Awwww, Gumby......

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 01:19 pm
I didn't know where to put this - music, film, or art, so here we are in general news.

Rest in peace, Sneaky Pete Kleinow.

"Sneaky Pete" Kleinow: A musician and special-effects artist who helped animate the green clay character Gumby and designed special effects for "Star Wars."
While Kleinow's movie-making talents earned him a 1983 Emmy for the "Winds of War" miniseries, he is best known for his music, which included sessions with some of the biggest names in the business.
Kleinow played guitar with John Lennon, Joni Mitchell and Billy Joel, to name a few, and opened for the Rolling Stones at Altamont as the guitarist for the Flying Burrito Brothers.
He played what some called a psychedelic pedal steel guitar, catching the eye of the Byrds' Gram Parsons and Chris Hillman in Los Angeles, resulting in the creation of the Flying Burrito Brothers band.
Kleinow died on Jan. 6 in Petaluma of complications related to Alzheimer's. He was 72.

source -
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/01/01/MNALTV8AQ.DTL
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,321 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 01:20 pm
RIP Pete
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 01:30 pm
I guess it is somewhat sad that it took a year for anyone to notice. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 01:32 pm
Yeah, it was in a who died this year type article....
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 01:34 pm
Thanks for the post, Ossobuco
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 01:38 pm
Well, even worse than date confusion, I never heard of him, and I used to follow the Byrds, saw Star Wars, and have liked Gumby, and am the type who used to stay to watch the credits after movies. Must have been one talented guy.
0 Replies