 05:40 pm
Yes, Ican, I agree. Not because I can make any sense out of the legalese, but because it is unfair, and there seems to be no way any income taxes can be made fair and equitable for all citizens.

I have two daughters, both veterans, who would disagree with the "able bodied male" description of a militia. Further more I have some doubts as to a militia being only a States organization.

I apologize for the digression to the Second Amendment.

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Since we have Federal firearms registry, permitting systems, cooling off periods and several bureaucraticly inspired limitations may I be permitted to ask; What part of "Shall Not" don't you understand?

The Mcain-Feingold Act, now in the courts.
The Patriots Act.
I ask, What part of "NO" don't you understand?

IMO the Constitution of the United States of America is commonly and routinely violated. Thus I despair of ever correcting the abuses short of the force of arms. As long as the abuses remain tolerable we will probably tolerate them but disarming the populace and then stealing them blind (legally) is going to be a bit much someday I'm afraid.

I hope you keep it up. I admit that a small dog pissing on a big building wont hurt it much but it some cases that is all we can do. At least enough small dogs may keep the ground too swampy for our governors to build additions atop the violations.

Twenty Eighth Amendment. There are reputedly some 45,000 pages of laws on the books now. One more is probably not in our best interests Sad
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 07:01 am
akaMechsmith wrote:

I hope you keep it up. I admit that a small dog pissing on a big building wont hurt it much but it some cases that is all we can do. At least enough small dogs may keep the ground too swampy for our governors to build additions atop the violations.

I will keep it up. Please do not underestimate what a few (e.g., 88) small dogs each with a rocket strapped to its back can accomplish.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 08:22 am
akaMechsmith wrote:
...there seems to be no way any income taxes can be made fair and equitable for all citizens.(

How about a uniform 24% tax on each and every dollar of income/revenue, with zero federal taxes on anything else, with zero deductions, zero exemptions, and zero tax credits? That would be sufficient to fund the current federal budget. If we get rid of the federal entitlement money transfers, that percentage could be reduced to 12% and still provide a balanced budget.

If we taxed all gross incomes/revenue before allowance for business expenses, and we get rid of the federal entitlement money transfers, then that 12% could be reduced to 6% and still provide a balanced budget. Of course, that 6% number for business gross revenue is akin to a 6% business gross receipts tax. To survive and retain their employees businesses must pass along any expense, including tax expenses, to the consumer in the prices they charge. So that gross receipts tax amounts to a sales tax..

On the otherhand, let's stop foolin' around, and establish a 12% federal sales tax on everything with no exceptions, and get rid of all federal income and other taxes. That way everyone would be taxed on their consumption. I think consumption is more directly proportional to the benefit one receives from the government securing one's rights, than is the money one earns. Besides, the more of one's earnings that are invested by the individual, and not invested by the federal government for other than the securing our rights and reducing the probability of collisions, the more opportunity created for everyone.

Note: The 24%, 12% and 6% figures are deduced by me from data provided by The Britannica Book of the Year 2003, National economy, page 755, for the years 2000 - 2001, national incomes (business plus personal) and actual federal expenditures.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 05:58 pm
5% Federal, 4% State, and 1% local with a substancial estate tax, similarly divided would probably work.

It would also probably cause enough pain so that without an intelligent electorate it's not likely to happen.

Further thought on twenty eighth amendment.

"Congress shall make no law that is not equally binding upon any citizen of the United States" Rolling Eyes

Again, the snowball analogy Sad
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 01:43 pm
akaMechsmith wrote:
Further thought on twenty eighth amendment.

"Congress shall make no law that is not equally binding upon any citizen of the United States" Rolling Eyes

Again, the snowball analogy Sad

Mech, your proposed 28th amendment is definitely superior to the one I proposed. Very Happy

Allow me to restate it so that I can show you that the federal constitution implies exactly that -- not that that seems to matter to the federal government.

