The ontological assumptions of science.

Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 01:46 pm
Terry wrote:
Please post your reference for any experimental evidence that an ontic reality does not exist. Do you honestly believe that the universe did not come into existence until there were observers to talk about it? Then where did the observers come from? How did they communicate before they invented photons?

How do fish and other non-languaging animals interact with the world if there is no ontic reality?

What is the functional value in claiming that there is no ontic reality, when we have to deal with the world as if it is really there anyway? Can observers create or change reality simply by agreeing on what is true? Do you know of any instances where this has been documented?

Why do people die in automobile accidents? If there is no ontic reality and the consensus of all of the victims, police, paramedics, doctors, and family members is that they should live, who got together and decided that they would die?

Unless and until you answer questions such as Terry has asked in this post (to which you have not responded), i can hardly take your position seriously, Fresco.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 02:05 pm
Setanta,

I've dealt with "evidence" and I could deal with "truth" in a similar manner...namely that such functional concepts pre-suppose an "ontic reality".

The lack of comprehension by Terry is apparent by the use of "simply" as in the phrase "simply agreeing". Forget "simple" ! Maturana takes pages to describe what he means by "structural coupling" (his term to describe communication). Similarly he takes pages to describe how "thought" is an epiphenomenon of "cognition" which he applies to all "life". In no way could this be termed "simple stuff".

Once again I'm afraid I'm moved to a parody.

A good worker in an established factory is approached by his brother with money to set up a rival factory as a partnership. "But who is going to pay the wages ?" moans his (entrenched) wife.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 09:01 am
fresco wrote:
Setanta,

Laughing
It is Joe who claims that Maturana says everything is "just words" !
Nothing could be further from the facts.

My position is far more complicated than that. I cannot explain it to you in terms that you would understand. I encourage you to read all of the posts that I have ever submitted to this forum. Only then will you be able to understand my position.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 09:50 am
Well, Fresco, you have failed to answer Terry's objections about how animals who do not have language are able to interact with their environments, and whether or not there was any "reality" before sentience was present to observe it. It seems to me that you are dodging the hard questions, for which i suspect you have no plausible answer.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 11:03 am
Setanta,

See if you can understand this because all dealings with Terry (going back up to five years) have drawn a blank. What we call "an animal", "environment" and "interaction" take on a very different meaning from a nondualist position such as that of Maturana. For example the "identity" (persistence) of "an animal" lies within its "organization" and not its "structural composition". An organism continuously exchanges and assimilates matter from its environment like a tornado exhanges debris and air molecules. For Maturana it does NOT exchange "information" because that presupposes a separate "cognitive system" to organizational assimilation of "matter". Thus Maturana takes a deflationist and behaviourist view of "thinking" and sees it as an epiphenomenon of "languaging" i.e. a covert physical activity (in our parlance).

Unless the reader is prepared to start at first principles with Maturana's axioms about the nature of "life" and from there to build to a position where "language" is seen as an "autopoietic" (biologically organizational )activity, there is no way that questions like Terry's can be answered to his/her satisfaction. The analogy is perhaps like an ancient believer in "bleeding" as a cure, with a vested interest in their status of possessing "knowledge", being unable to entertain the view that they might have harmed their patients if they were to accept some "new-fangled paradigm" about "oxygenated blood". in Maturana's case the patient referred to is "humankind" or even "the planet".

And irrespective of Maturana's particular biological and political nondualistic stance, there is sufficient conventional "evidence" from modern physics to undermine traditional views of the status of "the observer" and his assumptions of an "ontic reality". Arguing "no there isn't" is for me the ignorant swansong of that ancient physician as the curtain falls on his outmoded paradigm.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 12:12 pm
As a dodge, that doesn't even rate a "nice try." You have completely avoided the question of whether or not ontic reality exists for organism which don't have langauge, and whether or not ontic reality only came into being when sentience arose, and in which case you have provided no explanation for what went before.

Absent such an explanation, one can only conclude that you must believe in a theistic creation.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 12:36 pm
Theistic creation ! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Maturana bases his ideas partly on Prigogine's demonstration of the appearance of spontaneous structure in complex dynamic processes far from equilibrium.

Sorry Setanta but I don't think I can get down to the level of the lay concept of "creation"....creation of what ?...."ontic reality?" Smile

Here endeth the lesson. Thankyou for your responses, and I hope you do take the time to do a little of the reading.

