Thingamajigs

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 10:12 pm
I wonder, is FLK where Flake came from?

I love lemon decline, too. Osso told me that a year ago and I've used it (sadly, with too much frequency) when observing my plants.

"Hmmm, looks like lemon decline..." It just sounds like you know what you're about.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 10:13 pm
Actually, the word 'decline' is rather nice in itself.

and then there are those apostrophes I throw about. I am almost but not quite the only one that does that. I do it when I don't want to go into a full-fledged quote, but want to give the clue that I didn't coin the phrase by myself.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 10:20 pm
a half-quote?

I agree that decline is good, but 'lemon decline' makes it sound like a professional judgement. Very effective.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 11:14 pm
It is hard to pass off on a camellia, but, hey!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 11:18 pm
oops, I see you misunderstood me, Pif. Lemon decline is a concept I newly cling to. I will check with bus//ptnr manana in case anyone else needs to be referenced, as in "who started it"

The half quote was inserted from outer space....it was about my putting one apostrophe around a phrase instead of a quote. Kind of a by the way.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 07:19 am
ossobuco wrote:
oops, I see you misunderstood me, Pif. Lemon decline is a concept I newly cling to. I will check with bus//ptnr manana in case anyone else needs to be referenced, as in "who started it"

Huh?

I'm sure you mentioned Lemon Decline last year when we were looking at plants on my porch and I was whining about my datura (since deceased). You said it was a generalized comment along the lines of 'that plant looks like it's not thriving'.

I suppose it could work for more than plants. errrr, this is not it?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 11:19 am
I don't remember what I meant. It was clear to me at the time. Please forget it! Hmmm, lemon decline in a human?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 01:14 pm
I usually refer to a person whose name I can't remember as "whatshisface".
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 08:32 pm
good one, Heeven..
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 11:47 pm
Heeven, I'm more a what'shisname person, myself.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 01:07 am
or flobalob
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 10:32 am
Vivien, Flobalob? This is a new one. It refers to a person?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 03:18 pm
Yes! as in 'is flobalob coming out with us tonight?' - it may be a regional word, I don't know
0 Replies