Congress shall make no law that is not equally binding upon each and every citizen of the United States of America.

Quote:
PREAMBLE
We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Quote:
Article IV
Section 2. The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states. ...

Quote:
Article VI
This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.
The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; ...

Quote:
Amendment V
No person shall ... be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Quote:
Amendment IX
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

The 9th and 10th Amendments make it plain, respectively, that the federal government shall place no other limits on our individual rights than those specified by the federal constitution, and has no other powers than those delegated to it by the federal constitution. The burden of proof that an individual does not possess a right or that the federal government does possess a power belongs to the federal government. In particular, each and every citizen of the United States of America shall possess the right to equal protection of the law, shall not be denied this right by the federal government, and shall have this right secured by the federal government.

Quote:
Amendment XIII (1865)
Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Quote:
Amendment XIV (1868)
Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 06:31 pm
Quote:
Article IV
Section 4. The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union a republican form of government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on application of the legislature, or of the executive (when the legislature cannot be convened) against domestic violence.

What's a republican form of government?

Quote:
Main Entry: 2republican
Function: adjective
Date: 1712
1 a : of, relating to, or having the characteristics of a republic b : favoring, supporting, or advocating a republic c : belonging or appropriate to one living in or supporting a republic <republican simplicity>

Quote:
Main Entry: re·pub·lic
Pronunciation: ri-'p&-blik
Function: noun
Etymology: French république, from Middle French republique, from Latin respublica, from res thing, wealth + publica, feminine of publicus public -- more at REAL, PUBLIC
Date: 1604
1 a (1) : a government having a chief of state who is not a monarch and who in modern times is usually a president (2) : a political unit (as a nation) having such a form of government b (1) : a government in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives responsible to them and governing according to law (2) : a political unit (as a nation) having such a form of government c : a usually specified republican government of a political unit <the French Fourth Republic>
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 07:16 pm
Ican, re your comment; "Not that it seems to matter to our Federal Gavernment".

I suspect that Frank himself would agree with that observation, even though an absolute proof is lacking.

Therefore I think that I am safe in assuming that it is a "statement of fact".

Now the problem---- What are We (royal we) going to do about it Question

I think that first a brief letter to the editor of our local paper. (He's also a Nam Vet incidentally) outlining the substance of this thread. I will have to think about it a while but I will send you a copy if, in the light of day that letter sees the light of day. Smile

Also perhaps a letter to the mail call section of America's First Freedom magazine, and one to The Skeptical Inquirer. Both worthy mags that sometimes have some non mainstream sympathies.

Wish us luck,---- M. 2 Cents
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 01:41 pm
ican711nm wrote:
Because Section 8 did not say, all taxes, duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States, some presume that implies that it's constitutional to have non-uniform tax rates throughout the United States. I claim that a false inference. The adopters intended only non-uniform tax amounts and NOT discriminatory non-uniform tax rates throughout the United States.

Where is your evidence to support this claim? Which of the drafters or adopters of the Constitution held these views?

ican711nm wrote:
Why would the Supreme Court have anything to say about the the 5th amendment's effect on the pre-16th amendment income tax, when the pre-16th amendment income tax was a single rate, proportional income tax, and not a variable rate income tax?

You're wrong. The 1894 income tax had a rate of 2% for incomes over $4000. In other words, there were two tax rates in the 1894 act: a 0% rate for the first $4000, and a 2% rate for every dollar above that level. It was not a highly graduated tax, but it was definitely not flat.

ican711nm wrote:
Sorry about that. I thought I did explain. I presume it is well known how people are receiving a portion of tax money Gates pays to the government and redistributes to people via federal government entitlement programs.

What, in your view, constitutes an "entitlement program"?

ican711nm wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
If the government today announced that it was taxing McIntosh apples at 5% and Granny Smith apples at 10%, would that be applying an unconstitutionally discriminatory tax among apples?

