Will Hillary Clinton become "likeable."

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 01:23 am
InfraBlue wrote:
okie wrote:
McTag wrote:
Why don't the Americans like Hillary?

She seems to attract a lot of hatred, polarising the vote. Dems (some of them) might think she is unelectable, for that reason. I don't really get it.
Why does she have that effect?

Keep studying, you might some day get it.

In other words, you don't know either, and you also don't really get it. The difference between you and McTag is that you are one of these very Americans that don't like her!

You really don't know why you dislike her? If you do know why, why are you being coy? Can't you articulate your dislike of her?

Does anyone really have to ask why misogynist Republican men hate Hillary so much?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 07:15 am
Anyone notice "likability" appearing in the debates? and not as a good thing.

~~~

Interesting.

The 'experts' had previously pointed out that electability is a no-go as a discussion point, so off they head on likability as a negative.

~~~

Roxxxanne, you're seriously misreading things if you thing the hatred/dislike of Hillary is limited to men or Republicans. As blatham has been talking about for at least two years, it's much more pervasive in the U.S.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:25 am
snood wrote:
The question qas asked of Hillary "Why do you think you're not as likable as Barack Obama?" And I think her response may have been one small (possibly the first, for me) glimpse of her unguarded human side. She paused, did a weak smile, then kind of choked out "well, that hurts my feelings." I was all prepared to scoff at whatever she responded with, but I swear she actually sounded genuinely hurt that polls show her to be unlikable. It might have been her most likable moment

I dont think she was genuinely hurt; but I do think she played that moment brilliantly. She's all silent, another pause, dramatic effect; "but I'll survive.." It was funny, it was self-deprecating, it was an ironic relativation of such discussions, and she really used her female charm there. I only saw the second half of the debate, but I thought that was her best moment by far.. I was impressed.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:45 am
Quote:
Obama sounds like a pastor in the pulpit when he starts

Amen to that! Good reason to not vote for him, especially if you're not a Christian.

Does Obama shake his bootie and wave his arms in the air too?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:01 am
Miller wrote:
Quote:
Obama sounds like a pastor in the pulpit when he starts

Amen to that! Good reason to not vote for him, especially if you're not a Christian.

Does Obama shake his bootie and wave his arms in the air too?

Do you even notice it when you cross the line between irony and insult, or should we just chalk up your obliviousness to that as part of your winning charm?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:05 am
Personally, I believe, Hillary will just move into a cabinet post if the Democrats win and she's not on the ticket. Or, if the Republicans win, she'll be involved in some other aspect of public service. My point is, these people seem to have a need for the type of public service that keeps them in the public eye. They are the "thinking man's (or woman's)" Hollywood gossip, in my opinion.

I believe many politicians love the spotlight. Their schtick is too cerebral for actually being in Hollywood, so politics just may be a booby prize of sorts for some.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:16 am
Politics. Like a first grade popularity contest. Hillary has paid her dues. Where's Ross Perot?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:20 am
The "Financial Times" has endorsed Hillary Clinton for President.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 11:14 am
Is she a practising lesbian, and if so, could that hurt her?

Please avoid the obvious joke. Embarrassed

To re-phrase: How much could that tell against her in the opinion polls, if widely believed?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 11:50 am
nimh wrote:
snood wrote:
The question qas asked of Hillary "Why do you think you're not as likable as Barack Obama?" And I think her response may have been one small (possibly the first, for me) glimpse of her unguarded human side. She paused, did a weak smile, then kind of choked out "well, that hurts my feelings." I was all prepared to scoff at whatever she responded with, but I swear she actually sounded genuinely hurt that polls show her to be unlikable. It might have been her most likable moment

I dont think she was genuinely hurt; but I do think she played that moment brilliantly. She's all silent, another pause, dramatic effect; "but I'll survive.." It was funny, it was self-deprecating, it was an ironic relativation of such discussions, and she really used her female charm there. I only saw the second half of the debate, but I thought that was her best moment by far.. I was impressed.

Mind you, I said she sounded genuinely hurt. I turned to my partner and said "that's a nice touch - she even teared up a little". If she was less of a politician and could display some real emotion (besides the obvious anger like when she was waylaid by Edwards) I might even like her.

It was nonetheless her best moment during that debate.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 11:56 am
McTag wrote:

To re-phrase: How much could that tell against her in the opinion polls, if widely believed?

See, this is the type of stuff that the right has been slinging at her for years. There is no evidence at all that Hill is a dyke and she has even flatly denied it. My gaydar tells me that she is most likely bi as are many, many women.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 12:22 pm
alex240101 wrote:
Politics. Like a first grade popularity contest. Hillary has paid her dues. Where's Ross Perot?

He'll candidate with Bloomberg as the "Capitalists".
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:04 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
okie wrote:
McTag wrote:

She seems to attract a lot of hatred, polarising the vote. Dems (some of them) might think she is unelectable, for that reason. I don't really get it.

In other words, you don't know either, and you also don't really get it. The difference between you and McTag is that you are one of these very Americans that don't like her!

You really don't know why you dislike her? If you do know why, why are you being coy? Can't you articulate your dislike of her?

I know why, as do tens of other millions of Americans. To qualify, I hate nobody. I don't hate Ms. Clinton, but to be honest, she is abrasive, aloof, arrogant, and just not very likeable.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:05 pm
McTag wrote:

The question itself is offensive; but then again you have a monarchy that's half German. (Nothing wrong with that, but do you like to be on the receiving end of inappropriate statements?)
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:11 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
McTag wrote:

See, this is the type of stuff that the right has been slinging at her for years. There is no evidence at all that Hill is a dyke and she has even flatly denied it. My gaydar tells me that she is most likely bi as are many, many women.

I didn't think lesbians married such heterosexual males as her husband. I believe her husband proves she is 100% heterosexual. I believe this canard has more to do with her matronly persona at her current age, rather than any facts.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:18 pm
okie wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
okie wrote:
McTag wrote:

I know why, as do tens of other millions of Americans. To qualify, I hate nobody. I don't hate Ms. Clinton, but to be honest, she is abrasive, aloof, arrogant, and just not very likeable.

The fact that you think her not likeable doesn't make her not likeable. She is actually quite likeable, inasmuch as she charmed the voters of New York State to elect her as a Senator. New Yorkers are known to be quite the snob, when it comes to liking transplants from elsewhere (wanting to be a New Yorker). She did this with the greatest of ease.

I wouldn't be surprised if years from now historians pointed out that many people resented her for her ability to ingratiate herself with the State of New York, while much of the rest of the country lives and dies as the proverbial country mice. Just my opinion.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:32 pm
People will vote for anyone that will forward their agenda. Likeability is not an absolute requirement; Nixon proved that.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 10:03 pm
okie wrote:
People will vote for anyone that will forward their agenda. Likeability is not an absolute requirement; Nixon proved that.

But Hillary is likeable. One doesn't have to be wearing a skirt to like her. If you think many people don't like her, that could be correct. However, I believe an equal number of people do like her, and likely those people are from a different demographic. Don't forget this is a big country, the size of three Europes. And, your ignoring my point about her charming New Yorkers is typical for this forum.

And, by the way, people like Nixon; he ended the Vietnam war.

This concern with likeability in this thread is silly, in my opinion.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 10:06 pm
Foofie wrote:
Don't forget this is a big country, the size of three Europes.

<smiles at Foofie>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 10:07 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
He'll candidate with Bloomberg as the "Capitalists".

Heh Smile
0 Replies