The Half Ton Man

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 05:25 pm
I just watched the most fascinating, inspiring, and yet heartbreaking documentary: The Half Ton Man.

Obesity is reaching epidemic proportions in the world today. Is there a fat gene? Science seems to think there is. Many people feel hungry every minute they are awake and fight the fact they know they are literally killing themselves with every bite they take.

One man in the documentary lost 706 pounds! Yet, when he reached 198 pounds he celebrated by having a hot dog, which turned into two, three, etc. He now is morbidly obese again and isn't ready to go back into rehab at a center that has great success in helping these people.

When I was younger I could eat virtually anything and not gain weight. I'm almost 52 and it's not quite that easy for me to keep my weight to what is comfortable for me. I am able to do it, but watching this video scared me. One woman in the video was actually eight feet wide when she got help.

I have seen shows on TV where two year old children weigh nearly 200 pounds all because their parents want to appease the child and stop their fussing.

Does anyone out there have a big problem with their weight? How do you combat it? Is food an addiction? Is over-eating a disease like drug addiction or alcoholism?

http://video.google.de/videopopup?q=http%3A%2F%2Fvp.video.google.com%2Fvideodownload%3Fversion%3D0%26secureurl%3DsAAAAMXof40GdpFvqdqHAFeS1x3x8aLEDJz9k_CyFFM4MEvrDXLxH76i79kMa6-1bwjuVpTC5x-DYGlYLdm2cJYV32UTtwvPa_f43WAUiTB0z62CxU4EHjdiV9XZLtpWEoE49pcmOIZpIZZ8GTxkqs_7A-ydVWGPedJernmB0Aac_nU-AKEfa-W6G4vbmqZjWZ9cRNQGfOcFfHtCxbAEKPi3mdyxkEdzO4PpMfrN0hqeCNtwq2osSP5SMW9YdvrJ2cJK2Q%26sigh%3Dn0ABNIC1SsAPccrBlBjtFN-seg4%26begin%3D127800%26len%3D2956800%26docid%3D-162531092497573171&docid=-162531092497573171&fscid=fsc_951442126&windowtitle=The+Half+Ton+Man+-+Google+Video+-+Vollbildmodus

Now, THAT'S a link! LOL
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,815 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 05:46 pm
Smile I'm watching it right now. It's pretty good.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 05:53 pm
When I worked at State Farm there were two women there that had the gastric bypass surgery. One was morbidly obese and one wasn't quite as big. The morbidly obese girl, 23 years of age if I remember correctly, lost 40 pounds and then gained it all back and more. She couldn't eat much at a sitting but what she ate and how often she ate it caused her to balloon her weight. She admitted that she didn't exercise like the doctors suggested. Such a shame to go through that drastic a surgery and not have a resolution.

The other woman within six months had a model's figure! She wasn't so obese that she needed skin removed. She was so happy with the results.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 05:54 pm
Canadians are all sleek-like-otter!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 05:59 pm
I know obesity is a huge problem here in the United States. Is it really not an issue in Canada Chumly? If not, is there a reason it isn't?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 06:01 pm
I think the problem and cure is psychological. They should spend more time on the psycology of it coupled with the surgery.

Oh, now there getting into that part.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 06:30 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
I know obesity is a huge problem here in the United States. Is it really not an issue in Canada Chumly? If not, is there a reason it isn't?
It depends where you live, Asians on the West Coast seem immune, more people on the prairies and central Canada are fat.

Every time I cross the border into Washington State it seems I become a dwarf compared to the Washingtonians, and every time I go into Vancouver BC it seems I am a giant compared to all the Asians.

I'm 5' 8" 155 - 160 lbs so I'm where I should.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 06:36 pm
Here are some pretty shocking statistics:
Quote:
U.S. Obesity Trends
During the past 20 years there has been a dramatic increase in obesity in the United States.

Currently, more than 64% of US adults are either overweight or obese, according to results from the 1999-2000 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES). This figure represents a 14% increase in the prevalence rate from NHANES III (1988-94) and a 36% increase from NHANES II (1976 -80). (Prevalence is the percentage of the population that falls into the designated category.)

The greatest increase took place in the obese group (Body Mass Index > 30), where the prevalence doubled from NHANES II (1976-80). Roughly 59 million American adults are in this group, which is at the greatest health risk. (Please note that NHANES data are based on weights and heights as actually measured by trained health professionals using standardized measuring equipment.)

http://www.naaso.org/statistics/obesity_trends.asp
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 06:47 pm
According to Statistics Canada in 2004:

36.1% of Canadians aged 18 or older were overweight
23.1% of Canadians aged 18 or older were obese

Quote:
The percentage of Canadians who are overweight or obese has risen dramatically in recent years, mirroring a worldwide phenomenon.1, 2, 3, 4 The health consequences of excess weight are well known. It is a risk factor for type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, osteoarthritis, some cancers and gallbladder disease.5, 6, 7 As well, psychosocial problems, functional limitations and disabilities are associated with excess weight.5, 8

For more than a decade, information about the weight of Canadians has been based on self-reports, that is, survey respondents reported their own height and weight rather than being measured and weighed. However, such data are known to underestimate the prevalence of overweight and obesity.9, 10, 11, 12 The 2004 Canadian Community Health Survey: Nutrition (CCHS), which directly measured respondents' height and weight, makes it possible to draw a more accurate picture (see Data sources and analytical techniques).