Yes! That would be a non-uniform apple excise tax throughout the US.

Why? Why is being an "apple" relevant from the standpoint of a tax code? What if all apples were taxed at 10% and all oranges were taxed at 12%. Would that be applying an unconstitutionally discriminatory tax among fruit?

ican711nm wrote:
Therefore, unless one can show that a disproportionate tax rate was intended by the adopters, too, despite the fact that the previous overturned income tax was proportionate, then we must be governed by the fact that the pre-16th Amendment income tax was not disproportionate; it was a proportional tax -- a uniform tax rate income tax.

See my comments above. The 1894 tax was a graduated tax, not a flat tax. The drafters and adopters of the 16th Amendment, if they were looking at the 1894 law for guidance, would have known that they were going to get a graduated tax.

ican711nm wrote:
Yes, some of those congressional rascals in advance of the adoption of the 16th Amendment, decided to ignore the rest of the Constitution and unconstitutionally amend the 16th Amendment in a manner they thought would win support of the largest constitutency: the ones not paying any taxes.

I'm still waiting for you to identify even one state legislator who voted to ratify the 16th Amendment but who later said that he did not intend to approve a graduated or progressive income tax.

ican711nm wrote:
Absent evidence that the adopters intended a variable tax rate, a progressive tax rate, a discriminatory tax rate, or a disproportionate tax rate, we are obliged to follow the 9th and 10th Amendment as well as the 5th.

The evidence is there. The US has never had an income tax that wasn't graduated.

ican711nm wrote:
Wrong construction! Shocked You've got it backwards. The 9th and 10th Amendments require you, not me, to provide at least one piece of evidence supporting your position that the adopters of the amendment had the same intent as the congressmen who, while ignoring the 5th, 9th and 10th Amendments voted for the 16th amendment, and who subsequently voted for a progressive tax.

Well, it's your position, so you need to come up with the proof. Furthermore, it's your contention that the proper way to interpret the Constitution is by means of ascertaining the original intent of the drafters and adopters. So you need to come up with the evidence that supports your position and is consistent with the original intent of the drafters and adopters. You haven't yet, and frankly I doubt that you can.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 05:14 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
You're wrong. The 1894 income tax had a rate of 2% for incomes over $4000. In other words, there were two tax rates in the 1894 act: a 0% rate for the first $4000, and a 2% rate for every dollar above that level. It was not a highly graduated tax, but it was definitely not flat.

Ok, for now, I accept your reference is probably more correct than mine: The 1968 Encyclopedia Britannica, volume 12, page 19, Income Tax. I cannot prove your reference is or it is not more correct than mine. Nonetheless, I will assume your reference more correct than mine.

Perhaps the following is wrong too (ibid). The first federal income tax was adopted in 1862 with a uniform rate of 3%. Later it was made progressive for a time then returned to a uniform rate of 10%. It expired in 1872. In 1894 a uniform 2% income tax was adopted by Congress. In a reversal of the civil war decision, the Supreme Court held the tax was unconstitutional because it violated:

Quote:
Article I, Section 9. ... No capitation, or other direct, tax shall be laid, unless in proportion to the census or enumeration herein before directed to be taken.

In 1913, the 16th Amendment was adopted to make the quoted clause not applicable to an income tax. I have encountered zero evidence that anything other than a uniform tax rate plus a uniform income exemption, which is alleged to have existed in the unconstitutional 1894 income tax law, was enabled by the 16th.

Quote:
Amendment XVI
The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several states, and without regard to any census of enumeration.

joefromchicago wrote:
What, in your view, constitutes an "entitlement program"?

A so-called "entitlement program" is any program that transfers money from some persons to other persons not in the employ of the federal government, not supplying stuff (e.g., goods, products, facilities, commodities, etc.) to the federal government, and not supplying services (e.g., constructions, refurbishments, transportation, consulting, etc.) to the federal government.

joefromchicago wrote:
... Why is being an "apple" relevant from the standpoint of a tax code? What if all apples were taxed at 10% and all oranges were taxed at 12%. Would that be applying an unconstitutionally discriminatory tax among fruit?

