IDIOTS' GUIDE TO THE US ELECTIONS.

Irishk

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:38 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
to be honest amigo, I seriously question the validity of your "facts" of donations.

I did, too, but after a little investigating, it seems to be ok. Opensecrets.org is just the website for the Center for Responsive Politics -- a nonpartisan research group that tracks political donations. It's referenced by other reputable sites, as well, so I'm thinking they're pretty reliable in their reporting.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:52 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Thanks for both your responses, George & spendy.
I don't know if transparency of political donations is an important issue or not in the US ... it certainly is in my own country.

Transparecy is an issue - both a fact and a problem - here as in most modern countries. There are laws regulating the maximum contribution from individual donors and by both unions and corporations. Many of them were struck down by the recent Supreme Court decision with respect to the McCain Feingold Law, which had established the most restrictive provisions. There were and are few limits on the rights of individuals, corporations, or labor unions to participate in or contribute to activities relating to specific political issues (as opposed to individual candidates), or to encourage registration and participation by selected groups of voters. There are also a plethora of advocacy organizations (generally registered as non profit corporations) focused around key issues, and their activities and contributions involve very few legal restrictions. All of these activities run very closely together during political campaigns. In the real world, the chislers are usually cleverer and more motivated than are the writers of rules. I suspect that is true in Australia as well (I recall the furor over the colorful Alan Bond during the Perth America's Cup races a couple of decades ago).
msolga

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 07:11 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
In the real world, the chislers are usually cleverer and more motivated than are the writers of rules.

I'll go along with that!

Quote:
I suspect that is true in Australia as well (I recall the furor over the colorful Alan Bond during the Perth America's Cup races a couple of decades ago).

Oh yes, chislers & operators are pretty much the same, the world over, I'd suspect.
As for the colourful Mr Bond, a very blotted copybook! He's also been known to conveniently lose his memory over critical details during legal proceedings about his activities. Wink
georgeob1

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 08:00 pm
@msolga,
Still, he was an amiable rogue.
msolga

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 08:14 pm
@georgeob1,
That depends on whether he ripped you off or not! Razz
georgeob1

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 08:36 pm
@msolga,
I'll give you that ! Very Happy
msolga

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 08:39 pm
@georgeob1,
Smile Yes, it would be rather hard to see him as lovable if you happened to be one of his out-of-pocket investors!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 10:51 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Quote:
The organizations themselves did not donate , rather the money came from the organization's PAC, its individual members or employees or owners, and those individuals' immediate families.

It's important to remember this disclaimer. Although employees of the Unis gave much more to Obama McCain raised money too. This election had the largest disparity from academia.

Since we don't have McCains totals from various corporations it's hard to tell how much more Obama raised.

John McCain top contributers

Merrill Lynch $373,595
Citigroup Inc $322,051
Morgan Stanley $273,452
Goldman Sachs $230,095
JPMorgan Chase & Co $228,107
US Government $208,379
AT&T Inc $201,438
Wachovia Corp $195,063
UBS AG $192,493
Credit Suisse Group $183,353
PricewaterhouseCoopers $167,900
US Army $167,820
Bank of America $166,026
Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher $159,596
Blank Rome LLP $154,226
Greenberg Traurig LLP $146,437
US Dept of Defense $144,105
FedEx Corp $131,974
Bear Stearns $117,498
Lehman Brothers $114,357

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/contrib.php?cycle=2008&cid=N00006424

I did all this research BEFORE the election. Thats how I knew who Obama owed and worked for.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 01:50 am
More a question about US politics.

I came across this today:

Quote:
He was a better POTUS than Bush the lesser. Equal to Nixon and bettered by Eisenhower. However in today's Tea Party dominated GOP, he'd be considered a RINO.

Could someone explain, please? : what is a RINO?
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 10:57 am
@msolga,
Republican In Name Only.

Not to be confused with a DINO.
msolga

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 07:59 pm
@joefromchicago,
Thank you, Joe.

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 09:38 pm
@msolga,
Ah.
Here it is.
Found it at last!
This was the thread I was actually looking for, to ask my question yesterday.
Couldn't find it anywhere!

As I recall it was a pretty good thread with lots of good & useful information .. & which became a little volatile at times. Smile

My first question, way back in August, 2009:

Quote:
Q 1: Who is Glenn Beck? (Try can keep opinion out of this, please. Wink )

Ha.

Quick answers to US politics queries for those of us not in the know.:
http://able2know.org/topic/135884-1
0 Replies