(BTW You kept talking about (1) before (2) sentience, but even physicists have agreed that (1) time is (2) a psychological construct. Ergo "before sentience" is vacuous from the metaphysical position :wink: ).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 03:49 pm
The lesson is not only not taken, it isn't credited. I offer the metaphysicians the same advice offered them by Dr. Johnson--to stub their feet against a stone whenever they doubt reality.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 04:20 pm
....but then again Dr Johnson never experienced the nuances of "reality" such as cyberspace, in which "real people" design and sell "virtual" accessories (for "real" money) for the use of the "lives" of avatars.

....nor was he familiar with subatomic particles which behaved differently according to the method of observation.... nor of particles which though apparently "separated in space" acted as a single entity.

So keep stubbing that toe by all means, and keep "bleeding it" to ease the discomfort !
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 12:37 am
Fresco, I understand what you're saying. I just don't agree with it.

fresco wrote:
[Setanta] wrote:
Reality does not shift as paradigms shift

But that position is the epitome of "a priviledged one". Einstein himself overthrew such a theologally important position with his rejection of Newton's "fixed frame of reference". And he himself was obliged to concede his view of "reality" in the light of the failure of his challenge to QM with respect to "non-locality".

Einstein contended that the speed of light is the same for all non-accelerating observers, regardless of their frame of reference. (Since "speed" is distance over time, and time is given an equal footing with spatial dimensions, it seems that at least one physicist believed in the existence of time.)

Quote:
All "information" is subject(s) dependent. Note also that in a celebrated experiment by Asch, a subject would "mis-report" what he saw in a simple picture in order to conform with the staged reports of stooges posing as fellow subjects.

I agree that we each create our own perceptions of reality, but there has to be an underlying ontic reality which is the source of both the brain and the sensory data which it uses to construct its ideas. We may modify our perceptions based on what others tell us, but consensus may not reflect Truth. And if there were not an ontic reality, how could Asch's subjects be "wrong" in their reports … unless reality can be determined by majority vote instead of consensus?

Quote:
For example the "identity" (persistence) of "an animal" lies within its "organization" and not its "structural composition". An organism continuously exchanges and assimilates matter from its environment like a tornado exhanges debris and air molecules. For Maturana it does NOT exchange "information" because that presupposes a separate "cognitive system" to organizational assimilation of "matter". Thus Maturana takes a deflationist and behaviourist view of "thinking" and sees it as an epiphenomenon of "languaging" i.e. a covert physical activity (in our parlance).

This would seem to be at odds with your previous assertions. I thought that the whole point of your argument is that the information exchange is all that is real. Are you now saying that the organism, the matter, and the environment actually exist, or are they still figments of your imagination? And once again, did matter, organisms and environment predate languaging?

Quote:
Maturana bases his ideas partly on Prigogine's demonstration of the appearance of spontaneous structure in complex dynamic processes far from equilibrium.

I doubt that Maturana is correctly applying Prigogine's work on thermodynamics.

You have a tendency to throw in made-up words (such as "languaging" and "thingers" and "structural coupling"), reference scientists whose work is not actually applicable to the subject, and throw out red herrings (or turtles) to divert attention from your failure to respond to direct questions. Setanta kindly reminded you of what the questions were. How about some answers?

Quote:
(BTW You kept talking about (1) before (2) sentience, but even physicists have agreed that (1) time is (2) a psychological construct. Ergo "before sentience" is vacuous from the metaphysical position ).

Physicists pretty much agree that time really exists. The perception of time is psychological, but its existence is a necessary part of any scientific paradigm. Biologists agree that there was non-sentient life for billions of years before sentience. What is vacuous is this metaphysical position, itself.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 12:39 am
joefromchicago wrote:
My position is far more complicated than that. I cannot explain it to you in terms that you would understand. I encourage you to read all of the posts that I have ever submitted to this forum. Only then will you be able to understand my position.

Laughing
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 01:07 am
Terry,

It is interesting that most members of the censorship committee refuse to read the actual material.

Try googling "Maturana Prigogine".

(Its O.K. I'll you another few years. :wink: )

Regards fresco.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 09:08 am
fresco wrote:
So keep stubbing that toe by all means, and keep "bleeding it" to ease the discomfort !

How very silly you are . . . it is not i who stubs his toe, or needs to do so, because i do not doubt the reality of the rock. My advice, as was the case with Dr. Johnson, was directed at the metaphysicians.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 09:43 am
No Setanta, it is you who needs to keep replaying a toe stubbing scenario in your head and in order to imagine the proxy "pain" as a non verbal "evidence" of your "reality". My position, that "rock's properties" are merely "statements" or "languaging actions" made by organisms seeking control of their parochial interactive experiences, completely escapes you in its pofundity.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 09:51 am
fresco wrote:
It is interesting that most members of the censorship committee refuse to read the actual material.