Yes! If a federal sales tax were to be adopted, in order to be constitutional it must apply a uniform tax on all products, services, and commodities. Per the 9th Amendment and also the 14th Amendment we cirtizens have the right to the equal protection of the laws.

joefromchicago wrote:
The drafters and adopters of the 16th Amendment, if they were looking at the 1894 law for guidance, would have known that they were going to get a graduated tax.

That's a big if. Did they look to that overturned law for guidance in a graduated tax? Provide some evidence! I think it more probable they thought they were merely adopting the 16th Amendment to escape from the above quoted clause in Article I, Section 9 for a federal income tax. You allege that the 1894 law had a $4,000 exemption and a uniform tax rate of 2%. What evidence is there that the ratifying state legislators had any inkling whatsoever that anything other than the size of the exemption and the size of the uniform tax rate would ever change?

joefromchicago wrote:
I'm still waiting for you to identify even one state legislator who voted to ratify the 16th Amendment but who later said that he did not intend to approve a graduated or progressive income tax.

You are waiting for the wrong thing. The burden of proof rests on the federal government. Since you appear to be arguing that what the federal government is doing with regard to income taxes and money transfers is constitutional, the burden of proof is yours and not mine. Check the 9th and 10th Amendments.

Quote:

Amendment IX

Amendment X
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

The 9th and 10th Amendments make it plain, respectively, that the federal government shall place no other limits on our individual rights than those specified by the federal constitution, and has no other powers than those delegated to it by the federal constitution. The burden of proof that an individual does not possess a right or that the federal government does possess a power belongs to the federal government. In particular, each and every citizen of the United States of America shall possess the right to equal protection of the law, and the federal government has not been granted the power to deny this right.

In fact, the federal government is directed by the constitution to secure our rights.

Quote:

Preamble
We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Article IV
Section 2. The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states.

joefromchicago wrote:
The evidence is there. The US has never had an income tax that wasn't graduated.

We disagree. The federal government has had an income tax that granted a uniform exemption of $4,000 and taxed at a uniform rate of 2%. Also, the fact that the federal government has from time to time unlawfully amended the constitution by its usurpation of powers not granted it by the constitution, or it has denied rights it is not empowered by the constitution to deny, does not make such behavior lawful.

joefromchicago wrote:
Well, it's your position, so you need to come up with the proof. Furthermore, it's your contention that the proper way to interpret the Constitution is by means of ascertaining the original intent of the drafters and adopters. So you need to come up with the evidence that supports your position and is consistent with the original intent of the drafters and adopters. You haven't yet, and frankly I doubt that you can.

Check the 9th and 10th Amendments, Preamble and Article IV, Section 2, 1st paragraph. What do you think they mean? Why? They are all the evidence I need.

Now, it's upon you that the burden of proof rests, and not me. If the federal constitution does not say in words that were reasonably construed by the ratifiers to say that the government has a power, then the federal government doesn't have that power. If the federal constitution does not say in words that were reasonably construed by the ratifiers to say that that the people do not have a particular right, then the people have that particular right and the government is required by the federal constitution to secure that right.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 05:49 pm
akaMechsmith wrote:

Wish us luck, ...

Your wish is my command! I wish you luck! More importantly, I wish you SUCCESS!
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 09:12 pm
In the absence of evidence to the contrary, the definitions in the reference Merriam-Webster Dictionary (or an agreed alternate dictionary),
www.m-w.com
shall apply to the interpretation of any given clause in the federal constitution, if the origin of the words in that clause, according to the reference, precedes the date of ratification of that clause.

Evidence to the contrary shall show for a disputed clause that the meaning of words to the ratifiers of a clause was different than that given in the reference dictionary.
0 Replies