Will Hillary Clinton become "likeable."

Gala

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 02:33 pm
Al Gore couldn't get past being "wooden." Even after they airbrushed a super-sized shlong on his portrait cover of Rolling Stone.

http://www.taylormarsh.com/images2/8a_1.jpg

Embarrassing stuff.

As for Hillary Clinton, her finishing 3rd is a surprise. Although the race has just begun, I think it's going to be cringe-ifying to watch her try to shake, rattle and roll her way into seeming more loose.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,393 • Replies: 73
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 02:55 pm
To whom?
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 03:14 pm
woiyo wrote:
To whom?

To whom, what?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 04:13 pm
Why don't the Americans like Hillary?

She seems to attract a lot of hatred, polarising the vote. Dems (some of them) might think she is unelectable, for that reason. I don't really get it.
Why does she have that effect?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 04:15 pm
McTag wrote:

She seems to attract a lot of hatred, polarising the vote. Dems (some of them) might think she is unelectable, for that reason. I don't really get it.

The answer lies in another question, and that's this: what is there to like? What positive qualities can be attributed to her?

The list is short, for many.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

paull

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 06:37 pm
Quote:
The answer lies in another question, and that's this: what is there to like? What positive qualities can be attributed to her?

The list is short, for many.

Absofrigginlutely.

Hillary acts as though the job is hers for the taking. The majority of wily Iowans apparently noted that she sponsors no original legislation, is firmly saddled on both sides of every issue, and is dragging around a platonic assistant who managed to wile away 8 years effortlessly, and pointlessly.

What a relief. Now it is time for O and JE to insert feet in mouths, as they will, to make an even race.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 06:42 pm
If you smile a lot, give the answers to questions asked that the majority agree with, don't rock the boat and are friendly and point out that you are not part of the washington crowd you too can be president. Its how bush did it.
0 Replies

paull

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 07:30 pm
Quote:
Its how bush did it.

And Clinton, both twice.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 07:47 pm
Perhaps she should just grab the mantle of unlikeable and run with it. "Yes, I'm tough as nails and you don't have to like me", etc. The Iron Lady mantle worked for Thatcher.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:54 am
I don't know that she can. It's just not in her nature.

This doesn't necessarily make her a bad person, and likeability doesn't ensure that someone is a good person (witness her husband).

I agree with engineer. She would be better served embracing her tough broad image and stop trying to lighten things up. Her Wicked Witch of The West cackling has clearly back-fired. It is obvious that the woman is entirely uncomfortable with laughing. This is pretty strange. Most of the people who I have known that were incapable of genuine laughter were pretty screwy.

Likeable people are (big surprise!) liked by people. One need not be likeable to be elected as long as one is respected and admired (and maybe even a bit feared), but it seems to me the kiss of death to be perceived as trying to be likeable and failing. It's kind of creepy.

Likewise, she needs to tone down her tendency to shout during stump speeches. She's not able to pull it off. Obama sounds like a pastor in the pulpit when he starts to raise his voice, but Hillary just sounds strident and forced.

Perhaps there is a natural disadvantage in terms of being a woman in this regard, and she need to stop trying to present the stereotypical image of a candidate for president - all of whom have, heretofore, been men. When she speaks calmly and without undue emotion she comes across much better.

There are things called microphones.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:57 am
Gala wrote:
woiyo wrote:
To whom?

To whom, what?

To woiyo, I'm sure. Also to Roger. Not in this lifetime, anyway.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 01:55 am
Has anyone ever seen her legs? Are these legs electable?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 09:58 pm
If legs are the criteria, Hillary certainly beats McCain and Thompson... in fact she might beat any candidate except for Romney.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 10:15 pm
I bet Edwards has good legs.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 10:18 pm
I'm so glad I looked at a serious thread for a moment... Embarrassed
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 10:20 pm
I'm with engineer and Finn on this one. I think it's worse to be perceived as a chameleon than an ice queen. She should own it. I, for one, would like her a lot better then.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 11:02 pm
I tell ya, I saw a moment in tonight's debate that said something to me in regards to the whole "likability" aspect of the campaign.

The question qas asked of Hillary "Why do you think you're not as likable as Barack Obama?" And I think her response may have been one small (possibly the first, for me) glimpse of her unguarded human side. She paused, did a weak smile, then kind of choked out "well, that hurts my feelings." I was all prepared to scoff at whatever she responded with, but I swear she actually sounded genuinely hurt that polls show her to be unlikable. It might have been her most likable moment

But, just as Finn thinks it not in her nature to turn complete attack-dog in her approach, I don't think she will try to put on display her vulnerability either. Pity. I think it could be a big selling point for her.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 11:23 pm
McTag wrote:

Keep studying, you might some day get it.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 12:37 am
okie wrote:
McTag wrote:

Keep studying, you might some day get it.

In other words, you don't know either, and you also don't really get it. The difference between you and McTag is that you are one of these very Americans that don't like her!

You really don't know why you dislike her? If you do know why, why are you being coy? Can't you articulate your dislike of her?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 01:06 am
snood wrote:
The question qas asked of Hillary "Why do you think you're not as likable as Barack Obama?" And I think her response may have been one small (possibly the first, for me) glimpse of her unguarded human side. She paused, did a weak smile, then kind of choked out "well, that hurts my feelings." I was all prepared to scoff at whatever she responded with, but I swear she actually sounded genuinely hurt that polls show her to be unlikable. It might have been her most likable moment
0 Replies