Try googling "Maturana Prigogine".

The "censorship committee"? In what country? Perhaps they just didn't want to be bored to death by pseudoscientific drivel? :wink:

Try answering my questions.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 10:03 am
"Pseudoscientific Drivel" Smile

A valuable comment from a non-reading member of the committee !
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 10:23 am
Quote:
Science
We as scientists make scientific statements. These statements are validated by the procedure we use to generate them: the scientific method. This method can be described as involving the following operations: (a) observation of a phenomenon that, henceforth, is taken as a problem to be explained; (b) proposition of an explanatory hypothesis in the form of a deterministic system that can generate a phenomenon isomorphic with the one observed, (c) proposition of a computed state or process in the system specified by the hypothesis as a predicted phenomenon to be observed; and (d) observation of the predicted phenomenon.
In the first operation, the observer specifies a procedure of observation that, in turn, specifies the phenomenon that he or she will attempt to explain. In the second, the observer proposes a conceptual or concrete system as a model of the system that he or she assumes generates the observed phenomenon. In the third, the observer uses the proposed model to compute a state or a process that he or she proposes as a predicted phenomenon to be observed in the modelled system. Finally, in the fourth operation he or she attempts to observe the predicted phenomenon as a case in the modelled system. If the observer succeeds in making this second observation, he or she then maintains that the model has been validated and that the system under study is in that respect isomorphic to it and operates accordingly. Granted all the necessary constraints for the specification of the model, and all the necessary attempts to deny the second observations as controls, this is all that the scientific method permits.
This we all know. Yet we are seldom aware that an observation is the realization of a series of operations that entail an observer as a system with properties that allow him or her to perform these operations, and, hence, that the properties of the observer, by specifying the operations that he or she can perform determine the observer's domain of possible observations. Nor are we usually aware that, because only those statements that we generate as observers through the use of the scientific method are scientific statements, science is necessarily a domain of socially accepted operational statements validated by a procedure that specifies the observer who generates them as the standard observer who can perform the operations required for their generation. In other words, we are not usually aware that science is a closed cognitive domain in which all statements are, of necessity, subject dependent, valid only in the domain of interactions in which the standard observer exists and operates. As observers we generally take the observer for granted and, by accepting his universality by implication, ascribe many of the invariant features of our descriptions that depend on the standard observer to a reality that is ontologically objective and independent of us. Yet the power of science rests exactly on its subject dependent nature, which allows us to deal with the operative domain in which we exist. It is only when we want to consider the observer as the object of our scientific inquiry, and we want to understand both what he does when he makes scientific statements and how these statements are operationally effective, that we encounter a problem if we do not recognize the subject dependent nature of science. Therefore, since I want to give a scientific description of the observer as a system capable of descriptions (language), I must take the subject dependent nature of science as my starting point.

From Maturana's "Biology of Language" 1978 (Emphasis mine).
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 10:47 am
Terry wrote:
You have a tendency to throw in made-up words (such as "languaging" and "thingers" and "structural coupling"), reference scientists whose work is not actually applicable to the subject, and throw out red herrings (or turtles) to divert attention from your failure to respond to direct questions. Setanta kindly reminded you of what the questions were. How about some answers?

I'm sure you're aware that asking fresco to answer your questions is a fool's errand. As he has amply demonstrated in the past, fresco defends his positions through obfuscation, evasion, and bewildering, impenetrable jargon, where even the most "common" "terms" are "set off" by "quotation marks" so that "you" don't "know" what the "hell" he's "talking" about. Furthermore, he will instruct you to read volumes of works that he himself can't possibly summarize or explain, and, if you actually do read some of the works he recommends (as I have done on several occasions), he'll sputter and mumble that those works aren't really important after all and that it's really some other work that is crucial to understanding his position.

Meanwhile, fresco continues to rail against "naive realism" while, at the same time, he constantly cites and relies upon the work of scientists who are, without question, thorough-going realists themselves and whose work relies upon the realist assumptions that fresco ostensibly rejects. The fact is, fresco accepts realism, he just doesn't accept that he accepts realism.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 11:23 am
Dear, dear.

My niece is an optician Joe. Maybe you should give her a call.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 12:56 pm
fresco wrote:
Dear, dear.

My niece is an optician Joe. Maybe you should give her a call.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't believe in long-distance relationships.
0 Replies