Thingamajigs

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 03:28 pm
1. Thing, my version of thingie
2. Doohicky.

Whatchamacallit is a word I use when I know I know the word for the, ahem, object, but I just can't think of it this minute.

I hate to say this, but sometimes we in the landscape construction field use the word 'chinga' for the unnamed object. Short, I believe, for chingadera.

As to a plant disease that neither my business partner
nor I can identify - we call it 'lemon decline', our general term for a plant troubles. Not that you asked.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 03:34 pm
You do?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 03:48 pm
Yes, fraid so. It existed as a word used in construction in L.A. before I got there...
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:42 pm
"Chinga" is the beginning of a Very Bad Phrase in Spanish... In English I believe it would be spelled "F"...

and I have no doubt that Mexican construction workers use it all the time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:58 pm
I learned it from my Spanish speaking Japanese American boss. He wasn't a guy who used swear words/expletives generally. The word was used as a replacement in Hand me that Column Base, or What is that ...... on top of the vent? Come to think of it, much in construction can be thought of as having a phallic connotation, but within our office 'chinga' was used as word replacement rather like dealie, whatsit, or thingie. No, we didn't use it all that often, since we tended to know the names of the objects we work with, but sometimes we did it out of laziness, instead of saying, for example, Simpson Strong Tie Connector.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 05:07 pm
Um, sorry, I didn't mean to skew the discussion away from Whatchamacallits....
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 07:05 pm
Piffka, According to Webster's whatsit is spelled with an s. Yes, I actually looked up the terms I used. I'm incorrigible. Dealiwhopper? New to me.

Roger, Gizzerblinker. I will make a mental note. Gizzerblinker--an electronic doohickey. Of course, to me all electronic stuff falls in the gizzerblinker/doohickey category.

Walter, Thanks. Now I can be inarticulate in two languages. Dingsbums and Dingens.

Vivien, Doflip? A person. Live and loin. Whatnot. I usually use whatnot as a kind of etc. This and that and whatnot.

PeterDuce, Thanks for the aglet info. This word meanders in and out of my head.

Jes, Doodad? I think of doodad as a specific kind of thingie. Like a dingle-dangle on a necklace. That doodad. When I'm in the midst of a senior moment, familiar objects become whatchamacallits. Pointing to the spatula I say, "Gimme the whatchamacallit, please."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 08:29 pm
mrs. hamburger has replaced all of these fine words with 'you know'.

Can you go get the you know?
Errrr, where is it?
Downstairs. In the you know.
I don't.
Your father does.

and he does. I guess that's one of the upsides of 47 years of marriage. You really know what 'you know' means.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 08:35 pm
In my house, who-ha or doo-dad pretty much covers it all.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 11:50 pm
I was once told in all seriousness by a birder that we just saw an LBB.

"Really?" sez I. "What is that?"

It means Little Brown Bird... Smile

--- Hey, if Osso can talk about Lemon Decline and Chinga-stuff.... Wink

Beth -- Your mom at least finishes her sentences. My kids swear I say this sort of thing at home:

"Can you get the uh...?"
"It's in the uh...."
"Your dad, uh...."
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 02:01 am
Osso, Now we have specialized nonspecificity. Lemon decline. I like it.

ehbeth, Although I'm usually inclined to dislike "you knows," the situation you describe sounds amazingly like communication. As long as one really knows what "you know" means, then in fact "you know" applies. You know?

eoe, Who-ha? Good one.

Piffka, "Uh" is pithy. If it works, why not use it?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 03:13 am
Well, if you can have FLK's, you can have LBB's!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 08:31 am
Deb, Dare I ask? What's an FLK?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 08:38 am
Funny Looking Kid - TRUE! 'Tis actually used - when something genetic is clearly amiss, but nobody knows what the heck it is.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 08:40 am
I just found that the placeholder in Creole of Mauritius is SOZ (, which is also short for our dear sozobe :wink: ).

(And Brasilian can -similar to us Germans- conjugate their [main] placeholder 'coisar' [might be, Craven already pointed that out - to lazy to scroll back].)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 08:47 am
FLK is a funny-looking kid? How very disappointing. I thought it was something dirty.

Is FLG a funny-looking grown-up?

Walter, I'm confused. In the context of this thread, what's a placeholder?

I'm a fountain of questions. Don't know nuttin'. How did I manage to have gotten this old and have learned so little?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 09:15 am
'Thingamajigs' etc. are called placeholder by the people of linguistlist.org
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 09:20 am
osso i love lemon decline. Sort of describes the way you feel when you are off colour with a bad cold too!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 11:12 am
Yes, Vivien, me too, and I love LBB's too, quite sweet. I wonder if it could be adapted for other placeholder use, and pronounced 'lub'.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 09:38 pm
Thanks for the info, Walter. A placeholder. I'll try to remember.

Osso, the lemon decline thing could catch on. It really is a wonderful phrase that captures the essense of what you want to say.
0 Replies