Majority overweight or obese
According to the 2004 CCHS, 23.1% of Canadians aged 18 or older, an estimated 5.5 million adults, had a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or more, indicating that they were obese (Table 1) (see What is BMI?). This is significantly higher than estimates derived from self-reported data collected in 2003, which yield an obesity rate of 15.2% (see Methodology makes a difference). Another 8.6 million, or 36.1%, were overweight.
http://www.statcan.ca/english/research/82-620-MIE/2005001/articles/adults/aobesity.htm
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 06:53 pm
I think it is very scary that obesity is becoming such a widespread concern. I am shocked that the percentage of overweight people is so high.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 06:56 pm
If the statistics are correct:

64% of US adults are either overweight or obese
59.2% of Canadian adults are either overweight or obese

Essentially then both countries sport similar numbers.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 07:11 pm
I'm not overweight. But I love food. I eat when i'm not hungry.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 07:13 pm
I am not overweight but if I get over 107 pounds I feel uncomfortable. I have five pounds I want to drop. I eat a lot too when I'm not hungry. Sometimes it is just for something to do. I guess it's lazy of me. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 07:49 pm
I watched that documentary on Patrick Deuel a while back....too bad he's gained some weight back. But there's always hope he'll get back on track.

Besides the obvious medical issues with him, I was disturbed by the co-dependant relationship with his wife.

At his worst, he weighed 1,072 pounds. He was unable to even roll over in bed, let alone get to the refrigerator or supermarket....he couldn't even get to a phone or a computer to order food if you put it 10 feet away from him.

So....who was feeding his all that crap? Who was bringing it to him?

She feels she's showing love by bringing him to deaths door because he asked for (or begged or ranted) for food. And not just food....garbage.

I understand love for your spouse, but theirs is not a healthy relationship.

Also, in the video, after he had gotten under 500 pounds, Patrick said "I avoid foods with a lot of fat and sodium"....as he was snacking on individual size bags on salted nuts and potato chips.

In the scene before that (after his gastic bypass and much weight loss), the wife brought him dinner....Kentucky Fried Chicken.

"Oh", she said, "Here's your protein", as she waved an extra crispy drumstick at him.

My husband loves egg sald. When I make it, I through out 4 out of the 12 yolks, and mix in a pound of tofu....he never knows the difference. (BTW, he's very thin, but has a heart condition).

Wifey could maybe take some lessons from me.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 07:55 pm
I agree Chai. I noticed that when Patrick went home from the hospital his wife was steadily gaining weight and no one said a word. I was appalled at the fact she was feeding him four eggs, KFC, etc.! She had no idea how many calories were in the eggs!

I guess that it's just like with a drug addict, alcoholic, etc. Morbidly obese people have enablers too.

BTW, cool trick on the egg salad!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 08:03 pm
Just an aside....if you're thinking of mixing tofu with eggs or other foods, you have to do it right.

Buy only extra firm or firm tofu, wrap the loaf in paper towels and place a heavy object on it for maybe half and hour.

This presses out the excess moisture, giving it more the consistancy of boiled eggs, it will aquire the taste of the dressing and eggs....or if you're going to cook it for or with something else, it doesn't have all that moisture in it spattering all over.

tofu is your friend.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 08:09 pm
Thanx Chai!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 09:00 pm
When I was in elementary school in the 1960's-70's, I don't remember having any obese classmates ( a few with a little chub, but not fat). I grew up without a microwave or fast food, my mother considered things like pop tarts and Chef Boyardi (sp?) the work of evil beings. I came home, ate an apple, did my homework and played outside until I was called for a dinner that consisted of a protein, a vegetable and maybe a starch like rice. Weight was not an issue for any of my girlfriends until we decided in High School that we should look like supermodels.

About eight years ago I went to help out at my niece's elementary school and was shocked by how many fat (some obese) kids were in the school. Probably about a 1/4th of the students needed to lose about 20lbs or more. I think the easy access to junk food and video addiction is the reason.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 09:11 pm
I sincerely pray that someone somewhere gets a hold of the parents of this child and does something!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=499925&in_page_id=1811&ito=1490
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 09:31 am
I'm not sure if this was meant to be funny or not, but I don't find it funny at all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_13/188297063/
0 Replies