Cuban Elections

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 04:13 pm
This is insanity. 614 parliamentary seats with one candidate running for each. Voter turn out is expected to be 90%. Isn't this almost the definition of insanity?

BBC
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,244 • Replies: 42
No top replies

old europe

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 04:21 pm
Here is more on how this works:

Quote:
Half of the candidates are chosen by municipal authorities, the other half by organisations linked to the state, such as trade unions and the women's movement.

Critics call it a travesty of democracy that should be replaced by multi-party elections.

Cuba says its system, set up in 1976, is the most democratic in the world because money cannot buy votes and delegates are chosen at a neighbourhood level.

Cuba's 8.4 million voters are given a list of candidates for their region and are strongly encouraged to check a single box supporting all of them.

If they do not like one candidate or another, they can tick individual boxes next to names and leave others blank. In theory a candidate must get 50% of the vote to win. So far, though, it is not believed anyone has ever been rejected.
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 04:29 pm
Re: Cuban Elections
littlek wrote:
This is insanity. 614 parliamentary seats with one candidate running for each. Voter turn out is expected to be 90%. Isn't this almost the definition of insanity?

BBC

No. It's the definition of Communism.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 04:37 pm
Pretty much how Iraq's election were run during the Saddam years.

It is the definition of a dictatorship (which for the most part in world history has been synonomous with communism).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 04:38 pm
I'd name it a dictatorship, from what I know now. Not communism. At least not communism in theory.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 04:40 pm
Ahaha?
I am a die hard communist who expose the barbaric banalism.
Cuba need not take any instruction from USA.
Cuban criminal lobby is there to uphold Big Mc demonocracy.
Castro's Cuba is million times better than the corporate USA.
My name is Rama
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 04:41 pm
finn wrote:
which for the most part in world history has been synonomous with communism
Interesting analysis of world history also, pretty stupid. How many centuries does it take to become "the most part in world history?"
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 04:43 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
It is the definition of a dictatorship (which for the most part in world history has been synonomous with communism).

Hm? Most dictatorships have been communist systems? Dunno. The other way 'round, sure...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 04:44 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
Ahaha?
My name is Rama
Rama, i have no idea if you use some strange drugs or if you just have some major brain damage but, from what I read, you're not connected to the world in any coherent manner.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 04:45 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
Ahaha?
My name is Rama

You mean, given the choice, you would rather move to Cuba than to the United States?
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 04:54 pm
BBC reporter
should learn some English
Insanity is a wrong word.
How will the same steno-typist( reporter) interpret the election in USA( 2000).
How will the same guy explain the arranged election in Iraq.
I mean the number of people who stood in Q to make use of their liberty?
Cuba is a congenial country which is world famous for universal health care( forget the criminals who sit somewhere in USA)

How many Residents of White house( I mean presidents of USA) are still popular around the globe as Cuba and the maker of Cuba- Castro.

I have a list of decent people.
Mahathma Gandhi.
Karl Marx
Nelson mandela
MLK
Castro
Mother theresa
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 05:22 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
Cuba is a congenial country which is world famous for universal health care( forget the criminals who sit somewhere in USA)

How many Residents of White house( I mean presidents of USA) are still popular around the globe as Cuba and the maker of Cuba- Castro.

Ah. I'll try again: would you want to move to Cuba?
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 05:27 pm
Keep cool and not be cold Old Europe.
Face me with critical words and not with jokes.
I am too immatured to understand this world
Sorry but accept my thanks
Rama
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 05:30 pm
I was not joking. I was reacting to your praise of Cuba. And of Castro. You seem to admire Cuba and the current system there a lot, and you seem to think the Cuban system and its leader are very popular around the world.

So, again: would you want to move to Cuba?

And, if you had to pick one: would you rather move to Cuba or to the United States?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 05:33 pm
If I was a rich man i could probably live very comfortably in Cuba.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 05:35 pm
dyslexia wrote:
If I was a rich man i could probably live very comfortably in Cuba.

Cuba could probably live quite comfortably on your sprawling estate. Let's not kid the members.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 05:44 pm
littlek wrote:
I'd name it a dictatorship, from what I know now. Not communism. At least not communism in theory.

Of course you're right --- it's demonstrative of a dictatorship and not theoretical communism, but since just about all communist regimes have been dictatorships...
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 06:03 pm
Very Old Europe
And, if you had to pick one: would you rather move to Cuba or to the United States?
I had been to cuba as a tourist and I had never been to USA nor i wish to pollute the lovely country with my karl marx feet.

If I have to take a choice between the two countries, naturally with beaming smile I will pick up Cuba and not USA.
understand?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 06:21 pm
Just out of curiosity, why did you leave India to go to Germany?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 06:30 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:

Probably the United States. Very likely, actually.

Ramafuchs wrote:
I had been to cuba as a tourist and I had never been to USA nor i wish to pollute the lovely country with my karl marx feet.

I see.

Ramafuchs wrote:
If I have to take a choice between the two countries, naturally with beaming smile I will pick up Cuba and not USA.
understand?

Well, given what you've posted about the United States so far - like that you believe that America is "rotten to the core" etc. - I can see that.

Here's another question, if you don't mind: You're living in Germany. Germany is not a communist country. I mean, many of the things you criticize about the United States are equally true for Germany.

So, if you're saying that you're a communist and a Marxist, and you love Cuba that much - why do you live in Germany rather than in Cuba?
0 Replies