Electoral Compass USA - Which candidate fits best with you?

nimh

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 10:20 am
In Holland, every time there's an election, we have this online gadget called the Kieswijzer (which translates as "Choiceguider" but also "Vote more wisely"): you fill out a survey and they tell you which party fits your views best. It's been there every election since back in, I dunno.. 1998 or something, and it's HUGELY popular: something like 3 million people used it last time, on a voting population of something like 8 million (I'm not bothering looking up the numbers now).

Other, less popular, sites like it have of course popped up since, and other countries have followed suit. Germany had a good one that was very popular as well, same in Belgium, etc.

In the US, I've seen a couple of general political tests that give you such a survey and tell you whether you are more conservative / liberal / libertarian whatever. I also remember two tests I've seen that will recommend a specific candidate to you after you complete the survey. One pretty consistently sent you to the candidates at the more extreme ends of the spectrum (Kucinich was a big hit). Someone here, I think it was Craven, pulled that test apart pretty thoroughly.

The other, on a major network news station (CNN or NBC or something) is pretty much a dud. The multiple choice answers on each question are mostly just talking points from the different campaigns, so you can easily tell which one represents which candidate, but more importantly, many of the answers overlap or are not directly comparable.

But heeeeere isss:

The Electoral Compass USA

Produced, incredibly, by those crazy Dutchmen. Partners in the project include the Free University of Amsterdam, the country's third largest newspaper, De Volkskrant, and public television's current affairs program Netwerk.

Do the test, let us know what your results were, and what you thought of the test!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,562 • Replies: 53
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 12:45 pm
Ah, I was looking for one of those quizzes.... I landed right on Obama's right shoulder.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 12:52 pm
Yep, me too.

Closest to Obama, furthest from Thompson.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 12:53 pm
Oh great! My views are the closest with Ron Paul's....................and he does not have a snowball's chance in hell to win. I am farthest from Obama. Well, here goes the "least worst" again! Sad
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 12:55 pm
Slightly left of Obama. Furthest from Thompson.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 12:57 pm
Re: Electoral Compass USA - Which candidate fits best with y
nimh wrote:
The other, on a major network news station (CNN or NBC or something) is pretty much a dud. The multiple choice answers on each question are mostly just talking points from the different campaigns, so you can easily tell which one represents which candidate, but more importantly, many of the answers overlap or are not directly comparable.

And yes, that other test? I tried to pretend I hadn't heard those talking points before, but they used sooo specific quotes. Could just as well have posted the name of each candidate with it... Tsssk.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 01:08 pm
Lined up with Edwards/Clinton on economic left (left of Obama)
Between Edwards and Obama on social liberalism.

Depending on one question, I'm either closest to Edwards or Obama.

(I love quizzes!)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 01:12 pm
I like this one as you can click up and down the different categories to watch everyone (including yourself) move around the chart.

I'm between Clinton and Paul on law and order Shocked
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 01:18 pm
Farthest from Obama; closest to Guiliani, with McCain & Romney as 'within the circle' alternatives.

In fact I would prefer either McCain or Romney to Guiliani.

Interesting test. However I believe its central defect is the reliance it necessarily puts on the campaign rhetoric of the various candidates. I believe this is not the most reliable indicator of what they will do once in office. Historical examples of this abound - from Woodrow Wilson's and FDR's expressed assurances that they would keep us out of the European wars that were then brewing, to GW Bush's assurances that the United States should adopt a lower profile and more humility in its international relations -- and many, many more.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 01:20 pm
That sounds interesting, I'll take it (one of these minutes or hours).
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 01:40 pm
littlek wrote:
I landed right on Obama's right shoulder.

I ended up on top of his head. Quelle surprise!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 04:27 pm
I looked at the analysis item by item. I landed on Clinton and Richardson a lot. Given that, I don't know how they pegged me with Obama. But, I'll take it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 04:40 pm
Thank you all verra much! Highly interesting. No great surprises, but still very interesting - and I bet one or two of you were surprised.

I myself came closest to - grumble - Barack Obama.

Economically speaking I am clearly to his left (no surprise there), and slightly to the left of Edwards as well, but I am more socially liberal than Edwards, and on a line with Obama.

Furthest away from me: Fred Thompson.

If the chart shows something is that when it comes to the economic left-right scale, there isnt really much difference between the Democratic candidates, with Obama just slightly off to the right, and also little difference between the Republicans, with Romney as the most rightwing one and McCain as the least rightwing one still almost plastered side-to-side.

But there's big differences between the Republicans on the social/moral scale.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 04:52 pm
Barack Obama
You are 13% economic right
You are 8% more traditional
You have a substantive agreement of 75%

John Edwards
You are 17% economic right
You are 4% more progressive
You have a substantive agreement of 74%

Bill Richardson (withdrawn)
You are 19% economic right
You are 11% more progressive
You have a substantive agreement of 71%

Hillary Clinton
You are 22% economic right
You are 9% more progressive
You have a substantive agreement of 72%

Ron Paul is the closest republican to me.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 05:09 pm
I found the phrasing really odd.

Torture is ok if it stops a terrorist attack.

Er... You can determine that ahead of time?

Quote:

John Edwards
You are 16% economic right
You are equally social-liberal as social-conservative
You have a substantive agreement of 75%

Bill Richardson (withdrawn)
You are 17% economic right
You are 4% more progressive
You have a substantive agreement of 69%

Barack Obama
You are 11% economic right
You are 11% more traditional
You have a substantive agreement of 71%

Hillary Clinton
You are 20% economic right
You are 5% more progressive
You have a substantive agreement of 63%

Put my pin even with Edwards, but halfway to the Y axis.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 05:28 pm
I'm closest to Obama, and most further away from Thompson.
On several topics I agree 100 % with Obama, others 70 - 90 %.
Remarkable!

Good test.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 06:42 pm
I see I have quite a few kindred spirits here.

Closest to Obama, farthest from Thompson.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 10:57 pm
During the concert tonight, I figured out what bothered me about the poll/results, and that was lack of weighting.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 12:16 am
I fell to the right of the crowd, but closest to Mitt Romney and Rudy.

Not a bad test.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 12:22 am
Hey, I'm one of two Ron Paul votes.
0 Replies